Read 1485375 times

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9920 on: June 17, 2019, 04:48:12 pm »
I can not STAND riding the after school bus back home.

All the kids from the neighboring high school pile into this bus and are loud and rowdy as can be.

Not only that, the Korean lack of spatial awareness really kicks in. I have been hit in the face with a phone, and have had hair fly in my face on multiple occasions. Today alone, hair touched my face twice, a girl fell into me after losing balance (won't fault that one too much but still), and the kid behind me bumped my head while getting off the bus.

It's just 30 minutes of hell

DEEP SIGH
The World Ends With You

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9921 on: June 17, 2019, 04:59:29 pm »
How about getting a bicycle? Commuting that way would be good exercise.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #9922 on: June 17, 2019, 11:02:11 pm »
Please refrain from making any environmentally sound choices and under absolutely no circumstances one should ever opt to 'go biking' when perfectly sound diesel-fueled alternatives are readily available.

When in doubt please refer to my avatar and profile page for detailed information on how to pollute the planet with renewed vigour and dedication to burning every blasphemous living tree to a crisp. Especially those Amazonian ones!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:01:37 am by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9923 on: June 18, 2019, 07:13:54 am »

It'd be a waste at this point. I've already decided not to renew after this semester is over.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9924 on: June 18, 2019, 08:28:11 am »
I can not STAND riding the after school bus back home.

All the kids from the neighboring high school pile into this bus and are loud and rowdy as can be.

Not only that, the Korean lack of spatial awareness really kicks in. I have been hit in the face with a phone, and have had hair fly in my face on multiple occasions. Today alone, hair touched my face twice, a girl fell into me after losing balance (won't fault that one too much but still), and the kid behind me bumped my head while getting off the bus.

It's just 30 minutes of hell

DEEP SIGH

How tall are you? 5ft?

Before I get on the bus I smother myself in marmite it really helps with the personal space issues a lot and it's edible when I get home.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #9925 on: June 18, 2019, 09:05:22 am »

This is a great idea! I was motivated to buy one after they changed the bus schedule resulting in the bus to work always being over-crowded. I've lost so much weight, haha!

« Reply #9926 on: June 18, 2019, 09:14:52 am »
How tall are you? 5ft?

Before I get on the bus I smother myself in marmite it really helps with the personal space issues a lot and it's edible when I get home.

It has its benefits, but still a bit prudish.

I find sitting on the bus stark bollock naked stops any personal space issues.

But then I'm hungry when I get home.

So I guess you win. 

*door closes*

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9927 on: June 18, 2019, 10:47:37 am »
How tall are you? 5ft?

6ft, actually. And I'm still not sure what marmite is to be frank. Is it anything like vegemite?
The World Ends With You

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9928 on: June 18, 2019, 11:42:08 am »
How tall are you? 5ft?

6ft, actually. And I'm still not sure what marmite is to be frank. Is it anything like vegemite?

Vegemite is the crappier version of the original, marmite, which is a sandwich spread. I don't think it's popular outside the UK and South Africa.
I can believe marmite would be a great deterrent over here, from my albeit limited experience, I've come to believe that the taste and smell of marmite is particularly repugnant to Asians, as the taste and smell is pretty alien to traditional Asian cuisine.

I absolutely love my marmite, breakfast of champions. You'll either love it or hate it.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9929 on: June 18, 2019, 11:55:31 am »
How tall are you? 5ft?

Vegemite is the crappier version of the original, marmite, which is a sandwich spread. I don't think it's popular outside the UK and South Africa.
I can believe marmite would be a great deterrent over here, from my albeit limited experience, I've come to believe that the taste and smell of marmite is particularly repugnant to Asians, as the taste and smell is pretty alien to traditional Asian cuisine.

I absolutely love my marmite, breakfast of champions. You'll either love it or hate it.

There is a NZ version too.
All forms of it are rancid though. I wouldn't even touch it, unless I'm wearing a hazmat suit :p

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9930 on: June 20, 2019, 01:10:59 pm »
Man, some people in the Expat Korea Facebook groups are so useless and weird.

"Hey, I need friends. PM me."

How about you take off and get maimed? I don't understand the thought process.

"Hey, that random internet stranger who reeks of despair and loneliness wants friends, I could be a friend!"

Ugh................... SO USELESS and makes me so confused and pissed off.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9931 on: June 20, 2019, 01:36:51 pm »

"Hey, that random internet stranger who reeks of despair and loneliness wants friends, I could be a friend!"

Well I have to sympathise a little bit here because I see that a lot too.

Ugly/slightly older/non attractive man does this = mocked mercilessly in the comments.

Hot young woman does the same thing = wall to wall adoration, helpful comments, suggestions, recommendations (from men and women I should add).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:38:27 pm by alexisalex »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9932 on: June 20, 2019, 01:44:44 pm »
Hot young woman does the same thing = wall to wall adoration, helpful comments, suggestions, recommendations (from men and women I should add).

Immediately suspicious. hahahaha

Hot babes online don't just fall in your lap, kids, not unless you pay.

And you will pay, one way or another, in some form.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9933 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:55 pm »

Ugly/slightly older/non attractive man does this = mocked mercilessly in the comments.

I agree with Alex.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this in the same way that there's nothing wrong with online dating. The internet is so big, why not use it to gain some real life friends? Not everyone is good at making friends by going out, plus some people might not even live in a place with many foreigners to begin with.
The World Ends With You

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9934 on: June 20, 2019, 02:00:14 pm »

I agree with Alex.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this in the same way that there's nothing wrong with online dating. The internet is so big, why not use it to gain some real life friends? Not everyone is good at making friends by going out, plus some people might not even live in a place with many foreigners to begin with.

And don't forget some people might not have great social skills, or might have some anxiety with meeting new people.
If you saw me before university, a post on a facebook group saying: I need friends. or something, would have been way outside of my comfort zone, as I have always struggled interacting with others.
Nowadays, I'm not so bad, but I still struggle with keeping a conversation going (even with people I have known for a while).

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9935 on: June 20, 2019, 02:01:54 pm »

I agree with Alex.

I'm not against making friends online. I'm against going into a FB Group called "Waygooks in Korea" with 25 000 members and writing, as a text post, nothing but

Just................ why? At least write SOMETHING.

"Hey, I'm from Canada, new here in Korea. I'm in Busan near Busan DAE. Anyone wanna play some soccer soon? That would be cool."

Why on Earth would I PM someone when I literally know 1)their name (and only because it appears on FB, they didn't even write that part)  and 2) they want friends?

The kind of posts that I'm talking about are baffling and really bizarre. It's like going into a group and writing "I want food." Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay? So bloody what?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9936 on: June 20, 2019, 02:04:22 pm »
And don't forget some people might not have great social skills, or might have some anxiety with meeting new people.
If you saw me before university, a post on a facebook group saying: I need friends. or something, would have been way outside of my comfort zone, as I have always struggled interacting with others.
Nowadays, I'm not so bad, but I still struggle with keeping a conversation going (even with people I have known for a while).

I get that, but give us something, ANYTHING.

"You play League?"

"Any Blackpink fans here?"

Seriously, anything. I don't need a dating profile but even something to make someone interested.

I am human, I am lonely. PM Me. <---- That's all I can see.

EDIT It also puts the onus of making friendships entirely on us.  "I need friends. I'll be chillin here, waiting for y'all to roll in."

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:22:10 pm by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9937 on: June 20, 2019, 02:27:56 pm »
At least offer to buy beer and have something to stare at to deal with awkward silence 

"Looking for fellow Villan  to watch this weekend's match. Will buy beers and wings."

« Reply #9938 on: June 20, 2019, 02:28:50 pm »

I get that, but give us something, ANYTHING.

"You play League?"

"Any Blackpink fans here?"

Seriously, anything. I don't need a dating profile but even something to make someone interested.

I am human, I am lonely. PM Me. <---- That's all I can see.

EDIT It also puts the onus of making friendships entirely on us.  "I need friends. I'll be chillin here, waiting for y'all to roll in."

Yeah. I agree completely. No matter how socially awkward or shy or whatever you might be, you can still put in a little bit of work.

« Reply #9939 on: June 22, 2019, 09:56:28 pm »
Circumstance: Today, in a huge cafe. It is the size of 2 villas put together, 3 floors. Maybe 1/3 full at most. (lots of places all over)

I am there with 5 other people at a large table playing a board game and having our coffee. I can hear people yelling from the other side of the building and laughing. A guy behind on speakerphone talking on the phone. We are not being loud or anything over the top IMO. After 10 min a lady from 2 tables comes over to tell us to be quiet.... We obviously obliged and tried to keep it down but why is it that she just didn't move to the other side of the building? Why did she not go over to any of the Koreans making noise right beside her?

I mean, I guess this is a rhetorical question and also just a rant but wtf....