Read 1733295 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8620 on: September 03, 2018, 11:28:13 am »
I wasn't expecting much from a microwavable chicken meal. I thought I had my expectations low enough.

But nothing could have prepared me for what amounted to cardboard marinated in pepper-laced sweat and mildew.

This is blasphemy.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #8621 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:56 am »
My phone doesn't even give me the option to translate, or to copy the messages so I can translate them.
So, my emergency messages are meaningless to me, as I'll never understand them lol.

Screen shot -> Google translate -> camera icon -> folder icon -> choose photo -> select text -> say "well no sh!t, Sherlock, it is hot/cold/raining!"

The last one I got, actually said it was raining at a place 2 hours away from me lol. (according to my co-teacher's translation haha)

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8622 on: September 03, 2018, 11:50:16 am »
My phone doesn't even give me the option to translate, or to copy the messages so I can translate them.
So, my emergency messages are meaningless to me, as I'll never understand them lol.

Screen shot -> Google translate -> camera icon -> folder icon -> choose photo -> select text -> say "well no sh!t, Sherlock, it is hot/cold/raining!"

The last one I got, actually said it was raining at a place 2 hours away from me lol. (according to my co-teacher's translation haha)

I travel all over the country for work, so I always get out-of-town messages.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #8623 on: September 03, 2018, 12:03:09 pm »

I travel all over the country for work, so I always get out-of-town messages.

I'm usually just nearby my town. But we all got one at work sometime last week, I asked my co-teacher, and it went like this:
Me: What does this say?
Co-T: A place 2 hours away is raining.
Me: Hard rain or something?
Co-T: Nope. Nothing to worry about. Even I'm surprised this was on the emergency message thing.

« Reply #8624 on: September 04, 2018, 09:26:12 am »
I don't really get why some people think that just because you've known each other for a time that they can suddenly be disrespectful towards and unmindful of you. I get it if you've got a comfortable enough relationship where you can tease each other, like how friends do or whatever. But this is not one of those things.

Some people just believe that being friendly equates to being meek.

I'm tolerant of the students testing me. The majority of them lack the life experience to understand how certain actions and behaviors are going to get different results from people with different backgrounds. It's an important learning experience for them.

But adults. Gawd, I hate people sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:39:45 am by Chinguetti »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Tampa, FL
« Reply #8625 on: September 04, 2018, 09:41:13 am »
I don't really get why some people think that just because you've known each other for a time that they can suddenly be disrespectful towards and unmindful of you. I get it if you've got a comfortable enough relationship where you can tease each other, like how friends do or whatever. But this is not one of those things.

Experienced something like this at the beginning of the year. A close friend of mine who I'd known for 7 years had become some kind of monster I couldn't recognize (my other friends saw it too). I blame mental issues, because the behavior made absolutely no sense from a logical standpoint.

I also don't like it when Koreans try to treat you the same in some regards, but different in others. It can be really annoying. We foreigners don't just accept things (especially crap) from people and bear with it.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #8626 on: September 04, 2018, 09:48:18 am »
I also don't like it when Koreans try to treat you the same in some regards, but different in others. It can be really annoying. We foreigners don't just accept things (especially crap) from people and bear with it.
In fairness, we often treat them the same sometimes and differently in others, often subconciously. There's times to let them know and there's also times to let it slide.

« Reply #8627 on: September 04, 2018, 09:54:24 am »
Experienced something like this at the beginning of the year. A close friend of mine who I'd known for 7 years had become some kind of monster I couldn't recognize (my other friends saw it too). I blame mental issues, because the behavior made absolutely no sense from a logical standpoint.

Yeah, I've had to cut friends and family from my life because of the same thing, but in those instances they treated pretty much everyone like crap. Sometimes it was because of separate issues that took them down destructive paths that they refused to get help for, but sometimes it's because they've always been toxic assholes. 

I was basically ranting about folks in the latter category. The worst ones are the two-faced who wait to get a feel for who they think you are before making a move. I find it worse here because the hierarchical social structure kind of encourages and reinforces bullying, while a lack of understanding in cultural differences has people misreading and therefore miscalculating others and how they expect them to behave. Always seems to come as a shock to them, but it's like... I'm not ****** Korean. You can't read me the same way you do a Korean, it's not going to work out the way you expect, lol.

Another reason why I feel like I should move on to a different area. Too many of the wrong kind of folks have gotten too comfortable where I'm currently assigned, and I hate having to remind them that I'm not their punching bag.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:58:25 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #8628 on: September 04, 2018, 10:35:55 am »
I thought I'd finally found a nice place to live.  Upgraded from a one room to a brand new officetel.  Lovely thick walls.  Bliss.

I can hear my upstairs neighbour walking around.  A little bit annoying but it comes with the territory I suppose.  Although I really wish they would walk on the balls of the feet instead of their heels.  I do that.  It's a considerate thing to do when living in an apartment.  But I can live with it.

But now I can smell smoke in my apartment.  Someone around me is smoking and that really pisses me off.  The buidling managers know about it because they've put up signs everywhere.  I've written notes and put them up (as well as other people).  The depressing thing is that the smokers won't stop.  Why would they?  There's no incentive for them to stop, safe in the knowledge there's no punishment.

The sad reality of apartment living  :sad:

« Reply #8629 on: September 04, 2018, 01:04:53 pm »
I thought I'd finally found a nice place to live.  Upgraded from a one room to a brand new officetel.  Lovely thick walls.  Bliss.

I can hear my upstairs neighbour walking around.  A little bit annoying but it comes with the territory I suppose.  Although I really wish they would walk on the balls of the feet instead of their heels.  I do that.  It's a considerate thing to do when living in an apartment.  But I can live with it.

But now I can smell smoke in my apartment.  Someone around me is smoking and that really pisses me off.  The buidling managers know about it because they've put up signs everywhere.  I've written notes and put them up (as well as other people).  The depressing thing is that the smokers won't stop.  Why would they?  There's no incentive for them to stop, safe in the knowledge there's no punishment.

The sad reality of apartment living  :sad:

A Korean man's world ends at his nose!  Selfishness is the order here, and rules are only followed when someone is watching.

« Reply #8630 on: September 04, 2018, 01:08:13 pm »

A Korean man's world ends at his nose!  Selfishness is the order here, and rules are only followed when someone is watching.

Oh please, you make it sound like Biff Tannen's Hill Valley or some shit.

I won't even get into the bigotry of the first part.

« Reply #8631 on: September 04, 2018, 01:10:58 pm »

how about you don't get into any part, of any thread, and take your patriotic bollocks away with you, and give people a break from your broken record nationalistic nonesense?

« Reply #8632 on: September 04, 2018, 01:35:55 pm »

how about you don't get into any part, of any thread, and take your patriotic bollocks away with you, and give people a break from your broken record nationalistic nonesense?

Is... it it possible that you're both taking extreme positions, and the reality may be somewhere in the middle?

« Reply #8633 on: September 04, 2018, 01:43:30 pm »

Is... it it possible that you're both taking extreme positions, and the reality may be somewhere in the middle?

Very possibly, but i thought there was an unspoken rule that Steelrails keeps his nose out of this thread, or at the very least declines to wave the flag!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #8634 on: September 04, 2018, 02:01:34 pm »

When's your birthday? hahaha

« Reply #8635 on: September 04, 2018, 02:07:18 pm »

Martin seems to have not noticed selfish things evident like....

-not moving out of the way of ambulances on the road (I would hate to be in any serious condition where I'd have to rely on getting to a hospital fast by ambulance)
-constantly parking in the most ridiculous places, like entrances to car parks, on street corners, across pedestrian crossings, disabled parking spots etc.
-pushing in queues because you're older and male or just generally pushing past people(something you'd get a fast rebuke and possibly a smack in most other civilised countries)
etc
tc
c

A few years back my fiend and I were waiting for an elevator.  We wanted to go down 3 floors.  When it came, it was full, several people refused to make eye contact.  The guy right at the front waved at use to say "no" while frantically pushing the close button.  We had to wait for the next one.

My friend was in a wheelchair!!!!

« Reply #8636 on: September 04, 2018, 02:10:52 pm »

It is the ranting forum, but this wasn't your rant. This was your response to someone's rant. Why don't you take your bigotry away and give people a break from your incessant negativity and unhelpful bitterness? Did you actually offer anything constructive? Obviously things should slide on the rant forum, but there's a line where you can't expect to not have some pushback.

For someone who whines and moans that Koreans stereotype foreigners, you sure like to stereotype Koreans.

Anyways, hopefully the residents of OP's building can get lucky and somehow track down the offender, and then the landlord can boot them.

« Reply #8637 on: September 04, 2018, 02:20:18 pm »
Martin seems to have not noticed selfish things evident like....
Martin seems to recall having noticed a bunch of selfish things in his home country and other countries and amongst foreigners in Korea, of varying nationalities.

Martin seems to recall the lessons he learned in school, from his parents, and from his friends, that you say that individual is selfish and you don't stereotype people or judge their ethnicity/country.

Martin also seems to recall various lessons in life that we're often unaware of our own selfish behvaiors, whether as individuals, or if you think of such things, as cultures.

« Reply #8638 on: September 04, 2018, 02:27:53 pm »

It is the ranting forum, but this wasn't your rant. This was your response to someone's rant. Why don't you take your bigotry away and give people a break from your incessant negativity and unhelpful bitterness? Did you actually offer anything constructive? Obviously things should slide on the rant forum, but there's a line where you can't expect to not have some pushback.

For someone who whines and moans that Koreans stereotype foreigners, you sure like to stereotype Koreans.

Anyways, hopefully the residents of OP's building can get lucky and somehow track down the offender, and then the landlord can boot them.

I tell it how i see it.  Everyday someone almost totals my car because they make no effort to accommodate others on the road.  Everyday i see people smoking where there are no smoking signs.  Everyday i see cars parked on crossings, pavements or blocking entrances.  Everyday i see people littering, sometimes withing 10 metres of a bin.  Everyday i see human residue in the form of vomit or piss against a building.  Everyday i hear people screaming at each other in the street.  Tell me, do you not consider this selfish?  I lived in the UK for 27 years, and i saw all those behaviours from time to time, but never daily, and never in tandem.

I get sick of having someone push past me as i exit a building, or an elevator.  The concept of "exit before entrance" means nothing here, especially when negotiating a T junction, or a car park entrance.  I get sick of making emergency stops, because a driver will not wait his turn at a junction, and pulls out causing me to fear for my baby in the back seat.  **** your hazard lights, you nearly caused an accident.

I get sick of drivers driving 1 metre behind my car, and flashing lights to make me move, because there is a car in the adjacent lane.  This basically means i cannot hit my brakes, as the **** behind me will plow into me.  What gives him the right to demand i move for him?  Why should i drive at an unsafe speed just because he wants to pass?

Or the guy the slams on his brakes without warning and makes a turn without indicating.  Or the guy who parks in the turning lane because he doesn't want to walk to the post office, thus causing those behind him to forcibly merge into the left lane.  Or the guy who refuses to indicate, so you wait at a junction for him to drive past you, and instead turns and you realise you could have gone earlier.  Or the guy who will overtake you at a frightening speed only to slam on his brakes as soon as he gets in front as there is a speed camera, so you nearly have an accident.  Then there are the breakdown drivers who think they can do as they please.

You want my rant, here it is.

A Korean's world ends at his nose!

« Reply #8639 on: September 04, 2018, 02:30:39 pm »

Martin seems to recall having noticed a bunch of selfish things in his home country and other countries and amongst foreigners in Korea, of varying nationalities.

Martin seems to recall the lessons he learned in school, from his parents, and from his friends, that you say that individual is selfish and you don't stereotype people or judge their ethnicity/country.

Martin also seems to recall various lessons in life that we're often unaware of our own selfish behvaiors, whether as individuals, or if you think of such things, as cultures.

Martin is talking in the third person REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Also, if you're gonna do it, you should use 'Tino:
'Tino is ... and so on.