Read 1492082 times

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9700 on: April 10, 2019, 01:42:47 pm »
Got my new card. I had to leave in the middle of a class to go to the admin office to get it, because not only did they need to see my ARC or passport, there was paperwork I had to sign in five goddamned times. Now I have the card, and I tried to go to the Hanacard site to get info in English (all the paperwork it came with is in Korean, naturally). It being a site related to Korean banking, I of course had to make sure I have four different Korean security programs installed on my computer. I only have three of the four installed already, but when I clicked on the fourth to DL/install it...

404 Error.

Brb. Seppuku.

« Reply #9701 on: April 10, 2019, 02:00:10 pm »
setting it up only takes a couple minutes if you've already got a Naver account, which I'm pretty sure anybody who's been here for more than a year or so already does.

I've been here since 2012 and I don't have one, haha.

Got my new card. I had to leave in the middle of a class to go to the admin office to get it, because not only did they need to see my ARC or passport, there was paperwork I had to sign in five goddamned times. Now I have the card, and I tried to go to the Hanacard site to get info in English (all the paperwork it came with is in Korean, naturally). It being a site related to Korean banking, I of course had to make sure I have four different Korean security programs installed on my computer. I only have three of the four installed already, but when I clicked on the fourth to DL/install it...

404 Error.

Brb. Seppuku.

What kind of card is it? Did you just sign up for a new type of credit card?

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9702 on: April 10, 2019, 02:12:47 pm »
It's just a plain ol' check card. It isn't anything new, it's just a replacement for a check card that's expiring this month. I don't have a Korean credit card, and I'm in no particular hurry to get one.

« Reply #9703 on: April 10, 2019, 02:16:31 pm »
It's just a plain ol' check card. It isn't anything new, it's just a replacement for a check card that's expiring this month. I don't have a Korean credit card, and I'm in no particular hurry to get one.

Ah - you said you were trying to get info on your card, so I figured you'd gotten something new and wanted to check out the benefits.

Also, Korean credit cards are great. I save about 30,000 won per month from my two cards, for absolutely zero effort. It's basically free money.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9704 on: April 10, 2019, 02:22:00 pm »

Ah - you said you were trying to get info on your card, so I figured you'd gotten something new and wanted to check out the benefits.

I wanted info about the daily and monthly spending limits, since the way I was reading the stuff that came with the card made it seem like the limit on this card is lower than it was on the previous card. Turns out it's actually higher, I was just reading the numbers wrong because I somehow still manage to **** up 만 vs 천 sometimes, haha.

I also needed to activate the card, which I hoped to do online because the phone number they gave doesn't have an English option, but that 404 Error screwed up that plan. Luckily my CoT is a helpful sort, so he helped me do it over the phone.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9705 on: April 11, 2019, 09:14:21 am »

Aside from IE, I've discovered 2 main obstacles when setting up accounts on Korean stores and/or checking out.

1 - The payment methods vary and aside from bank transfers, NaverPay seems to be used most. NaverPay is essentially a ripoff
     of PayPal. You have to register an account on Naver. I haven't had luck with credit cards, so I just use bank transfer.

2 - Inputting your address is a royal pain. Usually, most sites wont give you the option of simply typing out your address, even in
     Hangul. You'll have to open a popup to select your province, then your city. Then, you click on the 2nd tab and find your
     building/street, by inputting your postal code... it can be a very long list of places to scroll through. This doesn't always work
     and you'll have to use trial and error to figure out the correct combination. It took me 2-3hrs to order my Axe Fx. Use CTRL+F
     and input your building code/postal code to speed it up.

Naver Pay is actually pretty great once you get it set up, though. And like, setting it up only takes a couple minutes if you've already got a Naver account, which I'm pretty sure anybody who's been here for more than a year or so already does. It's basically exactly the same as Smile Pay. It just saves your card and all your addresses and then whenever you want to check out, all you have to do is punch in whatever your pin was, and it's like one-click shopping for any shop that accepts Naver Pay - which is almost all of them.

A good tip for putting your address into sites is a) Naver Pay saves your address so you only ever have to do it once, and b) if you're having difficulty, just punch your address into Naver search it'll spit it out in the exact, acceptable format. That way you don't have to mess with any trial and error, and you'll save a lot of time. That sounds like it would've been really frustrating to spend a couple hours messing with trying to get the address right.

I've been here 2.5 years, and don't have a naver account. :p

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #9706 on: April 11, 2019, 09:23:07 am »
I think basedcowboy knows most people don't have a naver account.  It's just his passive aggressive way of trying to be condescending.  I've been here years and don't have one, don't know a single person that has one, and have no intention of getting one.  I get along just fine.  And don't give him an in to start going off on his various credit card points and benefits.  People can just search the topic instead of listening to him try and gloat about saving 30k a month whenever he can sashay the topic over to his cc benefits scheming. 

« Reply #9707 on: April 11, 2019, 10:07:28 am »
Left my first bad review for a Kakao Taxi driver.

**** that guy.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9708 on: April 11, 2019, 10:21:39 am »

**** that guy.

What'd he do?

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #9709 on: April 11, 2019, 10:38:50 am »
I think basedcowboy knows most people don't have a naver account.  It's just his passive aggressive way of trying to be condescending.  I've been here years and don't have one, don't know a single person that has one, and have no intention of getting one.  I get along just fine.  And don't give him an in to start going off on his various credit card points and benefits.  People can just search the topic instead of listening to him try and gloat about saving 30k a month whenever he can sashay the topic over to his cc benefits scheming. 

agree 100% and have thought this about him for a long time.

he takes takes passive aggressive shots at people and tries to disguise it as advice and a majority of the time he comes off as extremely condescending.

and the whole #based garbage and trying too hard to be funny/quirky #lifehacks and #sugar #is #literally #poison stuff is just so..autistic? i'm 34 and I've been here the same amount of time as him, so i assume we're similar in age. It is beyond my DNA to act that cringy. maybe i don't understand the art of trolling or shit-posting, but cowboy is the online embodiment of why a lot of people think english teachers are weirdos or neckbeards.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

« Reply #9710 on: April 11, 2019, 10:41:07 am »

**** that guy.

What'd he do?

So after I put in the request, he calls me about a minute later, wanting to know where I want to go. It's, like, right there on the map. But okay, I think maybe he has a problem seeing small print or whatever, so I tell him the closest well-known landmark to my school. Then he asks me where I'm at, so I tell him, and he gets confused, even after I refer to a well-known landmark near my home, and he starts getting frustrated and short with me. So I start getting pissy with him, too, and tell him to use the ****** GPS he has right in front of him, and he backs down and says he'll pick me up soon, like he suddenly understands where I'm located and it isn't a problem anymore.

So he arrives in less than a minute, and this ****** starts driving as slowly as possible, but he speeds up a little when he notices me looking to see if there was anything in his way.

Then he started changing lanes into slower traffic. This was the last straw for me and I told him to stop. He refuses to do so at first, and it wasn't until I ****** raised my voice at him that he finally pulls over. Then he waited for the meter to run up another 100 won before he charged my card. Like he was literally moving slow motion while keeping his eyes on the meter, just waiting for it to roll over.

I didn't say anything but once he gave me my card back I threw a 100 won coin at him and told him I didn't need it as badly as he did, then found myself another cab.

I ended up around ten minutes late to work because of this guy.

I should have just canceled the request after I got that phone call but I was running late. Ended up just wasting even more time because the guy was an absolute dick.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:49:07 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #9711 on: April 11, 2019, 10:50:43 am »

**** that guy.

What'd he do?

So after I put in the request, he calls me about a minute later, wanting to know where I want to go. It's, like, right there on the map. But okay, I think maybe he has a problem seeing small print or whatever, so I tell him the closest well-known landmark to my school. Then he asks me where I'm at, so I tell him, and he gets confused, even after I refer to a well-known landmark near my home, and he starts getting frustrated and short with me. So I start getting pissy with him, too, and tell him to use the ****** GPS he has right in front of him, and he backs down and says he'll pick me up soon, like he suddenly understands where I'm located and it isn't a problem anymore.

So he arrives in less than a minute, and this ****** starts driving as slowly as possible, but he speeds up a little when he notices me looking to see if there was anything in his way.

Then he started changing lanes into slower traffic. This was the last straw for me and I told him to stop. He refuses to do so at first, and it wasn't until I ****** raised my voice at him that he finally pulls over. Then he waited for the meter to run up another 100 won before he charged my card. Like he literally was moving slow motion while keeping his eyes on the meter, just waiting for it to roll over.

I didn't say anything but once he gave me my card back I threw a 100 won coin at him and told him I didn't need it as badly as he did, then found myself another cab.

I ended up around ten minutes late to work because of this guy.

I should have just canceled the request after I got that phone call but I was running late. Ended up just wasting even more time because the guy was an absolute dick.

Yiiiiikes. Yeah, that's miserable. That's weird - usually cabs through Kakao Taxi are really decent. And like... it's nice because, it usually removes any confusion at all about where you're getting picked up and dropped off. Like, you have to be extra bad to screw that up. I like the bit with the 100 won coin.

Also why is it that bad taxi drivers only come along when you're like, actually in a hurry to get somewhere?

« Reply #9712 on: April 11, 2019, 10:55:43 am »
Yiiiiikes. Yeah, that's miserable. That's weird - usually cabs through Kakao Taxi are really decent. And like... it's nice because, it usually removes any confusion at all about where you're getting picked up and dropped off. Like, you have to be extra bad to screw that up. I like the bit with the 100 won coin.

Also why is it that bad taxi drivers only come along when you're like, actually in a hurry to get somewhere?

Yeah, I've been using Kakao Taxi since I first read about it. This is absolutely the first time I've had a bad driver using the app.

My theory is he's either new to the app and doesn't realize how the feedback system works, yet, or he thought he could pull a fast one on me because I'm a foreigner, despite me using the app. Possibly both.

I don't know, but it was definitely a bad time for me to have to deal with someone like that. Murphy's Law strikes again.

And yeah, I regret tossing the coin at him, but it was in the heat of the moment and I wanted to get in one good jab at him. Feel kind of bad about that, but still.

That ******.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:58:15 am by Chinguetti »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9713 on: April 11, 2019, 11:04:53 am »
So after I put in the request, he calls me about a minute later, wanting to know where I want to go. It's, like, right there on the map.

There's your problem.

:police: XX학교 가jew say yo

:afro: 어디?

:police: Hmmmmm, xx동 성당 알았어요?

:afro: Hmmmmmmm, 아니. 어디?

:police: 내비개션 있어요? (We all know they do, it's right bloody there on his phone AND the car)

:afro: 네.

:police: 그러니까......................................

:afro:

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9714 on: April 11, 2019, 11:13:13 am »
The worst Kakao taxi drivers are the ones who accept the fare and then call you to cancel it. I swear they blindly accept any fare that comes through and then only after that check what it is and when it's a short ride they go oh **** and ring you to cancel. Absolute cunts those.

A few weeks ago this thing happened to me 6 times in a row. One guy even showed as at the apartment on the Kakao app but he was no where to be seen. I assume he clicked a button that said he was here as a last resort to get out of the fare when I didn't answer his request to cancel the ride. In the hope I'd cancel cos he wasn't here. But if I cancel after 2 mins you get timed out for 10 mins.

Anyways, when you play silly games with me you win silly prizes. As I'd missed my hair appointment because of these assholes I decided that it was time for a little how do you like that pie. I set my departure the same as before but I changed my destination to the train station a good 15km away. When the fare was submitted one of the same cunts from before accepted it, called me to say he was on the way to which I responded 'ne ne ne, neeeeee.' When I saw he was almost at the apartment I went back inside my apartment. He rang me up 3 times and I didn't answer. Prick.

* @ waygook.org Your swear filter is broken but that's not my responsibility.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:16:59 am by AvecPommesFrites »
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #9715 on: April 11, 2019, 11:24:54 am »
So after I put in the request, he calls me about a minute later, wanting to know where I want to go. It's, like, right there on the map.

There's your problem.

:police: XX학교 가jew say yo

:afro: 어디?

:police: Hmmmmm, xx동 성당 알았어요?

:afro: Hmmmmmmm, 아니. 어디?

:police: 내비개션 있어요? (We all know they do, it's right bloody there on his phone AND the car)

:afro: 네.

:police: 그러니까......................................

:afro:

Yeah, a lot of the time they play ignorant so that they can justify taking the wrong or worst routes. Like they're testing you to see how passive or gullible you are.

I don't know what this guy's problem is, but he's definitely a ****** idiot who thinks everyone but himself is an idiot. When you use the Kakao Taxi app, the GPS opens right up after accepting the fare.

@ avec: Yeah, before today the worst I'd experienced using Kakao Taxi were drivers who'd accept the fare, then decide that they don't want the fare, but instead of asking me to cancel they'll leave the request open and never confirm in the app that they've picked up the fare because they're trying to get around the report system. It was a lot more common in the beginning, but I don't experience it as often because  it's still possible to report that kind of thing.

Dipshits.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:41:17 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #9716 on: April 11, 2019, 11:35:53 am »
I also forgot about how some drivers will accept the fare, then call you up and ask you to wait, like, ten to fifteen minutes for them.

Naw, man, wtf you tryna do? Has that ever worked?

« Reply #9717 on: April 11, 2019, 12:15:06 pm »
On the Kakaotaxi stuff...crucial detail; how good is your Korean?   Remember even if you think your pronunciation is good, to a local it probably sounds like the equivalent "Me go ghkdiuhgbg station, yes?"  The sad reality of trying to speak Korean  :sad:

« Reply #9718 on: April 11, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »

agree 100% and have thought this about him for a long time.

he takes takes passive aggressive shots at people and tries to disguise it as advice and a majority of the time he comes off as extremely condescending.

and the whole #based garbage and trying too hard to be funny/quirky #lifehacks and #sugar #is #literally #poison stuff is just so..autistic? i'm 34 and I've been here the same amount of time as him, so i assume we're similar in age. It is beyond my DNA to act that cringy. maybe i don't understand the art of trolling or shit-posting, but cowboy is the online embodiment of why a lot of people think english teachers are weirdos or neckbeards.

I actually stopped checking Waygook for about six months because of him and Pecan.

« Reply #9719 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:13 pm »
On the Kakaotaxi stuff...crucial detail; how good is your Korean?   Remember even if you think your pronunciation is good, to a local it probably sounds like the equivalent "Me go ghkdiuhgbg station, yes?"  The sad reality of trying to speak Korean  :sad:

My Korean is so-so, but my pronunciation is on point, at least for all of the major things.

The driver even repeated what I told him, so there was no misunderstanding there. He was just being a dick and pretending the address and landmark I gave him didn't exist, but ignoring that and everything else the driver tried to do after the fact, he still has the Kakao app and GPS telling him exactly where he needs to go.

I'm still really irritated about it, and I'm about to have one of my worst classes, lol.