Read 2332532 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9140 on: November 23, 2018, 10:00:21 am »
So unfortunately I have to leave Seoul  soon, I've only been here 3 months and I've had some serious health issues (my appendix burst, stomach was so badly infected they couldnt even operate on me (they tried, they just couldnt remove the appendix) so I had to go through 2 1/2 months of treatment and finally I had the operation last week) all while having to work at an absoulute nightmare Hagwon. The teachers at the hagwon are great and a couple i'd consider pretty good friends now, but with how I've been treated and the way they've been screwing me with pay (im on an hourly contract, thats a whole other long story) there's no way it's financially viable for me to stay here at this job.

All in all my rant is that its just got me super depressed, the point was to come out here, make a little bit of money for myself all while having a new experience. I had my 27th birthday not too long ago and it was probably one of the most miserable days of my life as I was working in that hagwon and getting yelled at by the owner for a problem that got sorted within 5 minutes (and was actually her fault). Has anyone had to return home before because their hagwon was so bad? My plan is to mentally and physically recover and come back for the jobs hiring around Feb/March but the entire experience has just left me so dejected. I guess the other feeling is confused, because I honestly don't understand how the owner of my hagwon functions in every day life being that bitter of a person, making all of the staff there totally miserable. She just seemed to train her sights on me more ever since the first time I got out of hospital, she demanded I come back and work the very next day and when I said I need a couple days to recover, she just made my life hell afterwards.

It's a shame as I really enjoy Korea and I think the few times I've been able to actually go out and experience the country I've really enjoyed myself.
sounds horrible. "treat others as you would like to be treated" seems like such a foreign concept to many bosses in korea

« Reply #9141 on: November 23, 2018, 04:30:34 pm »
Deat Korea, if there is no left facing arrow painted on the lane, you can't turn left from that lane, you may nearly collide with the oncoming traffic turning right.  If you are driving a bus full of school children whilst doind said turn, you deserve to die, or at the very least lose your job.

• tunafish91
  • Explorer

• October 01, 2018, 04:43:15 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #9142 on: November 24, 2018, 01:10:35 pm »
So unfortunately I have to leave Seoul  soon, I've only been here 3 months and I've had some serious health issues (my appendix burst, stomach was so badly infected they couldnt even operate on me (they tried, they just couldnt remove the appendix) so I had to go through 2 1/2 months of treatment and finally I had the operation last week) all while having to work at an absoulute nightmare Hagwon. The teachers at the hagwon are great and a couple i'd consider pretty good friends now, but with how I've been treated and the way they've been screwing me with pay (im on an hourly contract, thats a whole other long story) there's no way it's financially viable for me to stay here at this job.

All in all my rant is that its just got me super depressed, the point was to come out here, make a little bit of money for myself all while having a new experience. I had my 27th birthday not too long ago and it was probably one of the most miserable days of my life as I was working in that hagwon and getting yelled at by the owner for a problem that got sorted within 5 minutes (and was actually her fault). Has anyone had to return home before because their hagwon was so bad? My plan is to mentally and physically recover and come back for the jobs hiring around Feb/March but the entire experience has just left me so dejected. I guess the other feeling is confused, because I honestly don't understand how the owner of my hagwon functions in every day life being that bitter of a person, making all of the staff there totally miserable. She just seemed to train her sights on me more ever since the first time I got out of hospital, she demanded I come back and work the very next day and when I said I need a couple days to recover, she just made my life hell afterwards.

It's a shame as I really enjoy Korea and I think the few times I've been able to actually go out and experience the country I've really enjoyed myself.

I'm so sorry that you had to experience this. I don't know why people like that exist.

Just focus on taking care of yourself. I know it's disappointing to leave before you've had the chance to really experience the country in the way that you'd hoped, but it sounds like you're not giving up on that. You just need a break.

Yeah totally, if money wasn't an issue then I may give it a go at sticking it out here for a couple more months to see how it went. But looks like im getting a temp job back in England for a month or two before I hopefully land a jobs starting in Feb, thats the plan at least. It was majorly frustrating because I seemed to feel like every other TEFL teacher out here was earning money but I was LOSING money being at this job.

This woman who ran this hagwon though...my god she's one of the worst people I've ever met. The only thing I'm looking forward to now is writing the horrifically negative review for when I leave.

« Reply #9143 on: November 24, 2018, 01:33:01 pm »

I'm so sorry that you had to experience this. I don't know why people like that exist.

Just focus on taking care of yourself. I know it's disappointing to leave before you've had the chance to really experience the country in the way that you'd hoped, but it sounds like you're not giving up on that. You just need a break.

Yeah totally, if money wasn't an issue then I may give it a go at sticking it out here for a couple more months to see how it went. But looks like im getting a temp job back in England for a month or two before I hopefully land a jobs starting in Feb, thats the plan at least. It was majorly frustrating because I seemed to feel like every other TEFL teacher out here was earning money but I was LOSING money being at this job.

This woman who ran this hagwon though...my god she's one of the worst people I've ever met. The only thing I'm looking forward to now is writing the horrifically negative review for when I leave.

Be careful.  Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:46:40 pm by sligo »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9144 on: November 24, 2018, 01:36:38 pm »
yep. probably the most bullshit law ever to exist

• tunafish91
  • Explorer

• October 01, 2018, 04:43:15 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #9145 on: November 25, 2018, 06:29:26 pm »

Be careful.  Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.

Wait really? Even on an anonymous review submitted to glassdoor? I'd take extra care to make it look as if it wasn't me writing it (I'd have to leave out the part of how I was treated after my first operation as that would make it pretty obvious). What an absolutely insane law, it protects an absolute sociopath...

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #9146 on: November 25, 2018, 07:03:26 pm »

Wait really? Even on an anonymous review submitted to glassdoor? I'd take extra care to make it look as if it wasn't me writing it (I'd have to leave out the part of how I was treated after my first operation as that would make it pretty obvious). What an absolutely insane law, it protects an absolute sociopath...

If you donít intend to come back, let her have it!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #9147 on: November 25, 2018, 09:53:53 pm »
Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.

That just shows the Korean sytem of priorities:

No. 1. making money/ profits.

No. 3956937847. Social justice/ creating a happy society
Catch my drift?

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #9148 on: November 26, 2018, 08:10:50 am »
yep. probably the most bullshit law ever to exist

I dunno, Australia just passed a law or something, that when you make a sausage and bread, and use onions, you have to do it in this order: Bread, onions, sausage, sauce/mustard.
Because someone slipped on a bit of onion that slipped off of one.

« Reply #9149 on: November 26, 2018, 09:46:58 am »
Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.

That just shows the Korean sytem of priorities:

No. 1. making money/ profits.

No. 3956937847. Social justice/ creating a happy society

Well it depends on how the law is applied. Does it also prevent your boss from leaving a review about YOU on a website? What if we were employers and we had a disgruntled employee leaving BS reviews? What if what they said was technically true but lacked context? I'm not saying the law is right, only that it's not the open and shut case you're making it. In fact, in an era of internet mobocracy, it might be the way we're heading. Just because something is different, doesn't make it "stupid" or "wrong".

That being said, there must be some limits to Korea's law as the food delivery apps all allow reviews and some of them have certainly had stuff that could be "damaging". I'm talking 1 star reviews with pictures of bugs or hair and stuff.

« Reply #9150 on: November 26, 2018, 10:04:30 am »
Why are some students always so shocked when you exclude them from fun activities and games because they consistently broke the rules and avoided doing their work?

I mean I'm used to the sense of entitlement that a lot of these kids have, but that usually results in indignation over not being rewarded for misbehavior, and I expect that. But it's the legit shock that surprises me every time. It's one thing to feel like you shouldn't have to face consequences (to include losing rewards), it's another when you don't ever expect to. Like all they ever expect to get is a scolding, and that's it. I don't really get how kids can get to middle school without understanding life's basic concepts.

Today I wasn't able to complete an activity with a particular class because half of the class thought that they could **** around with the teachers and still get to participate in the fun. I've written down the names and student numbers of every single one of the guilty and made it clear to all of them that they'll be sitting in the teacher's office next week while the rest of the class will get to complete the activity. The shock, man. But, really, what else were they expecting? They're the worst behaved class of their grade level, and I've never, ever let them slide on anything. Why are they still always so ****** surprised?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:26:57 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #9151 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:04 am »
Why are some students always so shocked when you exclude them from fun activities and games because they consistently broke the rules and avoided doing their work?

I mean I'm used to the sense of entitlement that a lot of these kids have, but that usually results in indignation over not being rewarded for misbehavior, and I expect that. But it's the legit shock that surprises me every time. It's one thing to feel like you shouldn't have to face consequences (to include losing rewards), it's another when you don't ever expect to. Like all they ever expect to get is a scolding, and that's it. I don't really get how kids can get to middle school without understanding life's basic concepts.

Today I wasn't able to complete an activity with a particular class because half of the class thought that they could **** around with the teachers and still get to participate in the fun. I've written down the names and student numbers of every single one of the guilty and made it clear to all of them that they'll be sitting in the teacher's office next week while the rest of the class will get to complete the activity. The shock, man. But, really, what else were they expecting? They're the worst behaved class of their grade level, and I've never, ever let them slide on anything. Why are they still always so ****** surprised?

'Cause they're dumb.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Gimhae, South Korea
« Reply #9152 on: November 28, 2018, 07:43:45 am »
R.I.P. Stephen Hillenburg

Another creator of a cultural giant has passed... Spongebob has (at least in my life) played a huge part in connecting me to so many people from high school up until now. As strange as it might seem, Spongebob is a big cultural phenomenon, one that won't soon be forgotten.

This didn't hit as bad as Stan Lee, but all together this is more than I can take.  :sad:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9153 on: November 28, 2018, 07:58:14 am »
R.I.P. Stephen Hillenburg

Another creator of a cultural giant has passed... Spongebob has (at least in my life) played a huge part in connecting me to so many people from high school up until now. As strange as it might seem, Spongebob is a big cultural phenomenon, one that won't soon be forgotten.

This didn't hit as bad as Stan Lee, but all together this is more than I can take.  :sad:

Really?!!  That sucks!! 

I loved Rockos Modern Life. (still do!)  Still one of the funniest cartoons around next to The Angry Beaver.  Spongebob was great up until season 7, then it stopped being 'punny'.  Regardless, SpongeBob will always be great.  So sad!  R.I.P.   :sad:

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #9154 on: November 29, 2018, 08:46:08 am »
Yesterday, at my travel school. The soccer students were a lot worse than usual. To the point, even the good students who follow along and try gave up, and just started talking to their friends.
After class, I said to my co-teacher: I can't wait until after final exams, where we can just do something fun and relaxing with the students.

And sweet unholy zombie jesus, her reaction was like: I said Dokdo is Japanese land, defecated on King Sejeong's grave then wiped my butt with the Korean flag, all while holding an old imperialist Japanese flag that had "Japan done nothing wrong" written on it; All rolled into 1.

She got really angry that I thought we could have fun, after exams, in my class.
I got told: No, that is not a good idea! The students will be having fun in EVERY OTHER CLASS after exams, so they need to have a break from having fun and do something incredibly boring!

I also got told, I need to make my after exam lessons as boring as possible, because the students will need to study extra hard in my class, so it is okay for them to have fun in all their other classes.

Also, on a good day, the students at this travel school, are really, really unruly and disruptive, without hurting other students or breaking something. A couple weeks ago, some of them even started breaking windows when the Korean teachers were trying to get them to do work.

I debated/discussed what we should/could do after exams in my class out the wazoo with her, she acknowledged that it's unfair, and it's stupid to get them to keep studying after exams (When they won't even study now with exams in less than a week). It just resulted in her getting angry; and eventually me starting to get that way.
We never settled or agreed on anything, and I walked away by saying, I'm going to head back to my main school, and to try discuss it with me again once you've calmed down.

FYI, I have no problem still trying to teach if that's what the school wants me to do. However, with this 1 school, the students don't even study pre-exams and are often super disrespectful, unruly, etc. in a regular class, I can already picture them breaking things / becoming a lot worse if we continue to try and make them study AFTER their final exams.
1 class at this school, drains me of so much energy, it usually takes me about 5 days to feel like I've gained my energy back. It's making me less energetic in my other schools, and effecting my work there.

3 more weeks, 9 hours over those 3 weeks, and then I get at least 2 months away from that school!
There are some great students I will miss over that break, but the bulk of the students make me hate teaching there! >.<

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #9155 on: November 29, 2018, 08:55:41 am »
Yeah Kayos that is a difficult situation.

My honest advice would be to call her bluff and just do what you think is best (do something fun and relaxing with the class).  It sounds like a great idea to relieve the stress of both you and your students.

Hopefully your coteacher will have calmed down by then and won't care too much about what you do.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9156 on: November 29, 2018, 09:00:05 am »
hm. was told by the school manager, who is an utter bitch (i work for a private company in a public school - she's not my boss), i should get to school 20 minutes early to babysit the kids who arrive early, before my first class. i laughed. well, i usually get there 20 minutes early, but from now on i'll specifically make a sign outside the door, that no kids can come in until 5 minutes before the class. her office is opposite my classroom, so i'll let the kids wait outside and annoy her on purpose  :afro:

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #9157 on: November 29, 2018, 09:01:14 am »
Yeah Kayos that is a difficult situation.

My honest advice would be to call her bluff and just do what you think is best (do something fun and relaxing with the class).  It sounds like a great idea to relieve the stress of both you and your students.

Hopefully your coteacher will have calmed down by then and won't care too much about what you do.

That's my plan at this stage. Last year, and last semester, after exams, there was no problem watching a movie or playing games for the 2 weeks;
Same co-teacher, but this time, it's "They'll be doing that in every other class, so they will need a break from it!"
She is usually a great co-teacher, but I really hope after exams, she will calm down.

• Jayson1979
  • Explorer

• October 20, 2014, 09:20:13 am
    • Yangyang, South Korea
« Reply #9158 on: November 30, 2018, 12:18:14 pm »
So I have been having this issue for a while, and wonder what others think about it. 
I have a woman in my school's office that likes to make comments about how "difficult" it is to hear me speaking in English.  She "jokingly" complains about not being able to understand me. 
Other teachers often ask me to come over to their side of the office for snacks or coffee, but the moment I open my mouth to speak to an English teacher, the Complain Train is off and running.  What should I do about this?  I mean, I can understand her difficulty in understanding me when I speak... but what is the alternative?  Should I join for coffee and snacks and just keep deadly quiet?  Should I decline the snacks and coffee and just stick to myself?  Should I make a comment about how difficult it is for me to understand her when she speaks?  Not sure what to do.  Any advice?

« Reply #9159 on: November 30, 2018, 12:28:09 pm »
So I have been having this issue for a while, and wonder what others think about it. 
I have a woman in my school's office that likes to make comments about how "difficult" it is to hear me speaking in English.  She "jokingly" complains about not being able to understand me. 
Other teachers often ask me to come over to their side of the office for snacks or coffee, but the moment I open my mouth to speak to an English teacher, the Complain Train is off and running.  What should I do about this?  I mean, I can understand her difficulty in understanding me when I speak... but what is the alternative?  Should I join for coffee and snacks and just keep deadly quiet?  Should I decline the snacks and coffee and just stick to myself?  Should I make a comment about how difficult it is for me to understand her when she speaks?  Not sure what to do.  Any advice?

Not sure what you mean by this. "the Complain Train is off and running" I assume she complains in Korean so how do you know, unless you're fluent. If that's the case, maybe it'd be better just to speak Korean