Read 2807 times

• Sophyra
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2014, 11:42:29 am
    • Gunsan
Amazing Race Summer Camp!
« on: August 01, 2016, 04:17:40 am »
Just finished up this camp so I thought I would dump my materials here. I have many attachments so I'll break up my posts into days.

I had a 4 day camp. 2 periods 3/4 graders and 2 periods 5/6 graders.

*DISCLAIMER - high prep camp*

Day 1 - Introductions | English Camp Rules | Split into team and assign team colors | Make Passports | How to play the Amazing Race.

The Human Chain Ice Breaker - get in a circle (cap the group at about 6-8 people) grab one hand of another person across from you. Then, after everyone does this, grab another person's hand with the free hand. Must unknot the group without breaking the chain.

I've attached the video for the intro just encase there are any problems with it not being embedded into the PPT correctly.

~Cheers  :wink:

• Sophyra
  • Adventurer

• Gunsan
Re: Amazing Race Summer Camp!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 04:29:47 am »
Day 2 - The USA

3/4 Graders - Main focus is on colors/shapes/animals. 2 Road blocks
  • Landmark Hunt
  • Totem Pole-It-Together

Landmark Hunt - I found a 5 piece 3D puzzle of the Statue of Liberty, but you could easily find a paper puzzle to cut up and table to the balloons. Please edit the clues to fit your school's layout and hiding places.

Totem Pole-It-Together - I wanted 15-20cm foam balls to use as the totems. Students cut out the animal shapes and colored, glued, and stuck in the different pieces. I went around and skewered the balls together with a long BBQ skewer. Used hot glue to glue the bottom piece to a plate to stand up.

5/6 Graders
  • 50 States Challenge - Bwahahaha
  • Banana Split And Repeat

50 States Challenge - printed out sets of the 50 states (1 set per group). Students had to put the state names in alphabetical order.

Banana Split and Repeat - Gave students an ingredients list. They had to match the pictures of the ingredients to the names. Then had to ask the teacher "May I have (#) of (ingredient name)." If they asked it correctly, I said "Yes, you may." If not, "No you may not."  The team to match the example picture to closest, got the 1st place points. Had to improvise a lot for this challenge as many of the ingredients were bought or not correct. But the kids ate ice cream in the end, so they didn't really care.  :lipsrsealed:

• Sophyra
  • Adventurer

• Gunsan
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 04:37:28 am »
Day 3 - South Africa

3/4 Graders - 1 Road block
The totem pole challenge took longer than expected. So finishing up that challenge ran over into day 3.

Protea Flower Power - Printed out the template on 180g paper and cut out 1 set. There was a lot of cutting going on with the prep so I got tired and decided the students should cut the other 2 sets. Teams have to make 3 protea flowers.

5/6 Graders
African Necklace Challenge
South African Jeopardy

African Necklace - bought plastic plates and cut out the center. Students could either use permanent marker or paint to replicate the necklace in the PPT. First team to finish all team player's necklaces gets the 1st place points.

South African Jeopardy - pretty straight forward. Jeopardy game with questions relating South Africa

• Sophyra
  • Adventurer

• Gunsan
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:50:10 am »
Day 4 - Mexico

3/4 Graders - 1 Road block
  • Finish Protea Flowers Challenge
  • Day of the Dead Masks (if time allows)
  • "Unfried" Ice Cream

Because of the Totem challenge on Day 2 - it kind of pushed my scheduling off. So I wasn't able to finish the Protea Flower challenge on Day 3. Finish it on Day 4

Day of the Dead Masks - Students have to replicate 2 Day of the Dead masks I made. If there isn't enough time, cut this challenge.

Unfried Ice Cream - Found a pretty easy no-cook unfried ice cream recipe. I thought it would be a nice way to end camp. Instructions in the PPT.

5/6 Graders
  • My Oh Mayan!
  • English Camp Review Bomb Game

My Oh Mayan - I made mini color-coded pinatas (they took soooo f-ing long to make). I found a 7 piece 3D Mayan Pyramid puzzle. Made a pinata for each piece. Had 3 sets of these pinatas (1 for each group). Students will receive Route Info cards that give the location on where the clue is. At the end, they have to break open the pinatas, get the puzzle pieces, and put the puzzle together correctly to win.

Amazing Race Bomb Game - A Bomb Game I made to fit the theme of the camp. Contains questions relating to ALL information learned throughout the camp.

After challenges, I will tally up the team points and give out prizes and conclude camp.

• EpicLira
  • Newgookin

• July 22, 2019, 04:09:57 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:14:35 pm »
Thanks , this is great