Read 1491810 times

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9660 on: April 05, 2019, 06:41:22 pm »
holy hell man, you seriously need to learn how to stand up for yourself. i can't believe you're just going to roll over on this.

Lol. Okay, dude.

"but i don't wanna cause problems for other NETs!"

what problems are you going to cause? everyone will be forced to use a vacation day to renew their ARC/visa? they won't. why? because it's a BUSINESS RELATED MATTER.

As I've said repeatedly now, there is no language in my province's contract explicitly stating that it's a business related matter warranting a business trip. That isn't just my school's stance, that's my POE's stance. Unless you or anyone else here who keeps giving me shit about this can link me to a national-level law stating that it has to be a business trip, you're just dispensing useless "advice."

I've already contacted my POE to ask about it, and when they told me how it is, I expressed my disappointment. They know I'm not happy about it, and my school knows I'm not happy about it. That's all I can do about it. I wasn't going to let my visa expire and stay here illegally when I have no legal leg to stand on. Honestly, I don't believe you would, either.

as someone else said, they can't let you work illegally. the reason why it's probably now written into the Gangwon contract that those trips must be registered on NEIS as business trips is because the POE was probably getting so many emails every year from NETs complaining that they were being forced to use vacation days for work-related matters.

So the reason it's in the Gangwon contract is so many people did the one thing I've already done? It isn't because so many teachers refused to go get their ARCs renewed until they were told they'd get a business day for it? Huh. Weird.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:42:58 pm by Mister Tim »

« Reply #9661 on: April 05, 2019, 06:49:04 pm »
People in crowded subway trains who insist on moving all the way down the train while it's in motion pushing/squeezing past everyone, just so presumably they can get off at the right point of the platform at their stop. If the train's crowded, get on the train and stay where you are, just wait to walk the 100 or so extra metres at your stop.

« Reply #9662 on: April 05, 2019, 07:39:59 pm »
The new textbooks were published in 2018 and they have 11 authors, including an American who apparently edited the English. And yet there are still clunky, awkward, and just f*ing incorrect sentences littered throughout. Also, the 'Listen and Repeat' function for songs and chants does not sync up with the rhythm. It's hard to overstate how jarring that is.

I'm editing this into a rant list.

- Was offered 2 side-gigs for my city. Accepted both on the condition they run sequentially. Signed up officially. They run concurrently.
- Was misquoted time and pay for both programs.
- Had to do a lot of extra work for both programs due to general disorganization and mismanagement.
- New colleague is incompetent. Cannot-use-a-computer level. Cannot speak English. Cannot manage a class.
- Found out new colleague took the position from another colleague who is competent. Incompetent colleague is apparently unfireable because she's a teacher and uncriticizable because she's old. Wants to be a homeroom teacher but was denied for fear of parental complaints and inability to do the corresponding paperwork. Now she's my problem.
- Lost several afternoons worth of planning time due to meetings with and about new incompetent co-teacher.
- Had to break my 'don't take work home' rule.
- Korean progress is slow. Regretting not taking a year as a student to buckle down and earn the points F-visa.
- Can't marry into F-visa because "Ew, 2 guys. Sick."

On the plus side my main colleague is cool but that's not really in the spirit of this thread.

Look into an F2-99 visa if you're struggling to make the points and don't want to (or can't) marry.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #9663 on: April 08, 2019, 02:15:48 pm »
My middle school 2nd graders are a-holes! I really can't stand these kids. They really don't listen! 1 more year of this!  :cry:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9664 on: April 08, 2019, 02:47:06 pm »
Students come in to my room 30 minutes before class starts. I'd rather they didn't, but fine. I don't own the room. They then proceed to have shout talking conversations across the room. 2 or 3 guys at one table and another guy at a table across the other side of the room, booming voices, shout talking. Shut up. Please.
Imagine entering a quiet room, with your teacher doing paperwork and then just sit there and start screaming at each other. And these aren't children. 20 year olds.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9665 on: April 08, 2019, 03:24:52 pm »
I got diagnosed with tinnitus in my right ear, 5khz to 8khz is basically  lowered by 40% and all I hear is ringing.

If my kids don't STFU, I'm gonna let em know what's up.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9666 on: April 08, 2019, 03:24:58 pm »
Students come in to my room 30 minutes before class starts. I'd rather they didn't, but fine. I don't own the room. They then proceed to have shout talking conversations across the room. 2 or 3 guys at one table and another guy at a table across the other side of the room, booming voices, shout talking. Shut up. Please.
Imagine entering a quiet room, with your teacher doing paperwork and then just sit there and start screaming at each other. And these aren't children. 20 year olds.

if only someone had created a thread about this kind of thing.  like something about Koreans possibly being immune to noise or something like that.  if only....

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9667 on: April 08, 2019, 03:27:32 pm »

if only someone had created a thread about this kind of thing.  like something about Koreans possibly being immune to noise or something like that.  if only....

This is very much still a viable thread for that post.
The World Ends With You

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9668 on: April 08, 2019, 07:19:27 pm »
I got diagnosed with tinnitus in my right ear, 5khz to 8khz is basically  lowered by 40% and all I hear is ringing.

Similar thing happened to me last year, it was a combination of a sinus infection after a flu, stress and noisy students, not just in the class but in the hallway. I enforced extremely strict noise rules in class and took ZERO sh*t from students who tried to protest. I strongly advise you do the same, since the ringing can be a sign of permanent hearing loss.   

Keep hydrated, keep your stress levels down, stop drinking for now and keep your ears warm and it should heal.

Best of luck.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9669 on: April 08, 2019, 07:32:49 pm »

Similar thing happened to me last year, it was a combination of a sinus infection after a flu, stress and noisy students, not just in the class but in the hallway. I enforced extremely strict noise rules in class and took ZERO sh*t from students who tried to protest. I strongly advise you do the same, since the ringing can be a sign of permanent hearing loss.   

Keep hydrated, keep your stress levels down, stop drinking for now and keep your ears warm and it should heal.

Best of luck.

It's not healing, man. I have permanent tinnitus. It's a ringing forever.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9670 on: April 09, 2019, 08:55:38 am »
****** old people ambling diagonally, across the middle of busy roads. I know they grew up in a time before cars, but they can't be that dumb. Just stepping out onto an 8 lane road and shuffling across, at an angle of course. And there's always a crossing for them to use just up the road.

Yes i know:
-being old and infirm sucks
-maybe they dont have the energy to walk 50 m up the road to the controlled crossing
-they are old please understand their situation

but none of that matters to the fully loaded 50 tonne car mover trucks, or taxi drivers who brake for no one, or the guy who bought the new bmw with no deposit down and 32% p.a interest.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9671 on: April 09, 2019, 09:18:27 am »
i don't buy the whole "they grew up in a different time" argument. i mean, yeah, they did, but is isn't hard to figure out modern ways of doing things. let people off of the subway first, don't walk into the middle of traffic, wait in line instead of pushing to the front. just an excuse for letting them get away with their shitty behaviour

« Reply #9672 on: April 09, 2019, 11:46:24 am »
It's not healing, man. I have permanent tinnitus. It's a ringing forever.

I'm sorry. What led up to it?

You could try having a short lesson about tinnitus with your students and emphasizing that they need to keep their noise levels down while in your classroom with you. You could even have a little sign or diagram where you can place velcroed faces indicating how much the noise level might be bothering you atm.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #9673 on: April 09, 2019, 12:05:48 pm »
My KEB/Hana check card is about to expire, so I'm waiting on a new one. Annoyingly, they will only deliver it if I'm there to receive and sign for it myself. That means I obviously can't have it sent to my apartment, since I'm at work most of the day. I gave them my school address, but twice now the delivery guy has come when I was teaching a class, and rather than coming to let me know he's here or sending him to my classroom, the front office has just sent him away each time. He'll try one more time tomorrow, and if I'm not available to sign it when it comes, I'll have to find time to go to the post office later in the week to pick it up myself. Nothing can ever be simple.

Related question for non-Americans: How do banks do it in your countries? Back home, whenever my card was set to expire, they'd just send me a new one in the mail. I didn't have to sign for it, it was just in a discreet envelope, and once I received it I had to go online to activate it. Is the US the odd man out in that regard? Is it common for banks to require signature on delivery for new cards elsewhere?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9674 on: April 09, 2019, 12:17:45 pm »
My KEB/Hana check card is about to expire, so I'm waiting on a new one. Annoyingly, they will only deliver it if I'm there to receive and sign for it myself. That means I obviously can't have it sent to my apartment, since I'm at work most of the day. I gave them my school address, but twice now the delivery guy has come when I was teaching a class, and rather than coming to let me know he's here or sending him to my classroom, the front office has just sent him away each time. He'll try one more time tomorrow, and if I'm not available to sign it when it comes, I'll have to find time to go to the post office later in the week to pick it up myself. Nothing can ever be simple.

Related question for non-Americans: How do banks do it in your countries? Back home, whenever my card was set to expire, they'd just send me a new one in the mail. I didn't have to sign for it, it was just in a discreet envelope, and once I received it I had to go online to activate it. Is the US the odd man out in that regard? Is it common for banks to require signature on delivery for new cards elsewhere?

Same in NZ, they send you a new one in the post, and it has the same pin code and everything on it. Credit cards, I'm not sure about, as I only got my first one in Korea, and it's still got another 4 years on it. :p

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #9675 on: April 09, 2019, 12:19:09 pm »
i don't buy the whole "they grew up in a different time" argument. i mean, yeah, they did, but is isn't hard to figure out modern ways of doing things. let people off of the subway first, don't walk into the middle of traffic, wait in line instead of pushing to the front. just an excuse for letting them get away with their shitty behaviour

i agree 100000%

anytime somebody starts with that dogsht excuse, my automated reply is "it's 2019"
too many blueprints & not enough architects

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• south korea
« Reply #9676 on: April 09, 2019, 12:27:36 pm »

not sure if this will help you out or not but i just had to do the same thing with my bank this morning. the chip in my debit card must be damaged or something because last night it wouldn't work at a restaurant and at a mart.

i called the bank and asked them to send out a new card to my school. she made a point to ask me if i will accept delivery or do i give permission for my school to accept delivery. not sure if i will be here or at my secondary school when it arrives, so i told her i'm ok with anyone in the school office accepting the delivery. didn't seem to be an issue, but we will see what happens.

*i'm having it sent to my school instead of my apartment because the chances of them messing up delivery to a school is almost zero compared to my apartment with 800 mailboxes.

« Reply #9677 on: April 09, 2019, 12:36:35 pm »

i had my Hana credit card delivered last week.  all you need to do is explain to the admin that you've got a delivery coming, and give them your alien registration card.  when the post guy comes, he'll see your alien card, leave the card, that's enough. 

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• south korea
« Reply #9678 on: April 09, 2019, 12:40:27 pm »

i had my Hana credit card delivered last week.  all you need to do is explain to the admin that you've got a delivery coming, and give them your alien registration card.  when the post guy comes, he'll see your alien card, lave the card, that's enough. 

i personally would never leave my ARC card with anybody - maybe a photocopy of the front and back but never the actual card.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9679 on: April 09, 2019, 08:15:15 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHB-KlPBwzA

[7:22]

"It was super cool to interact with the kids like that."

>:(

Kids: "Kill that American piece of sh*t."

Guy who can't understand Korean: "Haha. Thanks."

A cross cultural exchange with increased understanding and friendship between peoples ... is what he thinks happened ... but didn't.