Read 1492053 times

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9680 on: April 09, 2019, 09:08:23 pm »
My KEB/Hana check card is about to expire, so I'm waiting on a new one. Annoyingly, they will only deliver it if I'm there to receive and sign for it myself. That means I obviously can't have it sent to my apartment, since I'm at work most of the day. I gave them my school address, but twice now the delivery guy has come when I was teaching a class, and rather than coming to let me know he's here or sending him to my classroom, the front office has just sent him away each time. He'll try one more time tomorrow, and if I'm not available to sign it when it comes, I'll have to find time to go to the post office later in the week to pick it up myself. Nothing can ever be simple.

Related question for non-Americans: How do banks do it in your countries? Back home, whenever my card was set to expire, they'd just send me a new one in the mail. I didn't have to sign for it, it was just in a discreet envelope, and once I received it I had to go online to activate it. Is the US the odd man out in that regard? Is it common for banks to require signature on delivery for new cards elsewhere?

you have the worst luck in the world man, KEB just sent mine in the post, picked it up from my mailbox.

granted this was like 6 years ago when they were just KEB, so things might have changed.

I always used to go in the bank and just ask them for a new one whenever mine was about to expire and they'll issue you one on the spot. i'd just combine it with doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9681 on: April 09, 2019, 10:30:25 pm »
My KEB/Hana check card is about to expire, so I'm waiting on a new one. Annoyingly, they will only deliver it if I'm there to receive and sign for it myself. That means I obviously can't have it sent to my apartment, since I'm at work most of the day. I gave them my school address, but twice now the delivery guy has come when I was teaching a class, and rather than coming to let me know he's here or sending him to my classroom, the front office has just sent him away each time. He'll try one more time tomorrow, and if I'm not available to sign it when it comes, I'll have to find time to go to the post office later in the week to pick it up myself. Nothing can ever be simple.

Related question for non-Americans: How do banks do it in your countries? Back home, whenever my card was set to expire, they'd just send me a new one in the mail. I didn't have to sign for it, it was just in a discreet envelope, and once I received it I had to go online to activate it. Is the US the odd man out in that regard? Is it common for banks to require signature on delivery for new cards elsewhere?

you have the worst luck in the world man, KEB just sent mine in the post, picked it up from my mailbox.

granted this was like 6 years ago when they were just KEB, so things might have changed.

I always used to go in the bank and just ask them for a new one whenever mine was about to expire and they'll issue you one on the spot. i'd just combine it with doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

Yeah. Debit cards Iíve replaced over the counter. Credit cards have come by courier; either my wife or I have signed for. I know that I have signed for one with her name on it, and she for me at least once.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #9682 on: April 10, 2019, 07:32:27 am »

That's honestly what I was going to do in the first place. When I hadn't received a new card yet, I called them to see whether they were going to send one or I had to go get it in person. They told me they had already tried to send it, but apparently the address information they had was incorrect, so it was returned to sender. That's when they told me they'll send it again, to my work address this time, and I'll need to sign for it.

I'm going to go ahead and assume there will be another problem delivering it today, and I'll have to find a way to take some time off of work to go pick it up at the post office. It would almost feel foolhardy to assume something won't go wrong, the way this year has been going, haha.

« Reply #9683 on: April 10, 2019, 07:35:58 am »

That's honestly what I was going to do in the first place. When I hadn't received a new card yet, I called them to see whether they were going to send one or I had to go get it in person. They told me they had already tried to send it, but apparently the address information they had was incorrect, so it was returned to sender. That's when they told me they'll send it again, to my work address this time, and I'll need to sign for it.

I'm going to go ahead and assume there will be another problem delivering it today, and I'll have to find a way to take some time off of work to go pick it up at the post office. It would almost feel foolhardy to assume something won't go wrong, the way this year has been going, haha.

if they try and deliver again today, give admin your alien card, tell them that a delivery is coming.  they do for all other teachers, so they can for you.  i did this last week.  Hana/KEB told me they just need to see my alien card, not matter who does it.  easy. 

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9684 on: April 10, 2019, 07:45:23 am »
I thought only Gmarket had this issue, but it seems a problem with every Korean online market/shop I've dealt with.

I tried ordering some music equipment off Coupang, paid the cash and was told it would ship within 2 days. 4 days later, no activity. I send a message, no reply. After 8 days, I get told it's out of stock! Pissed that I wasted 8 days for a reply to tell me it's out of stock, I decide to try Buzzbee.co.kr, a dedicated music instrument marketplace. They have a pretty awesome selection and each product has a detailed video review. I endured exactly the same ordeal with them, order, wait, no reply, week later get a message saying it's out of stock.

WTF would you list items which are out of stock!? Urgh, guess I've got no choice but to drag my ass all the way to Seoul to buy my bass.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9685 on: April 10, 2019, 07:47:49 am »
WTF would you list items which are out of stock!? Urgh, guess I've got no choice but to drag my ass all the way to Seoul to buy my bass.

Wow, you are all about that bass, bout that bass, yes trouble.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9686 on: April 10, 2019, 07:48:57 am »
I thought only Gmarket had this issue, but it seems a problem with every Korean online market/shop I've dealt with.

I tried ordering some music equipment off Coupang, paid the cash and was told it would ship within 2 days. 4 days later, no activity. I send a message, no reply. After 8 days, I get told it's out of stock! Pissed that I wasted 8 days for a reply to tell me it's out of stock, I decide to try Buzzbee.co.kr, a dedicated music instrument marketplace. They have a pretty awesome selection and each product has a detailed video review. I endured exactly the same ordeal with them, order, wait, no reply, week later get a message saying it's out of stock.

Try Freebud, Schoolmusic, or Musicforce. I've bought from them, and they're usually pretty good about marking items as out of stock. Musicforce is especially good about it (they usually don't even display an item on the site if they don't have it in stock), but they also cater mostly to boutique stuff, so unless you're after a high-end bass, the other options might be better, haha.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9687 on: April 10, 2019, 07:50:00 am »

They donít keep stock. Inventory is expensive. They just (try to) order it when you ask for it.
At least AliExpress is up front about it. They have a 10 day count-down to ship, visible to the buyer.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9688 on: April 10, 2019, 07:56:05 am »
Yeah. Debit cards Iíve replaced over the counter. Credit cards have come by courier

Same -- I always just go to the bank in person to get a new debit card issued whenever my old one is within a month of expiring. My Korean credit card always comes in the mail (although I do have to go to the bank in person to request a new one be reissued whenever it's about to expire, as they won't automatically reissue/send one to me, unfortunately); I have it sent to my workplace address and the person who works at the front desk signs for it and then gives it to me.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9689 on: April 10, 2019, 08:06:03 am »

Try Freebud, Schoolmusic, or Musicforce. I've bought from them, and they're usually pretty good about marking items as out of stock. Musicforce is especially good about it (they usually don't even display an item on the site if they don't have it in stock), but they also cater mostly to boutique stuff, so unless you're after a high-end bass, the other options might be better, haha.

Yeah, I'm guitarist not a bassist, and I'm not looking for a Fodera or a Stuart Zender signature, just looking for something decent for studio recording so I'm going for the Yamaha TRBX304.  I'll check the the other 2, thanks.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9690 on: April 10, 2019, 08:43:25 am »

Yeah, I'm guitarist not a bassist, and I'm not looking for a Fodera or a Stuart Zender signature, just looking for something decent for studio recording so I'm going for the Yamaha TRBX304.  I'll check the the other 2, thanks.

Out of stock on Freebud, but...

http://www.schoolmusic.co.kr/Shop/index.php3?var=Good&Good_no=38920&version=pc

If it's out of stock, they haven't marked it as such yet.

EDIT: Just realized that's the 5, not the 4. I'd get the 5 instead anyway if I were to only have one bass, especially for recording purposes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:43:49 am by Mister Tim »

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #9691 on: April 10, 2019, 10:41:08 am »

EDIT: Just realized that's the 5, not the 4. I'd get the 5 instead anyway if I were to only have one bass, especially for recording purposes.

How did you go navigating through the Korean website in Korean and also adding a credit card and address info to your account? I managed to create an account on school music but as yet have not managed to go much further with Credit cards and other info. My wife usually handles all the internet shopping for me but i don't always want to ask her to do everything for me. I am looking for drumsticks and other drum products. I have found the things i want but have not proceeded to the point of putting up credit card info and addresses. Seems a bit difficult for the first time. I haven't done it before.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9692 on: April 10, 2019, 10:49:18 am »

How did you go navigating through the Korean website in Korean and also adding a credit card and address info to your account? I managed to create an account on school music but as yet have not managed to go much further with Credit cards and other info. My wife usually handles all the internet shopping for me but i don't always want to ask her to do everything for me. I am looking for drumsticks and other drum products. I have found the things i want but have not proceeded to the point of putting up credit card info and addresses. Seems a bit difficult for the first time. I haven't done it before.

Often you need to verify with a certificate or a phone app.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9693 on: April 10, 2019, 11:35:21 am »

I didn't, haha. You don't need an account for freebud, and you might not need one for schoolmusic, either. The site tries to steer you towards creating one, but there's generally an option to go to checkout without an account.

That aside, I've gotten a coteacher to help me each time I've bought something online. I can navigate the sections of the site easily enough, but I haven't actually gone through the checkout process on my own.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:51:07 am by Mister Tim »

« Reply #9694 on: April 10, 2019, 11:46:29 am »
Also, I'm not sure about Freebud, but Schoolmusic uses Naver Pay, so you don't have to mess with any extra apps or anything, and Naver Pay takes about 2 minutes to set up, so you shouldn't have any difficulty.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9695 on: April 10, 2019, 12:04:21 pm »
"There's a picnic for teachers next week! Wanna go?"

A picnic? Sounds better than the usual 회식... I'm in!

*Fast forward to today*

"Today is the picnic. We are going mountain hiking!"

:huh: :huh:
The World Ends With You

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9696 on: April 10, 2019, 12:16:57 pm »

I didn't, haha. You don't need an account for freebud, and you might not need one for schoolmusic, either. The site tries to steer you towards buying one, but there's generally an option to go to checkout without an account.

That aside, I've gotten a coteacher to help me each time I've bought something online. I can navigate the sections of the site easily enough, but I haven't actually gone through the checkout process on my own.

It's always been annoying, though I rarely buy music gear on online domestic stores. My last domestic purchase was my AXE FX 3, there was absolutely no way of getting that shipped internationally, Fractal Audio wouldn't even ship it to a forwarding address in the states. I wasn't prepared to spend that type of money without a warranty either, so I got it here.

Aside from IE, I've discovered 2 main obstacles when setting up accounts on Korean stores and/or checking out.

1 - The payment methods vary and aside from bank transfers, NaverPay seems to be used most. NaverPay is essentially a ripoff
     of PayPal. You have to register an account on Naver. I haven't had luck with credit cards, so I just use bank transfer.

2 - Inputting your address is a royal pain. Usually, most sites wont give you the option of simply typing out your address, even in
     Hangul. You'll have to open a popup to select your province, then your city. Then, you click on the 2nd tab and find your
     building/street, by inputting your postal code... it can be a very long list of places to scroll through. This doesn't always work
     and you'll have to use trial and error to figure out the correct combination. It took me 2-3hrs to order my Axe Fx. Use CTRL+F
     and input your building code/postal code to speed it up.

UPDATE
I got a message from buzzbee.co.kr saying they'll be getting new stock tomorrow.

@Mr Tim
I considered the 5-string, but settled on the 4. I don't think I'll need the extended range of a 5 for the music I play. A 4 string  demands more maneuvering across the neck, which is what I want, as I'm trying to keep guitar habits out of bass technique. If I need another octave, I've got the Digitech Drop pedal, I highly recommend this pedal for people like me who DETEST constantly de-tuning guitars.

« Reply #9697 on: April 10, 2019, 01:12:20 pm »

Aside from IE, I've discovered 2 main obstacles when setting up accounts on Korean stores and/or checking out.

1 - The payment methods vary and aside from bank transfers, NaverPay seems to be used most. NaverPay is essentially a ripoff
     of PayPal. You have to register an account on Naver. I haven't had luck with credit cards, so I just use bank transfer.

2 - Inputting your address is a royal pain. Usually, most sites wont give you the option of simply typing out your address, even in
     Hangul. You'll have to open a popup to select your province, then your city. Then, you click on the 2nd tab and find your
     building/street, by inputting your postal code... it can be a very long list of places to scroll through. This doesn't always work
     and you'll have to use trial and error to figure out the correct combination. It took me 2-3hrs to order my Axe Fx. Use CTRL+F
     and input your building code/postal code to speed it up.

Naver Pay is actually pretty great once you get it set up, though. And like, setting it up only takes a couple minutes if you've already got a Naver account, which I'm pretty sure anybody who's been here for more than a year or so already does. It's basically exactly the same as Smile Pay. It just saves your card and all your addresses and then whenever you want to check out, all you have to do is punch in whatever your pin was, and it's like one-click shopping for any shop that accepts Naver Pay - which is almost all of them.

A good tip for putting your address into sites is a) Naver Pay saves your address so you only ever have to do it once, and b) if you're having difficulty, just punch your address into Naver search it'll spit it out in the exact, acceptable format. That way you don't have to mess with any trial and error, and you'll save a lot of time. That sounds like it would've been really frustrating to spend a couple hours messing with trying to get the address right.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9698 on: April 10, 2019, 01:21:56 pm »

@Mr Tim
I considered the 5-string, but settled on the 4. I don't think I'll need the extended range of a 5 for the music I play. A 4 string  demands more maneuvering across the neck, which is what I want, as I'm trying to keep guitar habits out of bass technique. If I need another octave, I've got the Digitech Drop pedal, I highly recommend this pedal for people like me who DETEST constantly de-tuning guitars.

It's my distaste for constant de-and-re-tuning that leads me to suggest a fiver as a general use bass. I wouldn't want to use a drop tuning pedal if I wanted to play a song in Eb or drop D when I could just play those notes on the B string of a fiver. Don't get me wrong, I have a couple fours (and a sixer, haha), but when it came time to spec out the bespoke all-rounder utility bass I ordered, I went with five. Even if I very rarely have need of the lower notes, it's nice to have them if I ever do. I only gig the fours if I'm playing a setlist that I know won't need anything lower than E. Heck, even then it can be nice to have the lower notes, to add some flavor to fills.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9699 on: April 10, 2019, 01:29:03 pm »
setting it up only takes a couple minutes if you've already got a Naver account, which I'm pretty sure anybody who's been here for more than a year or so already does.

I've been here since 2012 and I don't have one, haha.