• Archeon
  • Expert Waygook

• August 21, 2012, 02:36:28 pm
    • Ulsan
Re: Wake a drunk, get attacked, get charged with murder
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 03:29:11 pm »
1. Yes

Call police let them handle it.

2.  I don't really see enough info about the case to know the probability of a conviction.

I'd assume blood money will be paid and then that will be that.
I will tolerate your existence only so far as it doesn't infringe on science.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 05:24:34 pm »
No deed goes unpunished in SK. One night riding, I stopped to check on a drunk, elderly cyclist laying by the side of the path and although no one else had stopped, when I did some guy stopped and started accusing me of running the drunk off the road.

That's the thanks you get on the peninsula.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:25:47 pm »
No deed goes unpunished in SK. One night riding, I stopped to check on a drunk, elderly cyclist laying by the side of the path and although no one else had stopped, when I did some guy stopped and started accusing me of running the drunk off the road.

China, other countries too. 

They seriously need some Good Samaritan laws.  I guess it's only Westerners who believe in not passing that wounded stranger on the road to Jericho.  2000 years of Christianity has given us a conscience. 

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Vancouver Island
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:46:29 pm »

That's a tried & true scam in this country.  I had one person walk up to my car and literally lie down in front of it.  A few seconds later 3 people (as if they had their cue) rushed pointing towards my car speaking loudly.  I had heard of this before, but it never happened to me directly.  They started speaking loudly and pointing as if I hit this person.  When I pointed to my dash-cam, the three people stopped speaking, the man on the ground stood up and they all simply walked away.  Surreal.

Better to just avoid.  Too many people here scam those who do the right thing.

• Archeon
  • Expert Waygook

• August 21, 2012, 02:36:28 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 08:42:34 am »

That's a tried & true scam in this country.  I had one person walk up to my car and literally lie down in front of it.  A few seconds later 3 people (as if they had their cue) rushed pointing towards my car speaking loudly.  I had heard of this before, but it never happened to me directly.  They started speaking loudly and pointing as if I hit this person.  When I pointed to my dash-cam, the three people stopped speaking, the man on the ground stood up and they all simply walked away.  Surreal.

Better to just avoid.  Too many people here scam those who do the right thing.

Neat.  I'll make sure I've got a dash cam on at all times.
I will tolerate your existence only so far as it doesn't infringe on science.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:43:07 am »
http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160721000769

So... Let sleeping drunks lie?

Odds on conviction?
To be fair, I think your subject line left something out: Wake a drunk, get attacked, kill him, get charged with murder ...

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 08:48:57 am »
I really don't understand why crimes/actions are judged and sentenced based on the effects rather than on the behavior (and its intention) itself. I mean 2 people drive dangerously while drunk. One luckily doesn't seriously injure somebody while the other causes death. Or 2 people punch some drunk dude in self-defense. One sends the guy home with a black eye and his tail between his legs, the other kills the dude. Surely these things should be judged equally regardless of the incidental consequences?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:55:36 am »
I really don't understand why crimes/actions are judged and sentenced based on the effects rather than on the behavior (and its intention) itself. I mean 2 people drive dangerously while drunk. One luckily doesn't seriously injure somebody while the other causes death. Or 2 people punch some drunk dude in self-defense. One sends the guy home with a black eye and his tail between his legs, the other kills the dude. Surely these things should be judged equally regardless of the incidental consequences?

In the West, they are (generally).

Mens rea, guilty mind, is required for a conviction in the West (although your DUI example is a strange exception).

Consequences cannot be ignored, especially in cases that straddle the line between assault and manslaughter.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 09:06:46 am »
Perhaps it's cynical, but the first thing that crossed my mind was one guy came up with a pretty sh*tty alibi for what happend during a drunken fight.  Get the CCTV on this one.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 09:25:32 am »
Also, I realise that the article was most likely written by folk who are not native English speakers, buttake issue with the article title. Murder is generally defined as the unlawful killing of another human being with malice aforethought.
Title should probably use 'homicide' or 'manslaughter' rather than 'murder'. :undecided:

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 10:28:25 am »

Odds on conviction?
To be fair, I think your subject line left something out: Wake a drunk, get attacked, kill him, get charged with murder ...

Yeah, could you amend your title? Because it is misleading.

I've said this before: throwing fists is not worth it, in almost any situation. Don't do it. If someone hits you or tries to hit you, just leave and get the cops or some help. You never know what might happen.

And sure, Good Samaritan laws and all that are ideal in terms of culpability but they don't exist here so I don't know why anyone would bother interfering. Drunk guys sleep it off in public all the time and unless they are in direct danger, leave them alone or get a cop if you really feel the need to get involved.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 11:55:43 am »
+1

There was this homeless guy that looked dead (I'd never try to wake a stranger).

Just up the street was a police "station", so I popped in to take them to be guy.

The officers followed me, saw the guy, one said "Ken Chan Eye Yo" and motioned me on my way.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 01:59:22 pm »

Odds on conviction?

Yeah, could you amend your title? Because it is misleading.

I've said this before: throwing fists is not worth it, in almost any situation. Don't do it. If someone hits you or tries to hit you, just leave and get the cops or some help. You never know what might happen.

And sure, Good Samaritan laws and all that are ideal in terms of culpability but they don't exist here so I don't know why anyone would bother interfering. Drunk guys sleep it off in public all the time and unless they are in direct danger, leave them alone or get a cop if you really feel the need to get involved.

Not quite unless there are details missing and there may well be.  But if you're attacked and you punch a guy once in the head, it's normally not enough to kill someone.  In this rare case it was.  Still, the person's intent wasn't to kill and as long as it's determined that it was self defence, no charges should be brought forth.  But this is illogical Korea. 

If someone's putting a beatdown on you and you can't get away, are you seriously going to let him beat you unconscious, to death, or into having permanent brain damage?  The cops and getting blood money won't fix your brain damage or blindness or whatever after the fact.  Get away if you can, but if left no choice, then defend yourself and try to get out of there. 

Still a punch to the head normally doesn't kill people.  There's no way the person could have known that would kill someone, especially when the other person attacked him.  In an ideal world, the police would investigate and then not charge him.  But, he'll prob get many years in prison because it's Korea.  Yet, an old Korean man who rapes a kid will prob get a slap on the wrist and claim he was drunk and didn't understand.