Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9500 on: March 06, 2019, 07:38:54 am »
Classes are divided by grade and skill level

Oh my god, that would be amazing.

« Reply #9501 on: March 06, 2019, 07:44:32 am »

On paper, it sounds like it would be great. But in reality, because people are bad, a lot of the times the low skill classes are paired with a low skill teacher who just does the bare minimum because nobody's expecting anything of that class. Which is really sad.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #9502 on: March 06, 2019, 07:54:47 am »

On paper, it sounds like it would be great. But in reality, because people are bad, a lot of the times the low skill classes are paired with a low skill teacher who just does the bare minimum because nobody's expecting anything of that class. Which is really sad.

I'm going on the assumption that if my school were to divide classes based on level, I'd still be the one teaching all of them. I'm not out there winning awards or anything, but I like to think I'm a competent teacher. I'd love to be able to teach classes where everyone was at or near the same skill level.

« Reply #9503 on: March 06, 2019, 08:54:40 am »

I'm going on the assumption that if my school were to divide classes based on level, I'd still be the one teaching all of them. I'm not out there winning awards or anything, but I like to think I'm a competent teacher. I'd love to be able to teach classes where everyone was at or near the same skill level.

We did this for a year at my school and I really enjoyed it.  Because the classes were split they were smaller so I could help the students much more efficiently.  It was a lot easier to give the higher levels more challenging material and go much slower with the lower levels.  It's a shame we only did it for a year.

But to touch on #basedcowboyshirt's point, yeah that definitely happened at my school.  When they weren't seeing me, the lower level classes were taught by another contract teacher who usually just let them sleep, watch Youtube or clean the classroom.  Quite sad.  Her contract got renewed as well haha.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9504 on: March 06, 2019, 09:05:19 am »

We did this for a year at my school and I really enjoyed it.  Because the classes were split they were smaller so I could help the students much more efficiently.  It was a lot easier to give the higher levels more challenging material and go much slower with the lower levels.  It's a shame we only did it for a year.

But to touch on #basedcowboyshirt's point, yeah that definitely happened at my school.  When they weren't seeing me, the lower level classes were taught by another contract teacher who usually just let them sleep, watch Youtube or clean the classroom.  Quite sad.  Her contract got renewed as well haha.

I did this for a year and agree with both the negative and positive points above.

Positive- The classes were much smaller and I could tailor my classes to their needs much better. It meant the high level classes were actually challenged and the low level students weren't just hiding and having the whole lesson go over their heads without anyone noticing.

Negative- They were definitely given the "worst" teacher and worst classroom. She wasn't actually a bad teacher but she was the youngest and a contract teacher. The room we were given didn't have a whiteboard like all the others (which blew my mind since they needed the extra materials more) just a tv screen you could barely see. When you put kids in a low level class...they start to believe it, meaning they didn't try hard or make any effort..their attitude was "I'm bad at English anyway" since that's basically what they've been told. You also lose the high level students who support the lower levels in team activities.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9505 on: March 06, 2019, 09:25:19 am »

With regards to everything said above, it's been my only experience teaching thus far, so I can't really compare it to anything. But I've always had the same co-teachers regardless of skill level. I will say though, the classes that are "mid" level are usually the most troublesome, as they're good enough to understand, but not motivated enough to advance any further. Low level students are usually all pretty relaxed, while high level students have the most motivation.
The World Ends With You

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9506 on: March 06, 2019, 10:02:33 am »
This is my 8th year teaching here -at nine different schools so far- and I've never taught a class that was divided by level. I've taught plenty of classes that weren't even divided by grade, let alone level. I can barely even imagine what it'd be like, haha.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9507 on: March 06, 2019, 10:59:06 am »
This is my 8th year teaching here -at nine different schools so far- and I've never taught a class that was divided by level. I've taught plenty of classes that weren't even divided by grade, let alone level. I can barely even imagine what it'd be like, haha.

If it wasn't divided by grade, how was it divided?
Am genuinely curious. :o

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9508 on: March 06, 2019, 11:30:58 am »

If it wasn't divided by grade, how was it divided?
Am genuinely curious. :o

It wasn't, haha.

Well, it sort of was, I suppose. They were afternoon classes with all the 1st-3rd graders in one class, and all the 4th-6th graders in another. It was... interesting.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9509 on: March 06, 2019, 11:42:37 am »
They were afternoon classes with all the 1st-3rd graders in one class, and all the 4th-6th graders in another. It was... interesting.

That's like the opposite of what I do lol How does that even cover all your work hours? Do you have like 5 schools or something?
The World Ends With You

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9510 on: March 06, 2019, 11:46:21 am »
They were afternoon classes with all the 1st-3rd graders in one class, and all the 4th-6th graders in another. It was... interesting.

That's like the opposite of what I do lol How does that even cover all your work hours? Do you have like 5 schools or something?

With after school classes, they are usually only 1 - 2 times a week (based on my experience).

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #9511 on: March 06, 2019, 11:47:41 am »

Not all of my classes were like that, haha. I suppose I wasn't being very clear.  :laugh:

I still had the normal textbook classes that were divided by grade. I just had those afternoon classes in addition to my textbook classes to cover my required hours, since the schools didn't have enough classes to fill 22 hours with only textbook stuff. The textbook classes weren't divided by level, of course. I'm still legitimately surprised to hear that that's a thing that happens for anyone teaching here in Korea, haha.

« Reply #9512 on: March 07, 2019, 08:06:39 am »
Can always PM me about it if you want to vent.
I don't have anything to do, and am happy to listen :D

Me too. Please spill the drama!

Aw, thanks, you guys.

It's fine, there's a lot of info, and a friend ended up calling me and I had myself a good, long, rage-induced exorcism. I honestly don't have the energy to get into it again, lol.

But to give you all a taste, the drama involved a certain previously mentioned person I complained about before and a few other unnamed persons. They basically tried to bully me into making my personal, private life their business.

Of course none of it flew, but the fact that they think this way AND tried to act on it AND honestly thought that I would stay quiet about all of it (really, wtf?), means that I'm dealing with some mentally unstable muthufuckus.

They know how to toe the line, though, and I think they'll keep their heads low for a bit, but I'm in for a fun year.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:23:20 am by Chinguetti »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9513 on: March 07, 2019, 08:40:31 am »
Can always PM me about it if you want to vent.
I don't have anything to do, and am happy to listen :D

Me too. Please spill the drama!

Aw, thanks, you guys.

It's fine, there's a lot of info, and a friend ended up calling me and I had myself a good, long, rage-induced exorcism. I honestly don't have the energy to get into it again, lol.

But to give you all a taste, the drama involved a certain previously mentioned person I complained about before and a few other unnamed persons. They basically tried to bully me into making my personal, private life their business.

Of course none of it flew, but the fact that they think this way AND tried to act on it AND honestly thought that I would stay quiet about all of it (really, wtf?), means that I'm dealing with some mentally unstable muthufuckus.

They know how to toe the line, though, and I think they'll keep their heads low for a bit, but I'm in for a fun year.

You're welcome! :D
This week, cause of no classes, and the new textbooks having not arrived yet (1 actually arrived when I started to type this) I haven't had anything to do so far this week lol.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9514 on: March 07, 2019, 08:50:32 am »
get the new textbook about 7 minutes before my class, and was expected to make a full PPT for the class in that time. D:

« Reply #9515 on: March 07, 2019, 11:35:17 am »
Scheduling is particularly chaotic this year and involves me leaving classes early and running between floors to start other classes outside of the official scheduling. This is all because one member of the cafeteria staff left and the kitchen team requested a single lunch period so they could cope. Cue chaos. Apparently the cafeteria is so busy at lunchtime we're now cutting 20 minutes off 4th period (all lessons are officially 40 minutes) so some grades can arrive at the cafeteria earlier. Main colleague and I agreed that this is obviously unworkable and have moved all classes from this condensed pre-lunch period to later in the day. However, other grades cannot be moved and should go to lunch 15 minutes early so we've resorted to eliminating breaktime between 3rd and 4th period from some grades at some times under certain conditions.

I've been here long enough to know this won't last but it's frustrating nonetheless.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9516 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:43 pm »
Hawayuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

NO.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9517 on: March 07, 2019, 12:51:48 pm »
Scheduling is particularly chaotic this year and involves me leaving classes early and running between floors to start other classes outside of the official scheduling. This is all because one member of the cafeteria staff left and the kitchen team requested a single lunch period so they could cope. Cue chaos. Apparently the cafeteria is so busy at lunchtime we're now cutting 20 minutes off 4th period (all lessons are officially 40 minutes) so some grades can arrive at the cafeteria earlier. Main colleague and I agreed that this is obviously unworkable and have moved all classes from this condensed pre-lunch period to later in the day. However, other grades cannot be moved and should go to lunch 15 minutes early so we've resorted to eliminating breaktime between 3rd and 4th period from some grades at some times under certain conditions.

I've been here long enough to know this won't last but it's frustrating nonetheless.

Isn't it amazing?

Everyone comes to school in the middle of the damn holiday for 2 weeks, specifically to plan for the year. 2 weeks to plan everything! Then you have endless meetings and paperwork all to have everything go balls up on the 4th of March and have everyone running around like headless chickens.

I too got the new textbook 5min before class, but is we all know, the "new" textbooks are simply the old ones with the lessons re-arranged and "May I speak to Seho?" becoming "May I speak to Jino?". Just use your old lessons, they're exactly the same.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9518 on: March 07, 2019, 01:01:59 pm »

Isn't it amazing?

Everyone comes to school in the middle of the damn holiday for 2 weeks, specifically to plan for the year. 2 weeks to plan everything! Then you have endless meetings and paperwork all to have everything go balls up on the 4th of March and have everyone running around like headless chickens.

I too got the new textbook 5min before class, but is we all know, the "new" textbooks are simply the old ones with the lessons re-arranged and "May I speak to Seho?" becoming "May I speak to Jino?". Just use your old lessons, they're exactly the same.

The new textbook is from a different company, and has completely different content than our old ones.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9519 on: March 07, 2019, 01:42:14 pm »
I'm also in the last minute new textbook boat.

I teach that class today and I came in and was told there's a new textbook...but no copy for me sadly.

I told my co teacher I need to plan...for today... and she reluctantly let me borrow hers (I had to solemnly swear I would give it right back).

Mine is also an entirely different company...but the stuff inside is generally the same in these things, usually in a different order or slight variation.

I've got enough ppts from over the years to mash something together.

I did laugh at her surprise when I said I'd be needing a copy though haha. I don't know what she expected me to do.