Read 1306 times

F6 Visa and the Army
« on: July 09, 2016, 11:58:35 pm »
I'm currently in the US Army, stationed here in Seoul. My girlfriend and I are planning to get married in the near future, and I get out of the Army in May 2017 and I am planning to stay here while she finishes college and use my GI Bill benefits to go to college as, but I want to apply for an F6 visa (the timing of my contract expiring and student visa process doesn't match up) so I can work as well. I have an ARC and will soon have a place of my own when we officially get married.

I know they need proof of financial stability. Will my W2's for the previous years showing my income suffice? And any advice you guys can offer in the process? Just a note, I am not planning on filing for the F6 for atleast another 6 months, but I want to get a jump start on the process.

• salkdj1sj
  • Waygookin

• February 28, 2015, 01:09:33 pm
    • Seoul
Re: F6 Visa and the Army
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 04:53:59 pm »
Immigration accepts only income generated in Korea but because you are employed by the US military, I strongly doubt they will accept your income. Especially if you don't pay taxes to Korea.

Does your girlfriend work? If she doesn't have nearly 17 million won of yearly (taxed) income, your application will not go through.

If neither of you have the valid income in the eyes of the immigration, another way is for you two move in with your in-laws (or "move" by only changing your addresses) and use their 소득 income or investments to prove financial stability.

It really sucks. I am currently going through the process and we got a lot of flack from immi because my husband has been a permanent worker in his company only for 4 months. Contract/alba worker's income is not reliable for immigration  :cry:

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• June 13, 2011, 01:34:50 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:52:40 pm »
Have you checked the F visa group? https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=998622856885348

I would try there. PM An admin or you won't get added.
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:36:13 pm »
They will not care about your income only what is in the bank and your GF's work. If she doesn't have a job its possible to use her parents jobs for that part of the form but you will still need to show that you have 30 million in the bank. No reason to get a head start on it as you can gather all the documents in just a few days. Im not sure what kind of visa you are on but I know that its OK to change from E2 to F6 but its NOT OK to go from tourist to F6..... For that you have to leave the country and go to Japan or the US. These rules change ALL THE TIME so your best bet is to just call immigration and get the most up to date info from them and not the internet.

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• June 13, 2011, 01:34:50 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:53:32 pm »
If he's in the army he won't have a visa. Just orders. No passport is needed.
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:16:32 pm »
If he's in the army he won't have a visa. Just orders. No passport is needed.
If he isn't on any kind of visa I think he has to leave the country to get the F6 visa then. Easy enough to do in Tokyo and only takes 3 days.