Read 2038271 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9440 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:20 am »
I saw this meme and it made me angry. Rant over.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9441 on: February 14, 2019, 12:03:06 pm »
The gyopo I'm talking about, though, is basically a cartoon caricature of the whole thing. He is probably the most ridiculous person I have ever met since being in Korea. He was adopted at three and has only been in Korea for about a year, lol.
Sounds very similar to someone who i used to work with, but he was half Korean. He had had a rough time growing up in the US in the 70s and 80s. Racism and bullying. Unfortunately, he held on to the bitterness and hurt that it produced and was a nasty, angry little man. Made up lies, treid to get people fired, got pissed that not everyone could speak Korean even though his Korean was at a beginner's beginners level. Would do weird things like thow peoples teaching materials out, pull out plugs and hide them. Convinced he stole my registers and grade sheets one year to sabotage me.

He was like an evil villan in a movie but instead of wanting to blow up the moon or something, he wanted all foreigners out of Korea and for China and Korea to become the new world superpowers.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9442 on: February 14, 2019, 12:14:28 pm »

The gyopo I'm talking about, though, is basically a cartoon caricature of the whole thing. He is probably the most ridiculous person I have ever met since being in Korea. He was adopted at three and has only been in Korea for about a year, lol.
Minor quibble- adoptees aren't gyopos. Adoptees aren't gyopos unless they were adopted like, after turning 8 or so. The big difference is growing up with Korean vs. American parents and the rules and expectations. A lot of adoptees grew up with minimal or no exposure to Korean culture.

In many cases, they're just an asshole period.

That's actually not true. Gyopo can simply mean anyone of Korean heritage who's living abroad and whose nationality is something other than Korea. The meaning is really wide.

« Reply #9443 on: February 14, 2019, 12:18:55 pm »
That's actually not true. Gyopo can simply mean anyone of Korean heritage who's living abroad and whose nationality is something other than Korea. The meaning is really wide.
Not with the Koreans I was with- There were 1st Gen, 1.5s and 유학생, 2nd/Gyopo, and adoptees were separate.

With Koreans in Korea it can sometimes mean that and is often employed for brevity's sake.

Is it different where you're from? We had a TON of Korean adoptees where I grew up so that might be why.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #9444 on: February 14, 2019, 12:22:39 pm »
Not with the Koreans I was with- There were 1st Gen, 1.5s and 유학생, 2nd/Gyopo, and adoptees were separate.

With Koreans in Korea it can sometimes mean that and is often employed for brevity's sake.

Is it different where you're from? We had a TON of Korean adoptees where I grew up so that might be why.

I mean that's just the "basic" meaning of the word as I understood it.  I guess it's used differently in different places!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #9445 on: February 14, 2019, 12:36:33 pm »
Did you two just............... come to a friendly conclusion???

Holy hell, mark this day in your calenders.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #9446 on: February 14, 2019, 12:44:30 pm »
Did you two just............... come to a friendly conclusion???

Holy hell, mark this day in your calenders.

:laugh: :laugh:

ssh..my troll badge will be taken away.

« Reply #9447 on: February 17, 2019, 05:23:41 pm »
Sounds very similar to someone who i used to work with, but he was half Korean. He had had a rough time growing up in the US in the 70s and 80s. Racism and bullying. Unfortunately, he held on to the bitterness and hurt that it produced and was a nasty, angry little man. Made up lies, treid to get people fired, got pissed that not everyone could speak Korean even though his Korean was at a beginner's beginners level. Would do weird things like thow peoples teaching materials out, pull out plugs and hide them. Convinced he stole my registers and grade sheets one year to sabotage me.

He was like an evil villan in a movie but instead of wanting to blow up the moon or something, he wanted all foreigners out of Korea and for China and Korea to become the new world superpowers.

Haha, this brings back memories of a guy I used to work with. Was the pettiest mofo ever. No one could leave him alone in a room if they had something going on because you knew he'd try to sabotage it. He even ruined a coworker's poptarts once by setting the toaster to the highest setting while she went off to the bathroom, lol. He eventually got fired.

That guy, though, had a beef with the entire world. Pretty sure he came from a super abusive background.

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #9448 on: February 18, 2019, 07:53:32 pm »
an asshole period.

What a revolting concept.

« Reply #9449 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:29 am »
Get to my new school and find that the previous foreign teacher left his office absolutely filthy.  Dust everywhere, clutter everywhere.  Spent the whole morning cleaning up.  Then I find out "drum club/practice" is held in my room every Tuesday, one of the only two days I am at this school.  It was as loud and annoying as you can imagine for two hours in the afternoon.  >:(

« Reply #9450 on: March 04, 2019, 07:58:49 am »
They keep using my classroom for private meetings.

There are actual meeting rooms for meetings. Why come here?  :cry:

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #9451 on: March 04, 2019, 08:37:51 am »
Spent a lovely long weekend in Japan but as soon as I set foot in the ferry terminal to come back, all those feelings of stress came flooding straight back. 

The incessant noise and shouting, hearing "BALLY WAH" screamed about ten thousand times as loudly as possible.  Getting pushed and shoved in the back, my bag getting knocked over constantly with no apologies etc....

But this annoyed me the most and is something I'd never seen before.  Maybe it's a new phenomenon.  In order to ensure their place at the front of the queue, people would form the queue with their bags first so they could go off and shop, sit down, eat, whatever.  Pics attached.  They were doing it at every check point.

How the hell is that fair?!  I think it got up my nose so much because I'm a Brit and we take queueing very seriously  :evil:

« Reply #9452 on: March 04, 2019, 08:43:26 am »
Spent a lovely long weekend in Japan but as soon as I set foot in the ferry terminal to come back, all those feelings of stress came flooding straight back. 

The incessant noise and shouting, hearing "BALLY WAH" screamed about ten thousand times as loudly as possible.  Getting pushed and shoved in the back, my bag getting knocked over constantly with no apologies etc....

But this annoyed me the most and is something I'd never seen before.  Maybe it's a new phenomenon.  In order to ensure their place at the front of the queue, people would form the queue with their bags first so they could go off and shop, sit down, eat, whatever.  Pics attached.  They were doing it at every check point.

How the hell is that fair?!  I think it got up my nose so much because I'm a Brit and we take queueing very seriously  :evil:

No announcements about unattended baggage being removed and possibly destroyed? Shame the security was so lax there.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #9453 on: March 04, 2019, 08:45:43 am »
No announcements about unattended baggage being removed and possibly destroyed? Shame the security was so lax there.

I have a heart attack every time I see unattended baggage left in places without supervision. Can't beat the British security out of me yet  :laugh:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #9454 on: March 04, 2019, 09:40:59 am »
Can the Koreans I talk to stop saying that the "weather is bad" and "Oh, the dust."

It's not weather. It's pollution. A heavy rain on a Saturday is bad weather. This ain't that.

And it ain't dust. Dust gathers on your mantle and you gotta clean it off. This is pollution. POLLUTION.

It's like renaming a murder to something like.......... Life Taking. Call it what it is. It's pollution!

« Reply #9455 on: March 04, 2019, 09:50:27 am »
Can the Koreans I talk to stop saying that the "weather is bad" and "Oh, the dust."

It's not weather. It's pollution. A heavy rain on a Saturday is bad weather. This ain't that.

And it ain't dust. Dust gathers on your mantle and you gotta clean it off. This is pollution. POLLUTION.

It's like renaming a murder to something like.......... Life Taking. Call it what it is. It's pollution!

I was going to make a joke about how dust is just easier to say than pollution, but then I realized they both have the same amount of syllables: 더스트 / 포루션. WELP!

« Reply #9456 on: March 04, 2019, 11:18:17 am »

Even if the whole world says otherwise, I still maintain that Confucianism, with it's two favourite principles of saving face and shifting the blame are the reasons air pollution will maintain the euphemism of 'fine dust' and that diddly squat will be done about it.

The last few days I made the decision to renew this year, giving me time to finish my distance learning while earning an income and then move on. Im hoping this toxic poison wont have any long term effects if I leave within the next year or 2.

Best I can do right now is:

- Stay indoors during the bad days
- Litter my apartment with plants
- Stay well hydrated
- Eat lots of veggies
- Keep my air purifier going

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #9457 on: March 04, 2019, 11:50:21 am »

- Stay well hydrated
- Eat lots of veggies

Exactly what I'm doing. I need some plants, though.

Any plants that are good for filtering air specifically?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:56:11 am by CO2 »

« Reply #9458 on: March 04, 2019, 11:56:18 am »
As some of you might know, I'm a big fan of online shopping, and also saving money.

In the past, I've been a huge proponent of the Gmarket / Auction Smile Club premium membership. You used to get 1.5-2.5% cash back on literally every purchase. Plus extra coupons for even more savings. This was a very good deal, considering the registration fee was basically free.

This lasted for about a year and a half. Maybe two? Times were good.

Now, since the beginning of this month, they completely gutted all the benefits. Cash back is now down to 0.3%, which is the same as it is for regular members using Smile Pay. The coupons are reduced in quantity and discount percent. There is literally almost no reason to register for Smile Club anymore. I saved about 400,000 won last year thanks to Smile Club. It sucks losing those benefits. That's my rant. Guess I'll be switching to Coupang.

« Reply #9459 on: March 04, 2019, 11:57:40 am »

- Stay well hydrated
- Eat lots of veggies

Exactly what I'm doing. I need some plants, though.

Any plants that are good for filtering air specifically?

I'm actually going to hunt down some Spanish moss after work today. I want a couple for my home, but, depending on how much they're going for, I'll get a few for my classroom, too.

EDIT: There are five recommended per this vid that can probably be found easily around Korea. Spanish moss appeals to me the most because it's apparently very low maintenance.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:00:29 pm by Chinguetti »