Read 26612 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: "Why Koreans dislike foreigners"
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2020, 07:44:07 pm »
... Instead of simply a section for citations, they need a section for works ignored or discounted.

A well written piece does just that.

“Jones did not correct for...”
“Smith’s data set was small...”
“Brown’s results could not be replicated (Green, White)”

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2020, 08:44:36 am »
Why does anyone not like anybody? Ultimately, who cares. If you are the slightest bit concerned that a person doesn't like you, you have already lost. It is immeasurably unimportant what anyone thinks about you. The only important thing in life is, do you like you?

I like me. I don't care what anyone else thinks. You should, everyone should, feel the exact same.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2020, 11:04:01 am »
Humans are social creatures. Rejection hurts. Pursuing likability is a worthy endeavor (to some extent).

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2020, 05:39:12 am »
Humans evolved to want to be members of a tribe. Being an outcast could be very threatening to your survival during paleolithic times.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2020, 06:53:07 am »
Exactly. Guys who claim to not care about what others think would in fact care a lot if a hot babe appeared grossed out by their presence.

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2020, 08:52:42 am »
Why does anyone not like anybody? Ultimately, who cares. If you are the slightest bit concerned that a person doesn't like you, you have already lost. It is immeasurably unimportant what anyone thinks about you. The only important thing in life is, do you like you?

I like me. I don't care what anyone else thinks. You should, everyone should, feel the exact same.

There are plenty of evolutionary and psychological reasons why people care about whether or not others like/dislike them. I'm sorry we can't all be Amazon's first attempt at AI like you.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2020, 09:22:20 am »
Exactly. Guys who claim to not care about what others think would in fact care a lot if a hot babe appeared grossed out by their presence.

I agree with much of what you say, but this is missing a key factor which every life experience past and present has taught me. Money. It's the glue that binds.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2020, 10:22:52 am »
You're right about the western thing. It should be all academics. This sort of nonsense is pervasive in academia throughout the world.

Have you ever worked at this high-level of academia and the process that goes into getting these kinds of articles published? It's a field full of nonsense that's devolved into a joke. You know what academia needs? Instead of simply a section for citations, they need a section for works ignored or discounted. The fact that such a section doesn't exist, is an indicator of what a flawed process this whole thing is.

Everyone has an agenda and axe to grind and a certain crowd they want to appeal to when it comes to the social sciences. Yeah of course, the idea of racism was imported by the terrible Japanese and the terrible white man before them. Big surprise. I never saw that one coming. Korean academic blames Japan and white people for the societal ills of their country.

This is before we get to the issue of the fact that Korea is composed of individuals all of whom have different beliefs, thoughts, behaviors. etc and even then the same person can have two completely different reactions and opinions, simply because of what time of day it is or when their last meal was or if they won their pickup basketball game or what song they just listened to or any other number of factors, nothing of which has to do with academic mumbo-jumbo (well at least certain academic mumbo jumbo, others relating to the harder sciences might be quite applicable).
The axe being ground here appears to yours.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2020, 03:24:06 pm »
In the long run with bonuses, raises and perks etc... full time Korean teachers do better at public schools, though a contract teacher might be on less.

Korean hagwan teachers usually earn less than a foreigner for the same amount of work. I assume because the market place dictates it.

I see this myopic view quite often, bu the majority of Westerners don't have to:
- make phone calls to parents
- work late evenings and weekends preparing students for test time
- have meetings with parents

and a laundry list of other things.  Now of course some hagwons may require some of those things, but the majority of them you are certainly working far less than the actual Korean teachers in a typical hagwon.  There are exceptions, but the majority don't have the same requirements as Korean teachers.

When I worked at a hagwon I earned more but I also graded papers and could teach English without making an error every sentence.

Also lots of the Korean teachers I worked with couldn't have a conversation with a child in English.