Read 662 times

• Mokona
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2012, 12:03:46 pm
About sponsorship
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:09:54 am »
Hey folks!

I'm sponsoring my husband to Canada and here are a few questions:

1. For medical check-up, does my husband have to visit designated hospitals in Seoul?

2. I immigrated to Canada when I was little, so does that make me a "sponsored" person (there was a section asking if I were sponsored)

3. Do I need all of my documents translated and where in Seoul can I find official translation services?

Thanks everyone and Happy Tuesday~

Re: About sponsorship
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:43:53 am »
Hey folks!

I'm sponsoring my husband to Canada and here are a few questions:

1. For medical check-up, does my husband have to visit designated hospitals in Seoul?

2. I immigrated to Canada when I was little, so does that make me a "sponsored" person (there was a section asking if I were sponsored)

3. Do I need all of my documents translated and where in Seoul can I find official translation services?

Thanks everyone and Happy Tuesday~
1) Yes, from what I can remember there are certain doctors that you have to go to in order to get it done.

2) This depends on your your family immigrated to Canada.  You should ask your parent(s) what type of immigrant they were.  ie. Family class, spousal class, skilled labour, etc... 
If they didn't immigrate as part of the family or spousal class, then they probably weren't sponsored. 

3) I'm sorry, but I can't help you with this one.  My wife sought out all of the translation services.

I hope this helps, don't take my word though, things may have changed since I sponsored my wife.  Citizenship and immigration Canada can be really picky when they want to be.  If you have any doubt, visit their website or contact them.  There is a wealth of resources regarding this specific issue.

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
Re: About sponsorship
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:52:05 am »
Hey, I'm in the same boat with my wife and waiting for the paperwork to process.

1. Yes, you can find a list of certified docs listed by country through the CIC website. As a heads up the wait list is super long (~2 months in summer) but much shorter in winter.

2. Not a clue sorry. Assuming your a citizen just answer the questions on the forms.

3. Any document written in Korean (marriage forms, family registries etc.) need to be translated into English or French. There are tons of law offices around the Canadian embassy that will do it for you, just make your husband call around and find one. Fairly cheap too!

One other thing, on FB there is a group called 'Family Repatriation- Korea to Canada' with a bunch of people who have or are going through the same process. It's a great place to ask questions.