Read 1421392 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5400 on: May 30, 2017, 09:20:02 am »
I've been asked to make a reading test for my Gr.3's (elementary). I can only use vocabularly from one lesson chapter. I make the test and show it to my CT's.  They claim the words "up" and "down" are too difficult and ask me to remake the test using nouns.  So I remake the test with "book", "melon" etc.  Again, too difficult.  I ask if they want me to just use the letters and make it more of a phonics quiz.  Nope, that's not allowed because the curriculum demands a reading test.
Somehow I have to make a reading test that doesn't use any words. :cry:

I wanted to reply to this but then the forum broke. I've attached an example of a ten minute test my CT did with the students. I think this is what your CTs might be looking for.  Although my CT did comment it might be too difficult a test because the grade 3s can't read....

« Reply #5401 on: May 30, 2017, 10:03:48 am »

High of 92 today

Is it simply being stubborn that America will not catch up with the rest of the world and use metric instead of imperial, and use celsius when measuring temperature?

It infuriates me that I have to constantly convert a measurements when reading american books or websites.  It's like they think no one else outside of America will read it or perhaps they simply don't give a crap if anyone does.

It's habit for me unfortunately, didn't mean to swing my star-spangled wang in anyone's face. I am not proud.

« Reply #5402 on: May 30, 2017, 10:34:23 am »

High of 92 today

Is it simply being stubborn that America will not catch up with the rest of the world and use metric instead of imperial, and use celsius when measuring temperature?

It infuriates me that I have to constantly convert a measurements when reading american books or websites.  It's like they think no one else outside of America will read it or perhaps they simply don't give a crap if anyone does.

It's habit for me unfortunately, didn't mean to swing my star-spangled wang in anyone's face. I am not proud.

It wasn't really directed at you, it just set me off.  I don't hold it against you, it's what you were taught from year dot so it's understandable.  Sorry.  It's the system in general I was going off at.

« Reply #5403 on: May 30, 2017, 11:38:38 am »

I'm sorry.
I'm an American. I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up and lose the accent.

92^F is a little over 33^C, buy the way. And despite my stubborn and imperious (i.e. American) proclivities, I'd be in favor of switching to metric just for the sake of never having to spell Fairenhite ever again.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:41:01 am by donovan »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5404 on: May 30, 2017, 11:52:29 am »

I'm sorry.
I'm an American. I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up and lose the accent.

92^F is a little over 33^C, buy the way. And despite my stubborn and imperious (i.e. American) proclivities, I'd be in favor of switching to metric just for the sake of never having to spell Fairenhite ever again.
Is "buy the way" also an Americanism? 
Kapitalist pigs! >:(

Also, I wouldn't call Hite fair.
Or even mediocre.
Although it *is* better than Cass. (discuss)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:57:10 am by kyndo »

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #5405 on: May 30, 2017, 12:51:36 pm »

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #5406 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »

High of 92 today

I can't help but prefer fahrenheit when talking about hot temps. its' so satisfying to say 90-100 degrees when you're sweating your balls off.

It has it's uses:

When people ask my height, 6 foot 1 has a much better 'oomph' to it than 186cm, which sounds dorkish, in a weird way.

"Before talking about someone behind their back, you should walk a mile in their shoes... That way, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

With kilometers, the joke just doesn't ring as well.

There's no excuse for tiny measurements though. Measuring the action height on my guitar in
3/16ths, 1/8th, 4/5ths of an inch etc... Just use millimeters, for Pete's sake.

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #5407 on: May 30, 2017, 01:42:25 pm »
In the UK we use a weird mix of both though which can get confusing, I wish we would fully switch.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5408 on: May 30, 2017, 01:50:25 pm »
In the UK we use a weird mix of both though which can get confusing, I wish we would fully switch.

Canada, too. I'm 5'7" and 180lbs. It's 100km from Barrie to Toronto. This steak is 16oz, as is my draft beer. But, my bottle is 330ml. 

My body temperature is 37 degrees but my favourite band is 98 Degrees.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #5409 on: May 30, 2017, 01:51:36 pm »

I'm sorry. I'm an American. I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up and lose the accent.

Is "buy the way" also an Americanism? 
Kapitalist pigs!  >:(
Not merely an Americanism.  It's The American Way.

Pear and Hite is okay.

Alcohol that tastes good? Sissy stuff!

I can't help but prefer fahrenheit when talking about hot temps. its' so satisfying to say 90-100 degrees when you're sweating your balls off.

What kind of balls we talkin here? You're awfully close to appropriating male culture here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:55:27 pm by donovan »

• kriztee
  • Expert Waygook

• December 18, 2015, 01:33:06 am
« Reply #5410 on: May 30, 2017, 01:55:51 pm »

Same with parts of Canada. Usually body measurements are taken using the imperial system. Maybe cuz having a 31 waist sounds smaller than 79cm...

« Reply #5411 on: May 30, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »
If I click on a fitness article and read that someone reduced their weight by a stone I immediately stop reading. Not worth the effort.

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #5412 on: May 30, 2017, 02:24:59 pm »
Korean Netflix.  Why does it say that it has LOTR:TTT Extended Edition when it is definitely not the extended edition?  :cry: >:(
I'm broken hearted.

« Reply #5413 on: May 30, 2017, 02:58:45 pm »

High of 92 today

lol yes it doesn't quite feel right to say 30C when your face is melting off but yes it's a silly system

« Reply #5414 on: May 30, 2017, 03:10:37 pm »
If I click on a fitness article and read that someone reduced their weight by a stone I immediately stop reading. Not worth the effort.

shedding stones from your body does sound tough, though, much like 100 degrees sounds horrendously hot.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5415 on: May 30, 2017, 03:14:14 pm »

shedding stones from your body does sound tough, though, much like 100 degrees sounds horrendously hot.
Second Seinfeld meme of the day, hot damn.

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #5416 on: May 30, 2017, 03:23:22 pm »

Second Seinfeld meme of the day, hot damn.

Oof. Imagine how tough it would be if one of those 'stones' were 14 pounds (~20231KRW). :shocked:

• scpru
  • Veteran

• October 03, 2016, 09:46:41 am
    • Samcheonpo
« Reply #5417 on: May 30, 2017, 03:26:14 pm »
Why can't I find more about the 3 teens that were idiots in Hongdae last week? kljsdfhlksdjf

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #5418 on: May 30, 2017, 03:52:01 pm »

Pear and Hite is okay.

Alcohol that tastes good? Sissy stuff!

Ooo, pear?? I am all about them girly dranks that are pleasant to the taste.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul