Read 1492004 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9400 on: January 27, 2019, 04:10:17 pm »
Omg i was on youtube and read someone use “pretty girl privilege” against someone else who was talking about how they got a free drink at the bar....seriously???? Pretty girl privilege??? The even sadder thing was this comment had like hundreds of thumbs ups. WHOSE THUMBS R THESE.. lol

This is worse than “cis-female/male” privilege. Like uh...has no one heard of life isn’t unfair. Obviously it doesnt mean that people should be discriminated against or treated unfair but omg life isn’t perfect and who care if a prettier person gets treated better than you. It sucks but whatever dude.

Does that mean i can start calling people who have a higher iq than me “smart person privilege”? Or tell my brother who has 20/20 vision that he has ‘20/20 vision privilege’......

My parents grew up seeing technology rapidly advanced before their eyes.
I grew up seeing comedy die and freedom of speech hit an all time low.

Lol i know i sound dramatic...but this the rant forumn so sorry in advance.

Edit—
I guess i should stay off of reading youtube comments. Or comments online in general.

Your IQ, your looks and  (if you're a guy) whether you had a father around are the three most important inherent privileges you can have in the world but nobody talks about leveling the playing field in those areas.
errr yeah ok. I think you’re missing my point, which i’m not saying is your fault or anything like that. If you get it you get it if you dont you dont and im cool with that.  8)

I was making a point of my own, related to your point

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9401 on: January 27, 2019, 07:57:39 pm »
Omg i was on youtube and read someone use “pretty girl privilege” against someone else who was talking about how they got a free drink at the bar

Imagine feeling entitled to free drinks from others.

Pay for your own shit, everything else is just gravy.

Or be someone worth buying drinks for, they sound like someone I wouldn't want to buy a drink for.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9402 on: January 28, 2019, 08:47:00 am »
Omg i was on youtube and read someone use “pretty girl privilege” against someone else who was talking about how they got a free drink at the bar

Imagine feeling entitled to free drinks from others.

Pay for your own shit, everything else is just gravy.

Or be someone worth buying drinks for, they sound like someone I wouldn't want to buy a drink for.

Related anecdote and this has always stuck with me for some reason...

Met a girl in a bar, start chatting and offer to buy her a drink.  She asks if I can get one for her friend too and I say sure why not.  Carry on chatting, finish our drinks and head to the bar again.  She suggests I should buy the next ones too so I say politely "Oh, it's your turn isn't it?".

She replies, "You're a bit of a dick aren't you" and walks off  :laugh:

« Reply #9403 on: January 28, 2019, 08:48:45 am »
still, mods haven't answered why 1 particular subject is banned and not the other.  like i said, bored and curious.  i like this site.  it has helped who knows how many people.  despite the paywall, some people do still pay.  i even have adblock turned off for this site.   :azn:

Again, I'm probably not the mod you want (and probably not the one you deserve, either) as I haven't bothered locking threads etc, but I'll toss in my 2 cents anyway because, hey, deskwarming...  :undecided:

In my opinion, I think topics like religion and sexuality are very personal in nature: some people define themselves by one or both of those. Conversely, other people may have no strong feelings about them one way or the other. It can be very easy for the latter group to unintentionally (or intentionally) offend the former.

Politics, on the other hand, should not be as sensitive of a topic: an attack on a party platform shouldn't be considered a personal attack unless, you know, you're the actual politician being discussed.

Also something to keep in mind (and probably nothing to do with the TOS, but interesting nevertheless): the Waygook.org servers are hosted in Canada. While American laws are careful to protect their First Amendment, Canada does not have a similar stance on the right to say whatever the heck you want. There are laws in place about hate speech, and certain kinds of public discourse are prohibited. Not naming any names, but without the occasional gentle reminder some people would in terrible danger: a few select screenshots, and the RCMP on speed dial, this forum could be a lot more... peaceful...  :laugh:

Also, who in their right mind wants to see Waygook devolve into another YouTube comment section...  :huh:

If I can chime in, I think there was what, the Gillette one which was turning into the Covington one. The Covington one, which turned into some rambling screed if I remember. I previously way back when wrote a post expressing my displeasure with mods quashing threads because it seemed they didn't care for the topic in general and had their fingers on the scales in one direction. I don't think that applied in this case. Both times the threads had gone wayyy of course. This wasn't simply a case of someone mentioning a big story like Roger Stone or Bernie 2020 or the Shutdown or whatever and people debating the topic and the mod arbitrarily deciding "this thread has run its course" or "no need for this topic". I don't know about scrubbing the threads, but locking them is certainly reasonable.

Ever since that kerfluffle a while back that hasn't happened. It didn't happen this time. I hope it doesn't portend it happening in the future. I think things were handled A-OK.

« Reply #9404 on: January 28, 2019, 09:22:08 am »
still, mods haven't answered why 1 particular subject is banned and not the other.  like i said, bored and curious.  i like this site.  it has helped who knows how many people.  despite the paywall, some people do still pay.  i even have adblock turned off for this site.   :azn:

Again, I'm probably not the mod you want (and probably not the one you deserve, either) as I haven't bothered locking threads etc, but I'll toss in my 2 cents anyway because, hey, deskwarming...  :undecided:

In my opinion, I think topics like religion and sexuality are very personal in nature: some people define themselves by one or both of those. Conversely, other people may have no strong feelings about them one way or the other. It can be very easy for the latter group to unintentionally (or intentionally) offend the former.

Politics, on the other hand, should not be as sensitive of a topic: an attack on a party platform shouldn't be considered a personal attack unless, you know, you're the actual politician being discussed.

Also something to keep in mind (and probably nothing to do with the TOS, but interesting nevertheless): the Waygook.org servers are hosted in Canada. While American laws are careful to protect their First Amendment, Canada does not have a similar stance on the right to say whatever the heck you want. There are laws in place about hate speech, and certain kinds of public discourse are prohibited. Not naming any names, but without the occasional gentle reminder some people would in terrible danger: a few select screenshots, and the RCMP on speed dial, this forum could be a lot more... peaceful...  :laugh:

Also, who in their right mind wants to see Waygook devolve into another YouTube comment section...  :huh:

If I can chime in, I think there was what, the Gillette one which was turning into the Covington one. The Covington one, which turned into some rambling screed if I remember. I previously way back when wrote a post expressing my displeasure with mods quashing threads because it seemed they didn't care for the topic in general and had their fingers on the scales in one direction. I don't think that applied in this case. Both times the threads had gone wayyy of course. This wasn't simply a case of someone mentioning a big story like Roger Stone or Bernie 2020 or the Shutdown or whatever and people debating the topic and the mod arbitrarily deciding "this thread has run its course" or "no need for this topic". I don't know about scrubbing the threads, but locking them is certainly reasonable.

Ever since that kerfluffle a while back that hasn't happened. It didn't happen this time. I hope it doesn't portend it happening in the future. I think things were handled A-OK.

If a discussion 'isn't going anywhere/has run its course', that would suggest no one else wants to comment on it, so why the need to lock it? If it's going in what someone thinks is the wrong direction, a warning to get it back on track would seem sufficient. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:23:46 am by eggieguffer »

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #9405 on: January 28, 2019, 02:23:14 pm »
Why do the newer subway trains (line 2) have no overhead bag rack anymore? There are also less solid surfaces to hang onto now. Maybe people dropped their bags on people sitting below.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9406 on: January 28, 2019, 02:29:01 pm »
Why do the newer subway trains (line 2) have no overhead bag rack anymore? There are also less solid surfaces to hang onto now. Maybe people dropped their bags on people sitting below.
that's what i said! there's also less seats than before. great way to solve the overcrowding issues, guys. install less seats and have nowhere to put your luggage

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #9407 on: January 28, 2019, 02:42:06 pm »
that's what i said! there's also less seats than before. great way to solve the overcrowding issues, guys. install less seats and have nowhere to put your luggage

Also, the screens that show what staion you are at are hard to see when you are seated in a train full of people. They also show ads between stations which is a bit annoying. I just want to see quickly what staion is next. The older trains have the next station sign or tv on the roof in the middle of the isle not on the wall above every second door. Harder to get a clean line of sight.

« Reply #9408 on: January 29, 2019, 07:53:25 am »

Also, the screens that show what staion you are at are hard to see when you are seated in a train full of people. They also show ads between stations which is a bit annoying. I just want to see quickly what staion is next. The older trains have the next station sign or tv on the roof in the middle of the isle not on the wall above every second door. Harder to get a clean line of sight.

This. This drives me crazy.

« Reply #9409 on: January 29, 2019, 09:23:11 am »
They also show ads between stations which is a bit annoying.
Those ads help keep our fares low. I say the more the merrier. Maybe put ads in a few more places. I mean, if it wasn't for those ads, they'd probably jack the fares up by 150 won and then the skinflints would come out and howl and moan about how they're suffering and rant about the elderly on the trains and how 150 won a ride is a crippling expense.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9410 on: January 29, 2019, 09:45:30 am »
Those ads help keep our fares low. I say the more the merrier. Maybe put ads in a few more places. I mean, if it wasn't for those ads, they'd probably jack the fares up by 150 won and then the skinflints would come out and howl and moan about how they're suffering and rant about the elderly on the trains and how 150 won a ride is a crippling expense.
Understood, but they could keep the “next station” info up when they show them, though... as a PIP or subtitles. That’s info that people expect to have at-a-glance.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9411 on: January 29, 2019, 11:47:01 am »
Those ads help keep our fares low. I say the more the merrier. Maybe put ads in a few more places. I mean, if it wasn't for those ads, they'd probably jack the fares up by 150 won
Hey, something on which we agree!
and then the skinflints would come out and howl and moan about how they're suffering and rant about the elderly on the trains and how 150 won a ride is a crippling expense.
Now you go and ruin it!  I just don't care about people moaning on waygook.org.  Why on earth do you?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #9412 on: January 29, 2019, 02:21:57 pm »

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9413 on: January 29, 2019, 03:30:00 pm »
sorry, sir. fewer*. i was in rant mode

i will make fewer mistakes in the future and make less of a tit of myself

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #9414 on: January 29, 2019, 03:40:53 pm »
King Stannis of the House Baratheon, the First of His Name, The King in the Narrow Sea, Warrior of Light, The Lord's Chosen, Son of Fire, The Prince That Was Promised hereby grants you, Lord Oglopof house Waygook, a place in the King's Guard for your continued correct usage of English grammar.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9415 on: January 29, 2019, 04:25:39 pm »
Lord Oglopof house Waygook
excuse me but there should actual be a space between oglop and of

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #9416 on: January 29, 2019, 09:48:11 pm »
King Stannis makes no mistakes.

He is king, the chosen one, and is therefore right by default.

For the night is dark, and full of grammar errors.  :P
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:02:43 pm by waygo0k »

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9417 on: January 30, 2019, 07:32:48 am »
Lord Oglopof house Waygook
excuse me but there should actual be a space between oglop and of
actually

« Reply #9418 on: January 30, 2019, 03:27:20 pm »
I was looking at my bank account and noticed some extra $$ (won) sitting in it.  Okay, yay me!  But then I got curious as to what it was and from whom.  Apparently it was from my winter camp.  Again, yay, got paid.  But then I thought, "Why is it this amount, and why is it so little?!"  So I went and looked back at my two summer camps and noticed the same thing.  It was between 90,000 and 100,000 won.   :huh:  Seriously whaaaat?!  Put the car in park, Clark!  I only get paid 90,000 ~ 100,000 for doing a camp? 

Here's the gripe:

Yes, the pay is BS (not to mention I had to cover for the two-pump-chump that lives upstairs), and depending on each M/PoE the pay will differ, but what the f*ck happened to the 440,000 won I was given as a budget?  In total, my supplies only cost 120,000 won.  WTF happened to the other 320,000 won?  And also, if I was paid only 90,000 for this winter camp, that means hourly is 5,625 won?!  Someone f*king explain this to me.  If this is norm for camps, no wonder no one wants to do them.  OH!  and I noticed I was only paid for ONE of my summer camps. 

Before anyone says "It was in your monthly paycheck."  Nope!  My pay hasn't budged for the entire year I've been here.  Same amount on the same day. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9419 on: January 30, 2019, 03:35:25 pm »
I think Korean teachers get paid 1m for doing camp (at least, at my old school they did). Yes, I know that they just sit in the office the entire time and go home early, and don't actually help with anything.