Read 1484256 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9140 on: November 16, 2018, 02:29:55 pm »
I hate rat kids.

:shocked: Teacher, Dogeons hands are in his desk.

:shocked: Teacher, Minsu isn't looking at the board. He's looking outside.

:laugh: Teacher, Minsu is playing with his eraser.

Like, seriously? Put your hand down and STFU, Christ.
yeah but adults do this too

i've told things to co-workers (who i considered friends) in the past - in complete confidence - only to find they went behind my back and ratted on me. it was unbelievable. that's why i don't tell any co-workers absolutely anything anymore

Yeah. I don't tell any coworkers anything even remotely important or sensitive anymore. Even if they're ones I consider friends.

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #9141 on: November 16, 2018, 09:30:40 pm »
I hate rat kids.

:shocked: Teacher, Dogeons hands are in his desk.

:shocked: Teacher, Minsu isn't looking at the board. He's looking outside.

:laugh: Teacher, Minsu is playing with his eraser.

Like, seriously? Put your hand down and STFU, Christ.

Snitches get stitches!  :afro:

I just want to shake him and tell him "You are 50x more distracting than any of that other shit!"

Why don't you? "Worry about yourself, not other people" is a great classroom rule.

• sweetkat
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #9142 on: November 19, 2018, 09:37:41 pm »
its been a while since i've been in Korea. i read these posts sometimes to remind me of what I left behind. I've been in China since 2015.  I thought i'd share whats going on in my classroom at the moment.
I work at a training institute. I have a 'learning' partner.  she is new.  She transferred from her first place of employment with my company because she 'didn't like the bathroom'.  Now, i know in China sometimes excuses are made up so i took that with a grain of salt and gave her the benefit of the doubt.  But her behaviour this past week is quite bizarre.
When she arrived, we had a discussion that we would always be direct with each other. I've had many of my classes for over two years so I know my students pretty well as well as the parents whom we talk with after every class.Ive told her not to do certain things in the class....yes I know about the saving face thing in China but she said she wanted me to be direct. Last week i was grumpy and came in to see she arrived early...to cut stickers.  I had mentioned several times not to cut stickers, kids lose the stickers and then the parents will say the kids didn't get the stickers.  i always gave a reason if i told her not to do something..and then she continues to do it.  So i was a little gruff but she seemed okay. Then otu of the blue she yelled at me what did you say? and since last tuesday has refused to do her job.  Started with having someone do her work for her..then she conveniently got a cold and can't speak.  Chinese always drink hot water...and lots of it. She's stopped doing it altogether even though she's 'lost her voice.'  In class, she has no qualms about going to her boss to come in and do her work for her.   And yet when someone does the work for her, she still attempts to make the conversation about her.  I tried to apologize for my one sentence mistake. But sh ewon't have it.  She is now writing with her fingers on her hands chinese words.  After telling her boss this woman has no interest in 'getting better' and that i haven't seen her drink any water, she comes in with a cold cup of water and pretends to drink it. Her behaviour is more bizarre than anything i've ever seen in my life.  I also think it pisses her off that i'm going on with my classes like nothing is wrong.  What is worse for her and she doesn't know...is ive had several colds, sore throats, over the last three years and never once have i passed off my work to someone else.  She just keeps making herself look worse to everyone else.  I've let go the initial anger of her behaviour for a mistake i made...all of this now is all on her and i just snicker all the time because i've never seen a bigger baby in my life except for my exhusband.  I am beginning to wonder if this behaviour is on purpose to get herself fired. If she gets fired, they have to pay her out.  If she quits she gets nothing.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9143 on: November 20, 2018, 07:49:06 am »
Yeah, she sounds like a nutter.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9144 on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:54 am »
I am beginning to wonder if this behaviour is on purpose to get herself fired. If she gets fired, they have to pay her out.  If she quits she gets nothing.
Employees like that give the rest of us a bad name.  >:(

How many months do they have to payout if they fire her?
Depending on how long the lady plans to hold out, it might just be better to bite the bullet, accept the loss, and fire her.  :undecided:

« Reply #9145 on: November 22, 2018, 02:10:36 pm »
Uuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhh.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHNNNNNALSDKFJALSDGJLLLL'ASDFLIJASDGH

So I'm doing special themed classes with my first graders because this is the free semester where they get to do a lot of fun activities and stuff.

We're on our last one, and it's arguably the most popular one, which is why we saved it for the end of the semester. Let's go out with a big bang, right? But because it's near the end of the semester, and because with fun activities come projects that students have to complete in order to showcase what they did or learned, we have a limited amount of time we can spend on this or that. Makes it super tight, but possible as long as the students are cooperative and stay on task.

When they don't cooperate, we fall behind, and that results in the need to cut certain things out.

I just finished arguing with a teacher who feels that we should cut the English portion of the lesson out and focus entirely on the fun part, because she wants them to experience all of it. I refused. Instead, I insist that we sacrifice the fun parts so that students can learn that dragging their feet in order to get out of doing any work is not going to pay out in my class. I don't want to reward laziness.

So then she goes on to tell me that all of the students were diligent. That no one was copying each others' work, that every student was writing all of their sentences, that the class behavior was on the level, and that the reason why we never get to finish all of the activities is because the drilling exercises are too long.

The drilling part is literally only three minutes. But the amount of time that was wasted due to student laziness averages to about fifteen minutes. I have consistently caught students copying each other, or trying to get away with not writing anything at all. I have had to hover near or over them, scribble or erase their sentences so that they can write their own, move them to different seats so that they can't just copy their neighbors, only to have her tell me that I've hallucinated all of it because I'm only "misunderstanding" the students. I've had to tell her multiple times that just because a student says that he isn't copying his neighbor doesn't mean he's not doing it. I ****** watched him do it, several times. Oh, his answers were different when you checked? That's because I ****** made him change those sentences. I just ****** told you that. Several times. You watched me do it.

She knows none of what she says is true, but for some reason she thought she could gaslight me and convince me of otherwise just so that she can spoil the **** out of these kids. And I'm just sat here, angrily guzzling my tea, and ****** livid about the whole thing. It's one thing to express disagreement. It's another when you try to tell someone they're only imagining things in order to win an argument.

I mean, I can understand her feelings. This is a great lesson, with a great experience for the kids, and she doesn't want the good students to miss out on any of it just because of the behavior of a handful of other students in the class.

But that's ****** life. I'd be willing to compromise, but not at the cost of discipline. I don't understand why any teacher would allow students to walk all over them when all that does is make it harder to deal with them later. Just.  >:(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:53:58 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #9146 on: November 22, 2018, 02:26:42 pm »
Uuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhh.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHNNNNNALSDKFJALSDGJLLLL'ASDFLIJASDGH

So I'm doing special themed classes with my first graders because this is the free semester where they get to do a lot of fun activities and stuff.

We're on our last one, and it's arguably the most popular one, which is why we saved it for the end of the semester. Let's go out with a big bang, right? But because it's near the end of the semester, and because with fun activities comes projects that students have to complete in order to showcase what they did or learned, we have a limited amount of time we can spend on this or that. Makes it super tight, but possible as long as the students are cooperative and stay on task.

When they don't cooperative, we fall behind, and that results in the need to cut certain things out.

I just finished arguing with a teacher who feels that we should cut the English portion of the lesson out and focus entirely on the fun part, because she wants them to experience all of it. I refused. Instead, I insist that we sacrifice the fun parts so that students can learn that dragging their feet in order to get out of doing any work is not going to pay out in my class. I don't want to reward laziness.

So then she goes on to tell me that all of the students were diligent. That no one was copying each others' work, that every student was writing all of their sentences, that the class behavior was on the level, and that the reason why we never get to finish all of the activities is because the drilling exercises are too long.

The drilling part is literally only three minutes. But the amount of time that was wasted due to student laziness averages to about fifteen minutes. I have consistently caught students copying each other, or trying to get away with not writing anything at all. I have had to hover near or over them, scribble or erase their sentences so that they can write their own, move them to different seats so that they can't just copy their neighbors, only to have her tell me that I've hallucinated all of it because I'm only "misunderstanding" the students. I've had to tell her multiple times that just because a student says that he isn't copying his neighbor doesn't mean he's not doing it. I ****** watched him do it, several times. Oh, his answers were different when you checked? That's because I ****** made him change those sentences. I just ****** told you that. Several times. You watched me do it.

She knows none of that is true, but for some reason she thought she could gaslight me and convince me otherwise just so that she can spoil the **** out of these kids. And I'm just sat here, angrily guzzling my tea, and ****** livid about the whole thing. It's one thing to express disagreement. It's another when you try to tell someone they're only imagining things in order to win an argument.

I mean, I can understand her feelings. This is a great lesson, with a great experience for the kids, and she doesn't want the good students to miss out on any of it just because of the behavior of a handful of other students in the class.

But that's ****** life. I'd be willing to compromise, but not at the cost of discipline. I don't understand why any teacher would allow students to walk all over them when all that does is make it harder to deal with them later. Just.  >:(

*quiet empathetic fist bump*

« Reply #9147 on: November 22, 2018, 09:08:25 pm »
*quiet empathetic fist bump*

I swear to gawd I'm gonna wear devil's horns the first week of the spring semester next year.

• tunafish91
  • Explorer

• October 01, 2018, 04:43:15 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #9148 on: November 22, 2018, 10:56:15 pm »
So unfortunately I have to leave Seoul  soon, I've only been here 3 months and I've had some serious health issues (my appendix burst, stomach was so badly infected they couldnt even operate on me (they tried, they just couldnt remove the appendix) so I had to go through 2 1/2 months of treatment and finally I had the operation last week) all while having to work at an absoulute nightmare Hagwon. The teachers at the hagwon are great and a couple i'd consider pretty good friends now, but with how I've been treated and the way they've been screwing me with pay (im on an hourly contract, thats a whole other long story) there's no way it's financially viable for me to stay here at this job.

All in all my rant is that its just got me super depressed, the point was to come out here, make a little bit of money for myself all while having a new experience. I had my 27th birthday not too long ago and it was probably one of the most miserable days of my life as I was working in that hagwon and getting yelled at by the owner for a problem that got sorted within 5 minutes (and was actually her fault). Has anyone had to return home before because their hagwon was so bad? My plan is to mentally and physically recover and come back for the jobs hiring around Feb/March but the entire experience has just left me so dejected. I guess the other feeling is confused, because I honestly don't understand how the owner of my hagwon functions in every day life being that bitter of a person, making all of the staff there totally miserable. She just seemed to train her sights on me more ever since the first time I got out of hospital, she demanded I come back and work the very next day and when I said I need a couple days to recover, she just made my life hell afterwards.

It's a shame as I really enjoy Korea and I think the few times I've been able to actually go out and experience the country I've really enjoyed myself.

• sweetkat
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:35:29 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #9149 on: November 23, 2018, 03:59:53 am »
I am beginning to wonder if this behaviour is on purpose to get herself fired. If she gets fired, they have to pay her out.  If she quits she gets nothing.
Employees like that give the rest of us a bad name.  >:(

How many months do they have to payout if they fire her?
Depending on how long the lady plans to hold out, it might just be better to bite the bullet, accept the loss, and fire her.  :undecided:
I think she is still in the probation period. I think they could fire her at any time right now.  But her boss has had a hard time keeping staff and doesn't get her bonus if so many people quit on her team in a year.  But i can tell her boss is getting frustrated with her behaviour too.  The partner stays in the class even though she 'can't' talk. I ask her to help out the lower level students (if she's at work, she should work).  She leaves the class and asks her boss to do it for her.  Her boss talks to the parents with me at the end. But this partner of mine can't suppress her natural self to want to be in the limelight.  She talks while we are talking to the parents, in front of all the parents.  She also, in our one on one with parents, will explain to parents what she did in class, to make herself look important.  Her boss is starting to find her behaviour ridiculous as well.  it's now been a week of not talking in class or to me...will be interesting to see how this plays out today. By the way, none of my coworkers here in 3 years, have gave up doing their duties in class because they have a sore throat.  They drink lots of hot water and push on.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9150 on: November 23, 2018, 07:33:04 am »
So unfortunately I have to leave Seoul  soon, I've only been here 3 months and I've had some serious health issues (my appendix burst, stomach was so badly infected they couldnt even operate on me (they tried, they just couldnt remove the appendix) so I had to go through 2 1/2 months of treatment and finally I had the operation last week) all while having to work at an absoulute nightmare Hagwon. The teachers at the hagwon are great and a couple i'd consider pretty good friends now, but with how I've been treated and the way they've been screwing me with pay (im on an hourly contract, thats a whole other long story) there's no way it's financially viable for me to stay here at this job.

All in all my rant is that its just got me super depressed, the point was to come out here, make a little bit of money for myself all while having a new experience. I had my 27th birthday not too long ago and it was probably one of the most miserable days of my life as I was working in that hagwon and getting yelled at by the owner for a problem that got sorted within 5 minutes (and was actually her fault). Has anyone had to return home before because their hagwon was so bad? My plan is to mentally and physically recover and come back for the jobs hiring around Feb/March but the entire experience has just left me so dejected. I guess the other feeling is confused, because I honestly don't understand how the owner of my hagwon functions in every day life being that bitter of a person, making all of the staff there totally miserable. She just seemed to train her sights on me more ever since the first time I got out of hospital, she demanded I come back and work the very next day and when I said I need a couple days to recover, she just made my life hell afterwards.

It's a shame as I really enjoy Korea and I think the few times I've been able to actually go out and experience the country I've really enjoyed myself.

That sounds pretty terrible. Unfortunate.

Hagwons are such a gamble. I have friends who have great hagwon situations. And then you hear the stories like yours. You can give it another go. Obviously if you didn't have the health issue you would have been in a position maybe to change jobs or something. But nothing is stopping you from going home, getting right and then coming back again. Either way, I'm sorry you had such a shit experience. One of the worst, by the sounds of it.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #9151 on: November 23, 2018, 09:47:11 am »

I'm so sorry that you had to experience this. I don't know why people like that exist.

Just focus on taking care of yourself. I know it's disappointing to leave before you've had the chance to really experience the country in the way that you'd hoped, but it sounds like you're not giving up on that. You just need a break.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9152 on: November 23, 2018, 10:00:21 am »

sounds horrible. "treat others as you would like to be treated" seems like such a foreign concept to many bosses in korea

« Reply #9153 on: November 23, 2018, 04:30:34 pm »
Deat Korea, if there is no left facing arrow painted on the lane, you can't turn left from that lane, you may nearly collide with the oncoming traffic turning right.  If you are driving a bus full of school children whilst doind said turn, you deserve to die, or at the very least lose your job.

• tunafish91
  • Explorer

• Seoul, Korea
« Reply #9154 on: November 24, 2018, 01:10:35 pm »

I'm so sorry that you had to experience this. I don't know why people like that exist.

Just focus on taking care of yourself. I know it's disappointing to leave before you've had the chance to really experience the country in the way that you'd hoped, but it sounds like you're not giving up on that. You just need a break.

Yeah totally, if money wasn't an issue then I may give it a go at sticking it out here for a couple more months to see how it went. But looks like im getting a temp job back in England for a month or two before I hopefully land a jobs starting in Feb, thats the plan at least. It was majorly frustrating because I seemed to feel like every other TEFL teacher out here was earning money but I was LOSING money being at this job.

This woman who ran this hagwon though...my god she's one of the worst people I've ever met. The only thing I'm looking forward to now is writing the horrifically negative review for when I leave.

« Reply #9155 on: November 24, 2018, 01:33:01 pm »

Yeah totally, if money wasn't an issue then I may give it a go at sticking it out here for a couple more months to see how it went. But looks like im getting a temp job back in England for a month or two before I hopefully land a jobs starting in Feb, thats the plan at least. It was majorly frustrating because I seemed to feel like every other TEFL teacher out here was earning money but I was LOSING money being at this job.

This woman who ran this hagwon though...my god she's one of the worst people I've ever met. The only thing I'm looking forward to now is writing the horrifically negative review for when I leave.

Be careful.  Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:46:40 pm by sligo »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9156 on: November 24, 2018, 01:36:38 pm »
yep. probably the most bullshit law ever to exist

• tunafish91
  • Explorer

• Seoul, Korea
« Reply #9157 on: November 25, 2018, 06:29:26 pm »

Be careful.  Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.

Wait really? Even on an anonymous review submitted to glassdoor? I'd take extra care to make it look as if it wasn't me writing it (I'd have to leave out the part of how I was treated after my first operation as that would make it pretty obvious). What an absolutely insane law, it protects an absolute sociopath...

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9158 on: November 25, 2018, 07:03:26 pm »

Wait really? Even on an anonymous review submitted to glassdoor? I'd take extra care to make it look as if it wasn't me writing it (I'd have to leave out the part of how I was treated after my first operation as that would make it pretty obvious). What an absolutely insane law, it protects an absolute sociopath...

If you donít intend to come back, let her have it!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #9159 on: November 25, 2018, 09:53:53 pm »
Korean libel laws are very much in her favour regardless of truth.  If you harm her business, she could sue you.

That just shows the Korean sytem of priorities:

No. 1. making money/ profits.

No. 3956937847. Social justice/ creating a happy society
Catch my drift?