Read 1462609 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9960 on: June 24, 2019, 01:07:49 pm »
Ever take a taxi and the driver drives while tooting his horn every 10m for no reason other than he has ingrained it into his muscle memory.

Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #9961 on: June 24, 2019, 01:17:08 pm »
Ever take a taxi and the driver drives while tooting his horn every 10m for no reason other than he has ingrained it into his muscle memory.

What about the ones who've tweaked the power on their horns so much so that they'd drown out the 'Big Bang'?

That, or if you put a duck in front of it, then sounded the horn, you'd have a humane way to remove feathers, but then a duck with an insomnia problem from their little ears ringing.  Poor duck. 

« Reply #9962 on: June 24, 2019, 01:44:29 pm »

What about the ones who've tweaked the power on their horns so much so that they'd drown out the 'Big Bang'?

That, or if you put a duck in front of it, then sounded the horn, you'd have a humane way to remove feathers, but then a duck with an insomnia problem from their little ears ringing.  Poor duck. 

You've gone quackers.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #9963 on: June 25, 2019, 02:20:38 pm »
I get in these stubborn to-and-fro ruts...

First, a while back was with the old Chemistry teacher who keeps turning off the air cleaner in the teacher's office because he doesn't like it.  I mean it cleans the air for all the teachers.  So I turn it back on, and then he turns it off again, then if I'm in the teacher's room I'll turn it on again.  This carried on for a few weeks at least three/four times a day.

Second, I wrote about here earlier this year, with the careers teacher thinking he can spread out all his printouts on my desk as I don't really stay in that room.  So he spread them out, I come to school early to next day so placed them all back on his desk neatly.  Then during the day, he'd put them back, and the next morning, I put them all back on his desk.  This lasted a week.

This last couple of weeks, with the contract English teacher.  One of the teacher's father-in-law passed away, so we all got a box of rice cakes.  So I ate mine.  But the contract teacher decided to put his full box on my desk, whether he thought I'd eat them I'm not sure, but like i said I don't really sit at my desk.  So in the morning, I'd put it back on his desk.  Then when I came in the next day, the box was back on my desk.  Obviously, rice cakes go to shit after a couple of days.  We kept this up until yesterday, when he finally decided to throw them away. 

« Reply #9964 on: June 25, 2019, 02:30:52 pm »
Never experienced that at work, but it's like a neverending war I have with my neighbor. My first battle with him involved him taking the adverts from his door and sticking them onto mine. Then I'd stick it right back on his door, and it would go back and forth like that for a few days before he'd finally give up and throw his own gawddamn trash away... or toss it onto the floor for the landlady to clean up, I know he's done this at least a couple of times. Then the process would repeat itself the next time someone stuck adverts on the doors. It finally stopped when I ****** slammed the advert back on his door one time. I didn't actually think he was home, I was just having a bad day and took it out on the advert and his door, haha. But after that, he never stuck his trash on my door again.

I've continued to have issues with him, though. The odd thing is he's not consistent about his bullshit. He'll start something up, it'll go on for a few months, and then he'll stop. I'm pretty sure it's because a lot of what he does affects the other tenants, too, and the complaints pile on until the landlady finally steps in and gets him to stop. Not sure why she hasn't forced him to move out, yet, he's such a pain in the ass, and I don't think they're related, but I don't ****** know.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:49:47 pm by Chinguetti »

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9965 on: June 25, 2019, 09:40:12 pm »
Just felt so defeated today and literally stopped the class, mid-lesson, sat down and did work on my computer while the students sat in silence. I've encountered this before and managed to swallow my frustration and get through the lesson, but today I just couldn't. The fact that the aircon was broken and it was 32 degrees in the class might've been a factor.

I've been teaching the 6th grade class in question for 2yrs, and almost every other lesson I've had to reteach and remind them what a noun is. After teaching, I'd elicit a few nouns from them to make sure they understood and most of them would get it right. Mind you, there a few who seem to have the gift of supreme density. By the next lesson, they'd have completely forgotten.

I used the same teaching approach at my other schools and most of the students could easily give me 10 nouns on demand.

After going through a really well-made PPT, if I don't mind saying so myself, for one of the more interesting lessons from the book (one about appearances), the students didn't show the slightest bit of interest. This isn't a badly behaved or noisy class, they just don't seem retain anything.

Before explaining what an adjective was, I decided to review nouns and verbs. Of course, not one of them bothered to engage in the lesson and just sat there staring blankly. At that moment I just couldn't bring myself to reteach a noun again. All my will and passion to get these kids to learn something just left and I just put the boardmarker down and busied myself with my computer.

By the way, I have no CT at that school.

Not sure what I'm going to do next week, but right now, I'm set on being giving homework to write and and explain what a noun and a verb is (in Korean so they understand), along with at least 50 examples of each. If a student isn't able to or willing tell me what a noun, verb or adjective is on command, I'll make them redo said homework. I really don't care if they dislike me, but if they can at least get through elementary school knowing what the 3 most important parts of speech are and how to identify them, I'll be happy that I've done my job.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9966 on: June 25, 2019, 10:14:53 pm »
I've been teaching the 6th grade class in question for 2yrs, and almost every other lesson I've had to reteach and remind them what a noun is.

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9967 on: June 26, 2019, 07:36:07 am »
I'll be happy that I've done my job.

I teach in an academic high school and students have to pass a test to come here, so the general level of my students is pretty good.  But when I have my writing evaluation marking there is one student, who is now 2nd grade, that seems to guess all of her spellings by how it sounds.  She's 17 years old, she's been studying English for god knows how long, and she's still guessing the spelling of 'puhrends'.  She is a really nice kid and she tries hard but I'm not sure how she can get to this age, having read and studied English for this long, and to have not taken in anything she'd read to the point that she is still guessing the spelling of these simple words.  I asked my co-teacher about her and if she had some dyslexia or some other learning difficulty and they said no.     :undecided:  I'm sure it's too late, with another 300 students to teach, to go back and try and fix this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:37:54 am by Ronnie Omelettes »

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #9968 on: June 26, 2019, 07:48:08 am »
I have left my brain somewhere. I forgot my medication, my test paper, camp prep, and some lesson plans at home! Wish I could forget myself at home so I didn't have to come to school -_-
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

« Reply #9969 on: June 26, 2019, 08:41:39 am »
Just felt so defeated today and literally stopped the class, mid-lesson, sat down and did work on my computer while the students sat in silence...

I definitely feel your pain here and I've come close a few times to doing that. 

I always thought I went a bit overboard on trying to get into their heads what adjectives, nouns and verbs are but I agree that it is essential for them to know it.  But yeah, I still get a sea of blank faces when I ask for examples of each.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9970 on: June 26, 2019, 11:54:01 am »
Just felt so defeated today and literally stopped the class, mid-lesson, sat down and did work on my computer while the students sat in silence...

I always thought I went a bit overboard on trying to get into their heads what adjectives, nouns and verbs are but I agree that it is essential for them to know it.  But yeah, I still get a sea of blank faces when I ask for examples of each.

I explain "adjective" as "Brother Dragon four, but in Korean", and wait for it to click. Once they get it, most of the kiddos will always remember that "adjective = brother dragon four".
... although not all of them are clear what 형용사 is in Korean either, so that can be a stumbling block...  :rolleyes:

« Reply #9971 on: June 26, 2019, 12:09:34 pm »

I explain "adjective" as "Brother Dragon four, but in Korean", and wait for it to click. Once they get it, most of the kiddos will always remember that "adjective = brother dragon four".
... although not all of them are clear what 형용사 is in Korean either, so that can be a stumbling block...  :rolleyes:

This has been my problem, even with high-schoolers. They don't know the basics of language.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9972 on: June 29, 2019, 12:00:42 am »
anyone else ever experience unbearable stenches on the subway coming from some people? it's like.. they've been rubbing themselves in raw garlic and kimchi then refusing to wash for a week

wonder if i smell weird to koreans, as my wife never seems to notice these smells :/

« Reply #9973 on: June 29, 2019, 02:59:02 pm »
Circumstance: Today, in a huge cafe. It is the size of 2 villas put together, 3 floors. Maybe 1/3 full at most. (lots of places all over)

I am there with 5 other people at a large table playing a board game and having our coffee. I can hear people yelling from the other side of the building and laughing. A guy behind on speakerphone talking on the phone. We are not being loud or anything over the top IMO. After 10 min a lady from 2 tables comes over to tell us to be quiet.... We obviously obliged and tried to keep it down but why is it that she just didn't move to the other side of the building? Why did she not go over to any of the Koreans making noise right beside her?

I mean, I guess this is a rhetorical question and also just a rant but wtf....

I've had similar encounters. I think they want to tell the other Koreans to shut up, but they can't, so they say it to us instead, hoping others will indirectly take a hint.

• mjc8500
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2018, 05:27:23 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #9974 on: June 29, 2019, 08:26:38 pm »
anyone else ever experience unbearable stenches on the subway coming from some people? it's like.. they've been rubbing themselves in raw garlic and kimchi then refusing to wash for a week

wonder if i smell weird to koreans, as my wife never seems to notice these smells :/

Damn dude. Racist much?

So some people have body odor? Big deal. It happens, especially when it's hot out and people are packed into confined spaces. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9975 on: June 29, 2019, 08:41:56 pm »
which bit is the racist bit?

just wondering if my nose is more sensitive than it used to be, as i never used to notice so many bad smells. then again, i never used to live on line 2
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:45:12 pm by oglop »

« Reply #9976 on: June 29, 2019, 11:31:14 pm »

Damn dude. Racist much?

So some people have body odor? Big deal. It happens, especially when it's hot out and people are packed into confined spaces. 

Aha: SJW/Virtue signaller alert>>> Don't you have a safe space you can hide in?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9977 on: June 30, 2019, 11:36:13 am »
bernard werber is on korean tv right now.

bernard werber written in hangeul is 베르나르 베르베르

lol

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9978 on: July 01, 2019, 08:13:53 am »

lol
The first time I heard his name was when a class full of students were telling me "Berunaru Beruberu!" Didn't help  that i'd never heard of him up until that point. We went back and forth for a good 5 minutes.
Me: Bernaru who?!
Them : BERUNAARU BERUBERU!!!!!
Me: Where's he from?
Them: France
Me: ? Beruberu doesn't sound very French. Is like French Algerian?
Them: BERUBERU!!!!!!!!!!!
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #9979 on: July 01, 2019, 08:30:13 am »

lol

For the holidays I'm doing a stopover in Warsaw.  So said that to the teachers.  But I knew that I had to think of it in Hanguel, but they didn't understand what I said, so when I checked it, it was 바르샤바.

Not even close.