Read 1887218 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #9000 on: October 30, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »
One of the few times I need to use the toilet at work to take a dump and both toilets on the first floor are absolutely blown out. Bowl is filled to the brim with brown shit water and turds. Both toilets. Run upstairs.....both toilets blown out. One has overflowed. It must have been the same person going around each toilet after he blocked the other ones up. How is this possible? Tempted to use the ladies facilities.

There is no one at my place of work under the age of 18.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #9001 on: October 30, 2018, 04:09:14 pm »
Harry Potter=Halloween. The older you are, the less you should care about it until at some point you need to gracefully hand it over to the next generation to enjoy and help facilitate their fun.

Wrong!

Adult Hallowe'en parties can be absolute blasts if they are planned and executed PROPERLY... My mates and I (right up and into our 40's) used to throw legendary Hallowe'en parties back in my city in Canada - even made the local media. And, our events were private - held in our old house which was an old late Victorian style place with 3 floors, so there was lots of room.

Proper attention to detail, ticketing (we charged a flat $20 per head which covered everything...), costumes required, a serious mix/assortment of people, prizes for best/weirdest costumes, great music, food (ours were catered by a local restaurant), kegs of local craft beer (15), security, and enough toilets, all contributed to a fantastic soiree. These parties cost around $4000 to put on, so the entry fee helped us break even; any extra was used to take the people who came over the next day to help us clean up out for a big dinner.

We held these parties every year for 13 years, and attendance was always around 150-200 people each time; the record attendance was our 6th bash which had 230 people show up to our house. Never had ANY hassles with the cops, or agro of any kind among the guests - everyone was too busy having a tremendous time.

So spare me the 'Hallowe'en is only a children's thing' bullshit... Perhaps you've never been to a real adult Hallowe'en party...? If  that's the case, maybe you should give it a go. If you have been to one, and it wasn't great, maybe you just went to/go to lame parties...!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:11:24 pm by Titus Groan »

« Reply #9002 on: October 30, 2018, 04:36:25 pm »
That's what Mardi Gras, New Years, Cinco de Drinko, and St. Paddy's are for.

As I said, Halloween once every 4 years or so when you're over 30.

At least you did it right and kept it private.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:38:10 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #9003 on: October 30, 2018, 04:52:44 pm »
But it's impossible not to get disheartened when you see that you're doing this thing, and even though you're getting paid for it, it's really just kind of... not contributing anything. To anyone.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't feel bad

Your typical Korean office worker will be spending 80% of their time:

- Writing up reports that get filled away and are never looked at again.
- Making and beautifying overblown, hour long presentations for the the boss whenever he/she
  asks an arbitrary questions.
- Going to hweshiks
- Attempting to look as busy as possible
- Warming chairs while sitting in pointless meetings

It's no secret that South Korea, while one of the most overworked, has one of the lowest levels of productivity in the OECD.
http://annals.yonsei.ac.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=1687

There will be at least one, or a group of kids, in your class who learn something new from each of your lessons, whether you're teaching passively or actively. As long as you're doing your best with what you have, you've no reason to feel disheartened or ashamed.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #9004 on: October 30, 2018, 07:20:33 pm »

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9005 on: October 31, 2018, 08:14:52 am »
Itaewon was indeed a sh*t show on Saturday.

I too have turned into the teacher I swore I would never be. Thankfully my days are short, and it's almost time to go home but teaching in Korea has convinced me that I never want to teach again.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9006 on: October 31, 2018, 08:21:34 am »

I too have turned into the teacher I swore I would never be. Thankfully my days are short, and it's almost time to go home but teaching in Korea has convinced me that I never want to teach again.
I am done, too. I feel the same way. Well, teaching kids. Do you ever look back and think, "how did I do this for so long?"
because I do

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
« Reply #9007 on: October 31, 2018, 08:50:00 am »

I am done, too. I feel the same way. Well, teaching kids. Do you ever look back and think, "how did I do this for so long?"
because I do

I've gotten to the point as well where I tell myself and others "I would stay in Korea if I didn't have to teach." There are some annoying things about living here, but it's harder to turn a blind eye when you're in school.
The World Ends With You

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9008 on: October 31, 2018, 09:02:39 am »
well, i enjoy teaching adults and will continue to do so. teaching kids though... never again

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9009 on: October 31, 2018, 09:49:40 am »

because I do

Every single day!!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #9010 on: October 31, 2018, 11:13:17 am »
Titus Groan:
So spare me the 'Hallowe'en is only a children's thing' bullshit... Perhaps you've never been to a real adult Hallowe'en party...? If  that's the case, maybe you should give it a go. If you have been to one, and it wasn't great, maybe you just went to/go to lame parties...!

That' right, man.  Adult parties that REQUIRE guests to dress in a costume aren't lame!  It's all subjective.  As an adult I have no interest in wearing a costume and find the people that really get into it annoying.  That's just how I feel.  If I get invited to an event that insists that I wear a costume because same lameo thinks it's "Fun and wacky!" you can be assured I can't be bothered.  All the power to you if you're into that. 

« Reply #9011 on: October 31, 2018, 11:57:31 am »
If I meet someone for the first time and the first thing they talk about is either Tinder or Cat Cafe/SJW type BS, I immediately file this person under the category of "Disregard".

"Hey, nice to meet you"
"OMG you won't believe the white privilege/mansplaining I just encountered"

*flash to inside of my head*- immediate thoughts of alcohol and classic Simpsons episodes

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
« Reply #9012 on: October 31, 2018, 12:13:38 pm »
Following my post about consulting in the "Friday Ramblings" thread, the ones who did my consulting told me several interesting bits of info. One of which was that putting one's hands in their pockets is considered a sign of disinterest or disrespect (I've only been doing this since I've been wearing a hoodie these past two weeks). I appreciate the advice to not do that, but at the same time my CTs have been aware of this and several other things that they talked about for WEEKS now, and at no point do they think it's a good idea to tell me?

"Oh, but JVPrice, what about...?"

No. My CTs were nodding in silent agreement as I was given this information. I wouldn't even be angry with a lot of these criticisms if they weren't things my CTs could've told me. :huh:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:26:43 pm by JVPrice »
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9013 on: October 31, 2018, 01:10:37 pm »
If I meet someone for the first time and the first thing they talk about is either Tinder or Cat Cafe/SJW type BS, I immediately file this person under the category of "Disregard".

"Hey, nice to meet you"
"OMG you won't believe the white privilege/mansplaining I just encountered"

*flash to inside of my head*- immediate thoughts of alcohol and classic Simpsons episodes

I.... what?

« Reply #9014 on: October 31, 2018, 01:16:31 pm »
No. My CTs were nodding in silent agreement as I given this information. I wouldn't even be angry with a lot of these criticisms if they weren't things my CTs could've told me. :huh:

A lot of people have a hard time being direct with their coworkers about stuff like this, so they'll wait for someone with authority to say something, or just agree with the collective should the subject come up.

I will say, though, that sometimes people will just agree with the collective because of conformity and not because they actually agree with it.

With that being said, apparently crossing your legs while sitting with others (one leg over the other, not when you're on the floor) is considered rude, too. I only learned about that this year because no one ever said anything to me about it. I just happened to be around when a CT scolded a student for crossing her legs, and I was all like, "What, that's not allowed?"

« Reply #9015 on: October 31, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »
No. My CTs were nodding in silent agreement as I given this information. I wouldn't even be angry with a lot of these criticisms if they weren't things my CTs could've told me. :huh:

A lot of people have a hard time being direct with their coworkers about stuff like this, so they'll wait for someone with authority to say something, or just agree with the collective should the subject come up.

I will say, though, that sometimes people will just agree with the collective because of conformity and not because they actually agree with it.

With that being said, apparently crossing your legs while sitting with others (one leg over the other, not when you're on the floor) is considered rude, too. I only learned about that this year because no one ever said anything to me about it. I just happened to be around when a CT scolded a student for crossing her legs, and I was all like, "What, that's not allowed?"

Yeah. But for reals, a lot of these little faux pas are only a problem if someone decides to make them a problem.

Example: I once had a deeply unpleasant manager (who I mentioned in the other thread about waygook.org user JVPrice's consulting experience) who REALLY wanted to get me fired / not renewed.

So, during a big 'consulting'ish meeting, the following complaints were brought up:
- that I didn't go into neighbouring classrooms to chat with teachers [who I didn't know] in between classes
- that I worn jeans
- that I put my hands in my pockets
- that I didn't smile enough outside of class
- that I brought a water bottle to class
- that I didn't greet the VP every morning in her office
- that I didn't speak Korean well enough

And all of these things are things I had been doing / have continued to do before and since then. And they're literally not things that should be made an issue of. Nobody - sincerely nobody- has ever complained about or mentioned any of those things to me, ever. Except for that one person, who wanted to cause a stink.

Contrary to what some people on this website might have people believe, the vast majority of Koreans are not  hyper-dogmatic 'this is wrong / this is right' people who nitpick every little thing. BUT! Those kind of people do exist. And they can make your working life absolutely miserable.

« Reply #9016 on: October 31, 2018, 01:32:02 pm »
I'm not one to b*tch much.  It usually take A LOT to annoy me, but.....  Why is it that the traveling Violin Teacher HAS to use my classroom when the auditorium is empty?  The kids literally drag their music stands into my room from the storage closet in the auditorium.  The EMPTY auditorium.  Did I mention that it's EMPTY?! She's also the type when she talks, she yells.  She also constantly clears her throat.  And it's not what you think... it's the ajishi style hack 'cuuuuuuuuuuk!

**sigh** 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9017 on: October 31, 2018, 01:32:49 pm »
Contrary to what some people on this website might have people believe, the vast majority of Koreans are not  hyper-dogmatic 'this is wrong / this is right' people who nitpick every little thing. BUT! Those kind of people do exist. And they can make your working life absolutely miserable.

I think that is more "Some people will nitpick every little thing if they don't like you, and if they are the highest ranked person in the room everybody else will nod in agreement".

This gives the illusion of a strict code of conduct the everybody is cool with, but it is really just lack of willingness to go against a senior.

« Reply #9018 on: October 31, 2018, 01:38:56 pm »

I think that is more "Some people will nitpick every little thing if they don't like you, and if they are the highest ranked person in the room everybody else will nod in agreement".

This gives the illusion of a strict code of conduct the everybody is cool with, but it is really just lack of willingness to go against a senior.

Absolutely.

« Reply #9019 on: October 31, 2018, 01:45:26 pm »

You beat me to it.

Honestly, though you shouldn't be walking around with your hands in your pockets, when at work, I doubt anyone truly gives a crap.
It's basically someone with a modicum of authority taking another opportunity to remind everyone who is in charge, lest they forget.