Read 1440396 times

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9860 on: May 29, 2019, 02:01:31 pm »
2 days ago I almost fell over, the CT at my wife's Wednesday school sends her a message saying she can stay home today since the students are going on a trip. The reason I was so surprised is that my wife's CTs, particularly the one at that school, are ridiculously anal with the rules... despite the fact that they leave school early and don't pitch up for class, constantly. Her Wednesday school is a 30min drive from home, so she usually drops me off and goes to work.

I took the car today, got to work and at about 09:30, she calls me saying that the school changed their mind and want her to come in... by 10:15! After a lot of back and forth and "Let me ask the VP because I'm too pathetic to make a decision myself." My wife is told she can spend the day deskwarming, till 16:30, at her main school (about 10min walk from our apartment).
My wife has to stay because this total sonnofabitch actually phones her main school, twice, to make sure she's there.

The CT at my wife's main school is just as pedantic and phones the local MOE for absolutely every question regarding my wife. The calls are so frequent that the supervisor actually asked her to stop calling all the time.

She should have just said no. She couldn't make it to work and it was their fault.

2 days ago I almost fell over, the CT at my wife's Wednesday school sends her a message saying she can stay home today since the students are going on a trip. The reason I was so surprised is that my wife's CTs, particularly the one at that school, are ridiculously anal with the rules... despite the fact that they leave school early and don't pitch up for class, constantly. Her Wednesday school is a 30min drive from home, so she usually drops me off and goes to work.

I took the car today, got to work and at about 09:30, she calls me saying that the school changed their mind and want her to come in... by 10:15! After a lot of back and forth and "Let me ask the VP because I'm too pathetic to make a decision myself." My wife is told she can spend the day deskwarming, till 16:30, at her main school (about 10min walk from our apartment).
My wife has to stay because this total sonnofabitch actually phones her main school, twice, to make sure she's there.

The CT at my wife's main school is just as pedantic and phones the local MOE for absolutely every question regarding my wife. The calls are so frequent that the supervisor actually asked her to stop calling all the time.

She should have just said no. She couldn't make it to work and it was their fault.

That's what she initially said, to which the CT proceeded to run to the VP, who instructed her to deskwarm at the main school. CT then phones the main school's CT to tell her my wife will be deskwarming there... main schools CT phones the MOE to confirm the situation.

I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a bigger boner for bureaucracy than these 2.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9861 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:09 am »
Haven't ranted here in a while.

It's a struggle to teach at my middle school. I've had to tell my CTs multiple times not to give the answer to the question or puzzle I'm trying to show the kids. They'll literally start hinting at the answer immediately after I finish asking the question, if they don't outright tell them. It's frustrating.

If I wanted to tell them the answer outright, it'd make a lot more sense to write it on the Powerpoint than to ask them for it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:59:29 pm by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9862 on: May 30, 2019, 01:19:12 pm »

It's a struggle to teach at my middle school. I've had to tell my CTs multiple times not to give the answer to the question or puzzle I'm trying to show the kids. They'll literally start hinting at the answer immediately after I finish asking the question, if they don't outright tell them. It's frustrating.

If I wanted to tell them the answer outright, it'd make a lot more sense to write it on the Powerpoint than to ask them for it.

I have a coT that's like this, too. She's a lovely woman, but she really baby's the kids. In my coT's case, it's because she honestly doesn't believe the students will figure it out on their own, or that it will take them too long and therefore take away from their game time. In her defense, though, she's responsible for the lowest level students (my third grade students are split off into separate classes according to their levels), and a lot of their attitudes usually follow her belief -- not because they can't do it, but because, due to a lack of confidence among other things, they just don't want to put in the effort.

The funny thing is that most of these students are actually very sharp and can solve puzzles using logic more quickly than a lot of the more advanced students, and some of them have openly expressed irritation with my coT for "getting in their way" lmao. But habits die hard, so my coT still hovers in the back whispering the answers to select students who don't really care about it one way or the other.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9863 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:48 pm »

I have a coT that's like this, too. She's a lovely woman, but she really baby's the kids. In my coT's case, it's because she honestly doesn't believe the students will figure it out on their own, or that it will take them too long and therefore take away from their game time. In her defense, though, she's responsible for the lowest level students (my third grade students are split off into separate classes according to their levels), and a lot of their attitudes usually follow her belief -- not because they can't do it, but because, due to a lack of confidence among other things, they just don't want to put in the effort.

The funny thing is that most of these students are actually very sharp and can solve puzzles using logic more quickly than a lot of the more advanced students, and some of them have openly expressed irritation with my coT for "getting in their way" lmao. But habits die hard, so my coT still hovers in the back whispering the answers to select students who don't really care about it one way or the other.

Yeah, pretty much all of this. It's sad that even the teachers themselves don't wanna have confidence in the students to solve challenges placed before them but that's the way it is, unfortunately.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9864 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:48 pm »

Yeah. This is super annoying, and I've found that in a lot of cases, it's a situation where the CoT either things a) the native teacher doesn't understand the Korean students well enough, and is giving them unfairly difficult questions, or b) that the students can't handle even a tiny shred of challenge, even when it is appropriately leveled. Both of these are wrong and condescending in their own way.

But! The best thing I learned about this kind of situation is to stop caring and just let them do whatever they want as long as it doesn't make my job any harder.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9865 on: May 30, 2019, 03:48:48 pm »

Yeah. This is super annoying, and I've found that in a lot of cases, it's a situation where the CoT either things a) the native teacher doesn't understand the Korean students well enough, and is giving them unfairly difficult questions, or b) that the students can't handle even a tiny shred of challenge, even when it is appropriately leveled. Both of these are wrong and condescending in their own way.

But! The best thing I learned about this kind of situation is to stop caring and just let them do whatever they want as long as it doesn't make my job any harder.
please understand them. they are only children

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9866 on: June 03, 2019, 03:19:01 pm »
Some of my students who sit in the back of my last class today have gotten real chatty recently, a boy and a girl. So you know the solution my CT comes up with to get them to quiet down?

Let them go outside and get it out of their system.

Not only does this not work, but it causes even more of a distraction. I literally had to sit down and talk with both them and my CT after class. Students are the obvious struggle, but I really wish it didn't have to be my CTs as well :cry:

The World Ends With You

« Reply #9867 on: June 03, 2019, 03:27:54 pm »
I had a long weekend, haven't had much sleep since Friday night, probably running on a collective 10-12 hours between three nights total. I can finally catch up in my sleep tonight, and I was looking forward to heading straight home after work and crashing immediately into bed.

And I just remembered that I have to meet someone right after school.  :cry:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:32:34 pm by Chinguetti »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9868 on: June 03, 2019, 03:33:12 pm »
Some of my students who sit in the back of my last class today have gotten real chatty recently, a boy and a girl. So you know the solution my CT comes up with to get them to quiet down?

Let them go outside and get it out of their system.

Not only does this not work, but it causes even more of a distraction. I literally had to sit down and talk with both them and my CT after class. Students are the obvious struggle, but I really wish it didn't have to be my CTs as well :cry:

Please understand them, they are only children

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9869 on: June 03, 2019, 03:36:11 pm »

I will hunt you down and give you a stern finger-wagging.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9870 on: June 04, 2019, 11:54:58 am »
Out of all the kids I've taught, there's this one kid. I daresay, he's probably the worst little douchebag I've ever taught.

- 3yrs of concerted efforts and motivation from myself, my CT and the HR teacher and he's yet to bother even learning the ABCs.
- I've been told he makes no effort in any of the other classes and just sits back with a smug smile on his face.
- He constantly disturbs the other students, during class, and literally cries to his mom to phone the school and complain
  whenever he gets reprimanded.
- Has zero mental issues, according to the HR teacher. Funnily enough, there is a kid with a mental disorder in the same class
  and that kid blows this little sh*t out the water in English and, apparently, every other subject.
- He enjoys breaking things, never knocks when entering and sometimes kicks the door open, litters and just drops whatever
  he finishes using on the floor.
- He usually blames his friends whenever he gets caught and will be the first to interrupt the class and snitch on another student
  for sleeping, doodling or not paying attention.
- He's overweight, hates sports and just wants to play mobile games and eat ramen.
- Today, he was part of the cleaning crew for my classroom. 3 other kids got on with the job of sweeping, wiping down the desks
  and cleaning the board. The only time his broom touched the floor was when he laughed and knocked the dirt out of the
  dustpan of the other student. I punished him by telling him to clean the rest of the class alone. He whined, slouched,
  complained, then ran away crying. The HR teacher said he claimed I was "picking on him". Thankfully, the HR teacher is well
  aware of this little sh*t and we both forced him to clean the class... he sulked and moan throughout the ordeal and still put
  maximum effort in doing the most half-arsed job imaginable.

Little asshole reminds me of the Korean version of Dudley (Harry Potter). Luckily, I only teach his class once a week and there are enough awesome little kids in the same class that he's in the minority and doesn't have the guts to really disrupt things when he's alone.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9871 on: June 04, 2019, 12:43:19 pm »
Part of your very particular set of skills, skills you have acquired over a very long career of teaching ESL here in Korea, I take it?  :smiley:

« Reply #9872 on: June 04, 2019, 12:45:32 pm »
Out of all the kids I've taught, there's this one kid. I daresay, he's probably the worst little douchebag I've ever taught.

- 3yrs of concerted efforts and motivation from myself, my CT and the HR teacher and he's yet to bother even learning the ABCs.
- I've been told he makes no effort in any of the other classes and just sits back with a smug smile on his face.
- He constantly disturbs the other students, during class, and literally cries to his mom to phone the school and complain
- Has zero mental issues, according to the HR teacher. Funnily enough, there is a kid with a mental disorder in the same class
  and that kid blows this little sh*t out the water in English and, apparently, every other subject.
- He enjoys breaking things, never knocks when entering and sometimes kicks the door open, litters and just drops whatever
- He usually blames his friends whenever he gets caught and will be the first to interrupt the class and snitch on another student
- He's overweight, hates sports and just wants to play mobile games and eat ramen.
- Today, he was part of the cleaning crew for my classroom. 3 other kids got on with the job of sweeping, wiping down the desks
  and cleaning the board. The only time his broom touched the floor was when he laughed and knocked the dirt out of the
  dustpan of the other student. I punished him by telling him to clean the rest of the class alone. He whined, slouched,
  complained, then ran away crying. The HR teacher said he claimed I was "picking on him". Thankfully, the HR teacher is well
  aware of this little sh*t and we both forced him to clean the class... he sulked and moan throughout the ordeal and still put

Little asshole reminds me of the Korean version of Dudley (Harry Potter). Luckily, I only teach his class once a week and there are enough awesome little kids in the same class that he's in the minority and doesn't have the guts to really disrupt things when he's alone.

I've had a few students who literally sound like clones of this kid over the years (although in my case none of them have been overweight). But yeah - they're the worst.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9873 on: June 04, 2019, 01:22:32 pm »
Part of your very particular set of skills, skills you have acquired over a very long career of teaching ESL here in Korea, I take it?  :smiley:

Disciplined, a Korean Action-Thriller
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9874 on: June 04, 2019, 01:30:43 pm »

In other words, he has garbage parents.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9875 on: June 04, 2019, 01:35:09 pm »
In other words, he has garbage parents.

Yeah, the parents can only be blamed for so much, depending on the child, but THIS ONE!

Good lord, get the kid's shit together.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9876 on: June 09, 2019, 12:27:56 am »
i find it insane that korean taxi drivers have such a strong union, and keep protesting other companies being allowed to operate in korea. i know this is anecdotal, but it also sums up my experience of taxi drivers too. this happened today when my wife was in a taxi

korean taxi driver:
- refused to use the gps
- took a long route (10-15 mins longer than it should have taken)
- kept asking her inappropriate questions (she kept texting me telling me she was a bit scared of him)
- refused to turn the music down (she was with our cat, which was getting stressed out by the loud music)
- got angry when my wife kept trying to get him to drop her off, err, where she actually wanted to go)

on the way back she got a tada taxi:
- driver was very professional and friendly
- took the quickest route (took normal time, i.e. 15 mins less than wit the other taxi)
- asked if she was comfortable / was okay with the music volume (and station)
- turned off the gps notifications (the "turn left, go straight" voice)
- apologised when he went over a speed bump quickly
- cheaper than the korean taxi

my wife was amazed and said she will try her best to use tada whenever possible from now on

i mean, no shit that people want to use taxi alternatives. taxi drivers can honestly **** off

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:30:15 am by oglop »

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9877 on: June 09, 2019, 09:03:36 am »
i find it insane that korean taxi drivers have such a strong union, and keep protesting other companies being allowed to operate in korea. i know this is anecdotal, but it also sums up my experience of taxi drivers too. this happened today when my wife was in a taxi

korean taxi driver:
- refused to use the gps
- took a long route (10-15 mins longer than it should have taken)
- kept asking her inappropriate questions (she kept texting me telling me she was a bit scared of him)
- refused to turn the music down (she was with our cat, which was getting stressed out by the loud music)
- got angry when my wife kept trying to get him to drop her off, err, where she actually wanted to go)

on the way back she got a tada taxi:
- driver was very professional and friendly
- took the quickest route (took normal time, i.e. 15 mins less than wit the other taxi)
- asked if she was comfortable / was okay with the music volume (and station)
- turned off the gps notifications (the "turn left, go straight" voice)
- apologised when he went over a speed bump quickly
- cheaper than the korean taxi

my wife was amazed and said she will try her best to use tada whenever possible from now on

i mean, no shit that people want to use taxi alternatives. taxi drivers can honestly **** off

Oh yeah, my favourite bunch.

Either last year, or early this year, one idiot taxi driver protested the new ride-sharing service by setting himself alight; the very pinnacle of a crybaby temper tantrum. I watched an Asian Boss documentary where they interviewed some passengers and taxi drivers, who were protesting (in Seoul).

The passengers claimed:

- They'd sometimes have to wait for over an hour for a taxi as drivers didn't want to pick them up at night.
- Drivers complained or refused to pick them up if their destination was to close.
- Drivers drove recklessly
- Some female passengers claimed there was sexual harassment

Taxi drivers complained:

- They'd lose their jobs (as a result of not doing their jobs properly in the first place and creating a demand in the market)
- The other ride services didn't undergo the rigorous safety training the taxi drivers did (LOL, taxi drivers break every driving law there is)
- The other ride services were just young people trying to make extra booze money (..........)

Nobodies stopping taxi drivers from becoming tada drivers, they're acting exactly like 5-year olds looking for a mother to bitch to.
 You couldn't have put it more succinctly "taxi drivers can **** off."

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9878 on: June 10, 2019, 03:29:33 am »
Re Taxi drivers:

Donít ask other companies to lower the value they offer customers; up yours!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9879 on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:02 am »
Yeah... Getting these guys to accept that THEY'RE the problem is the hard part.
The World Ends With You