Read 1687472 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9420 on: February 10, 2019, 09:03:44 pm »
Putting an hour and a half worth of vids on here is pretty bold. God, I put 7 min videos I made in the Blog section and no one cares. hahahaha Good luck.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9421 on: February 12, 2019, 11:51:34 am »
Especially considering that it's a topic most folk grow out of after realizing there's **** all one can do about the line of one's jaw, convexity of one's face, size of one's boobs etc. without serious reconstructive surgery.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, my rant of the day:

Does anybody else find these advert banners a bit insulting/offensive/distasteful/inappropriate when posted on this site?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:54:48 am by kyndo »

« Reply #9422 on: February 12, 2019, 11:56:40 am »

Yeah, that's not the best look. Has anyone read the dude's book? Is it even any good?

"The reason my students and these schools exist is to provide me with a party lifestyle in SE Asia" seems to be the vibe I get.

« Reply #9423 on: February 12, 2019, 11:57:14 am »
King Stannis of the House Baratheon, the First of His Name, The King in the Narrow Sea, Warrior of Light, The Lord's Chosen, Son of Fire, The Prince That Was Promised hereby grants you, Lord Oglopof house Waygook, a place in the King's Guard for your continued correct usage of English grammar.

Small rant: HBO got it wrong (and possibly GRRM, I don't know- the man's worldbuilding is terrific. His writing? Oy). Stannis had tons of Charisma, perhaps only exceeded by Tywin. He was meant not to have any, but he was a lot better than most of the other crowd.

Jon Snow, Robb Stark, Daenerys, and all the other crappy heroes we had shoved down our throats are a bunch of lame.

I disagree. I thought Stannis had all the charisma of a toaster oven. He was a really interesting character, but not especially charismatic. I think that both the characters you mentioned were deeply flawed, and in my opinion, it's those flaws that make them interesting and sympathetic. GRRM is great at writing characters that aren't overly black or white: morality in 50 shades of gray.  :wink:

« Reply #9424 on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:44 pm »
King Stannis of the House Baratheon, the First of His Name, The King in the Narrow Sea, Warrior of Light, The Lord's Chosen, Son of Fire, The Prince That Was Promised hereby grants you, Lord Oglopof house Waygook, a place in the King's Guard for your continued correct usage of English grammar.

Small rant: HBO got it wrong (and possibly GRRM, I don't know- the man's worldbuilding is terrific. His writing? Oy). Stannis had tons of Charisma, perhaps only exceeded by Tywin. He was meant not to have any, but he was a lot better than most of the other crowd.

Jon Snow, Robb Stark, Daenerys, and all the other crappy heroes we had shoved down our throats are a bunch of lame.

I disagree. I thought Stannis had all the charisma of a toaster oven. He was a really interesting character, but not especially charismatic. I think that both the characters you mentioned were deeply flawed, and in my opinion, it's those flaws that make them interesting and sympathetic. GRRM is great at writing characters that aren't overly black or white: morality in 50 shades of gray.  :wink:

that should be davos. davos is the best. stannis would be nothing without davos (probably... maybe).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:22:25 pm by tylerthegloob »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:27:55 pm by kyndo »

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #9426 on: February 12, 2019, 07:23:50 pm »

that should be davos. davos is the best. stannis would be nothing without davos (probably... maybe).

Davos is bae.

« Reply #9427 on: February 13, 2019, 08:01:06 am »
In my head I always pictured Dave Stepz looking like Stannis.

Hope he's ok wherever he is  :sad:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9428 on: February 13, 2019, 08:47:35 am »
oh yeah. where's dave?

« Reply #9429 on: February 13, 2019, 08:51:41 am »
oh yeah. where's dave?

Looks like his account has been deleted.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #9430 on: February 13, 2019, 09:02:46 am »
oh yeah. where's dave?

Looks like his account has been deleted.

Stannis indeed.

« Reply #9431 on: February 13, 2019, 10:23:13 am »
Good God, these kids STINK!

They're sitting here watching movies during this pointless week of class and of course, most probably haven't taken those long, puffy coats off since October, even when in a room with all the windows shut and a fully functional aircon.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #9432 on: February 13, 2019, 03:45:41 pm »
It seems like they do a lot of unnecessary things over here. At my local train station they just removed 2 perfectly good bike racks and replaced them with one small one. Now the available bike spaces have gone down from about 30 to about 7. So now people are leaving their bikes In various places. It's quite hard to find a place to leave your bike now.

« Reply #9433 on: February 14, 2019, 08:34:44 am »
Have to deal with a gyopo who is basically a real life example of the walking negative stereotype. It almost doesn't seem real. Gawd, what is even this year?

« Reply #9434 on: February 14, 2019, 08:49:00 am »
Have to deal with a gyopo who is basically a real life example of the walking negative stereotype. It almost doesn't seem real. Gawd, what is even this year?

what does that mean?

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
« Reply #9435 on: February 14, 2019, 08:49:20 am »

I'm curious as to what the stereotypes are. I only know one Gyopo, so I can't really judge.
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9436 on: February 14, 2019, 09:09:38 am »

I'm curious as to what the stereotypes are. I only know one Gyopo, so I can't really judge.

I have met so many American gyopos who put on this "inner city, hiphop" identity. It's very bizarre to hear the first time. I listened to hiphop religiously from...........15 to 18? Let's be honest, it's a pretty damn black scene. So watching these Korean looking American guys speaking EXACTLY like this was very confusing for a while. haha

The stereotype would be, in short, "Defender of Korea whilst not having an idea of what is actually going on."

That said, I can't imagine it's easy for them. Pulled in every damn direction. Immigrant (in certain parts of society's eyes), minority, Chinese kid back home. Foreigner, Ethno-nationalist brethren, mixed person over here. I don't envy it.

« Reply #9437 on: February 14, 2019, 09:24:41 am »

what does that mean?

Something that is living and active.

Pretentious, arrogant, insecure, all rolled into one.

The negative stereotype involves looking down one's nose at other foreigners for any reason and having an unfounded sense of superiority simply for being ethnically Korean, which is usually a product of their own sense of insecurity in the first place (basically an overcompensation to help them cope with feelings of inadequacy). Doesn't matter what their actual background or experience is with the culture, being ethnically Korean somehow makes them an expert in all things Korean, and anything anyone else has to say about their personal experiences with the culture is automatically wrong by default. This often carries into all other areas, too. Without knowing anything about you or your background, whatever you have to say about anything ever is trumped by their superior opinions and non-existent knowledge about whatever subject because this is Korea and they are "Korean".

And if something negative happens to another foreigner, no matter what happened, no matter what it is... it's because that foreigner clearly did something wrong since nothing like that ever happens to them (they kind of refuse to consider the fact that having a Korean face changes one's experiences here). Westerners are all trash.

They will defend Korea to the death. Even if the subject isn't about Korea, they're going to make it about Korea.

Most gyopos I know are nothing like this. I met a few who are, but they were to a minor degree.

The gyopo I'm talking about, though, is basically a cartoon caricature of the whole thing. He is probably the most ridiculous person I have ever met since being in Korea. He was adopted at three and has only been in Korea for about a year, lol.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:10:47 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #9438 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:00 am »

Lol, we were all talking about this on another thread just a few days ago.
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=114458.120

I have met so many American gyopos who put on this "inner city, hiphop" identity. It's very bizarre to hear the first time. I listened to hiphop religiously from...........15 to 18? Let's be honest, it's a pretty damn black scene. So watching these Korean looking American guys speaking EXACTLY like this was very confusing for a while. haha
Cali probably.

I couldn't stand that crap. Though to be fair, some did come from some REALLY crappy neighborhoods and worked in nail and weave stores or liquor stores and a few actually ran with some gangs and stuff. A lot of them are just frontin, but there's enough that have done things real that you can't just assume they're full of it, because if you do and it's the wrong dude...that can end up ugly.

That said, I can't imagine it's easy for them. Pulled in every damn direction. Immigrant (in certain parts of society's eyes), minority, Chinese kid back home. Foreigner, Ethno-nationalist brethren, mixed person over here. I don't envy it.

Well something else to consider is that the more diverse your school and neighborhood, the more likely EVERYONE is seriously into hip-hop and that affects how everyone talks and presents themselves and their fashion. Korean/Black/African/Latino/Caribbean/Arab/Chaldean/Armenian/Russian/Turkish/Persian/Serbian/Vietnamese, usually everyone goes hip-hop when put in that melting pot environment, toss in a little Top-40 and techno.

Like where in my high school the WEIRD kids were the ones who listened to alternative and rock. Everyone else listened to Hip-Hop/R&B/Top-40 Pop. I remember at one point you could see kids of all races wearing FUBU with doo-rags on. Things went both ways too as some black kids would go for a more preppy look and go more towards Top-40 Pop boy bandish-Britney kind of stuff. But the overriding theme for music was "Music you could dance too and none of that guitar shit. Except for the occasional good song/poppy rock song."

The gyopo I'm talking about, though, is basically a cartoon caricature of the whole thing. He is probably the most ridiculous person I have ever met since being in Korea. He was adopted at three and has only been in Korea for about a year, lol.
Minor quibble- adoptees aren't gyopos. Adoptees aren't gyopos unless they were adopted like, after turning 8 or so. The big difference is growing up with Korean vs. American parents and the rules and expectations. A lot of adoptees grew up with minimal or no exposure to Korean culture.

In many cases, they're just an asshole period.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
« Reply #9439 on: February 14, 2019, 09:36:41 am »
Well now I'm certainly glad my Gyopo friend is nothing like that.

Sounds like just an absolute pain to be around  :-[
The World Ends With You