Read 2047317 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9840 on: May 13, 2019, 01:34:56 pm »
In my school's bathroom it's like pigs at a trough.  It sounds like they're half swallowing the toothpaste, bringing it back up to gargle with, then shoving their brushes to the backs of their throats and gagging on them.  Christ.
I've heard ajjumas do it too.

Yupyup, a lot of women do it, too, and I've nearly gagged a few times at how gross they can be in public restrooms, haha.

Not just the ahjummas, either, some of the young ladies could rival a lot of those old men.

My first trip to Seoul, I watched how one woman in her 20s projectiled rinse water from her mouth while standing at least a couple of feet away from the sink, and she never even attempted to bend over, either. Was just standing straight up while staring at herself in the mirror, spewing water out like a fountain. A lot of that water did NOT make it into the sink, too. She did it several times like it was the most normal thing. So now whenever I see really wet counters and floors in a bathroom, I can't help but think it's 90% spit.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:25:38 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #9841 on: May 27, 2019, 01:39:16 pm »
No posts here since May 13th? Wow.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9842 on: May 27, 2019, 01:53:00 pm »

Tis a Blessed Time in the Land or Mourning Clam
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #9843 on: May 27, 2019, 01:55:34 pm »

mourning clam. that's awesome. someone should make a flag

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
« Reply #9844 on: May 27, 2019, 02:16:12 pm »

I was literally thinking this a couple hours ago. Everyone must be in a good mood!
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9845 on: May 27, 2019, 03:13:23 pm »
Oh, I've got a few grumps I'd love to rant about, but they're specific enough to compromise my identity, so everyone's spared the audacity.

But I have to admit that the last couple of weeks haven't been all that bad.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9846 on: May 27, 2019, 03:50:43 pm »

mourning clam. that's awesome. someone should make a flag
Land of Morning Qualms has also always resonated with me. Make 2 flags please!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9847 on: May 29, 2019, 09:02:17 am »
we were studying about poems in one class. they had to give me some adjectives to describe korea. one student said 'small", which was good, so i wrote it on the board.

about half the class then went in uproar shouting "KOREA IS NOT SMALL! KOREA IS NOOOOOT SMALLLLL!", which was...weird. i asked them to name me a smaller country, and they couldn't, so...

it's so weird. i mean, this is a grade 5 class, and they are the upper level, so they are quite intelligent. where do they get this weird nationalistic nonsense from such a young age?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9848 on: May 29, 2019, 09:06:50 am »
about half the class then went in uproar shouting "KOREA IS NOT SMALL! KOREA IS NOOOOOT SMALLLLL!", which was...weird. i asked them to name me a smaller country, and they couldn't, so...

107th out of 190. That said, the list doesn't descend in a pattern, the bottom half are waayyyyyyyy smaller than the top 25. Especially the bottom 20, they're dependencies, like Guernsey hahahaha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_area
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:09:01 am by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Tampa, FL
« Reply #9849 on: May 29, 2019, 09:43:10 am »
it's so weird. i mean, this is a grade 5 class, and they are the upper level, so they are quite intelligent. where do they get this weird nationalistic nonsense from such a young age?

I'd say parents but then I'd be surprised that they actually taught them something... It's weird. They even get surprised when you know even a little bit of Korean or know how to use chopsticks, like it was ingrained in them at birth that Foreigners can't do those things
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:45:17 am by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9850 on: May 29, 2019, 01:26:14 pm »
2 days ago I almost fell over, the CT at my wife's Wednesday school sends her a message saying she can stay home today since the students are going on a trip. The reason I was so surprised is that my wife's CTs, particularly the one at that school, are ridiculously anal with the rules... despite the fact that they leave school early and don't pitch up for class, constantly. Her Wednesday school is a 30min drive from home, so she usually drops me off and goes to work.

I took the car today, got to work and at about 09:30, she calls me saying that the school changed their mind and want her to come in... by 10:15! After a lot of back and forth and "Let me ask the VP because I'm too pathetic to make a decision myself." My wife is told she can spend the day deskwarming, till 16:30, at her main school (about 10min walk from our apartment).
My wife has to stay because this total sonnofabitch actually phones her main school, twice, to make sure she's there.

The CT at my wife's main school is just as pedantic and phones the local MOE for absolutely every question regarding my wife. The calls are so frequent that the supervisor actually asked her to stop calling all the time.

« Reply #9851 on: May 29, 2019, 01:43:37 pm »
2 days ago I almost fell over, the CT at my wife's Wednesday school sends her a message saying she can stay home today since the students are going on a trip. The reason I was so surprised is that my wife's CTs, particularly the one at that school, are ridiculously anal with the rules... despite the fact that they leave school early and don't pitch up for class, constantly. Her Wednesday school is a 30min drive from home, so she usually drops me off and goes to work.

I took the car today, got to work and at about 09:30, she calls me saying that the school changed their mind and want her to come in... by 10:15! After a lot of back and forth and "Let me ask the VP because I'm too pathetic to make a decision myself." My wife is told she can spend the day deskwarming, till 16:30, at her main school (about 10min walk from our apartment).
My wife has to stay because this total sonnofabitch actually phones her main school, twice, to make sure she's there.

The CT at my wife's main school is just as pedantic and phones the local MOE for absolutely every question regarding my wife. The calls are so frequent that the supervisor actually asked her to stop calling all the time.

She should have just said no. She couldn't make it to work and it was their fault.

« Reply #9852 on: May 29, 2019, 02:01:31 pm »

She should have just said no. She couldn't make it to work and it was their fault.

That's what she initially said, to which the CT proceeded to run to the VP, who instructed her to deskwarm at the main school. CT then phones the main school's CT to tell her my wife will be deskwarming there... main schools CT phones the MOE to confirm the situation.

I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a bigger boner for bureaucracy than these 2.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Tampa, FL
« Reply #9853 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:09 am »
Haven't ranted here in a while.

It's a struggle to teach at my middle school. I've had to tell my CTs multiple times not to give the answer to the question or puzzle I'm trying to show the kids. They'll literally start hinting at the answer immediately after I finish asking the question, if they don't outright tell them. It's frustrating.

If I wanted to tell them the answer outright, it'd make a lot more sense to write it on the Powerpoint than to ask them for it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:59:29 pm by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9854 on: May 30, 2019, 01:19:12 pm »

It's a struggle to teach at my middle school. I've had to tell my CTs multiple times not to give the answer to the question or puzzle I'm trying to show the kids. They'll literally start hinting at the answer immediately after I finish asking the question, if they don't outright tell them. It's frustrating.

If I wanted to tell them the answer outright, it'd make a lot more sense to write it on the Powerpoint than to ask them for it.

I have a coT that's like this, too. She's a lovely woman, but she really baby's the kids. In my coT's case, it's because she honestly doesn't believe the students will figure it out on their own, or that it will take them too long and therefore take away from their game time. In her defense, though, she's responsible for the lowest level students (my third grade students are split off into separate classes according to their levels), and a lot of their attitudes usually follow her belief -- not because they can't do it, but because, due to a lack of confidence among other things, they just don't want to put in the effort.

The funny thing is that most of these students are actually very sharp and can solve puzzles using logic more quickly than a lot of the more advanced students, and some of them have openly expressed irritation with my coT for "getting in their way" lmao. But habits die hard, so my coT still hovers in the back whispering the answers to select students who don't really care about it one way or the other.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Tampa, FL
« Reply #9855 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:48 pm »

I have a coT that's like this, too. She's a lovely woman, but she really baby's the kids. In my coT's case, it's because she honestly doesn't believe the students will figure it out on their own, or that it will take them too long and therefore take away from their game time. In her defense, though, she's responsible for the lowest level students (my third grade students are split off into separate classes according to their levels), and a lot of their attitudes usually follow her belief -- not because they can't do it, but because, due to a lack of confidence among other things, they just don't want to put in the effort.

The funny thing is that most of these students are actually very sharp and can solve puzzles using logic more quickly than a lot of the more advanced students, and some of them have openly expressed irritation with my coT for "getting in their way" lmao. But habits die hard, so my coT still hovers in the back whispering the answers to select students who don't really care about it one way or the other.

Yeah, pretty much all of this. It's sad that even the teachers themselves don't wanna have confidence in the students to solve challenges placed before them but that's the way it is, unfortunately.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9856 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:48 pm »

Yeah. This is super annoying, and I've found that in a lot of cases, it's a situation where the CoT either things a) the native teacher doesn't understand the Korean students well enough, and is giving them unfairly difficult questions, or b) that the students can't handle even a tiny shred of challenge, even when it is appropriately leveled. Both of these are wrong and condescending in their own way.

But! The best thing I learned about this kind of situation is to stop caring and just let them do whatever they want as long as it doesn't make my job any harder.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9857 on: May 30, 2019, 03:48:48 pm »

Yeah. This is super annoying, and I've found that in a lot of cases, it's a situation where the CoT either things a) the native teacher doesn't understand the Korean students well enough, and is giving them unfairly difficult questions, or b) that the students can't handle even a tiny shred of challenge, even when it is appropriately leveled. Both of these are wrong and condescending in their own way.

But! The best thing I learned about this kind of situation is to stop caring and just let them do whatever they want as long as it doesn't make my job any harder.
please understand them. they are only children

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Tampa, FL
« Reply #9858 on: June 03, 2019, 03:19:01 pm »
Some of my students who sit in the back of my last class today have gotten real chatty recently, a boy and a girl. So you know the solution my CT comes up with to get them to quiet down?

Let them go outside and get it out of their system.

Not only does this not work, but it causes even more of a distraction. I literally had to sit down and talk with both them and my CT after class. Students are the obvious struggle, but I really wish it didn't have to be my CTs as well :cry:

The World Ends With You

« Reply #9859 on: June 03, 2019, 03:27:54 pm »
I had a long weekend, haven't had much sleep since Friday night, probably running on a collective 10-12 hours between three nights total. I can finally catch up in my sleep tonight, and I was looking forward to heading straight home after work and crashing immediately into bed.

And I just remembered that I have to meet someone right after school.  :cry:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:32:34 pm by Chinguetti »