Read 1385464 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9380 on: January 22, 2019, 10:05:09 am »
thanks for the answer kyndo.  seems like warnings are being given to the same person instead of being distributed evenly then?  i say that because when i read these threads, i'm not seeing how both aren't being muted with the amount of poopoo they throw at each other.  i know it's pretty much impossible for a person to be non bias so they may give warnings to the person they disagree with.  thanos would not be pleased with the imbalance. 

still though, why not ban politics like they do religion? or at least find a better way to filter the front page? 

Other times (when I'm bored), I randomly mute people so that I can be entertained by the resulting drama.

8)

« Reply #9381 on: January 22, 2019, 10:30:53 am »
still though, why not ban politics like they do religion? or at least find a better way to filter the front page? 

Modern puritanism rearing its ugly head again. People doing something on a website that has no effect on my life whatsoever, or maybe in an infinitesimal way, but I'm still going to call for it to be banned because I disapprove of it.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9382 on: January 22, 2019, 11:09:55 am »

Modern puritanism rearing its ugly head again. People doing something on a website that has no effect on my life whatsoever, or maybe in an infinitesimal way, but I'm still going to call for it to be banned because I disapprove of it.
I donít think anybody is calling for a ban of discussing politics... just a ban on discussing it here, on a site which has a fairly narrow scope which doesnít include that.

Much as how sex between consenting adults isnít banned, but it will get you kicked out if IKEA.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9383 on: January 22, 2019, 11:37:27 am »
Exactly. Would you go to the Korea reddit forms and talk about a Western ad? It's irrelevant, meaning it's not nice to waste people's time crowding the space with that they don't want to read because it's unrelated. Bad manners. Maybe pester strangers in a pub if it's so important to you. You can join a discussion meet up then change the topic to Gillette. 

« Reply #9384 on: January 22, 2019, 11:39:36 am »

I donít think anybody is calling for a ban of discussing politics... just a ban on discussing it here, on a site which has a fairly narrow scope which doesnít include that.

Much as how sex between consenting adults isnít banned, but it will get you kicked out if IKEA.

pretty much this.  if they aren't going to allow one topic of conversation, why is the other acceptable?  both being extremely sensitive subjects (especially if you look at the back and forth you all go through) that always results in bickering and shit talking.  there had to be a reason religion was banned.  pretty sure that reason can apply to politics as well

sure

my question was directed at what criteria the mods use to ban people and close down topics.  kyndo answered the banning people part.

i've made complaints about the front page before.  it needs an overhaul. 

edit.  messed up the quotes.  poo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:43:28 am by tanis62458 »

« Reply #9385 on: January 22, 2019, 11:41:54 am »

Sex in public is illegal and covered by indecency laws. A better analogy would be banning talking about politics in  IKEA. Why not? After all people go there to talk about furniture.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:47:07 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #9386 on: January 22, 2019, 11:42:36 am »
Exactly. Would you go to the Korea reddit forms and talk about a Western ad? It's irrelevant, meaning it's not nice to waste people's time crowding the space with that they don't want to read because it's unrelated. Bad manners. Maybe pester strangers in a pub if it's so important to you. You can join a discussion meet up then change the topic to Gillette.

my biggest complaint about the front page is that new teachers come here and are looking for resources.  waygook helped me out when i was starting out.  it's just kind of shitty that the first thing they see is endless topics on us politics. 

« Reply #9387 on: January 22, 2019, 11:44:21 am »

Would you go to the teaching plans section on here and talk about politics? No, you do it in the forum created for talking about current affairs or specific countries. Pretty difficult to talk about those topoics without getting into politics occasionally, I'd have thought.

« Reply #9388 on: January 22, 2019, 11:46:06 am »

my biggest complaint about the front page is that new teachers come here and are looking for resources.  waygook helped me out when i was starting out.  it's just kind of shitty that the first thing they see is endless topics on us politics.

Considering most people read from the top of the page, the first thing they see is 'new in lesson plans' isn't it?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9389 on: January 22, 2019, 11:46:42 am »

I know that when I see something online that I don't like, I make sure that no one else can do it either.

And I know that when two people get out of hand, you should just nike the whole thread. Why discipline badly behaving individuals when you can just erase everything? (OINK)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:52:54 am by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #9390 on: January 22, 2019, 11:47:37 am »

After the paywall appeared, people go to the other site for free resources.

« Reply #9391 on: January 22, 2019, 11:53:06 am »

true but some people do still pay though.  mostly noobies.  just out of curiosity savant, what's your warning rating if you mind me asking?  if you saw what i originally wrote, i'm more or less curious about how some of the mods determine locking threads (not deleted at least, people can still read them,  good!) and muting people (kyndo answered this already).  you don't need to answer if you don't want to.

i just think the front page needs to be dedicated to the purpose of the site.  politics can be discussed just not displayed on the front page. 

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9392 on: January 22, 2019, 12:01:53 pm »

true but some people do still pay though.  mostly noobies.  just out of curiosity savant, what's your warning rating if you mind me asking?  if you saw what i originally wrote, i'm more or less curious about how some of the mods determine locking threads (not deleted at least, people can still read them,  good!) and muting people (kyndo answered this already).  you don't need to answer if you don't want to.

i just think the front page needs to be dedicated to the purpose of the site.  politics can be discussed just not displayed on the front page.

My warning rating is minimal. I saw what you wrote but chose not to respond.

I don't have any sway in how the forum is presented on the front page.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9393 on: January 22, 2019, 12:07:26 pm »

Those threads appear in the "Recent Activity" section.

What's your solution?  Do away with such a section--which would seem to irritate a lot of people looking for advice on whatr kind of stove to buy or whether korean toothpaste has fluoride--or change it to "Recent Activity Except in Threads tanis Doesn't Like"?

« Reply #9394 on: January 22, 2019, 12:33:53 pm »
no.  not do away with it.  a while ago i suggested it should be this page http://www.waygook.org/index.php?action=forum

this should be the home page. 

savant-ah ok.  yeah, i'm still curious about how they mute people.  nothing personal.  with what kyndo said, it's probably just whoever the mods agree with before they hit the warning button.  just from where i'm at and how i read these threads, not really sure how they determine that. 

still, mods haven't answered why 1 particular subject is banned and not the other.  like i said, bored and curious.  i like this site.  it has helped who knows how many people.  despite the paywall, some people do still pay.  i even have adblock turned off for this site.   :azn:

What's your solution?  Do away with such a section--which would seem to irritate a lot of people looking for advice on whatr kind of stove to buy or whether korean toothpaste has fluoride--or change it to "Recent Activity Except in Threads tanis Doesn't Like"?

:rolleyes: ok bub.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9395 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:56 pm »
still, mods haven't answered why 1 particular subject is banned and not the other.  like i said, bored and curious.  i like this site.  it has helped who knows how many people.  despite the paywall, some people do still pay.  i even have adblock turned off for this site.   :azn:

Again, I'm probably not the mod you want (and probably not the one you deserve, either) as I haven't bothered locking threads etc, but I'll toss in my 2 cents anyway because, hey, deskwarming...  :undecided:

In my opinion, I think topics like religion and sexuality are very personal in nature: some people define themselves by one or both of those. Conversely, other people may have no strong feelings about them one way or the other. It can be very easy for the latter group to unintentionally (or intentionally) offend the former.

Politics, on the other hand, should not be as sensitive of a topic: an attack on a party platform shouldn't be considered a personal attack unless, you know, you're the actual politician being discussed.

Also something to keep in mind (and probably nothing to do with the TOS, but interesting nevertheless): the Waygook.org servers are hosted in Canada. While American laws are careful to protect their First Amendment, Canada does not have a similar stance on the right to say whatever the heck you want. There are laws in place about hate speech, and certain kinds of public discourse are prohibited. Not naming any names, but without the occasional gentle reminder some people would in terrible danger: a few select screenshots, and the RCMP on speed dial, this forum could be a lot more... peaceful...  :laugh:

Also, who in their right mind wants to see Waygook devolve into another YouTube comment section...  :huh:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:42:18 pm by kyndo »

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9396 on: January 22, 2019, 01:43:10 pm »

Also, who in their right mind wants to see Waygook devolve into another YouTube comment section...  :huh:

Or the Korea Times comment section...

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9397 on: January 22, 2019, 01:44:42 pm »
Heavens forfend.  :lipsrsealed:

« Reply #9398 on: January 22, 2019, 02:02:57 pm »
Heavens forfend.  :lipsrsealed:
korea times comment section is a shit show. 

thanks for your answer kyndo. 

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9399 on: January 27, 2019, 10:57:58 am »
korean tv adverts are the worst. every single advert seems to have to be endorsed by a korean celebrity. none of the advertisements are creative or original. it's just "buy this because your favourite actor is getting paid to say he likes it"