Read 1401476 times

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9840 on: May 10, 2019, 04:54:19 pm »
I just don't get the incessant need to be friends with the foreign teacher. If it looks like I'm busy, sleeping or just doing literally anything else, why force a conversation? Why do you need to know everything? Does it even look/sound like I want to be a part of the conversation when we start talking???

Especially today with a substitute who's only going to be here for like two days.

I get it. Culture of having to know all the details, but some days I would just like to have my conversations limited only to my students and CT in class time. Too tired for this *sigh*

I mean I have the opposite problem in my latest school. I'm literally a ghost. NO ONE makes any effort to talk to me. If I make a conversation I get an answer but that's it. They aren't busy, they sit and INCESSANTLY chat to each other all day. They're all English teachers in my office but I get nothing. Usually on a Monday I will ask how their weekends were...one will say "Good, thanks" then turn to the other teacher and tell her all about her weekend in Korean LOL...like it was my question but sure.

I feel bad for my new main CoT he's not really aware that I have the plague and that no one includes me. One day he happily informs me that we're going to a restaurant for lunch, only to have one of the others rush out on her phone suddenly. He awkwardly tells me that she didn't make a reservation for me so quickly had to go do it.

I can think of two explanations:

Was chatting to someone who runs a small hagwon. The mother (lets call her KoKaren) of one of the students took it upon herself to form a clique with another group of mothers who sent their kids to the same hagwon and at the behest of KoKaren,  threatened to pull their kids from the hagwon if the owner didn't get rid of one of the students, whose mother KoKaren didn't like. Call me what you want, but over the years, time and time again, I've witnessed that Koreans LOVE to form cliques. There's safety in numbers and security when you have the leader of the clique telling you what to do. There's also a sense of satisfaction when actively or passively excluding others from your clique, in this case you. This is why bullying is absolutely rampant over here.

The other explanation, nobody wants to begin an English conversation which potentially leads to their English skills, or lack thereof, coming out.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9841 on: May 10, 2019, 05:20:46 pm »
A few months ago, I decided to get some treatment for a few sun spots on my face, so I went to a local dermatologist. I was sure there'd be better dermatologists in the neighbouring city, but an hour drive for every appointment isn't something I'm really really thrilled about.

The place seemed legit, plenty of other patients, and I was convinced to undergo 3 months of IPL laser treatment, of about 6 sessions, at 500 bucks.

- 6 session later, very little improvement. Dermatologist claims it's because I have different skin to Koreans, but will continue till they sort things out... for "free".
- After my 6th treatment, I'm told to come in anytime after 30days (time let my skin heal) to assess what to do next. I explain that I want an appointment, I don't want to sit in the waiting room for 40min
  for a slot. Apparently, the appointment book might as well be the menu for the restaurant down the road, completely pointless.
- 30days later, I get there after work and wait 40min.
- Dermatologist wants to see how this whitening ointment will work and I get a prescription.  Receptionist wants me to PAY for a prescription page (the actual printout not the prescription), which the
  dermatologist prescribed as part of my treatment package. Am told to, AGAIN, come in "anytime" after 30days. I tell her absolutely f*cking not, I don't have time to sit in receptions. Give me a time slot and
  I'll be there. I get a time slot for 3pm on Friday (knew I'd be able to sneak out school early).
- After sneaking out, I get there at 3, and I'm told they're too busy. I should come back next week... "anytime". I'm f*cking livid! I told them I'm coming there next Wednesday at 2pm, whether they have an
  opening or not to tell the dermatologist I'm cancelling my treatment and get my money back.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9842 on: May 11, 2019, 03:52:19 pm »
wondered why i sweating even though the aircon was on. checked the remote control...wife had turned it to 27 degrees

what's even the point of having it on if you set it to 27 degrees..? that's hotter than outside!

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
« Reply #9843 on: May 11, 2019, 10:03:52 pm »
wives...
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9844 on: May 11, 2019, 10:29:04 pm »

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
« Reply #9845 on: May 12, 2019, 02:44:07 am »
I misspoke: 

I meant to say: Korean wives and their aircon nomu chuwo :azn:
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9846 on: May 12, 2019, 01:42:31 pm »
A few months ago, I decided to get some treatment for a few sun spots on my face, so I went to a local dermatologist. I was sure there'd be better dermatologists in the neighbouring city, but an hour drive for every appointment isn't something I'm really really thrilled about.

The place seemed legit, plenty of other patients, and I was convinced to undergo 3 months of IPL laser treatment, of about 6 sessions, at 500 bucks.

- 6 session later, very little improvement. Dermatologist claims it's because I have different skin than Koreans, but will continue till they sort things out... for "free".

Be very careful because this is *absolutely true*, and be happy that the dermatologist is conscious of it.
A friend of mine went for laser hair follicle removal a few years ago. She has very dark skin: probably the blackest skin I've ever personally seen. Unfortunately, the laser people didn't take into account that dark skin absorbs heat differently than light skin, and burned the living crap out of her face. She had bright pink scars like tiger stripes all over her face for a good 8 or 9 months after the process. Worst thing was, because of the language barrier and because of some waivers she was required to sign before the treatment, they were effectively able to deny liability. I'm not sure she was compensated for it at all.  >:(

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9847 on: May 12, 2019, 05:13:01 pm »

- 6 session later, very little improvement. Dermatologist claims it's because I have different skin than Koreans, but will continue till they sort things out... for "free".

Be very careful because this is *absolutely true*, and be happy that the dermatologist is conscious of it.
A friend of mine went for laser hair follicle removal a few years ago. She has very dark skin: probably the blackest skin I've ever personally seen. Unfortunately, the laser people didn't take into account that dark skin absorbs heat differently than light skin, and burned the living crap out of her face. She had bright pink scars like tiger stripes all over her face for a good 8 or 9 months after the process. Worst thing was, because of the language barrier and because of some waivers she was required to sign before the treatment, they were effectively able to deny liability. I'm not sure she was compensated for it at all.  >:(

Thanks, I'm kind of light tan and see plenty of Koreans with skin darker than mine on a daily basis. I do believe it's absolutely legitimate that he pointed out that my skin is different to Koreans, I believe he was talking about the structure of my epidermis, not so much the complexion. I've had 6 treatments so far and the IPL did bring redness to the areas they lasered (completely normal) and the redness did go down after a week or so.

Thanks for bringing that up though. I think I'm just going to get a refund and have the treatment done back home at some point.

« Reply #9848 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »
I don't think there's a worse place to be in Korea than the men's bathroom. 

Have you heard your coworkers brush their teeth?  The noises!  When I brush my teeth it's a gentle spit after I'm done and a quiet rinse.  Practically a silent process. 

In my school's bathroom it's like pigs at a trough.  It sounds like they're half swallowing the toothpaste, bringing it back up to gargle with, then shoving their brushes to the backs of their throats and gagging on them.  Christ.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #9849 on: May 13, 2019, 12:27:08 pm »
In my school's bathroom it's like pigs at a trough.  It sounds like they're half swallowing the toothpaste, bringing it back up to gargle with, then shoving their brushes to the backs of their throats and gagging on them.  Christ.

LOL man this cracked me up, brilliant imagery.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9850 on: May 13, 2019, 01:01:49 pm »
I don't think there's a worse place to be in Korea than the men's bathroom. 

Have you heard your coworkers brush their teeth?  The noises!  When I brush my teeth it's a gentle spit after I'm done and a quiet rinse.  Practically a silent process. 

Don't remind me, brother. This is exactly why I never touch faucets in this country and prefer to carry a hand sanitizer.
The more reserved ajjushi will stick to an upwards hocking glissando, usually ranging about 2-3 octaves, before discharging the charming mixture of sputum and toothpaste in the general vicinity of the basin. Your more obnoxious breed of ajjushi will make a point of extending the range of the glissando to about 4 octaves and holding a vibrato at the highest note, for about a bar, before discharging phlegm and toothpaste all over the mirror and basin. He'll then proceed to snort water up his nostrils and spray at in the same vicinity and ending off by filling in the bald spots of his comb over.

I've heard ajjumas do it too.

According to this article, 1 in 3 Koreans have latent tuberculosis. I wouldn't be surprised.
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/02/119_264265.html

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9851 on: May 13, 2019, 01:22:28 pm »
I reaaally don't like the common Korean question of "Which do you like better? Your home or here?"

It's such a trap question. Say your home, and it's an insult. Say Korea, and you're giving them that satisfaction that they want so badly.

I often just end up telling them "I dunno..." Since I truly am on the fence.

Last time I got asked that. I said both! They said, you can only pick one. So I picked Sweden. The co-T and students laughed a lot lol.

« Reply #9852 on: May 13, 2019, 01:34:56 pm »
I've heard ajjumas do it too.

Yupyup, a lot of women do it, too, and I've nearly gagged a few times with how gross they can be in public restrooms, haha.

Not just the ahjummas, either, some of the young ladies could rival a lot of those old men.

My first trip to Seoul, I watched how one woman in her 20s projectiled rinse water from her mouth while standing at least a couple of feet away from the sink, and she never even attempted to bend over, either. Was just standing straight up while staring at herself in the mirror, spewing water out like a fountain. A lot of that water did NOT make it into the sink, too. She did it several times like it was the most normal thing. So now whenever I see really wet counters and floors in a bathroom, I can't help but think it's 90% spit.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:48:40 pm by Chinguetti »