Read 2626302 times

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13340 on: October 07, 2021, 12:35:32 pm »
That happened to me recently. I called the delivery company and left my information. They called back a few days later saying they lost my package and to contact the seller. Contacted the seller and they sent another one no problem....because they hold insurance for the deliveries.

Contacted the seller already, he said the delivery company is just busy because of covid and to wait a little bit longer.
The worst part, is when they delivered the damaged computer, I ordered some smaller items from the same seller, both packages left at the same time, the smaller items arrived after like 2 days, contacted the seller, they said they lost the computer (no idea how) I'm worried it's going to be the same again haha.
I'll try contacting the delivery company though, thanks for that suggestion!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 12:57:33 pm by Kayos »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13341 on: October 14, 2021, 01:44:53 pm »
South Korea’s YouTube community, considered as a yardstick for the country’s latest cultural trends, is also full of clips by teenagers and those in their early 20s unwrapping and evaluating their luxury brand purchases on camera.

The term “flex” or “flexing”, originally coined in the US in the 1990s among hip-hop musicians flaunting their fast-gained wealth, is now a commonly used word among the youth in Korea as well.

Pop culture experts say that the idea of “flexing,” combined with the global trends of YOLO (you only live once) and FOMO (fear of missing out), provide a comprehensive answer to why South Korean young people are becoming obsessed with luxury items.

“It’s difficult to get any attention or recognition among my friends if I don’t have a luxury item,” said a teenage customer.

https://www.kedglobal.com/newsView/ked202106080004

“The South Koreans, living in more of a collectivistic society than an individualistic one, feel more comfortable when they have a sense of belonging. Such culture quickly drives fashion and food trends to spread nationwide. The idea is basically the same for luxury goods,” said Professor Gwak Geum-ju of Seoul National University Department of Psychology.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #13342 on: October 14, 2021, 01:59:43 pm »
and what are your thoughts on this LI?
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13343 on: October 14, 2021, 02:10:42 pm »
i bought a Supreme™ Hex Bug last week

« Reply #13344 on: October 14, 2021, 03:10:05 pm »
i bought a Supreme™ Hex Bug last week

No idea what you're talking about. I had to look it up. Still don't really understand. What do you do with them? Collect or play? Geez, I'm so out of  the (any) loop these days. Makes me feel like I'm 95 not 60, and have been living under a large piece of rural rock.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #13345 on: October 15, 2021, 09:00:14 am »
No idea what you're talking about. I had to look it up. Still don't really understand. What do you do with them? Collect or play? Geez, I'm so out of  the (any) loop these days. Makes me feel like I'm 95 not 60, and have been living under a large piece of rural rock.

You don't do anything with it. Supreme is a brand that makes most of its money putting its name on random shit. See, for example, the Supreme Skittles, or the infamous Supreme Brick.

« Reply #13346 on: October 15, 2021, 09:23:56 am »
You don't do anything with it. Supreme is a brand that makes most of its money putting its name on random shit. See, for example, the Supreme Skittles, or the infamous Supreme Brick.

They were originally a skate brand then started marketing their exclusivity, by only selling a very limited number of plain as day t-shirts, hoodies etc.

Thought the simplicity of the design looked cool and I was looking for a Supreme cap to wear at the track. 200k for a freakin' plain cap with just Supreme written on it. I could've just bought a fake one, which everyone in Korea does, but I never buy fake stuff. Watched a short documentary a while back how the Supreme brand actually struggles in Korea, despite being almost everywhere, as everyone just buys the fake knockoffs.

Ended buying a much cooler Initial D cap on Etsy for like 25 bucks.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #13347 on: October 15, 2021, 09:31:22 am »
Thought the simplicity of the design looked cool and I was looking for a Supreme cap to wear at the track. 200k for a freakin' plain cap with just Supreme written on it.

Supreme is also one of the brands people bot the **** out of. You have to be extremely lucky to actually nab something on release if youre buying online, and if you want to hit up the physical location, bring the tent along with you.

Really wish these stores had some sort of security against botting, assuming thats even possible

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #13348 on: October 15, 2021, 09:39:35 am »
i just can't justify buying something so much more expensive that provides no extra function. it seems aggressively wasteful. at least some brands allegedly have superior quality. supreme is just like "nah it's a hanes t-shirt but we screen printed this logo on it". though i did buy a $5 knockoff supreme beanie when i was really cold in seoul once
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #13349 on: October 15, 2021, 09:49:38 am »
their clothes are def overpriced. some of their dumber/meme tier products are only like a 5-10$ markup, though. thats before the scalpers get to em ofc

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #13350 on: October 15, 2021, 09:53:42 am »
yeah the brick definitely would've been worth (not /s)
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #13351 on: October 15, 2021, 09:56:57 am »
for $30? i mean, it peaked around 1k, and even now that the hypes died down it still goes for around 200. seems pretty worth to me if you got it on release.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #13352 on: October 15, 2021, 10:04:29 am »
yeah for 30. though i assume it was nearly impossible to find for 30 even back then
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Korea
« Reply #13353 on: October 15, 2021, 10:34:57 am »
oh yeah it sold p quickly but thats true of basically any luxury item that has a limited run. definitely sucks that almost everything is just bot bait these days, it leaves out the consumer entirely. its like you can either test your luck and pray or pay $$$ for a decent bot in which case you better be putting some big money in and buying a lot extra so you can make that subscription back reselling, at which point ur a part of the problem.

anyways in the case of the supreme brick its just one of those things that if you happened to think it was funny and bought it you lucked out. especially since its not like you lose anything by leaving it sealed... i mean, it is just a brick, lmao

« Reply #13354 on: October 15, 2021, 10:36:47 am »

Okay, cheers. Now I get it   :-[

« Reply #13355 on: October 15, 2021, 03:06:09 pm »
Part of the final assignment for my dreaded Afrikaans module is to write an original essay.

It's not a long essay, but I've got to choose from a list of topics:

- Seasons of Life
- Can't get it out of my mind
- It's spring in my heart

The sounds like the type of sh*t 12yr old lovestruck girls, who're really into horses, write about. FFS, your students are in their 20s and 30s!

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13356 on: October 15, 2021, 03:14:44 pm »
Part of the final assignment for my dreaded Afrikaans module is to write an original essay.

- Seasons of Life

The sounds like the type of sh*t 12yr old lovestruck girls, who're really into horses, write about. FFS, your students are in their 20s and 30s!

This is your chance to put yourself into the shoes of the 12 year old lovestruck girls you'll be teaching. It's spring in your heart. Now write about it  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #13357 on: October 15, 2021, 03:25:14 pm »

- Seasons of Life

You could go dark on the second one.

« Reply #13358 on: Yesterday at 03:08:51 pm »
The codling of the CT at my Tuesday school is driving me up the wall.

Today, I gave the 5th grade students a worksheet on numbers, they enjoyed it. This would be my final lesson on numbers, they're familiar with how to read and write numbers into the trillions using a very simple technique I taught.

Part of the worksheet included a section where they had to fill in the question:

Q - ___________________ ___________________
A - 5000 won

So a student might fill in:

Q - (How much is the ice-cream?)
A - 5000 won

I added some ridiculously high numbers, in the billions, to encourage them to get fun and creative with their answers (got a lot of requests of how to spell Chanel, Gucci, Prada etc.)
I also provided simple picture dictionaries, with nouns, so even the lowest level student could just find a picture of an airplane and copy the spelling.

I modified a few of the questions so the numbers would be written in words:

Q - ___________________ ___________________ __
A - It's Fifty-five thousand won

Obviously, this amount of thought process was too much to expect from some students, particularly the laziest ones who ask the teacher to explain and do "EVERYTHING" for them. While I was busy with a student, my
CT wrote down all the worded numbers from the worksheet into numbers so the students no longer had to open their notebooks, check the number spelling they wrote down last week, to verify and work out for themselves.

Last week, I gave my 4th graders a worksheet for comprehension. A few simple sentences were written on the worksheet  eg.

(The red fox is on the bed)
(The cat is big)
(The dog is in the box)

The students would read these sentences and draw an appropriate pictures next to each sentence. This was all well within their ability is I've been gradually working from vowels, consonants, CVC words, basic sight words and  long vowel sounds
since the beginning of the year. What did she do? She hastily drew her own pictures next to each sentence and stuck it on the board... Now English class has become art class, all they had to do was copy her drawings.

What the actual f*ck is wrong with you, lady?

« Reply #13359 on: Today at 08:09:41 am »
The codling of the CT at my Tuesday school is driving me up the wall.

Yeah, I have a similar situation at my middle school. One co teacher constantly translates EVERYTHING. The kids don't even try, even though it's MIDDLE SCHOOL and I use plenty of gestures. We'll play games every so often where half the challenge is understanding the question ("Jeju island is famous for this fruit." -> tangerine/orange). And she'll instantly translate the question and OF COURSE the game becomes a bit boring/too easy since even my lowest level kids know "orange."

Like...at least wait for kids to ask... or only translate "famous" and let kids still try to work out what the sentence means..