Read 1398822 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9160 on: November 25, 2018, 09:53:53 pm »
Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.

That just shows the Korean sytem of priorities:

No. 1. making money/ profits.

No. 3956937847. Social justice/ creating a happy society
Catch my drift?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9161 on: November 26, 2018, 08:10:50 am »
yep. probably the most bullshit law ever to exist

I dunno, Australia just passed a law or something, that when you make a sausage and bread, and use onions, you have to do it in this order: Bread, onions, sausage, sauce/mustard.
Because someone slipped on a bit of onion that slipped off of one.

« Reply #9162 on: November 26, 2018, 09:46:58 am »
Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.

That just shows the Korean sytem of priorities:

No. 1. making money/ profits.

No. 3956937847. Social justice/ creating a happy society

Well it depends on how the law is applied. Does it also prevent your boss from leaving a review about YOU on a website? What if we were employers and we had a disgruntled employee leaving BS reviews? What if what they said was technically true but lacked context? I'm not saying the law is right, only that it's not the open and shut case you're making it. In fact, in an era of internet mobocracy, it might be the way we're heading. Just because something is different, doesn't make it "stupid" or "wrong".

That being said, there must be some limits to Korea's law as the food delivery apps all allow reviews and some of them have certainly had stuff that could be "damaging". I'm talking 1 star reviews with pictures of bugs or hair and stuff.

« Reply #9163 on: November 26, 2018, 10:04:30 am »
Why are some students always so shocked when you exclude them from fun activities and games because they consistently broke the rules and avoided doing their work?

I mean I'm used to the sense of entitlement that a lot of these kids have, but that usually results in indignation over not being rewarded for misbehavior, and I expect that. But it's the legit shock that surprises me every time. It's one thing to feel like you shouldn't have to face consequences (to include losing rewards), it's another when you don't ever expect to. Like all they ever expect to get is a scolding, and that's it. I don't really get how kids can get to middle school without understanding life's basic concepts.

Today I wasn't able to complete an activity with a particular class because half of the class thought that they could **** around with the teachers and still get to participate in the fun. I've written down the names and student numbers of every single one of the guilty and made it clear to all of them that they'll be sitting in the teacher's office next week while the rest of the class will get to complete the activity. The shock, man. But, really, what else were they expecting? They're the worst behaved class of their grade level, and I've never, ever let them slide on anything. Why are they still always so ****** surprised?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:26:57 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #9164 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:04 am »
Why are some students always so shocked when you exclude them from fun activities and games because they consistently broke the rules and avoided doing their work?

I mean I'm used to the sense of entitlement that a lot of these kids have, but that usually results in indignation over not being rewarded for misbehavior, and I expect that. But it's the legit shock that surprises me every time. It's one thing to feel like you shouldn't have to face consequences (to include losing rewards), it's another when you don't ever expect to. Like all they ever expect to get is a scolding, and that's it. I don't really get how kids can get to middle school without understanding life's basic concepts.

Today I wasn't able to complete an activity with a particular class because half of the class thought that they could **** around with the teachers and still get to participate in the fun. I've written down the names and student numbers of every single one of the guilty and made it clear to all of them that they'll be sitting in the teacher's office next week while the rest of the class will get to complete the activity. The shock, man. But, really, what else were they expecting? They're the worst behaved class of their grade level, and I've never, ever let them slide on anything. Why are they still always so ****** surprised?

'Cause they're dumb.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9165 on: November 28, 2018, 07:43:45 am »
R.I.P. Stephen Hillenburg

Another creator of a cultural giant has passed... Spongebob has (at least in my life) played a huge part in connecting me to so many people from high school up until now. As strange as it might seem, Spongebob is a big cultural phenomenon, one that won't soon be forgotten.

This didn't hit as bad as Stan Lee, but all together this is more than I can take.  :sad:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9166 on: November 28, 2018, 07:58:14 am »
R.I.P. Stephen Hillenburg

Another creator of a cultural giant has passed... Spongebob has (at least in my life) played a huge part in connecting me to so many people from high school up until now. As strange as it might seem, Spongebob is a big cultural phenomenon, one that won't soon be forgotten.

This didn't hit as bad as Stan Lee, but all together this is more than I can take.  :sad:

Really?!!  That sucks!! 

I loved Rockos Modern Life. (still do!)  Still one of the funniest cartoons around next to The Angry Beaver.  Spongebob was great up until season 7, then it stopped being 'punny'.  Regardless, SpongeBob will always be great.  So sad!  R.I.P.   :sad:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9167 on: November 29, 2018, 08:46:08 am »
Yesterday, at my travel school. The soccer students were a lot worse than usual. To the point, even the good students who follow along and try gave up, and just started talking to their friends.
After class, I said to my co-teacher: I can't wait until after final exams, where we can just do something fun and relaxing with the students.

And sweet unholy zombie jesus, her reaction was like: I said Dokdo is Japanese land, defecated on King Sejeong's grave then wiped my butt with the Korean flag, all while holding an old imperialist Japanese flag that had "Japan done nothing wrong" written on it; All rolled into 1.

She got really angry that I thought we could have fun, after exams, in my class.
I got told: No, that is not a good idea! The students will be having fun in EVERY OTHER CLASS after exams, so they need to have a break from having fun and do something incredibly boring!

I also got told, I need to make my after exam lessons as boring as possible, because the students will need to study extra hard in my class, so it is okay for them to have fun in all their other classes.

Also, on a good day, the students at this travel school, are really, really unruly and disruptive, without hurting other students or breaking something. A couple weeks ago, some of them even started breaking windows when the Korean teachers were trying to get them to do work.

I debated/discussed what we should/could do after exams in my class out the wazoo with her, she acknowledged that it's unfair, and it's stupid to get them to keep studying after exams (When they won't even study now with exams in less than a week). It just resulted in her getting angry; and eventually me starting to get that way.
We never settled or agreed on anything, and I walked away by saying, I'm going to head back to my main school, and to try discuss it with me again once you've calmed down.

FYI, I have no problem still trying to teach if that's what the school wants me to do. However, with this 1 school, the students don't even study pre-exams and are often super disrespectful, unruly, etc. in a regular class, I can already picture them breaking things / becoming a lot worse if we continue to try and make them study AFTER their final exams.
1 class at this school, drains me of so much energy, it usually takes me about 5 days to feel like I've gained my energy back. It's making me less energetic in my other schools, and effecting my work there.

3 more weeks, 9 hours over those 3 weeks, and then I get at least 2 months away from that school!
There are some great students I will miss over that break, but the bulk of the students make me hate teaching there! >.<

« Reply #9168 on: November 29, 2018, 08:55:41 am »
Yeah Kayos that is a difficult situation.

My honest advice would be to call her bluff and just do what you think is best (do something fun and relaxing with the class).  It sounds like a great idea to relieve the stress of both you and your students.

Hopefully your coteacher will have calmed down by then and won't care too much about what you do.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9169 on: November 29, 2018, 09:00:05 am »
hm. was told by the school manager, who is an utter bitch (i work for a private company in a public school - she's not my boss), i should get to school 20 minutes early to babysit the kids who arrive early, before my first class. i laughed. well, i usually get there 20 minutes early, but from now on i'll specifically make a sign outside the door, that no kids can come in until 5 minutes before the class. her office is opposite my classroom, so i'll let the kids wait outside and annoy her on purpose  :afro:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9170 on: November 29, 2018, 09:01:14 am »
Yeah Kayos that is a difficult situation.

My honest advice would be to call her bluff and just do what you think is best (do something fun and relaxing with the class).  It sounds like a great idea to relieve the stress of both you and your students.

Hopefully your coteacher will have calmed down by then and won't care too much about what you do.

That's my plan at this stage. Last year, and last semester, after exams, there was no problem watching a movie or playing games for the 2 weeks;
Same co-teacher, but this time, it's "They'll be doing that in every other class, so they will need a break from it!"
She is usually a great co-teacher, but I really hope after exams, she will calm down.

• Jayson1979
  • Explorer

• October 20, 2014, 09:20:13 am
    • Yangyang, South Korea
« Reply #9171 on: November 30, 2018, 12:18:14 pm »
So I have been having this issue for a while, and wonder what others think about it. 
I have a woman in my school's office that likes to make comments about how "difficult" it is to hear me speaking in English.  She "jokingly" complains about not being able to understand me. 
Other teachers often ask me to come over to their side of the office for snacks or coffee, but the moment I open my mouth to speak to an English teacher, the Complain Train is off and running.  What should I do about this?  I mean, I can understand her difficulty in understanding me when I speak... but what is the alternative?  Should I join for coffee and snacks and just keep deadly quiet?  Should I decline the snacks and coffee and just stick to myself?  Should I make a comment about how difficult it is for me to understand her when she speaks?  Not sure what to do.  Any advice?

« Reply #9172 on: November 30, 2018, 12:28:09 pm »
So I have been having this issue for a while, and wonder what others think about it. 
I have a woman in my school's office that likes to make comments about how "difficult" it is to hear me speaking in English.  She "jokingly" complains about not being able to understand me. 
Other teachers often ask me to come over to their side of the office for snacks or coffee, but the moment I open my mouth to speak to an English teacher, the Complain Train is off and running.  What should I do about this?  I mean, I can understand her difficulty in understanding me when I speak... but what is the alternative?  Should I join for coffee and snacks and just keep deadly quiet?  Should I decline the snacks and coffee and just stick to myself?  Should I make a comment about how difficult it is for me to understand her when she speaks?  Not sure what to do.  Any advice?

Not sure what you mean by this. "the Complain Train is off and running" I assume she complains in Korean so how do you know, unless you're fluent. If that's the case, maybe it'd be better just to speak Korean

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9173 on: November 30, 2018, 12:29:56 pm »

When my co-workers invite me to eat and drink with them, I usually oblige them but don't speak at all unless spoken to. They tell me that they welcome my English and want me to speak more, but I guarantee you that if I did, nobody would understand. I usually eat with them as a polite gesture, but I don't try to speak unless they actively make the effort first to speak English. You can stick to yourself if you want to (don't make it sound like you don't want their company), or if you do go with them, just don't talk unless they reciprocate the effort. You could point out how difficult it is to understand Korean to that lady, but it runs the risk of coming off wrong and she might have a petty attitude towards you. Last thing you want is an uncomfortable work environment.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9174 on: November 30, 2018, 12:52:02 pm »

I... I don't get it. Like wayook.org user eggieguffer said, if you're able to understand what she's saying as well as you do, then just speak Korean with the other teachers. And if you don't understand what she's saying, because you don't really speak Korean well enough, then maybe she isn't complaining about you and you're just imagining it.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9175 on: November 30, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »

Not sure what you mean by this. "the Complain Train is off and running" I assume she complains in Korean so how do you know, unless you're fluent. If that's the case, maybe it'd be better just to speak Korean
well, i don't know. my korean listening skills are wayyy better than my speaking.

i'd probably just stop joining them. in fact, that's what i did when i worked in public school, as everyone would ignore me and i'd have to sit in silence for abut an hour, being ignored

• Jayson1979
  • Explorer

• October 20, 2014, 09:20:13 am
    • Yangyang, South Korea
« Reply #9176 on: November 30, 2018, 01:37:40 pm »

I... I don't get it. Like wayook.org user eggieguffer said, if you're able to understand what she's saying as well as you do, then just speak Korean with the other teachers. And if you don't understand what she's saying, because you don't really speak Korean well enough, then maybe she isn't complaining about you and you're just imagining it.

Thanks for the response. 
I know she is complaining, not because I can speak Korean, but because my co-teacher relays the message to me.  I am not misunderstanding nor imagining her words.  They have relayed to me verbatim.
She usually makes the comment with a giggle, so I donít think my co-teacher takes it as a complaint.  Since it has happened so often though, probably 6-7 different times now, I am beginning to really have an issue with it. 
I think that my best option is remain silent from now on, and just keep to myself.  I do not want to cause an issue in the office or with my school.   

« Reply #9177 on: November 30, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »

Thanks for the response. 
I know she is complaining, not because I can speak Korean, but because my co-teacher relays the message to me.  I am not misunderstanding nor imagining her words.  They have relayed to me verbatim.
She usually makes the comment with a giggle, so I donít think my co-teacher takes it as a complaint.  Since it has happened so often though, probably 6-7 different times now, I am beginning to really have an issue with it. 
I think that my best option is remain silent from now on, and just keep to myself.  I do not want to cause an issue in the office or with my school.

What are the messages exactly? That she thinks you're speaking English too loudly or just that you're speaking English? She sounds like a real ratbag anyway

« Reply #9178 on: November 30, 2018, 01:47:42 pm »

I find the best way to deal with this is to ask her if she is married in Korean. If she says no you giggle and say how old are you? If she says yes, you say in Korean do you have a picture of your husband? Then she shows you on her cell phone and when she passes it to you, you say he looks younger than you then giggle, grab a choco pie and saunter off back to your desk.

Gotta let the office know who's boss.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #9179 on: November 30, 2018, 01:50:24 pm »

I find the best way to deal with this is to ask her if she is married in Korean. If she says no you giggle and say how old are you? If she says yes, you say in Korean do you have a picture of your husband? Then she shows you on her cell phone and when she passes it to you, you say he looks younger than you then giggle, grab a choco pie and saunter off back to your desk.

Gotta let the office know who's boss.

Ice cold.