Read 1488670 times

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9640 on: April 05, 2019, 08:20:54 am »
Best of British - watch people watch TV  8) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM6TATOWfsc
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #9641 on: April 05, 2019, 08:22:24 am »
BBC iplayer have blocked my VPN and all the other ones so I can't watch This Country- The Aftermath.

Searched the internet far and wide for a torrent but the only one available is corrupted/awful quality.

Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #9642 on: April 05, 2019, 08:35:29 am »
i've been in the uk for the past month. during that time i enjoyed watching a variety of interesting programmes on tv.

since being back, i must have watched people eating instant noodles on tv about 4 times, and i've only been back 2 days. what is with this? it's the same shit over and over again. if it's not eating noodles its cleaning the house or even worse - watching people watch people cleaning the house.

nothing interesting is happening. it's 9pm - prime time - and this is tv at its best? i've clearly forgotten how incredibly inane korean tv is. i just cannot get my head around why this would be entertaining to.......anyone

homes under the hammer?    8)

What's that one where they get couples with huge amounts of money to spend to look at three massively overpriced houses then reject them all because the wine cellar doesn't have quite the right dimensions or only three of the five bedrooms have en suite facilities?

'Wanted Down Under' or 'Escape to the Country'?  Both similar I suppose.

Ah, the programme where midlife crisis dads tear their wives and children away from their friends, loved ones, safe and secure lives and drag them across to the other side of the world because "they've always wanted to do it".  I loved watching it haha  ;D

the same  :laugh:

they have a New Zealand and Aussie one.  ohhhh!  do you want to continue living in a terraced house in Newcastle or this lovely beach house on the Gold Coast?  difficult one. 

« Reply #9643 on: April 05, 2019, 08:37:04 am »
BBC iplayer have blocked my VPN and all the other ones so I can't watch This Country- The Aftermath.

Searched the internet far and wide for a torrent but the only one available is corrupted/awful quality.

It's on my desktop right now lol.  I found it on Piratebay and the quality is good but it won't open in Windows Media Player so I just used GOM.

I just put it on Google Drive so I can share it with you if you want  8)

« Reply #9644 on: April 05, 2019, 08:38:27 am »

It's on my desktop right now lol.  I found it on Piratebay and the quality is good but it won't open in Windows Media Player so I just used GOM.

What an absolute legend
Who is here in 2019?

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9645 on: April 05, 2019, 08:39:20 am »
I like 'Come Dine with me', when one of the guests has some sort of mental illness. And the narrator takes the piss out of everyone.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #9646 on: April 05, 2019, 08:44:42 am »

What an absolute legend

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pVVs588bBxYlKB36EgVZJIHI0zKfJWP3

Enjoy!!

« Reply #9647 on: April 05, 2019, 08:50:36 am »
i've been in the uk for the past month. during that time i enjoyed watching a variety of interesting programmes on tv.

since being back, i must have watched people eating instant noodles on tv about 4 times, and i've only been back 2 days. what is with this? it's the same shit over and over again. if it's not eating noodles its cleaning the house or even worse - watching people watch people cleaning the house.

nothing interesting is happening. it's 9pm - prime time - and this is tv at its best? i've clearly forgotten how incredibly inane korean tv is. i just cannot get my head around why this would be entertaining to.......anyone

I will hear nothing against 'Homes Under the Hammer'.

« Reply #9648 on: April 05, 2019, 08:59:14 am »

I will hear nothing against 'Homes Under the Hammer'.

for some strange reason, i love it.  it's my guaranteed morning watching when I go back home to visit.  it's a shame as now it's mostly 'people adding to their vast portfolio' or on behalf of 'investors', rather than people taking a punt at the auction.  but still....

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9649 on: April 05, 2019, 09:07:14 am »
I like 'Come Dine with me', when one of the guests has some sort of mental illness. And the narrator takes the piss out of everyone.

Dave Lamb absolutely makes that show.

"Dinner Date" is along the same lines and it's brilliant.

« Reply #9650 on: April 05, 2019, 09:10:53 am »

Yes, it's going the same way as Big Brother.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9651 on: April 05, 2019, 09:50:37 am »
I have 6 damn classes today and recovering from a nasty flu. It's critical that I have my break between lessons to recover and prepare. Between the 2nd and 3rd periods sit a 20min break, which I desperately need.

Just as 2nd period ends, I'm cleaning the board and preparing for some quiet time, in barges 25 4th grade students, their HR teacher saw it fit to send them to wait in the damn English class as if it's a bloody playground.

In the typical spineless fashion I've come to expect here, my CT is trying to placate and downplay the whole thing, but I'm seriously going to give this selfish **** of a HR teacher a piece of my mind during lunch.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9652 on: April 05, 2019, 09:58:14 am »
I have 6 damn classes today and recovering from a nasty flu. It's critical that I have my break between lessons to recover and prepare. Between the 2nd and 3rd periods sit a 20min break, which I desperately need.

Just as 2nd period ends, I'm cleaning the board and preparing for some quiet time, in barges 25 4th grade students, their HR teacher saw it fit to send them to wait in the damn English class as if it's a bloody playground.

In the typical spineless fashion I've come to expect here, my CT is trying to placate and downplay the whole thing, but I'm seriously going to give this selfish **** of a HR teacher a piece of my mind during lunch.
Can't you just say "No, I'm sorry, go play outside." and shoo them away?

Also, sorry to here about your flu. being sick sucks.
 It's definitely flu season now: half my students look like sad ninjas.

« Reply #9653 on: April 05, 2019, 11:17:51 am »

This is the reason why I installed a lock on my classroom door (on the inside).

When I can't be arsed, which is surprisingly quite frequently. As soon as the previous class all leave I turn off the lights, lock the door and hide in the corner of the room behind my book fort for a nice slice of pommesfrites downtime.

Those 10 minutes breaks are imperative.

Who is here in 2019?

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #9654 on: April 05, 2019, 11:20:58 am »

All so true...

« Reply #9655 on: April 05, 2019, 01:59:52 pm »
The new textbooks were published in 2018 and they have 11 authors, including an American who apparently edited the English. And yet there are still clunky, awkward, and just f*ing incorrect sentences littered throughout. Also, the 'Listen and Repeat' function for songs and chants does not sync up with the rhythm. It's hard to overstate how jarring that is.

I'm editing this into a rant list.

- Was offered 2 side-gigs for my city. Accepted both on the condition they run sequentially. Signed up officially. They run concurrently.
- Was misquoted time and pay for both programs.
- Had to do a lot of extra work for both programs due to general disorganization and mismanagement.
- New colleague is incompetent. Cannot-use-a-computer level. Cannot speak English. Cannot manage a class.
- Found out new colleague took the position from another colleague who is competent. Incompetent colleague is apparently unfireable because she's a teacher and uncriticizable because she's old. Wants to be a homeroom teacher but was denied for fear of parental complaints and inability to do the corresponding paperwork. Now she's my problem.
- Lost several afternoons worth of planning time due to meetings with and about new incompetent co-teacher.
- Had to break my 'don't take work home' rule.
- Korean progress is slow. Regretting not taking a year as a student to buckle down and earn the points F-visa.
- Can't marry into F-visa because "Ew, 2 guys. Sick."

On the plus side my main colleague is cool but that's not really in the spirit of this thread.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9656 on: April 05, 2019, 02:03:58 pm »
On the plus side my main colleague is cool but that's not really in the spirit of this thread.

Get that shit out of here, you raving, happy Robin!

Seriously though, that all sounds maddening. Keep yo head up, bro.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9657 on: April 05, 2019, 03:12:52 pm »
The new textbooks were published in 2018 and they have 11 authors, including an American who apparently edited the English. And yet there are still clunky, awkward, and just f*ing incorrect sentences littered throughout. Also, the 'Listen and Repeat' function for songs and chants does not sync up with the rhythm. It's hard to overstate how jarring that is.

I just started a job at a fancy private elementary school in Seoul. We use Oxford Discover books and it's such a relief to actually teach real English with real materials for once

« Reply #9658 on: April 05, 2019, 03:38:31 pm »

Get that shit out of here, you raving, happy Robin!

Seriously though, that all sounds maddening. Keep yo head up, bro.

Cheers!

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #9659 on: April 05, 2019, 05:53:32 pm »
I imagine he'd just say I was fortunate in the past that I had schools/principals who were nice enough to not make me take a vacation day for it. It isn't that the rules have changed, it's that they've been applied inconsistently.

I worry that if I press the issue, I'll just end up causing trouble for other NETs. If I make a fuss, sure, I might end up not having to take a vacation day. OR, I might end up prompting the POE to crack down and force all schools in the province to require their NETs to take a vacation day for it.

Remember, it used to be up to the school's discretion whether or not NETs had to come in to deskwarm during winter and summer breaks. The teachers who had to deskwarm complained about it to their POEs, and rather then allowing those teachers to stay home, they told all the schools that NETs have to deskwarm. It'd be cool to not have to waste a vacation day on this, but it would be a fair bit less cool to screw every other NET in my province out of a vacation day.  :laugh:

holy hell man, you seriously need to learn how to stand up for yourself. i can't believe you're just going to roll over on this.

"but i don't wanna cause problems for other NETs!"

what problems are you going to cause? everyone will be forced to use a vacation day to renew their ARC/visa? they won't. why? because it's a BUSINESS RELATED MATTER.

as someone else said, they can't let you work illegally. the reason why it's probably now written into the Gangwon contract that those trips must be registered on NEIS as business trips is because the POE was probably getting so many emails every year from NETs complaining that they were being forced to use vacation days for work-related matters.