Read 4030314 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #15000 on: June 27, 2023, 01:40:48 pm »
I wouldn't give too much credit to that list. Just the fact that Shanghai is behind Seoul should tell enough about how accurate it is.

https://medium.com/@maxusvilnus/the-20-cities-where-the-square-meter-of-real-estate-is-the-most-expensive-on-earth-in-2021-9c6534636a45

Here Seoul is not even in the top 20.

Don't know how accurate that list is, either.

According to Statista (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1120086/south-korea-average-apartment-purchase-price-per-square-meter/), as of April the average price per sqm for Seoul is 15 mil ($11,541) which would put it at #15 on that list.

Again, don't know how accurate this data is. But similar figures are quoted elsewhere. $33,500 per pyeong (3.3 sqm) as of the end of 2021 (https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220103000697.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 01:44:53 pm by curtain-package-2398 »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #15001 on: June 27, 2023, 01:45:57 pm »
This says $20k… which is similar to the first link:

https://www.investasian.com/property-investment/property-seoul/

The links I listed are both comparing city centers around the world; maybe that’s the difference.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #15002 on: June 27, 2023, 01:49:59 pm »
“A main factor worth noting is that South Korea’s cost of land and housing rose drastically over the past several years, doubling in many parts of the nation.

Currently, real estate values here are exorbitant by both global and regional standards. The cost per square meter in central Seoul is now approximately US$20,000 – way beyond prices seen in Asia’s comparable developed cities.
Seoul is now the world’s third most expensive property market.”

—————

True?

If not true, why is the author saying that?

• Lazio
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #15003 on: June 27, 2023, 01:58:54 pm »
“A main factor worth noting is that South Korea’s cost of land and housing rose drastically over the past several years, doubling in many parts of the nation.

Currently, real estate values here are exorbitant by both global and regional standards. The cost per square meter in central Seoul is now approximately US$20,000 – way beyond prices seen in Asia’s comparable developed cities.
Seoul is now the world’s third most expensive property market.”

—————

True?

If not true, why is the author saying that?

Here it says 15 million krw
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1120086/south-korea-average-apartment-purchase-price-per-square-meter/

None of these are rock-solid numbers. But again, there is no way that Seoul would be more expensive than Shanghai.

• Billy Herrington
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 30, 2022, 12:02:07 am
    • China
    • Banned
    more
« Reply #15004 on: June 27, 2023, 02:03:21 pm »
Here it says 15 million krw
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1120086/south-korea-average-apartment-purchase-price-per-square-meter/

None of these are rock-solid numbers. But again, there is no way that Seoul would be more expensive than Shanghai.

Shanghai's housing prices are totally outrageous. It has the highest property value to yearly rent ratio in the world. The unit I'm renting is valued at about ¥6,000,000 and my monthly rent is ¥7,100.

• Renma
  • Expert Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
    • Banned
« Reply #15005 on: June 27, 2023, 02:10:12 pm »
Didn't housing prices drop by quite a lot last year? These western-based authors might not be up to date/might be using conflicting sources (i.e maybe one is using 2019 figures and one is using 2021 figures).

Also that Numbeo website is based on user submitted data and isn't necessarily kept up to date. Anyone can submit any data without oversight.
The Statista site is also western-based and won't let you see their source data without paying for a subscription. Seems to be an in-house job.
Same goes for investasian, can't see where he got his figures from.

Anyway, much like with taking random comments off of reddit as factual and not just pulled out of that users arse, you should take all this stuff with a grain of salt. Journalism (and due diligence) seems super shoddy these days.

• Lazio
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #15006 on: June 27, 2023, 02:12:52 pm »
Shanghai's housing prices are totally outrageous. It has the highest property value to yearly rent ratio in the world. The unit I'm renting is valued at about ¥6,000,000 and my monthly rent is ¥7,100.

My good friend lives there in a roughly 100sqm 3 br/3bth apartment for a whopping 8 million krw or so/month. It includes utilities and maintenance fee though and is paid for by a company. This is just a regular apartment complex in an area where many expats live.

• Billy Herrington
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• China
    • Banned
    more
« Reply #15007 on: June 27, 2023, 02:41:41 pm »
My good friend lives there in a roughly 100sqm 3 br/3bth apartment for a whopping 8 million krw or so/month. It includes utilities and maintenance fee though and is paid for by a company. This is just a regular apartment complex in an area where many expats live.

Utilities and maintenance fees aren't much here, but I can imagine the extra bathrooms and living in an expat community might command a premium. That said, there aren't many expats left.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #15008 on: June 27, 2023, 02:54:13 pm »
Here Seoul is not even in the top 20.

That’s extremely suspect. Why believe that source while questioning others? Looks like someone’s blog. And… it is a blog. It’s medium.com. Any amateur can post there.

Cape Town (around 4,950$/m2 according to the blogger) and Sao Paulo (around 3,970$/m2 according to the blogger) are more expensive than Seoul (which is over $10K/m2)? The writer left some cities out it seems.

• Lazio
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #15009 on: June 27, 2023, 03:10:09 pm »
Why believe that source while questioning others?

Like I wrote earlier: none of these rankings found here or there are accurate or trustworthy.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #15010 on: June 27, 2023, 03:27:40 pm »

Wow, that's hectic, my apartment in Zhengzhou a few years back and it was a pretty nice one, was 1,500 RMB and I guess it has gone up since then but I doubt to the tune of 7,100 RMB.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #15011 on: June 27, 2023, 03:42:38 pm »
Hahahaha...that was me! Lost count of the times I did this (before Korea). Forgotten all about it. Yeah, Nah...doesn't work. A week later you're making phone calls or knocking on doors...lol. Good times  :rolleyes: ;D
Lets be real, that's all of us on here. I mean, what, after being banned I think I came up with a certain parody account and went with that until I got a new one. Or was that after my Trotskyfication?

Seriously, there's like a bunch of circular collections of pre-owned bongs, bubblers, bowls, papers collections and such floating out there that just make their way around various people quitting before inevitably they start back again.

Man that papers collection....

« Reply #15012 on: June 27, 2023, 03:47:34 pm »
Wow, that's hectic, my apartment in Zhengzhou a few years back and it was a pretty nice one, was 1,500 RMB and I guess it has gone up since then but I doubt to the tune of 7,100 RMB.
I live in a place called Fairyland and we don't pay rent there. But dude, Zhengzhou? It is in the middle of nowhere. 1,500 RMB is rip off.

« Reply #15013 on: June 27, 2023, 03:48:28 pm »
Marti is the opposite of the sore loser that takes his ball and goes home.  Marti is the sore loser that takes his ball and goes to YOUR home. 

"Marti, we played soccer for two hours.  My team won 17-0.  That's it. Game over"

"(sniffling).  No.  If you don't keep playing that means I win!"

Marti probably had dreams of being a high profile defense lawyer the first time he heard a prosecutor use the term "The people rest their case."  He thought it was a slam dunk win for the defense.

It brings to mind the time I told him in the great discussion on how to use the term " a host" that I had made all my points.  I wasn't swayed by his arguments and I didn't see the need to keep repeating the same thing.  He claimed that the fact I didn't want to go on for another nine pages made him the winner.  Sad.

Marti, unless I have gotten through to you and you've decided to break character, I can't imagine some of your responses aren't tiredly attempting to continue our discussion.  I'm done bud. I didn't read them.  My points are made.  Clearly everyone else has gotten bored and moved on and the thread is now discussing investing.  You're the only one trying to keep it going.  Read the room and move on like everyone else has.  Have some consideration for the board at large.
Dude, don't you have me on ignore?

• Billy Herrington
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• China
    • Banned
    more
« Reply #15014 on: June 27, 2023, 08:06:34 pm »
I live in a place called Fairyland and we don't pay rent there. But dude, Zhengzhou? It is in the middle of nowhere. 1,500 RMB is rip off.

No disrespect intended, but I was just going to say that the apartment being in Zhengzhou might something to do with the rents being low. The place isn't exactly a big draw.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 11:08:02 pm by Billy Herrington »

• Billy Herrington
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• China
    • Banned
    more
« Reply #15015 on: June 27, 2023, 11:29:29 pm »
Saw a camp job that's long working days, four weeks for 3.0 million.

Ten days later I see the same ad, only this time it's 2.0 million.

So many applicants the first time, the company thinks (probably correctly) they can get people for much less.

Bummer that teachers are applying for and competing for jobs with low wages.

That worsens the market for everyone.

Lowers the perceived value of teaching expats.

Unfortunate. The camps in China pay way more. Nobody has a legal visa to do them, but nobody really cares.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15016 on: June 28, 2023, 05:04:50 am »
Finding burger joints in Seoul that meet or beat Shake Shack is laughably easy.

The only people who think Shake Shack is the place to go are brainwashed gullible sap locals and foreigners stuck in 2008 who can never step outside their comfort zone.
It's hard to decide which is worse: beer snobs? burger snobs? pizza snobs? coffee snobs? I'd pick coffee snobs since they often go into more detail.

« Reply #15017 on: June 28, 2023, 09:55:33 am »
I mean, DM has always been a self-important snob, not just about food but about pretty much anything. Has to do with his superiority complex. Which I've always thought was kind of funny because it's never really about having good taste but more about trying to control what people are allowed to like and dislike. It all comes down to what he defines as okay, which has everything to do with his ego.

Heaven forbid people be multifaceted and enjoy more than one kind of thing, especially when those things exist outside of his very limited scope. He's always accusing people of being small-minded and biased, but then unironically rails against and demeans people for daring to enjoy a fast food burger from a joint he doesn't personally approve of.

In other news:

You guys hear about the guy who posted a Five Guys burger up online (or maybe the Carrot app) for 100k won?

Apparently there was a 4-5 hour wait on opening day, and netizens got all aggro about someone having the audacity to try to capitalize on a ****** cold, secondhand burger. With maybe some fries, idk, but yeah, I'm over here wondering if it actually sold.

I mean I liked Five Guys okay while I lived in Texas (not sure how much of a difference there is between Five Guys back home and the one here in Korea), but I would never pay that much for one of its cold burgers. Neither would I stand in line for hours just to get one. xD
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 10:14:49 am by Chinguetti »

• ToilingAjumma
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #15018 on: June 28, 2023, 10:24:42 am »
You guys hear about the guy who posted a Five Guys burger up online (or maybe the Carrot app) for 100k won?
The people who sell it aren't morons. The people who buy the 100 000W cold burger are morons.

A burger with infinite supply isn't something one should shell out this much money for. This isn't Van Halen's guitar. It's not a meal cooked for you by a famous chef on a one off basis. It's FUKKING FAST FOOD CHAIN RESTO.

I can only speak for myself, but if someone came up to me and had pictures of them at Five Guys eating a burger and "Guess what, Kevin? I only waited 4.5 hours. Isn't that cool?"

No. You have no concept of the value of time. Unless you're rich and you have no job, then WTF are you doing with your life? You know the cool stuff you could have done in 4.5 hours? Good god. 

If the guys who started the restaurant were there cooking for one weekend only, I get the draw. These are just people who were hired a month ago, making a recipe that was given to them from corporate. It doesn't make any sense. This is not a finite supply of object/experience.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 10:26:17 am by ToilingAjumma »
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They’d probably put my head in a guillotine

« Reply #15019 on: June 28, 2023, 10:42:53 am »

The only people who think Shake Shack is the place to go are brainwashed gullible sap locals and foreigners stuck in 2008 who can never step outside their comfort zone.

It's hard to decide which is worse: beer snobs? burger snobs? pizza snobs? coffee snobs? I'd pick coffee snobs since they often go into more detail.
I don't begrudge anyone eating at Shake Shack as sort of a "Hey, I need a place to grab lunch, what is close fast and open?" Or ordering it as a change of pace for lunch or a solo dinner quick bite or going in for a shake or lemonade and chilling.

But as a place to go. Like, making an event out of it? If you're doing that or declaring Shake Shack the best burger in the area, then okay, you do you. But I really think the people arriving at such a conclusion are either locals who think anything foreign and famous must be better or expats whose burger choices solely exist of McD's, Burger King and Shake Shack and would categorically refuse to experiment and wander into some random burger joint here. I mean, even Shake Shack fans think that the shakes and drinks are a bigger draw than the actual burgers.