Read 1397575 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9540 on: March 14, 2019, 12:14:53 pm »
a guy I saw in January cycling down the pavement no-handed, messaging on his phone, comes close.  thing was, his handlebar caught a lamp post and he flew off his bike.  i couldn't help but laugh.  no sympathy.

Were there any animals taped to the lamp post?

yep, it was my practice lamp post.  i started at the top alphabetically with an armadillo, but I gave up when the yak squashed the zebra. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9541 on: March 14, 2019, 12:43:11 pm »
I'm trying to do some C++ but I can't find the ****** backslash on this ****** Korean keyboard.  >:( :-[

On most its the ₩ key.
Yep, thanks!
     I did (eventually) manage to find it after some online research, as it's definitely not actually printed on the keyboard I use at school. To get it to work on my keyboard setup, I had to hold down the 한자 key next to the spacebar and then hit "₩".
   Of course, I only found this after  I went to all the effort of going into character maps, finding it in the unicode list, and hotkeying it to "Alt+`".  :rolleyes:

Anyway, so now, if I face-roll my keyboard, it'll probably just output "\\\\\\\\\\\\"  :smiley:

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9542 on: March 15, 2019, 03:02:20 pm »
My new CT is 5 for 5 in asking me if I'm familiar with the food at lunch.

Wondering how many times I'm gonna have to say "Yes" before he gets the picture :blank:
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9543 on: March 15, 2019, 03:12:54 pm »

Wondering how many times I'm gonna have to say "Yes" before he gets the picture :blank:

Ajeossi on Subway: How long you been here?

Me: 5 years.

Ajeossi: Do you know ddeokbokki?

Me: FFS  :lipsrsealed:
The joys of fauxtherhood

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
« Reply #9544 on: March 15, 2019, 04:08:16 pm »
me: Do you know Gouda cheese?
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

« Reply #9545 on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:16 pm »

Really? he didn't ask if you speak Korean first?

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9546 on: March 15, 2019, 06:13:24 pm »

South Korea, I have a damn surname you know!
Did my medical check today, only my first name is on all the forms and all the hospital staff call me by my first name.
Parent teacher conference today, as well, the principal lines up all the teacher in front of about 50 parents.
All of them are introduced by name and surname, but me... Oh no! Just the first name.
Feels great to by introduced in the same fashion as one introduces a house maid from the 50s.

It's really getting annoying that no Korean computer system is able to recognise Roman letters, so as far as Korea is concerned, I'm pretty much like the rest of the Korean population was 150yrs ago, no surname.

« Reply #9547 on: March 15, 2019, 06:19:46 pm »
I'm trying to do some C++ but I can't find the ****** backslash on this ****** Korean keyboard.  >:( :-[

On most its the ₩ key.
Yep, thanks!
     I did (eventually) manage to find it after some online research, as it's definitely not actually printed on the keyboard I use at school. To get it to work on my keyboard setup, I had to hold down the 한자 key next to the spacebar and then hit "₩".
   Of course, I only found this after  I went to all the effort of going into character maps, finding it in the unicode list, and hotkeying it to "Alt+`".  :rolleyes:

Anyway, so now, if I face-roll my keyboard, it'll probably just output "\\\\\\\\\\\\"  :smiley:

Yea and it actually looks like a ₩ symbol on Korean Windows when in fact itís a back slash \. It was an insanely dumb decision imo as the ₩ symbol is a different character all together. So if a Korean Windows sent a message to a non-Korean OS or iOS/Linux(Android)/Mac, ₩10,000 would look like \10,000.

Side note: How experienced are you with coding? Also what resource are you using?
Iíve been meaning to pick up C++ as well since I work with Arduino so much these days. Letís do some coding challenges :D

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9548 on: March 16, 2019, 10:07:34 am »
Side note: How experienced are you with coding? Also what resource are you using?
Iíve been meaning to pick up C++ as well since I work with Arduino so much these days. Letís do some coding challenges :D

I'm boss at Basic and HTML.  :laugh:
But am still very much a beginner with C languages:
I'm messing around at the moment with Codecademy, and have only just recently graduated from
int main()
{
   std::cout << "Hello World! 
\n";
}

and am currently trying to absorb the very very very very big list of input/output variables.

My friend has introduced me to MonkeyX where they're building a 4x/rpg with some ridiculously complicated tech/magic/crafting/skill trees. They want me to catch up by the end of the semester so that I can contribute. I guess I'm gonna be spending an hour or so everyday torrenting and reading C++/C# course books *sigh*.

Ask me again in a few months, and maybe I can take you up on that challenge!

Any suggestions where I can get some decent, free (preferably legally free) resources?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:09:34 am by kyndo »

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
« Reply #9549 on: March 17, 2019, 04:01:28 am »
http://academictorrents.com/browse.php?cat=7

or

send me ur email and ill invite you to 0-day AR i checked on ''programming'' and saw 200 torrents hits, SKILLSHARE C++/ UDEMY CPLUSPLUS etc but they're 3 GB courses so cant up that here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:20:47 am by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9550 on: March 17, 2019, 06:57:14 am »

Really? he didn't ask if you speak Korean first?

Trust me that conversation came looong before our first lunch together :laugh:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9551 on: March 18, 2019, 08:51:44 am »
Woke up super late this morning, pretty sure I turned my alarm off in my sleep because I went to bed really late and set the phone too close to my bed.

Had no time for breakfast, had to brush my teeth at school, and I forgot my allergy meds today. I feel like shit.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9552 on: March 18, 2019, 12:00:59 pm »
The VP decided it was alright for him to lock the bathroom door while he brushed his teeth...

Nevermind anyone else who might need to go in... Especially when it's the only bathroom with toiler paper
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9553 on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:42 pm »
The VP decided it was alright for him to lock the bathroom door while he brushed his teeth...

Nevermind anyone else who might need to go in... Especially when it's the only bathroom with toiler paper

go and brush your teeth while sat at his desk, wait for him to come back, but don't move, leave him waiting for a couple of minutes, see what he does.

« Reply #9554 on: March 18, 2019, 02:23:05 pm »
I'd like to take this opportunity to reiterate how much I hate 회식 (hweishik). Two staff dinners during graduation week, another one this past Thursday, and yet another scheduled for next week.

I can't wait to work for myself oneday (possibly gongbubang) so I can be rid of this awful tradition.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9555 on: March 18, 2019, 02:43:51 pm »
I'd like to take this opportunity to reiterate how much I hate 회식 (hweishik). Two staff dinners during graduation week, another one this past Thursday, and yet another scheduled for next week.

I can't wait to work for myself oneday (possibly gongbubang) so I can be rid of this awful tradition.

I don't mind mine at my current school. The only thing I hate is sitting on the floor, cause my legs get super sore after a small time, and they get uncomfortable when I need to stand and stretch my legs until they feel better haha

« Reply #9556 on: March 18, 2019, 04:49:18 pm »

I don't mind mine at my current school. The only thing I hate is sitting on the floor, cause my legs get super sore after a small time, and they get uncomfortable when I need to stand and stretch my legs until they feel better haha

My school always, always have their 회식's at the same two restaurants.

Both of those restaurants have done away with the floor seating this year and replaced them with chairs. It was a happy surprise for me. The tables that go with floor seating are normally too low for me to sit comfortably for long periods of time.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9557 on: March 18, 2019, 09:34:20 pm »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #9558 on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:33 am »

My school always, always have their 회식's at the same two restaurants.

Your school gets TWO restaurants???  :cry:
The World Ends With You

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9559 on: March 19, 2019, 08:22:55 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7415TiytI

Whenever I get to school, I find the aircon set to 30 f*cking degrees, at this time of the year. The 4th floor afterschool area at my Monday school is a very large open plan multipurpose area, about 150m2 (maybe larger). This teacher is the only one in the room, using the computer and has the aircon blasting at 30. My CT on Wednesdays and Thursdays leaves the aircon going while she opens all the windows during lunchtime. 

My dry cleaner puts my clothes on these rubbish little plastic wire hangers, they use some card for the shoulder area. He's quite popular in the area and must go through at least 1000 of these hangers a day. Yesterday, I tried returning the hangers from the previous time I collected my clothes. They were neatly bundled and completely new. He refused to take them back, I didn't want any money or discounts, I just thought it a terrible waste throw away all those plastic hangers every time.

My apartment overlooks a small field, it's just a vacant lot owned by the university who apparently keeps it as a nature reserve. There're a few trees and bushes and a few birds nest there. It's been pretty much clean, that is until a few days ago, somebody decided to dump some styrofoam in the middle of the ONLY piece of open greenery in a 10km radius.

Now, the government, in all it's wisdom, believes installing air purifiers everywhere is going to solve the problem. Yeah, let's just jack up the already ludicrous energy demand on the coal plants.

I've finally got my exit plan in place. This selfish mentality of mindless waste isn't going to change anytime soon, people will still be choking away and bitching that it's all China's fault in 30yrs time.