Read 3345358 times

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #14180 on: September 19, 2022, 12:50:20 pm »
:sad:

Cheer up!  They said a sticky, not 745 of them!

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #14181 on: September 19, 2022, 12:58:59 pm »
true. strength in numbers  ;D

« Reply #14182 on: September 20, 2022, 07:42:18 am »
Aircon is broken in my school and it feels like a crappy sauna... how is it still so hot and humid when it's nearly October? God I can't wait for fall even if it does only last a few weeks

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #14183 on: September 20, 2022, 07:49:32 am »
Aircon is broken in my school and it feels like a crappy sauna... how is it still so hot and humid when it's nearly October? God I can't wait for fall even if it does only last a few weeks

It's often humid into October here. I've been here 6 - 7 years now, and I think the earliest it has stopped being humid has been early October :O

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #14184 on: September 20, 2022, 08:40:01 am »
It's often humid into October here. I've been here 6 - 7 years now, and I think the earliest it has stopped being humid has been early October :O

Depends on where you are and what do you consider humid.
At 9:38 am, the outside RH is 44% here in Southern Gyeonggi. Later in the afternoon it will go down to 30-35%. That is not only not humid but dry. We had several similar days already in September and even in late August.
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #14185 on: September 20, 2022, 08:53:07 am »
Depends on where you are and what do you consider humid.
At 9:38 am, the outside RH is 44% here in Southern Gyeonggi. Later in the afternoon it will go down to 30-35%. That is not only not humid but dry. We had several similar days already in September and even in late August.

I'm in Jeolla, I still get sweaty if I'm outside for more than 10 - 15 mins. I consider it humid if I can get sweaty just from being outside, not doing much for a short amount of time.
The walk to my gym is only about 3 minutes from my apartment, and I'm often still getting there sweaty. D:

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2022, 12:15:38 am
    • Jeolla
« Reply #14186 on: September 20, 2022, 11:36:57 am »

Do the kids stills say "Teacher..cold"?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #14187 on: September 20, 2022, 07:44:31 pm »
I still jack the a/c in the classroom but my Monday night motel room (travel to work two days in Jinju weekly) had no longer the remote control despite a 28 c afternoon, 22 c overnight (feels more like 24 c, the borderline sweat temp for me). Do i ask? ... Nah... i pay only 25,000 won and the old lady is nice and the forecast is for lower night temps by next week, so the fan will do, i thought, and it did (barely - slept above all covers).

October and April are my fav months for temps here, though the winters are pretty mild (compared to back home). The summers were great preCOVID when hitting the beach every weekend was a good idea.

The changing color of the leaves makes for a couple of nice hiking weekends soon to come!
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

« Reply #14188 on: September 23, 2022, 10:36:37 am »
The Canadian wakes up eager to start his virtuous Canadian day and immediately a thought pops into his head. AMERICANS. This of course is a daily occurrence without fail. "I wonder what those stupid Americans are up to," he thinks as he instinctively opens up his favorite American website Reddit from his iPhone. He scrolls and scrolls seeking an opening to talk about America, anything to latch on to. He's totally not obsessed with Americans.

He becomes bored so he turns his TV on and opens up Netflix. He puts on his favorite marvel movie for the billionth time and he goes back to scrolling. He loves engaging in American culture as he bashes America. He's totally not obsessed. He gets hungry and reaches for his iPhone to order breakfast from McDonalds using uber eats. "Stupid Americans making me drink their shitty coffee," he thinks to himself, "Canadian coffee is so much better not even close." He has drank Starbucks 3 out of the last 5 mornings before going to work.

He waits downstairs for his food so he decides to put on some American rap music. "Ugh stupid Americans," he says "their culture is so uncaring and xenophobic! Not like Canadian culture, we are so much more diverse and accepting! And no guns and we have healthcare!"

A Muslim family crosses his path and he pretends to not be afraid and gives them a friendly nod and a wave. "WAAA000O" he thinks as he smirks so self-satisfied "I bet if this was America they would have shot them lol." "We Canadians are much more open-minded and civilized." He nods agreeing with himself.

His food arrives and makes his way back upstairs as he slurps down the coke Americans have forced him to drink. As he sits down to enjoy his shitty American food his phone receives an alert. MY COUNTRY NOW HAS A HIGHER VACCINATION RATE THAN AMERICA! "Oh my god!" He yells! "I am so gonna rub this in their stupid American faces!" He tweets, he posts on Instagram. He jumps on Reddit and comments with furor and xenophobia. He never really congratulates Canada or their success but instead talks about how Americans will all die from COVID and how they are all so stupid.

The Canadian posts charts and graphs he has archived to link when he is questioned. He’s totally not obsessed with America. Don’t even joke around like that. He’s coming with joy. "I really showed those stupid Americans today" he says to himself "they deserve it, god damn imperialists," he says without a shred of irony.

Feeling extra good about his exploits he decides to go out and enjoy his blessed, virtuous, pretentious Cuckadian day. He laces up his Jordan’s nice and tight. He puts on his favorite Batman shirt and Nike sweater. As he walks out he grabs a piece of cardboard sitting by the door.

The Canadian suddenly checks his phone again, and realized that there was a bunch of protest trucks heading to the Canadian capital to protest vaccination mandates, and blames America for 'AmEriCaNiZiNg CaNaDa' with the trucks protests when it originated from Canada.

Why DO I care so much about things happening in America…Am I obsessed with American life?" he thinks as he mentions free healthcare again in a message board discussion about America when no one asks for it.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #14189 on: September 23, 2022, 11:19:37 am »
@Mithras what happened to you on reddit dot com that brought this on?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14190 on: September 23, 2022, 11:28:03 am »
@Mithras
- Why did he grab a piece of cardboard as he left his home? Was it like a protest placard or something?
- "His virtuous Canadian day"? Have you ever met those guys?
- why do you hate past participles so much?  :cry:

« Reply #14191 on: September 23, 2022, 11:58:26 am »

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #14192 on: September 23, 2022, 12:18:09 pm »
The Canadian wakes up eager to start his virtuous Canadian day and immediately a thought pops into his head. AMERICANS. This of course is a daily occurrence without fail. "I wonder what those stupid Americans are up to," he thinks as he instinctively opens up his favorite American website Reddit from his iPhone. He scrolls and scrolls seeking an opening to talk about America, anything to latch on to. He's totally not obsessed with Americans.

As a Canadian I can vouch for the fact this is true for about half of the population, and unfortunately about 80% of the Canadians you find in Korea.  Smug and insufferable lot that can bash the U.S. until the moose come home but turn deadly serious when it's turned back on Canada.  I have mentioned this game before.  It's how you can gauge if it's the kind of Canadian you want to hang out with (a lot of us are quite worldly and cool), casually name drop a few Canadian personalities during the conversation and see how long it takes for the Canadian to bring up the fact that William Shatner, for example, is Canadian.  If they just immediately pipe up with it, interrupting any other conversation, avoid them post haste.  If they are self-aware enough to at least try to restrain themselves and make an effort to try and pretend they are bringing up William Shatner's birthplace in an organic way, give them a second chance.  If they don't acknowledge it at all, they're cool. 

Also, read this book Canadians.  If you recognize yourself, realise a lot of people find us smug and obnoxious and not nearly as interesting as we think we are.

https://www.amazon.com/Why-Hate-Canadians-Will-Ferguson/dp/1553652797/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PZNYEOKC99ZF&keywords=why+I+hate+canadians&qid=1663906151&sprefix=why+i+hate+canadians%2Caps%2C245&sr=8-1

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14193 on: September 23, 2022, 01:00:06 pm »
William Shatner. Hmmm. Where do I know that name from?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #14194 on: September 23, 2022, 02:00:31 pm »
William Shatner. Hmmm. Where do I know that name from?

I met three legends during my grad school research year in Toronto (fall 1996-spring 1997): Allen Ginsberg (months before died, he answered my question but tiredly so, didn't seem to want to be around any of us), Prince (i didn't meet him personally, but was one of about four thousand at a concert in a downtown club, he shouting out "yeah" when i hollered "Raspberry Beret!" and Shatner i stupidly said what a thousand people must've said: "I love your character" when i literally bumped into him at the Toronto International Film Festival. Before the Internet, Hollywood movies were first released in L A., N.Y. or T.O. (Toronto, Ontario). So that night was a big deal. I met Louis Gossett Jr. What an awesome guy!
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #14195 on: September 23, 2022, 02:10:39 pm »
If you recognize yourself, realise a lot of people find us smug and obnoxious and not nearly as interesting as we think we are.

I met three legends during my grad school research year in Toronto (fall 1996-spring 1997): Allen Ginsberg (months before died, he answered my question but tiredly so, didn't seem to want to be around any of us), Prince (i didn't meet him personally, but was one of about four thousand at a concert in a downtown club, he shouting out "yeah" when i hollered "Raspberry Beret!" and Shatner i stupidly said what a thousand people must've said: "I love your character" when i literally bumped into him at the Toronto International Film Festival. Before the Internet, Hollywood movies were first released in L A., N.Y. or T.O. (Toronto, Ontario). So that night was a big deal. I met Louis Gossett Jr. What an awesome guy!

:rolleyes:

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #14196 on: September 24, 2022, 08:05:48 pm »
We get to see now previews of...
films released in March of 2023?

F you John Wick. Et al.