Read 1549463 times

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9620 on: March 28, 2019, 09:56:39 am »
Just register it as a business trip. He will deny it. Apply again. Refuse to go to Immigration until he approves it. What are they going to do? Let you work illegally?

As I said before, I've already gone to immigration. I'd rather lose a vacation day than have to deal with whatever nonsense would be involved with trying to renew an expired visa/ARC.

I'd would try your contact at the education office again just to argue that fact, that you shouldn't have to lose a vacation day to a work thing.

His response was "That's how it's always been," so I'm not sure trying him again would have much of a point. Most likely I have to just chalk this up as a lesson learned about how things are done here, and add it to the list of reasons I hate...  everything.  :blank:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9621 on: March 28, 2019, 10:09:51 am »
Just register it as a business trip. He will deny it. Apply again. Refuse to go to Immigration until he approves it. What are they going to do? Let you work illegally?

As I said before, I've already gone to immigration. I'd rather lose a vacation day than have to deal with whatever nonsense would be involved with trying to renew an expired visa/ARC.

I'd would try your contact at the education office again just to argue that fact, that you shouldn't have to lose a vacation day to a work thing.

His response was "That's how it's always been," so I'm not sure trying him again would have much of a point. Most likely I have to just chalk this up as a lesson learned about how things are done here, and add it to the list of reasons I hate...  everything.  :blank:

I mean, you mentioned you never had to in the past, I'd would start with that, contact him and ask him why it has changed. :o Maybe if you make a big enough fuss about it, they'll change their tune. It just sucks to lose a vacation day over a work thing :\
I've only ever known people do treat them as business trips but, I don't know if there is, or isn't a law or something that states that. D:

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9622 on: March 28, 2019, 10:17:02 am »
I mean, you mentioned you never had to in the past, I'd would start with that, contact him and ask him why it has changed. :o Maybe if you make a big enough fuss about it, they'll change their tune. It just sucks to lose a vacation day over a work thing :\
I've only ever known people do treat them as business trips but, I don't know if there is, or isn't a law or something that states that. D:

I imagine he'd just say I was fortunate in the past that I had schools/principals who were nice enough to not make me take a vacation day for it. It isn't that the rules have changed, it's that they've been applied inconsistently.

I worry that if I press the issue, I'll just end up causing trouble for other NETs. If I make a fuss, sure, I might end up not having to take a vacation day. OR, I might end up prompting the POE to crack down and force all schools in the province to require their NETs to take a vacation day for it.

Remember, it used to be up to the school's discretion whether or not NETs had to come in to deskwarm during winter and summer breaks. The teachers who had to deskwarm complained about it to their POEs, and rather then allowing those teachers to stay home, they told all the schools that NETs have to deskwarm. It'd be cool to not have to waste a vacation day on this, but it would be a fair bit less cool to screw every other NET in my province out of a vacation day.  :laugh:

« Reply #9623 on: March 28, 2019, 10:41:15 am »

What did you log your previous trips to immigration as? Just log into NEIS and check.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9624 on: March 28, 2019, 11:00:59 am »

I imagine he'd just say I was fortunate in the past that I had schools/principals who were nice enough to not make me take a vacation day for it. It isn't that the rules have changed, it's that they've been applied inconsistently.

I worry that if I press the issue, I'll just end up causing trouble for other NETs. If I make a fuss, sure, I might end up not having to take a vacation day. OR, I might end up prompting the POE to crack down and force all schools in the province to require their NETs to take a vacation day for it.

Remember, it used to be up to the school's discretion whether or not NETs had to come in to deskwarm during winter and summer breaks. The teachers who had to deskwarm complained about it to their POEs, and rather then allowing those teachers to stay home, they told all the schools that NETs have to deskwarm. It'd be cool to not have to waste a vacation day on this, but it would be a fair bit less cool to screw every other NET in my province out of a vacation day.  :laugh:

I forgot pushing it could be a double edged sword in that regards haha >.<

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9625 on: March 28, 2019, 11:36:28 am »

What did you log your previous trips to immigration as? Just log into NEIS and check.

What difference would that make? Even if I were to show them that it was logged as a business trip in the past, that would only really demonstrate that I was lucky in the past and had schools/principals who were generous. It wouldn't obligate them to change their mind about it now, if there's no rule saying immigration trips have to be logged as business trips.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9626 on: March 28, 2019, 12:47:04 pm »
People having enough time during the work day to "catch up on a thread" before posting. Especially when said thread is over a hundred pages long. >:( >:( >:(

(I'm joking! We all love you, a_mandu328!)

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9627 on: March 28, 2019, 12:48:59 pm »
People having enough time during the work day to "catch up on a thread" before posting. Especially when said thread is over a hundred pages long. >:( >:( >:(

Holy shit, you weren't kidding. Jesus. Mr. Mandu Cando Attitude
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9628 on: March 28, 2019, 12:51:18 pm »

TBH, I'd probably have enough time in the day to read it through twice, if I really wanted to. :p
(I work in a tiny rural school, and there isn't a lot to do most of the day haha).

• a_mandu328
  • Waygookin

• February 27, 2019, 10:37:23 am
    • Gangneung, Gangwondo
« Reply #9629 on: April 01, 2019, 08:24:03 am »

;D ;D ;D It's honestly the funniest thing to me because my coteachers, while very nice, are all last minute planners (2 of them are new and one is about to leave for the military). So I'm doing a different lesson for a different grade (who are all in different points in the lesson) everyday. It's almost impossible for me to plan ahead (at least with specifics). I find tons of activities (since I am 'activities teacher', oh well *shrugs*) for each lesson and wait to find out which ones they want when the time comes. But when I've done that, what else can I do with my 3 hours after class? I read threads!

Anyway, this wasn't a rant. I'll make sure to be more aggressive next time.  :evil:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9630 on: April 04, 2019, 08:12:48 pm »
i've been in the uk for the past month. during that time i enjoyed watching a variety of interesting programmes on tv.

since being back, i must have watched people eating instant noodles on tv about 4 times, and i've only been back 2 days. what is with this? it's the same shit over and over again. if it's not eating noodles its cleaning the house or even worse - watching people watch people cleaning the house.

nothing interesting is happening. it's 9pm - prime time - and this is tv at its best? i've clearly forgotten how incredibly inane korean tv is. i just cannot get my head around why this would be entertaining to.......anyone

« Reply #9631 on: April 04, 2019, 09:36:16 pm »
i've been in the uk for the past month. during that time i enjoyed watching a variety of interesting programmes on tv.

since being back, i must have watched people eating instant noodles on tv about 4 times, and i've only been back 2 days. what is with this? it's the same shit over and over again. if it's not eating noodles its cleaning the house or even worse - watching people watch people cleaning the house.

nothing interesting is happening. it's 9pm - prime time - and this is tv at its best? i've clearly forgotten how incredibly inane korean tv is. i just cannot get my head around why this would be entertaining to.......anyone

Just remember that this is not because TV from one country is better than TV from another country. That notion is beyond the realms of possibility. It's simply because you don't speak Korean well enough or understand the culture.  I will further prove this point to you by bringing to your attention the existence of several banal prime time UK TV shows like Love Island, I'm a Celebrity and and Great British Bake Off.

(Just filling in for Martin till tomorrow)  :wink:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:45:02 pm by eggieguffer »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #9632 on: April 04, 2019, 09:42:10 pm »

Just remember that this is not because TV from one country is better than TV from another country. That notion is beyond the realms of possibility. It's simply because you don't speak Korean well enough or understand the culture.

That culture being really sh!tty TV programming.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9633 on: April 05, 2019, 07:03:05 am »

I get my fill of Korean TV when I visit certain restaurants. It guarantees that I'll never use the TV in my home for anything other than movies or games.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9634 on: April 05, 2019, 07:06:50 am »

homes under the hammer?    8)

« Reply #9635 on: April 05, 2019, 07:15:19 am »

I get my fill of Korean TV when I visit certain restaurants. It guarantees that I'll never use the TV in my home for anything other than movies or games.

Yeah, our big TV in the living room's been bust now for about 6 months and neither of us have made any noises about replacing it.

« Reply #9636 on: April 05, 2019, 07:45:01 am »

What's that one where they get couples with huge amounts of money to spend to look at three massively overpriced houses then reject them all because the wine cellar doesn't have quite the right dimensions or only three of the five bedrooms have en suite facilities?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9637 on: April 05, 2019, 07:51:32 am »

Here is one B list celeb with three C listers out in the countryside, cleaning up their room, picking some corn and riding an ATV.......... for 45 mins.

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9638 on: April 05, 2019, 08:09:32 am »

What's that one where they get couples with huge amounts of money to spend to look at three massively overpriced houses then reject them all because the wine cellar doesn't have quite the right dimensions or only three of the five bedrooms have en suite facilities?

'Wanted Down Under' or 'Escape to the Country'?  Both similar I suppose. 

« Reply #9639 on: April 05, 2019, 08:20:03 am »

'Wanted Down Under' or 'Escape to the Country'?  Both similar I suppose.

Ah, the programme where midlife crisis dads tear their wives and children away from their friends, loved ones, safe and secure lives and drag them across to the other side of the world because "they've always wanted to do it".  I loved watching it haha  ;D