• Busan
    more
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13520 on: November 24, 2021, 12:27:42 pm »
Is this fake news?
Rittenhouse trial New
Man drives suv through crowd
trump and Russia

yeah the conversation these days kinda fuckin blows right? i guess it always has, but it used to be kinda fun for me (i fondly remember colburnn). i guess once you see the same people making the same point for the 30th time the shine really wears off
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13521 on: November 24, 2021, 12:30:17 pm »
the old guard did have a bit more of a sense of humor at the very least

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13522 on: November 24, 2021, 12:38:56 pm »
yeah the conversation these days kinda fuckin blows right? i guess it always has, but it used to be kinda fun for me (i fondly remember colburnn). i guess once you see the same people making the same point for the 30th time the shine really wears off

If it wasn't for the amazing and informative thread about protocols for travelling internationally (hats off to whoever started that gem) I think I'd follow a couple of other users and bug out of here.  It's gotten to be like Amazon Prime.  I kept going back in the hopes there'd be something I'd want to watch but eventually I just cancelled it.  Although, checking it after I'd already cancelled it I saw the entire Kid in the Hall was on it, so I'll hold out for a bit longer.  Or at least until I get my reentry permit and a plane ticket.  Then I'll move on to that other site and watch the conversation ticker where no matter what someone says, no one craps on them.  I want to be that person that craps on the person who thinks bringing up what they thought of that day's lunch was worth typing about. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #13523 on: November 26, 2021, 12:35:22 pm »
one sentence ********* goddamn
more gg more skill

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13524 on: November 26, 2021, 12:38:00 pm »
everything is one sentence when you never use punctuation you should try it its so very liberating lololol

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #13525 on: November 29, 2021, 02:27:36 pm »
can't even tell a goddamn story without injecting it with some kind of agenda or trying to strong arm it in a certain direction
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13526 on: November 30, 2021, 07:49:44 am »
can't even tell a goddamn story without injecting it with some kind of agenda or trying to strong arm it in a certain direction

we were doing quite well until a certain user showed up

« Reply #13527 on: November 30, 2021, 11:47:54 am »
we were doing quite well until a certain user showed up
Honestly it wasn't a story. It was more like "Let's tell a sequence of vaguely connected absurdities."

Would have been nice to actually try and collaboratively write a story. Maybe have two separate ones. One for just an absurd bunch of stuff and another for a legit attempt for us to show our storywriting chops. Maybe include some kind of general theme or direction at the start so it doesn't turn into whatever that was on the other thread.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13528 on: November 30, 2021, 12:03:46 pm »
Honestly it wasn't a story. It was more like "Let's tell a sequence of vaguely connected absurdities."

Would have been nice to actually try and collaboratively write a story. Maybe have two separate ones. One for just an absurd bunch of stuff and another for a legit attempt for us to show our storywriting chops. Maybe include some kind of general theme or direction at the start so it doesn't turn into whatever that was on the other thread.

Got to agree with this.  It quickly went nowhere.  Part of that is the format.  You were only writing one sentence so it was almost impossible to achieve any direction.  Yes, a certain poster went against the spirit of it and tried to take things in an unsurprising direction, but still.  I think you need to set an order by asking who would be interested and if CO2 is starting it off and being the director, then he should set the sequence of posters/writers and require a paragraph from each person.  It messes it up if you have two people writing simultaneously.  And allow each person a couple of days to add their submission.  I applaud the effort but the previous one was like watching bad improv.  People were trying to be more out there than the last person and it never really got going. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #13529 on: November 30, 2021, 12:08:37 pm »
idk i think some posters here have a lizard brain impulse that forces them to mention certain topics no matter how irrelevant it might be
more gg more skill

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13530 on: November 30, 2021, 12:36:05 pm »
idk i think some posters here have a lizard brain impulse that forces them to mention certain topics no matter how irrelevant it might be

I don't get paid enough to not mention certain topics and that's why I'm moving to China.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13531 on: November 30, 2021, 12:50:47 pm »
I have a hilarious joke about 2.1, China,"CO2", and hot air, but my last joke was so thoroughly curb-stomped that I'm not going to share it.  >:(

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13532 on: November 30, 2021, 12:56:55 pm »
... to actually try and collaboratively write a story. Maybe have two separate ones. One for just an absurd bunch of stuff and another for a legit attempt for us to show our storywriting chops. Maybe include some kind of general theme or direction at the start...
Sounds good.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13533 on: November 30, 2021, 01:02:12 pm »
I have a hilarious joke about 2.1, China,"CO2", and hot air, but my last joke was so thoroughly curb-stomped that I'm not going to share it.  >:(

It was curb stomped in the affectionate way you acknowledge someone from western Canada who thinks Corner Gas was funny.  In an affectionate, yet completely condescending manner.  I hope that came through. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 01:49:59 pm by OnNut81 »

« Reply #13534 on: November 30, 2021, 01:53:25 pm »
I applaud the effort but the previous one was like watching bad improv.  People were trying to be more out there than the last person and it never really got going.
Nail. Head. CO2 gave a good start but the next sentence was just like...there's no reason to do it after that because you know what it's going to end up as- just a bunch of people trying to top each other with absurd stuff and it peters out in a few pages. I tried to pull it back because I knew what would happen and predictably, it did.

Can't people think things out? Don't you know if you do that this is what is going to happen and it's going to be cringe af? Was anyone actually laughing at what people wrote? Throwing a moose or a kangaroo into things doesn't make things automatically funny or absurd. The absurd is in stuff that is routine shown in the light of how, well, absurd it is. Look at a good Seinfeld episode if you want to do absurd and really understand what absurd humor is about. The rain of frogs should come either in the climax or the resolution, not the opening unless it precedes some sort of coherent conflict set up. Finally, this made the "Poochie" writers and execs from I&S studios from The Simpsons look inspired.

Also, you don't have to go to instant absurd.  Everyone was a two-pump chump with their take on this. Shot their wad early and all that was left was a mess and no satisfaction.

The 1-2 sentence format can work as a fun exercise, but that's usually best for something dialogue heavy. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 02:00:20 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13535 on: November 30, 2021, 02:00:18 pm »
I hope that came through. 
In spades. It was the response I was more or less expecting, so no worries.  :smiley:

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #13536 on: November 30, 2021, 02:07:05 pm »
Nail. Head. CO2 gave a good start but the next sentence was just like...there's no reason to do it after that because you know what it's going to end up as- just a bunch of people trying to top each other with absurd stuff and it peters out in a few pages. I tried to pull it back because I knew what would happen and predictably, it did.

Can't people think things out? Don't you know if you do that this is what is going to happen and it's going to be cringe af? Was anyone actually laughing at what people wrote? Throwing a moose or a kangaroo into things doesn't make things automatically funny or absurd. The absurd is in stuff that is routine shown in the light of how, well, absurd it is. Look at a good Seinfeld episode if you want to do absurd and really understand what absurd humor is about. The rain of frogs should come either in the climax or the resolution, not the opening unless it precedes some sort of coherent conflict set up. Finally, this made the "Poochie" writers and execs from I&S studios from The Simpsons look inspired.

Also, you don't have to go to instant absurd.  Everyone was a two-pump chump with their take on this. Shot their wad early and all that was left was a mess and no satisfaction.

The 1-2 sentence format can work as a fun exercise, but that's usually best for something dialogue heavy. 

sir this is a wendy's
more gg more skill

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13537 on: November 30, 2021, 02:08:03 pm »

This really hurt. You cut deep Mr. DeMartino.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13538 on: November 30, 2021, 02:10:31 pm »
I don't get paid enough to not mention certain topics and that's why I'm moving to China.

Well considering the same 5 posters for at least the past year obsess over me nonstop without delay and without skipping a beat, it would seem to me which users have the real lizard brains (since they are going on obsessive instinct).  As for me, I'm glad to be living in your heads rent free.  Though it is kind of pathetic. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13539 on: November 30, 2021, 02:25:52 pm »
Well considering the same 5 posters for at least the past year obsess over me nonstop without delay and without skipping a beat, it would seem to me which users have the real lizard brains (since they are going on obsessive instinct).  As for me, I'm glad to be living in your heads rent free.  Though it is kind of pathetic. 

I think the fact that you were derailing other threads constantly with your China jobs promotions crap is really lost on you.  And stop stealing Martino's living in our heads rent free line.  It only worked when one person did it.  Reading you do it is like having watched Borat and then running into a guy who keeps going "Very nice."