Read 2014271 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9880 on: June 11, 2019, 09:11:27 am »
Where do they get it? They get it from the same place as many of you get YOUR sense of superiority.

please take your nationalistic insecurities elsewhere.  this is a ranting/venting thread.  treat it as such.  unless you're ranting about your inferiority complex, then it's fine. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9881 on: June 11, 2019, 10:08:47 am »
Where do they get it? They get it from the same place as many of you get YOUR sense of superiority.

I'm going to go out on a limb, but I'm going to guess most 5th graders aren't going to have the most advanced sense of geography and might react similarly. Think back to your time in 5th grade (yes, yes, I know in your mind everyone was perfectly behaved and devoid of nationalism. Please. Well at least for those of us who went to school during the 90s). If someone had bashed America, I don't think we would have reacted too well either. I mean when I was in 3rd or 4th grade that was during Desert Storm and patriotism was running high. Same with 9/11.
i wasn't bashing korea. we were writing a poem about korea, as a class. one of the students suggested "small", which was accurate. i'm used to the dumb nationalism here as the next guy, but most of  the class suddenly in uproar that someone suggested korea being small was somehow a dig at korea, was a weird reaction. we definitely learnt about country sizes, etc at primary school, e.g. how many times the uk can fit inside the usa" etc. nobody got their knickers in a twist about it

« Reply #9882 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:40 am »
Again, Where do they get it? They get it from the same place as many of you get YOUR sense of superiority.

The place where you presume you are entitled to sit in judgment of them and that your worldview is the correct one an they are wrong for not agreeing with it. The same place we all do.

This is simply to get you to understand that we all possess that same thing in one or another. The same sense of cultural-center that you see in how they express is being expressed right here by all of you. The same kind of presumption. The same shock and denial that you are in any way acting but the correct way. You're doing it. I'm doing it. Everyone is.

But yeah, look at others responses. In some cases there is a serious level of arrogance, presumption and condescension that is just like any Korean nationalism you get. The inherent belief in their superiority and the inferiority of them.

Look at the site kobayashi linked to- http://orientals.web.fc2.com/
It bashes Korea and China for nationalism and ethnocentrism by using...nationalism and ethnocentrism, just in a different form.

« Reply #9883 on: June 11, 2019, 11:09:46 am »
It bashes Korea and China for nationalism and ethnocentrism by using...nationalism and ethnocentrism, just in a different form.

Should we even be looking at that site, being as how it has a RACIST name?

« Reply #9884 on: June 11, 2019, 11:16:31 am »
Again, Where do they get it? They get it from the same place as many of you get YOUR sense of superiority.

The place where you presume you are entitled to sit in judgment of them and that your worldview is the correct one an they are wrong for not agreeing with it. The same place we all do.

This is simply to get you to understand that we all possess that same thing in one or another. The same sense of cultural-center that you see in how they express is being expressed right here by all of you. The same kind of presumption. The same shock and denial that you are in any way acting but the correct way. You're doing it. I'm doing it. Everyone is.

But yeah, look at others responses. In some cases there is a serious level of arrogance, presumption and condescension that is just like any Korean nationalism you get. The inherent belief in their superiority and the inferiority of them.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9885 on: June 11, 2019, 11:17:22 am »

all right, fine. korea is actually massive. one of the biggest countries in the world. happy?

« Reply #9886 on: June 11, 2019, 11:35:20 am »
Should we even be looking at that site, being as how it has a RACIST name?
Click on it all the live-long day. Like I said, it's not the racism, it's the failure to own it and then pretend you aren't a racist. Anyways, the link is little more than a propaganda site meant to show how great Japan and the Japanese people are and how awful China and Korea are. It's pretty much the Japanese version of "Dokdo is Korean". I mean for that site to criticize blind Korean nationalism and propaganda shows a stunning lack of self-awareness.

Also, it wasn't just the word 'Oriental' which by itself is just an anachronism. It was the way it was said. There was something else there. Like the way he said that wasn't just "SJWs outraged" level, it was one where anti-PC people on the right would be like, "dude..."

Oriental is not on the level of a racial slur, but it definitely dates you. Same as Negro, colored, Mohammedan, darky, gypsy, redskin, eskie, mulatto or Chinaman. I mean if someone said "Animals are dying just so some Negro can get his crack", I think we would have a pretty good idea of how that person thinks of black people deep down.

Jim Rome- Bill Parcells: No Disrespect to the Orientals and "Jap" plays. This was back in 2004. 15 years ago before the rise of SJWs and people knew that was terminology from a bygone era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HczcZf0TIFY
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:41:01 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #9887 on: June 11, 2019, 11:39:39 am »
Here's my rant for the day: The ranting, happy, and rambling threads should be threads I can check every day without having to worry about seeing the apologist diatribes, posturing, and politics sh!tposting that are ruining the rest of the forums. It sure would be great if it could stay that way.

« Reply #9888 on: June 11, 2019, 12:05:26 pm »

i'm guessing as there is no point in posting this bilge twice that, due to a faulty cheapskate internet, it posted itself 16 minutes apart?

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
« Reply #9889 on: June 11, 2019, 12:23:35 pm »
Here's my rant for the day: The ranting, happy, and rambling threads should be threads I can check every day without having to worry about seeing the apologist diatribes, posturing, and politics sh!tposting that are ruining the rest of the forums. It sure would be great if it could stay that way.

Agreed. Nobody was even trying to pick a fight or call anyone out but this is what happens. Plus, last I checked, someone mentioned that DM doesn't ever post in this thread for... Reasons...?
The World Ends With You

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
« Reply #9890 on: June 13, 2019, 12:49:50 pm »
I don't know whose idea it was to have a classroom with nothing but rolling chairs but lemme tell you...

It's as bad as you can imagine it being. :cry:
The World Ends With You

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9891 on: June 13, 2019, 12:54:26 pm »
I don't know whose idea it was to have a classroom with nothing but rolling chairs but lemme tell you...

It's as bad as you can imagine it being. :cry:

I hear that brother. My travel school has a classroom with nothing but rolling chairs, and the students have to use it for my classes there. >.<

« Reply #9892 on: June 13, 2019, 01:47:10 pm »
Agreed. Nobody was even trying to pick a fight or call anyone out but this is what happens. Plus, last I checked, someone mentioned that DM doesn't ever post in this thread for... Reasons...?
Usually I don't. Most of the rants are people ranting about individuals or have some comedic tone. Kobayashi linking to a propaganda site and going on about how propagandized they were was a bit much and deserved to be called out. I think it is also useful how we sort of get indoctrinated as well and we apply that to them, often without realizing. But yeah, if you're going to rant about propaganda and various complexes and then link to propaganda, regardless of forum, that deserves a call-out.

« Reply #9893 on: June 13, 2019, 02:08:26 pm »
I'll be honest, about 90% of the taxi drivers I encounter have been decent to good. But I only take taxis about three or four times a month, so I don't have the biggest sample to go off. But the 10% bad ones that I've encountered - wow. The worst. People have already listed all the crappy things they do.

I get that they have a (ridiculously) strong lobby, somehow, and they want to fight things that may compete with their job, but like... that's not how the world works? Nobody's helping the people whose manufacturing jobs (clothing, electronics, metal stuff, etc) is getting outsourced to cheaper countries. Nobody's helping people whose jobs are being replaced by automated kiosks in restaurants. Job landscapes change. The fact that the taxi lobby expects such preferential treatment as to literally outlaw any competition blows my mind.
There's something else to consider- When you get a bad Uber, you blame the individual driver. When you get a bad taxi experience, people tend to blame all cabbies. I don't think that's really fair.

Anyways, not to get all Andrew Yang, but the tax drivers are really in a bad spot. And its not just competition from Uber, it's the looming specter of automation. For many, driving a cab might be the only thing keeping them from gathering cardboard. It also might be the only way they have any sense of purpose and general interaction. I'm not sure what requirements go to being in a cabbie, but if they have a medallion system like NYC, I can definitely see how that can be an issue.

The problem is that there really is no good solution. You could bring them to heel- Green Line 24-7, additional N-buses, bring in Uber. The problem is that could cause serious disruption. Like Yang talks about with truckers, these are people that might have nothing to lose and probably have gotten the short end of the stick, they might not react in a rational manner. I wonder how many are Vietnam vets too or crushed skulls for the police during the 1980s. I can see them totally blocking off traffic and causing serious disruptions. Who knows, if this issue lingers until self-driving delivery trucks get here, you might get the truckers joining in. 

Are some of their problems self-inflicted? Sure, but like I said, you can't collectively blame all taxi drivers for the actions of some (it IS more than a few). Can they be transitioned to Lyft or Uber? Maybe. But that's just a band-aid solution for when self-driving cars get used. I wonder how cost-effective it would be to get them on a seriously upped UBI and total re-scaling of public transport and going over to Uber? Yangism might be making its way to Korea soon.

Anyways, you can't take millions of elderly and unskilled (and now increasingly skilled and professional) workers, automate or globalize their jobs and tell them "Get some job training and move." That's not going to work. The success rates on job re-training are terrible. If you go to those people and say "Hey, this is it for the rest of your life", they're not going to take it well.

Also, AI might come for your job one day. It's important to not tempt fate with a flippant attitude (not you specifically BCS, all of us).

Anyways, this probably deserves its own thread...I get the rant about taxi service, but there's a lot more going on here and it's not so simple.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #9894 on: June 13, 2019, 02:17:14 pm »
It was too much to ask, I realize.

« Reply #9895 on: June 13, 2019, 02:33:03 pm »
Either last year, or early this year, one idiot taxi driver protested the new ride-sharing service by setting himself alight; the very pinnacle of a crybaby temper tantrum.
Uhm, there are many things I'd call self-immolation. Cry-baby temper tantrum is NOT one of them. That's a pretty awful way to go and not the kind of thing someone does spontaneously. It's been typically done by pacifists, most notably by Buddhist monks and seven Americans at various points in opposition to the Vietnam War. The Arab Spring was started because Mohamed Bouazizi self-immolated over his frustration with government corruption and economic situation.

Now, I may not agree with it and I've made my views on suicide very clear, but this isn't something that someone is doing just on a lark or childishly. They're doing this for what they think are deeply moral reasons.

All things considered, when you look at the way other people sometimes engage in political action, such as riot/bombing/guerrilla warfare/abductions/looting/lynchings/suicide bombs/etc. there's a lot worse someone can do than self-immolate.

If you think someone is self-immolating as a "cry-baby temper tantrum", then I would strongly recommend taking a deeper look at why they're are doing what they're doing. People don't just casually light themselves on fire. This is more often done when things are reaching a really drastic point and there is DEEP concern over an issue.

While there are some occasional nutjobs or fringe issues, a lot of these self-immolations deal with issues that turned into serious conflicts. Vietnam War, Tamil Independence, Tibetan Independence, Communism. 1-2 on an issue you might dismiss. If you start seeing a string of these, look out. Something deeper is going on.  This is the fourth. DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_self-immolations

« Reply #9896 on: June 13, 2019, 02:34:41 pm »
Sorry, I'm making another cab thread. But I think the issue is pretty serious enough that it deserves a response.

« Reply #9897 on: June 13, 2019, 02:40:20 pm »

I just got a message saying the internet was full.... for some reason.... can't think why?

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #9898 on: June 13, 2019, 02:41:09 pm »
And so it came to pass that on the 13th day of the halving of the year, the mighty Martinius struck thunder and doom upon our beloved thread 3.0. Thereby ushering in the glory that would  come to be known as the RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 4.0
The Tellings  of Martinius 3:1 Wayguk Book.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:45:25 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #9899 on: June 13, 2019, 02:46:08 pm »
And so it came to pass that on the 13th day of the halving of the year, the mighty martinius struck thunder and doom upon our beloved thread 3.0. Thereby ushering the glory that would be come to be known as the RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 4.0

Waygook.org user HappyPlanetAbuser, that's kind of a weird way to talk about a thread on a forum that you just joined two weeks ago.