Read 1549082 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9060 on: November 06, 2018, 10:41:07 am »
My massive hypersensitivity to caffeine.  Some days (mornings) I can drink 1/4 of a cup and be bouncing off the walls till 5.  Other days, I can pound the iced pouch-o-coffee after 2 PM, and sleep like a baby later that night.  It's either I'm fidgety from it, or it has zero effect.   

Same. It's the main reason why I have to water my coffees down. There's no such thing as a full cup of coffee in my world unless it's a blended drink. My go-to medium for that is cocoa, so my cup of "coffee" is basically 25% coffee and 75% cocoa and milk. If I drink too much caffeine (which is really easy for me to do), I'm no use to anyone because I'm 200% energy and 0% cognitive abilities. And I'll be up all night.

If I drink more caffeine before I realize I'm in this state, I'll end up with inflammation in my chest that won't go away for a couple of days.  :cry:

I used this same lesson at my lower level school just now, and it went just fine. My CT said it was good, even with some terms being a little difficult.

Now, I'm going to use a lower level lesson when I go back, and if one student says "Teacher, easy!" I'm gonna look at my other CT like

I'm already there. Samuel L. Jackson is basically my spirit animal at this point.

It really does come down to the attitudes of both the students and teachers. The kind of environment these kids learn in makes a difference.

JV gets a pass (I think) but remember black emojis are in fact digital blackface.  :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyq6fTYxztc

Good to see licence payers' money going to useful causes.

(trigger warning, youtube contains historical blackface scenes which might traumatise you)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:42:46 am by eggieguffer »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9061 on: November 06, 2018, 10:56:38 am »

JV gets a pass (I think) but remember black emojis are in fact digital blackface.  :wink:

(trigger warning, youtube contains historical blackface scenes which might traumatise you)

I do. Not sure how I feel about that video though. I think it depends on the context that emojis are used in. In this situation, I don't think it would be bad if a white person used that Sam Jackson gif.
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9062 on: November 06, 2018, 11:38:11 am »
I do. Not sure how I feel about that video though. I think it depends on the context that emojis are used in. In this situation, I don't think it would be bad if a white person used that Sam Jackson gif.

Eggie is being immaculately sarcastic.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9063 on: November 06, 2018, 11:43:01 am »
Samuel L. Jackson is an icon. He's the one who mastered the word "motherf*cker" in the way that it was meant to be used and appreciated. His wild-eyed, no-nonsense facial expressions over anything ****** stupid is beyond reproach.

He's basically every teacher's kindred spirit. Once you hit level Jackson in your classroom, you can't really go back.

« Reply #9064 on: November 06, 2018, 11:44:23 am »

I was really on the fence for a lot of that clip. Like, context is super important in gauging whether something is okay or not. And like, blackface is, in pretty much every circumstance, inappropriate and rude. It's just not necessary.

The biggest problem with that clip is the clickbaity 'black emojis and gifs are digital blackface' bit, but then at the end, she dials it waaaaay back and says, basically 'just think about why you're using this particular emoji or gif.'

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with telling people that they should at least just examine their reasons for doing something, or think about why they're doing it. And I think there would be a lot fewer crappy people around if people did just that.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9065 on: November 06, 2018, 11:47:35 am »

Eggie is being immaculately sarcastic.
"Immaculastic"

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9066 on: November 06, 2018, 11:49:27 am »
French for "I have an elastic CUL."
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9067 on: November 06, 2018, 11:53:40 am »
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:10:25 pm by kyndo »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9068 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:03 am »
quote author=CO2 link=topic=99098.msg774590#msg774590 date=1541476167]
French for "I havBLARRGGGGGGGGGe an elastic CUL."
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=114506.msg773055#msg773055
 :angel:
[/quote

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9069 on: November 06, 2018, 12:01:42 pm »
That blackface emoji video is literally the end of humanity. Might as well all nuke the entire planet.

Woman in video "So that's my view what do you think?"

Youtube comments for this video are disabled.

Just end it.

We've gone past the point of no return.
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #9070 on: November 06, 2018, 12:06:38 pm »
That blackface emoji video is literally the end of humanity. Might as well all nuke the entire planet.

Woman in video "So that's my view what do you think?"

Youtube comments for this video are disabled.

Just end it.

We've gone past the point of no return.

Look at the likes to dislikes ratio

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9071 on: November 06, 2018, 12:10:40 pm »
Look at the likes to dislikes ratio

Right? I love Samuel L.  Sometimes I use a black person, sometimes I use a white woman, or a bloody frog.

Samuel L. Jackson is an actor, his entire career is based on him trying to get us to relate to the emotions and feelings that he portrays on screen. We relate, and we use the GIF to show others how we feel.

This is shit you learn in pre-school; how to relate to other's emotions.

There's a word for that........... ah right, empathy.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9072 on: November 06, 2018, 12:33:05 pm »
Samuel L. Jackson is an actor, his entire career is based on him trying to get us to relate to the emotions and feelings that he portrays on screen. We relate, and we use the GIF to show others how we feel.

'Black people are not there just for your entertainment'. Oh, I mean, apart from all the ones who are.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9073 on: November 06, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »

'Black people are not there just for your entertainment'. Oh, I mean, apart from all the ones who are.

Don't you know that any entertainers that you see that are black are kept in cages and prodded with stun guns? Also, they get fed two bowls of oatmeal, a banana and 3 maxim sticks every day as rations.

They certainly aren't like white entertainers. They're basically indentured servants.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9074 on: November 06, 2018, 01:05:32 pm »

She showed a picture of a white eoman with dreads.  Does that mean black people shouldn't straighten their hair?
She frowned on black people (and Michael Jackson)being usef in memes by white folk.  Does that mean black folk can't use memes of white people (and Rachel Dolezal) in memes?

I smell hypocrisy here....

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9075 on: November 06, 2018, 01:08:14 pm »

She showed a picture of a white eoman with dreads.  Does that mean black people shouldn't straighten their hair?
She frowned on black people (and Michael Jackson)being usef in memes by white folk.  Does that mean black folk can't use memes of white people (and Rachel Dolezal) in memes?

I smell hypocrisy here....
"Jealous boyfriend" is now "whites only".
"Success kid", "Most Interesting Man", and "Willy Wonka": same!

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9076 on: November 06, 2018, 04:42:44 pm »
Nearly 2 billion children – about 93 percent of the world’s children under the age of 15 – breathe toxic, putrid air that’s so polluted it puts their health and well-being at serious risk, a new report said.

Many of the children die: The United Nations' World Health Organization (WHO) estimates 600,000 children died in 2016 from lower respiratory infections caused by dirty air.

“Polluted air is poisoning millions of children and ruining their lives,” said Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the WHO. “This is inexcusable. Every child should be able to breathe clean air so they can grow and fulfill their full potential.”

Air pollution can affect children's cognitive ability and can also trigger asthma as well as cancer. Children who have been exposed to high levels of air pollution may be at greater risk for chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular disease later in life.

The problem is most severe in low- and middle-income countries, the report said, primarily nations in Africa, Southeast Asia, the eastern Mediterranean and western Pacific.

Park Won-soon, mayor of Seoul, South Korea, said "the WHO report clearly shows that adults' daily behaviors are threatening the health of innocent children. No single adult on the planet can be free from the pain suffered by our children due to air pollution."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/10/30/air-pollution-93-percent-worlds-children-breath-polluted-air/1811587002/

« Reply #9077 on: November 06, 2018, 04:53:07 pm »
Nearly 2 billion children – about 93 percent of the world’s children under the age of 15 – breathe toxic, putrid air that’s so polluted it puts their health and well-being at serious risk, a new report said.

Many of the children die: The United Nations' World Health Organization (WHO) estimates 600,000 children died in 2016 from lower respiratory infections caused by dirty air.

“Polluted air is poisoning millions of children and ruining their lives,” said Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the WHO. “This is inexcusable. Every child should be able to breathe clean air so they can grow and fulfill their full potential.”

Air pollution can affect children's cognitive ability and can also trigger asthma as well as cancer. Children who have been exposed to high levels of air pollution may be at greater risk for chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular disease later in life.

The problem is most severe in low- and middle-income countries, the report said, primarily nations in Africa, Southeast Asia, the eastern Mediterranean and western Pacific.

Park Won-soon, mayor of Seoul, South Korea, said "the WHO report clearly shows that adults' daily behaviors are threatening the health of innocent children. No single adult on the planet can be free from the pain suffered by our children due to air pollution."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/10/30/air-pollution-93-percent-worlds-children-breath-polluted-air/1811587002/

There's a thread right below this on pollution

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9078 on: November 08, 2018, 09:53:03 am »
Ohhhh man.... OHHH MAN you would not belieeeve what I just found out.

My second school told me I won't be doing speaking tests... at all.

Instead, they've opted to have the students memorize and recite dialogue.

WHY AM I HERE!?!?  :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

This literally means that everything I've taught this semester won't even be put to the test. WHAT THE ACTUAL @#$%!?!?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:59:22 am by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9079 on: November 08, 2018, 10:13:08 am »
^ haha. well, i just had 2 days of open classes for my after school program. a grand total of 0 parents and 0 teachers showed up, which shows just how little anyone cares about any of it