I meant to say: Korean wives and their aircon nomu chuwo :azn:
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9842 on: May 12, 2019, 01:42:31 pm »
A few months ago, I decided to get some treatment for a few sun spots on my face, so I went to a local dermatologist. I was sure there'd be better dermatologists in the neighbouring city, but an hour drive for every appointment isn't something I'm really really thrilled about.

The place seemed legit, plenty of other patients, and I was convinced to undergo 3 months of IPL laser treatment, of about 6 sessions, at 500 bucks.

- 6 session later, very little improvement. Dermatologist claims it's because I have different skin than Koreans, but will continue till they sort things out... for "free".

Be very careful because this is *absolutely true*, and be happy that the dermatologist is conscious of it.
A friend of mine went for laser hair follicle removal a few years ago. She has very dark skin: probably the blackest skin I've ever personally seen. Unfortunately, the laser people didn't take into account that dark skin absorbs heat differently than light skin, and burned the living crap out of her face. She had bright pink scars like tiger stripes all over her face for a good 8 or 9 months after the process. Worst thing was, because of the language barrier and because of some waivers she was required to sign before the treatment, they were effectively able to deny liability. I'm not sure she was compensated for it at all.  >:(

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9843 on: May 12, 2019, 05:13:01 pm »
A few months ago, I decided to get some treatment for a few sun spots on my face, so I went to a local dermatologist. I was sure there'd be better dermatologists in the neighbouring city, but an hour drive for every appointment isn't something I'm really really thrilled about.

The place seemed legit, plenty of other patients, and I was convinced to undergo 3 months of IPL laser treatment, of about 6 sessions, at 500 bucks.

- 6 session later, very little improvement. Dermatologist claims it's because I have different skin than Koreans, but will continue till they sort things out... for "free".

Be very careful because this is *absolutely true*, and be happy that the dermatologist is conscious of it.
A friend of mine went for laser hair follicle removal a few years ago. She has very dark skin: probably the blackest skin I've ever personally seen. Unfortunately, the laser people didn't take into account that dark skin absorbs heat differently than light skin, and burned the living crap out of her face. She had bright pink scars like tiger stripes all over her face for a good 8 or 9 months after the process. Worst thing was, because of the language barrier and because of some waivers she was required to sign before the treatment, they were effectively able to deny liability. I'm not sure she was compensated for it at all.  >:(

Thanks, I'm kind of light tan and see plenty of Koreans with skin darker than mine on a daily basis. I do believe it's absolutely legitimate that he pointed out that my skin is different to Koreans, I believe he was talking about the structure of my epidermis, not so much the complexion. I've had 6 treatments so far and the IPL did bring redness to the areas they lasered (completely normal) and the redness did go down after a week or so.

Thanks for bringing that up though. I think I'm just going to get a refund and have the treatment done back home at some point.

« Reply #9844 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »
I don't think there's a worse place to be in Korea than the men's bathroom. 

Have you heard your coworkers brush their teeth?  The noises!  When I brush my teeth it's a gentle spit after I'm done and a quiet rinse.  Practically a silent process. 

In my school's bathroom it's like pigs at a trough.  It sounds like they're half swallowing the toothpaste, bringing it back up to gargle with, then shoving their brushes to the backs of their throats and gagging on them.  Christ.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #9845 on: May 13, 2019, 12:27:08 pm »
In my school's bathroom it's like pigs at a trough.  It sounds like they're half swallowing the toothpaste, bringing it back up to gargle with, then shoving their brushes to the backs of their throats and gagging on them.  Christ.

LOL man this cracked me up, brilliant imagery.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9846 on: May 13, 2019, 01:01:49 pm »
I don't think there's a worse place to be in Korea than the men's bathroom. 

Have you heard your coworkers brush their teeth?  The noises!  When I brush my teeth it's a gentle spit after I'm done and a quiet rinse.  Practically a silent process. 

Don't remind me, brother. This is exactly why I never touch faucets in this country and prefer to carry a hand sanitizer.
The more reserved ajjushi will stick to an upwards hocking glissando, usually ranging about 2-3 octaves, before discharging the charming mixture of sputum and toothpaste in the general vicinity of the basin. Your more obnoxious breed of ajjushi will make a point of extending the range of the glissando to about 4 octaves and holding a vibrato at the highest note, for about a bar, before discharging phlegm and toothpaste all over the mirror and basin. He'll then proceed to snort water up his nostrils and spray at in the same vicinity and ending off by filling in the bald spots of his comb over.

I've heard ajjumas do it too.

According to this article, 1 in 3 Koreans have latent tuberculosis. I wouldn't be surprised.
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/02/119_264265.html

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9847 on: May 13, 2019, 01:22:28 pm »
I reaaally don't like the common Korean question of "Which do you like better? Your home or here?"

It's such a trap question. Say your home, and it's an insult. Say Korea, and you're giving them that satisfaction that they want so badly.

I often just end up telling them "I dunno..." Since I truly am on the fence.

Last time I got asked that. I said both! They said, you can only pick one. So I picked Sweden. The co-T and students laughed a lot lol.

« Reply #9848 on: May 13, 2019, 01:34:56 pm »
I've heard ajjumas do it too.

Yupyup, a lot of women do it, too, and I've nearly gagged a few times at how gross they can be in public restrooms, haha.

Not just the ahjummas, either, some of the young ladies could rival a lot of those old men.

My first trip to Seoul, I watched how one woman in her 20s projectiled rinse water from her mouth while standing at least a couple of feet away from the sink, and she never even attempted to bend over, either. Was just standing straight up while staring at herself in the mirror, spewing water out like a fountain. A lot of that water did NOT make it into the sink, too. She did it several times like it was the most normal thing. So now whenever I see really wet counters and floors in a bathroom, I can't help but think it's 90% spit.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:25:38 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #9849 on: May 27, 2019, 01:39:16 pm »
No posts here since May 13th? Wow.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9850 on: May 27, 2019, 01:53:00 pm »

Tis a Blessed Time in the Land or Mourning Clam
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9851 on: May 27, 2019, 01:55:34 pm »

mourning clam. that's awesome. someone should make a flag

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9852 on: May 27, 2019, 02:16:12 pm »

I was literally thinking this a couple hours ago. Everyone must be in a good mood!
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9853 on: May 27, 2019, 03:13:23 pm »
Oh, I've got a few grumps I'd love to rant about, but they're specific enough to compromise my identity, so everyone's spared the audacity.

But I have to admit that the last couple of weeks haven't been all that bad.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9854 on: May 27, 2019, 03:50:43 pm »

mourning clam. that's awesome. someone should make a flag
Land of Morning Qualms has also always resonated with me. Make 2 flags please!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9855 on: May 29, 2019, 09:02:17 am »
we were studying about poems in one class. they had to give me some adjectives to describe korea. one student said 'small", which was good, so i wrote it on the board.

about half the class then went in uproar shouting "KOREA IS NOT SMALL! KOREA IS NOOOOOT SMALLLLL!", which was...weird. i asked them to name me a smaller country, and they couldn't, so...

it's so weird. i mean, this is a grade 5 class, and they are the upper level, so they are quite intelligent. where do they get this weird nationalistic nonsense from such a young age?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9856 on: May 29, 2019, 09:06:50 am »
about half the class then went in uproar shouting "KOREA IS NOT SMALL! KOREA IS NOOOOOT SMALLLLL!", which was...weird. i asked them to name me a smaller country, and they couldn't, so...

107th out of 190. That said, the list doesn't descend in a pattern, the bottom half are waayyyyyyyy smaller than the top 25. Especially the bottom 20, they're dependencies, like Guernsey hahahaha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_area
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:09:01 am by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9857 on: May 29, 2019, 09:43:10 am »
it's so weird. i mean, this is a grade 5 class, and they are the upper level, so they are quite intelligent. where do they get this weird nationalistic nonsense from such a young age?

I'd say parents but then I'd be surprised that they actually taught them something... It's weird. They even get surprised when you know even a little bit of Korean or know how to use chopsticks, like it was ingrained in them at birth that Foreigners can't do those things
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:45:17 am by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9858 on: May 29, 2019, 01:26:14 pm »
2 days ago I almost fell over, the CT at my wife's Wednesday school sends her a message saying she can stay home today since the students are going on a trip. The reason I was so surprised is that my wife's CTs, particularly the one at that school, are ridiculously anal with the rules... despite the fact that they leave school early and don't pitch up for class, constantly. Her Wednesday school is a 30min drive from home, so she usually drops me off and goes to work.

I took the car today, got to work and at about 09:30, she calls me saying that the school changed their mind and want her to come in... by 10:15! After a lot of back and forth and "Let me ask the VP because I'm too pathetic to make a decision myself." My wife is told she can spend the day deskwarming, till 16:30, at her main school (about 10min walk from our apartment).
My wife has to stay because this total sonnofabitch actually phones her main school, twice, to make sure she's there.

The CT at my wife's main school is just as pedantic and phones the local MOE for absolutely every question regarding my wife. The calls are so frequent that the supervisor actually asked her to stop calling all the time.

« Reply #9859 on: May 29, 2019, 01:43:37 pm »
2 days ago I almost fell over, the CT at my wife's Wednesday school sends her a message saying she can stay home today since the students are going on a trip. The reason I was so surprised is that my wife's CTs, particularly the one at that school, are ridiculously anal with the rules... despite the fact that they leave school early and don't pitch up for class, constantly. Her Wednesday school is a 30min drive from home, so she usually drops me off and goes to work.

I took the car today, got to work and at about 09:30, she calls me saying that the school changed their mind and want her to come in... by 10:15! After a lot of back and forth and "Let me ask the VP because I'm too pathetic to make a decision myself." My wife is told she can spend the day deskwarming, till 16:30, at her main school (about 10min walk from our apartment).
My wife has to stay because this total sonnofabitch actually phones her main school, twice, to make sure she's there.

The CT at my wife's main school is just as pedantic and phones the local MOE for absolutely every question regarding my wife. The calls are so frequent that the supervisor actually asked her to stop calling all the time.

She should have just said no. She couldn't make it to work and it was their fault.