Read 1397843 times

• Jayson1979
  • Explorer

• October 20, 2014, 09:20:13 am
    • Yangyang, South Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9180 on: November 30, 2018, 01:50:39 pm »
So I have been having this issue for a while, and wonder what others think about it. 
I have a woman in my school's office that likes to make comments about how "difficult" it is to hear me speaking in English.  She "jokingly" complains about not being able to understand me. 
Other teachers often ask me to come over to their side of the office for snacks or coffee, but the moment I open my mouth to speak to an English teacher, the Complain Train is off and running.  What should I do about this?  I mean, I can understand her difficulty in understanding me when I speak... but what is the alternative?  Should I join for coffee and snacks and just keep deadly quiet?  Should I decline the snacks and coffee and just stick to myself?  Should I make a comment about how difficult it is for me to understand her when she speaks?  Not sure what to do.  Any advice?

I find the best way to deal with this is to ask her if she is married in Korean. If she says no you giggle and say how old are you? If she says yes, you say in Korean do you have a picture of your husband? Then she shows you on her cell phone and when she passes it to you, you say he looks younger than you then giggle, grab a choco pie and saunter off back to your desk.

Gotta let the office know who's boss.

Hilarious.... but not quite the direction I was thinking.  Thanks for making me LOL at my desk though.  :-)

« Reply #9181 on: November 30, 2018, 02:33:06 pm »
So I have been having this issue for a while, and wonder what others think about it. 
I have a woman in my school's office that likes to make comments about how "difficult" it is to hear me speaking in English.  She "jokingly" complains about not being able to understand me. 
Other teachers often ask me to come over to their side of the office for snacks or coffee, but the moment I open my mouth to speak to an English teacher, the Complain Train is off and running.  What should I do about this?  I mean, I can understand her difficulty in understanding me when I speak... but what is the alternative?  Should I join for coffee and snacks and just keep deadly quiet?  Should I decline the snacks and coffee and just stick to myself?  Should I make a comment about how difficult it is for me to understand her when she speaks?  Not sure what to do.  Any advice?

I find the best way to deal with this is to ask her if she is married in Korean. If she says no you giggle and say how old are you? If she says yes, you say in Korean do you have a picture of your husband? Then she shows you on her cell phone and when she passes it to you, you say he looks younger than you then giggle, grab a choco pie and saunter off back to your desk.

Gotta let the office know who's boss.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly. Don't get mad, get even.

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #9182 on: November 30, 2018, 04:43:28 pm »

I think that my best option is remain silent from now on, and just keep to myself.  I do not want to cause an issue in the office or with my school.

You prefer to punish yourself for daring to have been raised as an English-speaker over growing a polite spine?

"I'm sorry, Mrs. X, but what you say is hurting my feelings. I will not speak to you in English, don't worry."

Then blank her. She will get the message.

People are not more or less people based on what language(s) they speak, and perpetuating that only hurts other foreigners and makes you less-than in the eyes of everyone.

« Reply #9183 on: December 03, 2018, 08:20:27 am »
The TV in my classroom broke last Monday right around 2:45 PM.... 

It is now the following Monday.  You'd think it would have been fixed by now.  Yea, me too.  but NOPE!  So I ask about it and was told that "they" (admin) maybe forgot to call in a Tech to have it fixed.  I mean, really?!  Heading to the individual classrooms is not a big deal, but it kina is since I have to drag everything with me, (books, CD's in case the teachers don't have them set up on their TV's, games, projects) etc etc. 

I'm literally on the last chapter in all my class and this TV thing is making me fall behind.  **sigh** 

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9184 on: December 03, 2018, 08:31:46 am »

It is now the following Monday.  You'd think it would have been fixed by now.  Yea, me too.  but NOPE!  So I ask about it and was told that "they" (admin) maybe forgot to call in a Tech to have it fixed.  I mean, really?!  Heading to the individual classrooms is not a big deal, but it kina is since I have to drag everything with me, (books, CD's in case the teachers don't have them set up on their TV's, games, projects) etc etc. 

I'm literally on the last chapter in all my class and this TV thing is making me fall behind.  **sigh**

At my second school, it took them literal weeks just to fix the sound system in some of the classrooms. Some of which only needed a new aux cord. It was fun reading the book, rather than doing the listening sections every time  :lipsrsealed:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9185 on: December 03, 2018, 08:32:50 am »
There really is no point being here anymore.

Check schedule - go to class - no one shows up.

I've been here for five years and this happens over and over again.  No explanation unless I go and ask for one and certainly no apology.  In my first couple of years it didn't bother me.  I was a brand new teacher, pay your dues and all that.  But I've been here for five years now and feel like I've more than proved myself.  I honestly don't know what I have to do to be shown even a tiny bit of respect.   

« Reply #9186 on: December 03, 2018, 08:41:56 am »

That sucks! It's not too bad, though. I have to go to the homerooms for all of the classes at my big school. It's annoying, but it only adds an minute or two before the start. I just wouldn't do anything that involves a ton of prep for the next few days.

« Reply #9187 on: December 03, 2018, 08:44:22 am »

At my second school, it took them literal weeks just to fix the sound system in some of the classrooms. Some of which only needed a new aux cord. It was fun reading the book, rather than doing the listening sections every time  :lipsrsealed:

I'm guessing it's just an old HDMI cable since the TV wont shut off.  It had been flicking on and off for a week or so, but then it quit.  Now it you can't even turn it off. 

What I find amusing is that (my school at least) spends tons of money on plants and flowers that no one really takes care of, left in pots to shrivel up and die, but no one seems to have the money (or forgets) to get the TV fixed. 

« Reply #9188 on: December 03, 2018, 10:19:44 am »

That sucks! It's not too bad, though. I have to go to the homerooms for all of the classes at my big school. It's annoying, but it only adds an minute or two before the start. I just wouldn't do anything that involves a ton of prep for the next few days.

I go to all my home rooms at my country school.  So yea, it's no big deal.  It's just kina annoying that they've (the school) known about my TV being broken since last Monday and no one has bothered to look at it/fix it. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9189 on: December 03, 2018, 10:27:33 am »
I go to all my home rooms at my country school.  So yea, it's no big deal.  It's just kina annoying that they've (the school) known about my TV being broken since last Monday and no one has bothered to look at it/fix it.

I can totally sympathise:

At one of my schools, my English classroom has a computer with memory issues to the point where it can barely run powerpoint and chrome at the same time. Makes preparing .ppts a bit of a chore. Sooooooo slowwwww.........

At my other school, the computer is nice and fast... but has that stupid fasoo password protection program thingy. Apparently nobody knows the password anymore, so while I can (and do) make .ppts and worksheets etc, none of it can be saved to the computer due to said security program. Oh, and I still don't have a copy of the grade 4 textbook yet, despite having asked for it several times. Good things the elementary level textbook CDs are all uploaded on i-Scream*!

*This site has saved my butt a couple times when textbook CDs were unavailable. To use this site, you need to login (I stole a coworkers ID and password when he wasn't looking). Then: ...

1 - click on the 3 stacked bars (far left on menu bar)
2 - look at the far left column, and select the grade.
3 - select your subject (English = 영어)
4 - select your textbook
5 - select chapter
6 - You're now in the wonderful land of textbook CDs!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:34:03 am by kyndo »

« Reply #9190 on: December 03, 2018, 10:32:41 am »
Oh for cripes sake!  Really?!?!   :rolleyes:

I'm also in the same boat with my 4th grade book.  The teacher insisted he keep it, but he has NEVER used it (the teachers manual)  Thank goodness I found the book on another website and was able to save it via USB or I would have been screwed!  That wanker would just show me the page we would be doing the next day and ask me to make a lesson from a few pictures... Dude!  really?!  **sigh**

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9191 on: December 03, 2018, 10:36:16 am »
Oh for cripes sake!  Really?!?!   :rolleyes:

I'm also in the same boat with my 4th grade book.  The teacher insisted he keep it, but he has NEVER used it (the teachers manual)  Thank goodness I found the book on another website and was able to save it via USB or I would have been screwed!  That wanker would just show me the page we would be doing the next day and ask me to make a lesson from a few pictures... Dude!  really?!  **sigh**

You know how kids are always losing their textbooks?
... well, I've been contemplating stealing one from one of the kids next time they leave one in the classroom. I feel bad about it, but I can rationalize it as being totally the school's fault for not providing me with one...  :angel:

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #9192 on: December 03, 2018, 10:39:45 am »
What I find amusing is that (my school at least) spends tons of money on plants and flowers that no one really takes care of, left in pots to shrivel up and die, but no one seems to have the money (or forgets) to get the TV fixed.

A nice metaphor for English education in Korea  :azn:
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #9193 on: December 04, 2018, 08:17:24 am »
Update to the TV drama.

I've been told that the TV was installed by someone (company) in Seoul and only that person (company) can come and fix it.   :rolleyes:  Since no one else in the area can fix said TV, there it will sit until Winter break, because that's the ONLY time this special person can come and fix said TV.  **sigh**

Icing on the cake:  Now I have Winter camp.  I was exempt this year but apparently one of the teachers flaked so the PoE asked me to take their place.  I could have said no, but like the @ss I am, I agreed to do it. 

Cheery on top:  The teacher I'm taking over for is the a-hole that blasts their music till 11PM almost every night. 

Seriously!  I must have don't something to piss the Karma gods off!   :cry:

« Reply #9194 on: December 04, 2018, 10:20:28 am »
Update to the TV drama.

I've been told that the TV was installed by someone (company) in Seoul and only that person (company) can come and fix it.   :rolleyes:  Since no one else in the area can fix said TV, there it will sit until Winter break, because that's the ONLY time this special person can come and fix said TV.  **sigh**

Icing on the cake:  Now I have Winter camp.  I was exempt this year but apparently one of the teachers flaked so the PoE asked me to take their place.  I could have said no, but like the @ss I am, I agreed to do it. 

Cheery on top:  The teacher I'm taking over for is the a-hole that blasts their music till 11PM almost every night. 

Wow that really sucks and sounds like a garbagefire that was just made up so they didn't have to get it done now. "One special person" sounds like a load of garbage to me. What are they, apple TVs?

On a different note, why do you let someone blast music till 11PM in your apartment complex? After 10pm I knock on doors and get it to stop. No reason for anyone to have music on that loud. 

« Reply #9195 on: December 04, 2018, 10:55:50 am »
Agreed to renew with my current school for another year, but I'm regretting it.

Wow that really sucks and sounds like a garbagefire that was just made up so they didn't have to get it done now. "One special person" sounds like a load of garbage to me. What are they, apple TVs?

I'm guessing they purchased a service contract with that person because that person was cheap, and they don't want to spend MORE money on someone closer and more readily available.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9196 on: December 04, 2018, 10:57:47 am »
Agreed to renew with my current school for another year, but I'm regretting it.

I'm guessing they purchased a service contract with that person because that person was cheap, and they don't want to spend MORE money on someone closer and more readily available.

Why are you regretting it? :o
If you didn't renew, would you transfer, reapply to try get a different province, or head to another country for a change of pace?

« Reply #9197 on: December 04, 2018, 11:03:45 am »
If you didn't renew, would you transfer, reapply to try get a different province, or head to another country for a change of pace?

The bullshit levels have risen every year since I've gotten here, with this past year being a leap rather than a step thanks largely to the new VP (he's an incompetent manchild, and his influence has been rubbing off on the rest of the assholes in the school).

Had a couple of interactions this morning that kind of reminded me of that.  :cry:

But it's fine. I'll be fine.  :lipsrsealed:

I haven't really decided if I'll be staying in Korea or leaving for a different country altogether, yet, but if I stay I'll request a rural assignment and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:06:12 am by Chinguetti »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9198 on: December 04, 2018, 12:48:57 pm »

The bullshit levels have risen every year since I've gotten here, with this past year being a leap rather than a step thanks largely to the new VP (he's an incompetent manchild, and his influence has been rubbing off on the rest of the assholes in the school).

Had a couple of interactions this morning that kind of reminded me of that.  :cry:

But it's fine. I'll be fine.  :lipsrsealed:

I haven't really decided if I'll be staying in Korea or leaving for a different country altogether, yet, but if I stay I'll request a rural assignment and hope for the best.

Ahh, sorry to hear that.
Actually, in January, I have an interview for a public school position in Osaka, that would start in September.
I kind of want to stay where I am in Korea a bit longer, it's a nice rural school position but, the boredom is starting to get to me a bit too much, and at 1 of my travel schools the students are difficult at best (even if there are some great kids there).

« Reply #9199 on: December 04, 2018, 03:25:45 pm »
Update to the TV drama.

On a different note, why do you let someone blast music till 11PM in your apartment complex? After 10pm I knock on doors and get it to stop. No reason for anyone to have music on that loud.

It's BS and I know it, but so long as the small TV works in my room, then so be it. 

As for the music prick, you can bang on the door, ceiling etc, and they wont turn it down.  ANd if they do, it goes from 11 to 10/ 1/2.    There are some weekends that it starts at 10AM and goes until 11PM  I shite you not!