Read 866 times

Anyone ever get an endoscopy here?
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:14:20 pm »
Anyone ever get an endoscopy here?  You know the tube with camera stuck down your throat and into your stomach?  Think I've got to do it this summer.  Unconscious.  Kind of freaks me out.  Just wondering what your experiences are.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: Anyone ever get an endoscopy here?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:40:26 am »
Ive had it done twice. Where are you getting it done? Have you been unconscious before?
It was fine for me. They insert the IV line into your arm first then when its your turn they lead you into a room where you lay down on your side. They strap a thing to your mouth so your mouth stays open and a Heart monitor. Then they inject you with the sleepy stuff. You fall asleep within seconds. Wake up 20 mins later with no inkling of them having shoved a camera down your throat. You may have a scratchy throat.

As long as you are getting it done at a decent place, you will be fine. Good luck!
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:53:13 am »
Had it done a couple of months back.
They gave me a choice of full anesthesia or a local throat numbing solution. The throat solution meant I could leave as soon as the procedure was done. Full anesthesia meant having someone being available to take you home as driving after full anesthesia is not encouraged (or waiting around a couple of hours until the anesthesia was cleared). I also avoid full anesthesia as I think it is dangerous.
So I did the throat numbing. To be honest, getting something shoved down my throat (even with a numb throat) was uncomfortable to the extreme. Good gag reflexes I suppose. Linda Lovelace I am not.
After the ordeal the nurse who recommended the throat numbing apologized. Too late. I had been violated. Let us know how it goes.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 07:39:56 am »
Ive had it done twice. Where are you getting it done? Have you been unconscious before?
It was fine for me. They insert the IV line into your arm first then when its your turn they lead you into a room where you lay down on your side. They strap a thing to your mouth so your mouth stays open and a Heart monitor. Then they inject you with the sleepy stuff. You fall asleep within seconds. Wake up 20 mins later with no inkling of them having shoved a camera down your throat. You may have a scratchy throat.

As long as you are getting it done at a decent place, you will be fine. Good luck!

Exact same experience.  Nothing happened to my throat.  I was so out of it I started speaking Korean when I woke up though which I NEVER do.  I went back to normal after like 5 minutes.

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:05:30 am »
I"ve had it done here and in Canada. The important thing to do here is to ask for the sedation. They were gonna give it to me without sedation until I asked for it. It cost me an additional 50,000 won. I've had it done back in Canada without sedation, and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. With sedation, its a piece of cake.

• Hau5fly
  • Veteran

• March 16, 2015, 04:06:54 am
    • London
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:17:08 am »
I've had one done at a university hospital last year. Went full anesthetic, it was totally fine. They ask you a bunch of questions before hand to see what kind of drug they should use, you're asleep AND awake before you know it. Good luck :)

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 08:31:42 am »
I've had two relatively routine medical procedures in Korea so far, including an endoscopy with the throat numbing option, and both were unnecessarily horrific experiences (I'm probably just unlucky and many people do praise the Korean medical system). In any case, I'd recommend being unconscious for the endoscopy and choosing a doctor very, very wisely.

Best of luck with it!

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:03:48 pm »
I've had two relatively routine medical procedures in Korea so far, including an endoscopy with the throat numbing option, and both were unnecessarily horrific experiences (I'm probably just unlucky and many people do praise the Korean medical system). In any case, I'd recommend being unconscious for the endoscopy and choosing a doctor very, very wisely.

Best of luck with it!
Ive never heard of getting it done while awake. I can imagine that would suck balls.
Kpip! - Martin 2018