Read 1545598 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9480 on: March 04, 2019, 02:00:19 pm »
Just curious, is there an English version of the coupang website?
I tried to view it just now after reading your post, but it seems like it's only in Korean. :'(

There isn't one, unfortunately. However, I found a way around this.

Use google chrome (not the app) when searching for things, I will use the translate feature and so far it has worked well. I signed up to coupang, put in my address and all the information I need. Then downloaded the app and logged in through here (it would be easy to put the card information on the app, less hassle and it saves everything). I use the google to search for anything I need and add it to my account's basket. Then I will go to the app to pay since on the website you always to go through the dumb payment systems and add card details a gazillion times. I cannot be asked but it defo works with translate to English.

Ahh, that's what I done too.
I don't need to buy anything, I just had never used coupang before, so decided to have a look, as I have nothing to do today haha.

I'll probably stick to gmarket, since I have it all set up, and it has an English version :p

Yikes. Don't do that. The English version of Gmarket is garbage. Never, ever use the English version.

I only use the English version, and I haven't had any problems :o
For camps, I use it to show the school things I want for camp, but the office lady uses the korean version, and calls the company to get it sent quickly :p

Huh? I don't get the thing about calling the company to get it shipped quickly. Things usually arrive in one, or max two days. Can't get much quicker than that.

Also, it might've changed, but you can't even use Smile Pay on the English version. You have to pay by bank transfer, usually. Which is ridiculous.

But yeah - things you're giving up by using the English version:
- the majority of the sales
- a lot of special promotion coupons
- ability to search for really specific stuff
- access to a large portion of the sellers

Plus, it's really hard to find specific brand names of stuff, since it prioritizes things that translate directly to English. And also it prioritizes things that are available for international shipping. So if you're in Korea, it's prioritizing something that's totally useless to you. There's literally like, no benefit to using English Gmarket.

Not everyone's Korean skills are up to the level of navigating a Korean website so I'd say using the English version of the site in that situation is hugely beneficial.

• megitymeg
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2017, 07:46:07 am
    • Gwangju
« Reply #9481 on: March 04, 2019, 02:09:13 pm »
So like many people in my MOE, I now have a 3rd school, where I teach once a week on Mondays.

After several hours trying to track down my co teacher, I learn I wont have one and i'm teaching in the homeroom.

Confused, I speak to the 6th grade (Korean) English teacher that still has the students the other 2 days a week when I'm at my other schools.

Turns out they want me starting from lesson 5 in the textbook and teaching every period from the lessons on my own and they do a completely different lesson on the other 2 days with the Korean teacher.

I just needed to vent because this seems so impractical to me! There is no chance the students are going to remember what I teach first thing on a Monday when they spend the rest of the week learning completely different expressions!

Happy Monday y'all!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9482 on: March 04, 2019, 02:18:40 pm »
So like many people in my MOE, I now have a 3rd school, where I teach once a week on Mondays.

After several hours trying to track down my co teacher, I learn I wont have one and i'm teaching in the homeroom.

Confused, I speak to the 6th grade (Korean) English teacher that still has the students the other 2 days a week when I'm at my other schools.

Turns out they want me starting from lesson 5 in the textbook and teaching every period from the lessons on my own and they do a completely different lesson on the other 2 days with the Korean teacher.

I just needed to vent because this seems so impractical to me! There is no chance the students are going to remember what I teach first thing on a Monday when they spend the rest of the week learning completely different expressions!

Happy Monday y'all!

Both of my elementary schools have me doing this, and I feel that it works out pretty well.
As I teach completely different chapters, I never have to worry about coordinating lessons with "coteachers" who I never actually see. I know what I'm teaching for the entire year right from the beginning and can plan out my lessons well ahead of time.
  Also, most schools only offer English classes to students three times a week, so while you might have less face-time with your kids than whoever is teaching them English for the other 2 classes, the difference isn't too substantial. Maybe it's because I make all my lessons so fantastically memorable, but the kids don't seem particularly forgetful of the material i teach.  :smiley:

I get that it's frustrating, but I think you'll get used to it pretty quickly, and will end up appreciating the autonomy it gives you!

« Reply #9483 on: March 04, 2019, 02:19:10 pm »
I tried to view it just now after reading your post, but it seems like it's only in Korean. :'(

Use google chrome (not the app) when searching for things, I will use the translate feature and so far it has worked well. I signed up to coupang, put in my address and all the information I need. Then downloaded the app and logged in through here (it would be easy to put the card information on the app, less hassle and it saves everything). I use the google to search for anything I need and add it to my account's basket. Then I will go to the app to pay since on the website you always to go through the dumb payment systems and add card details a gazillion times. I cannot be asked but it defo works with translate to English.

I don't need to buy anything, I just had never used coupang before, so decided to have a look, as I have nothing to do today haha.

I'll probably stick to gmarket, since I have it all set up, and it has an English version :p

Yikes. Don't do that. The English version of Gmarket is garbage. Never, ever use the English version.

For camps, I use it to show the school things I want for camp, but the office lady uses the korean version, and calls the company to get it sent quickly :p

Huh? I don't get the thing about calling the company to get it shipped quickly. Things usually arrive in one, or max two days. Can't get much quicker than that.

Also, it might've changed, but you can't even use Smile Pay on the English version. You have to pay by bank transfer, usually. Which is ridiculous.

Plus, it's really hard to find specific brand names of stuff, since it prioritizes things that translate directly to English. And also it prioritizes things that are available for international shipping. So if you're in Korea, it's prioritizing something that's totally useless to you. There's literally like, no benefit to using English Gmarket.

Not everyone's Korean skills are up to the level of navigating a Korean website so I'd say using the English version of the site in that situation is hugely beneficial.

But you don't need to be able to speak Korean or anything - the layout is almost identical, and if you have any issues, you can just use Google Translate - or even Chrome auto-translate, and then you're still getting basically the same iffy translation as the English Gmarket, but all the benefits of using the full Korean site.

« Reply #9484 on: March 04, 2019, 02:22:15 pm »

Happy Monday y'all!

That is DUMBBBBBBBBB.

First, the lessons in the book are arranged so that voca from the previous lessons is incorporated into the later lessons. This reinforces stuff they've already learnt. If you're forced to teach later lessons, they're a) going to be unnecessarily difficult and confusing for the students, since they'll contain voca that they don't know, which the book is assuming they've already learned, and b) there are limits to how much students are able to absorb. If they're trying to memorize and learn two different lessons at the same time, they're going to end up learning nothing.

I'm super annoyed on your behalf. Good luck!

« Reply #9485 on: March 04, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »
I go back and forth between the English and Korean gmarkets. If I can't find it on the English version, I search in the Korean version. If the prices are ridiculous on the English version, I price compare on the Korean version. I've found enough gaps and discrepancies between the two versions to warrant checking them both.

I like being able to navigate without a translator, but it's true, you don't have as many options on the English version, and there are more sellers on the English version who price gouge.

I usually opt for coupang first before using gmarket, though, because, for me, coupang has been more reliable. I use gmarket for things that I can't find on coupang or that are really overpriced on coupang but are more fairly priced on gmarket.

« Reply #9486 on: March 04, 2019, 02:33:00 pm »
I go back and forth between the English and Korean gmarkets. If I can't find it on the English version, I search in the Korean version. If the prices are ridiculous on the English version, I price compare on the Korean version. I've found enough gaps and discrepancies between the two versions to warrant checking them both.

I like being able to navigate without a translator, but it's true, you don't have as many options on the English version, and there are more sellers on the English version who price gouge.

I usually opt for coupang first before using gmarket, though, because, for me, coupang has been more reliable. I use gmarket for things that I can't find on coupang or that are really overpriced on coupang but are more fairly priced on gmarket.

Yeah. Overall, I feel like Coupang is definitely more expensive than Gmarket or Auction. They do have a lot of good perks, but you definitely end up paying for them over the long run. I only use Coupang for the odd rare thing of hot sauce or like, some random foreign item that I can't get anywhere else. But now that Gmarket and Auction pretty much killed the SmileClub benefits, I'm seriously considering shifting to Coupang for most things, just on principle.

Also, if you've used the English Gmarket for any length of time, you can use the Korean one. They're laid out the same, and everything works basically the same. So it's not really that unintuitive.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9487 on: March 04, 2019, 02:34:29 pm »

Payment: I used my (local) credit card with the English version last week. You need to verify it with a phone app or some other authentication.

« Reply #9488 on: March 04, 2019, 02:38:58 pm »
On the English site? But using your CC is such a pain in the butt compared to Smile Pay. I can literally pay for something in under 10 seconds after clicking Purchase. Cards require you to use the verification app, etc.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9489 on: March 04, 2019, 03:20:13 pm »
On the English site? But using your CC is such a pain in the butt compared to Smile Pay. I can literally pay for something in under 10 seconds after clicking Purchase. Cards require you to use the verification app, etc.

Yes, on the English version.

Open the app on my phone, scan the barcode, type the PIN.

I do often do my searching on the Korean site, for the reasons you mentioned.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9490 on: March 04, 2019, 03:32:34 pm »

You can use smile pay on the English one. You can pay by bank transfer, cred card, smile pay, and 1 other which I forget. :p
I get a lot of coupons, but they are rarely ever for things I buy.
However, I rarely buy things. Video games are the bulk of my frivolous purchases, and thanks to steam / PS store, I rarely need physical copies, except for the big titles with a great collectors edition :p

As for calling the company, I think it's mostly to make sure things will get here without delay, and to make sure there is no problem shipping here, as we are waaaaaaaay down south in the middle of nowhere. :p
I've had some sellers refuse to ship here before.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9491 on: March 04, 2019, 03:34:47 pm »

Also this, my Korean is pretty low. I can read Hangeul okay, but I wouldn't understand anything.
And I don't really want to bug my co-T, or boss, everytime I want to buy something on G-market.
Using the English version means, less bugging my co-workers to help me.

However, I usually ask if I'm struggling to find something on the English site. (which has only been once or twice)

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9492 on: March 04, 2019, 03:40:16 pm »

But you don't need to be able to speak Korean or anything - the layout is almost identical, and if you have any issues, you can just use Google Translate - or even Chrome auto-translate, and then you're still getting basically the same iffy translation as the English Gmarket, but all the benefits of using the full Korean site.

Maybe I'll give the Kor version a try next time I order something on Gmarket. :D
I didn't think of that haha.

« Reply #9493 on: March 05, 2019, 11:58:00 am »
I want to rant about something SOOOOOoOooOOoooOOOOoooOO bad.

But I can't get into details because then I could be identified by a KT.

But I am absolutely SEEEEeeeeEeeeeEEEeethInG, and I am about to broil over.

I try not to vent about things over text, but I don't have a choice. This can't wait for girls' night out.

GaWd tHiS yEaR iS GoInG tO sUCk

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #9494 on: March 05, 2019, 12:17:29 pm »

I try not to vent about things over text, but I don't have a choice. This can't wait for girls' night out.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9495 on: March 05, 2019, 12:30:20 pm »

Can always PM me about it if you want to vent.
I don't have anything to do, and am happy to listen :D

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9496 on: March 05, 2019, 01:20:57 pm »

Can always PM me about it if you want to vent.
I don't have anything to do, and am happy to listen :D

Me too. Please spill the drama!
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9497 on: March 05, 2019, 03:24:01 pm »
I was really expecting more from a rant thread. I could have given some epic rants about the academy I used to work at.  Like has anyone been forced to take vacation days on the weekend when you never work on the weekend. Or being asked to design a debate course three months after you have started teaching for the first time. Or randomly being given super beginner classes/phonics classes suddenly because your boss is just tired of hiring new teachers after teachers keep quitting because he treats them like garbage. I got up to thirty hours a week of teaching while having to edit and upload 70+ videos a month of students mindlessly reciting speeches that they would forget in 5 minutes.  On top of that, I had to go through and correct all of these speeches beforehand.  Is there wasn't this slow ramp up to the overwork, I wouldn't have been able to get used to my classes well enough to wing all of them.  I was honest to the teacher who replaced me, but they epicly failed to ask the questions that they needed to.  They ended up suddenly quitting after 2 months.  The weirdest thing about that academy was how oblivious they were to thier own responsibility in the problems they were having.  In an effort to be progressive, they would constantly change the curriculum which made it impossible for teachers to become experts in the subject matter.  If a student complained they would immediately chew out the teacher instead of asking for an adults side of the story. Because the owner was too busy taking vacation while never giving his emplyees vacation days (myself excluded although he did his best to cheat me out of them), he asked the teachers to give him anal retentive amounts of statistics and other information to save him time. Somehow I was able to maintian my civility in order to get the letter of recommedation that I needed to get into the EPIK program.  Now I am sitting at school and posting here with all of my free time.  I am so low stress that I don't feel the need to drink myself to sleep every night.  I am sure there was more instances of stupidty and more details I could have given in the moment of these instances, but time passes and there is no point in dwelling on it.  I was also too busy being busy to know this site existed.  The one thing that got me through was some truly amazing students. (and the alcohol)

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #9498 on: March 05, 2019, 09:14:38 pm »
Can the Koreans I talk to stop saying that the "weather is bad" and "Oh, the dust."

It's not weather. It's pollution. A heavy rain on a Saturday is bad weather. This ain't that.

And it ain't dust. Dust gathers on your mantle and you gotta clean it off. This is pollution. POLLUTION.

It's like renaming a murder to something like.......... Life Taking. Call it what it is. It's pollution!

Even if the whole world says otherwise, I still maintain that Confucianism, with it's two favourite principles of saving face and shifting the blame are the reasons air pollution will maintain the euphemism of 'fine dust' and that diddly squat will be done about it.

The last few days I made the decision to renew this year, giving me time to finish my distance learning while earning an income and then move on. Im hoping this toxic poison wont have any long term effects if I leave within the next year or 2.

Can someone explain the phenomenon of dust coming from China and ruining the Korean air quality? (I am not being sarcastic, I would like someone to link me to a source which is reliable so I can research please).

I am always hearing bad stuff about China from Koreans and well I sometimes question things, when everything is blaming China...like wut?

Blaming China for any and all problems is standard in most of East Asia, it seems. That said, there's SOME truth to China contributing to Korea's air pollution.

Of course, it has nothing to do with everyone driving giant cars, smoking, etc....just China's fault.

I was really expecting more from a rant thread. I could have given some epic rants about the academy I used to work at.  Like has anyone been forced to take vacation days on the weekend when you never work on the weekend. Or being asked to design a debate course three months after you have started teaching for the first time. Or randomly being given super beginner classes/phonics classes suddenly because your boss is just tired of hiring new teachers after teachers keep quitting because he treats them like garbage. I got up to thirty hours a week of teaching while having to edit and upload 70+ videos a month of students mindlessly reciting speeches that they would forget in 5 minutes.  On top of that, I had to go through and correct all of these speeches beforehand.  Is there wasn't this slow ramp up to the overwork, I wouldn't have been able to get used to my classes well enough to wing all of them.  I was honest to the teacher who replaced me, but they epicly failed to ask the questions that they needed to.  They ended up suddenly quitting after 2 months.  The weirdest thing about that academy was how oblivious they were to thier own responsibility in the problems they were having.  In an effort to be progressive, they would constantly change the curriculum which made it impossible for teachers to become experts in the subject matter.  If a student complained they would immediately chew out the teacher instead of asking for an adults side of the story. Because the owner was too busy taking vacation while never giving his emplyees vacation days (myself excluded although he did his best to cheat me out of them), he asked the teachers to give him anal retentive amounts of statistics and other information to save him time. Somehow I was able to maintian my civility in order to get the letter of recommedation that I needed to get into the EPIK program.  Now I am sitting at school and posting here with all of my free time.  I am so low stress that I don't feel the need to drink myself to sleep every night.  I am sure there was more instances of stupidty and more details I could have given in the moment of these instances, but time passes and there is no point in dwelling on it.  I was also too busy being busy to know this site existed.  The one thing that got me through was some truly amazing students. (and the alcohol)

No offense, but I was expecting more from your rant given your first sentence. This all seems pretty minor to me.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9499 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:45 am »
Now that I've finally gotten the schedule for my new middle school, I'm dreading it.

Classes are divided by grade and skill level, like my previous school, but since there's not enough time in the week to teach every class once, the classes will rotate each week, meaning that some of my lessons will be taught over more than one week. I could barely understand the schedule just looking at it, and even my CT who made the darn thing was confused as hell.

This is gonna be fun.  :huh:
The World Ends With You