Read 3347577 times

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #14020 on: August 23, 2022, 04:09:54 pm »
What about posting stuff about the job ads itself and not ripping into the poster?
i.e. Vacation is low, wages are below minimum, no sick days, high amount of teaching hours, etc.
I feel like pointing them out on the ad would be more beneficial for the people who would use the forums to look for a job, to point out what could be a red flag/s with the listing/s.

That’s what a bunch of us did back in the days of Dave’s in the “Review my contract” mega thread.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14021 on: August 23, 2022, 05:03:10 pm »
I thought the site added a rule about posting stuff to job ads, I could be wrong, but I remember something about that a while ago.
I think it was Kyndo that said, if we need to be critical about a job posting, we now have to make a new thread and put a link to the ad in it.
This was a while back, so I could be wrong on this. :O

Nothing about it in the TOS.

« Reply #14022 on: August 24, 2022, 07:45:24 am »
Why do Koreans rarely use the turn signal when driving?  And I'm speaking from a pedestrian's perspective.  When a car is turning down a street, or exiting some road, they may slow down in anticipation for a turn, but most of the time it is ambiguous what they are going to do.  I have to wait before continuing on my path all because they can't do the courtesy of signaling the turn.  Is it laziness? Ignorance?  I'm guessing both.  Such an easy thing to do, and it makes it easier for everyone, not to mention safer. I'm guessing a lot of Koreans don't signal lane changes too.  All this makes crossing those small streets with no traffic lights very dangerous.  With the aging population, and many vulnerable pedestrians, you would think Koreans would do more to keep the average person safe.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #14023 on: August 24, 2022, 08:44:01 am »
Why do Koreans rarely use the turn signal when driving?  And I'm speaking from a pedestrian's perspective....
As a driver here since '09 I have asked the same question.

I think it's the "don't give a f about others" subway experience. They don't know you personally, so haven't been introduced, they hold no personal obligations (a Korean prof has detailed the Korean rings of responsibility).

As a driver I'm flabbergasted at the Korean acceleration to a red light. ? Then a slow start on green? Accelerate downhill? But limp uphill? ... EVERY SINGLE WEEK i make the 1-hour drive to Jinju for my 2-day, 1-night part-time job in Jinju (all e-2 visa approved, though it took a hassle to get done), I see drivers passing me with red light ahead, rushing downhill past me... i inclined to start faster on green and go faster uphill. Not to mention the turning: why do so many drivers exceed the speed limit i'm cruising at, to shortly cut in front and EXIT from the highway? WTF? ... There is a cultural disconnect there.

Rant thread rant over.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #14024 on: August 24, 2022, 11:25:02 am »
Why do Koreans rarely use the turn signal when driving?  And I'm speaking from a pedestrian's perspective.  When a car is turning down a street, or exiting some road, they may slow down in anticipation for a turn, but most of the time it is ambiguous what they are going to do.  I have to wait before continuing on my path all because they can't do the courtesy of signaling the turn.  Is it laziness? Ignorance?  I'm guessing both.  Such an easy thing to do, and it makes it easier for everyone, not to mention safer. I'm guessing a lot of Koreans don't signal lane changes too.  All this makes crossing those small streets with no traffic lights very dangerous.  With the aging population, and many vulnerable pedestrians, you would think Koreans would do more to keep the average person safe.

On a pedestrian crossing, if they are in the turn lane but don't signal then I just step out and go on my way, forcing them to stop. I'm not waiting to see what their intentions are: signal early so I know where the f@ck you want to go.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14025 on: August 24, 2022, 12:08:33 pm »
complaints were made by who?  Scoot doesnt even respond to his jobs posts. Which mod is deleting the posts?  Is it you? What reason could there be to stop people from offering teachers helpful advice about a particular "recruiter" or their "jobs"

Certain posters who are, apparently, fans of the ancient roman republic, were spamming pretty much all the job posts with dirty limericks and inventively disgusting love poems. This apparently caused even ScottJ to notice and respond, which in turn caused the hoity toity upper echelon mods to discuss policy. Probably caused a bit of an over reaction as well. Pendulums and all that.

I *did* personally delet a bunch of the comments. In retrospect, I wish that I'd taken screen caps of them, because they were pretty darn creative.
As I said earlier, I really don't think there would be an issue with genuinely helpful advice towards potential hirelings, even if they were obliquely critical of the job posting. The problem was people being wayyyy too direct in their critisisms (ie this job job sucks. How could you post this crap? This is just wage slavery! etc etc).
I can't speak for the other mods, but I certainly wouldn't delete civil comments that pointed out predatory contract clauses or whatever.

What about posting stuff about the job ads itself and not ripping into the poster?
i.e. Vacation is low, wages are below minimum, no sick days, high amount of teaching hours, etc.
I feel like pointing them out on the ad would be more beneficial for the people who would use the forums to look for a job, to point out what could be a red flag/s with the listing/s.
The point is to hold the recruiters accountable and warn off naive jobseekers from terrible jobs.

I dont disagree.
Recruiters and job postings are meant to be a service to the teachers who might use this forum.
Again, this is just my personal take on it, so it might be a good idea to tread lightly.

I'm genuinely not certain if it would be right for mods to delete job posting that just sound really crappy, but there *have* been job postings that have been deleted (mostly for attempting to hire e2 teachers for jobs that would violate their visas).

I'm wondering if maybe stickying some kind of general information about job requirements, contract clauses that are illegal/red-flags, and average acceptable renumeration at the top of the job posting forum might be a good idea, and if so, what should be included in it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 12:12:24 pm by Kyndo »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #14026 on: August 26, 2022, 08:22:28 am »
Joe Biden has issued an order to cancel up to $20k per person in college loans.

Unless a court throws it out, workers will pay for privileged students to go to overpriced colleges.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4drqa1KhuY

——————————————

Student loan cancellation will make more inflation and more federal debt.

People should pay back what they borrowed. Many made sacrifices to do so quickly. Others went to Cancun spring break to party.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:22:13 pm by L I »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14027 on: August 26, 2022, 08:47:19 am »
Joe Biden has issued an order to cancel $10K per person in college loans.

Unless a court throws it out, workers will pay for privileged students to go to overpriced colleges.

Student loan cancellation will make more inflation and more federal debt.

People should pay back what they borrowed. Many made sacrifices to do so quickly. Others went to Cancun spring break to party.

Interesting you use the word "overpriced".  In John Stossel's world, there's no such thing--the market is perfect, and you charge what you can get. 

However, things are not so simple.  College expenses have skyrocketed far far more than inflation.

At my university, tuition when I graduated was right at $650 per year (2 semesters).  Accounting for inflation since then, that number is $1,850.

However, the actual tuition for an in-state student for 2022-23 is $12,288. 

« Reply #14028 on: August 26, 2022, 08:56:05 am »
On a pedestrian crossing, if they are in the turn lane but don't signal then I just step out and go on my way, forcing them to stop. I'm not waiting to see what their intentions are: signal early so I know where the f@ck you want to go.

Yeah I tend to do the same.  I also stare through the black windows into where the driver is.  Very satisfying actually.  And what's with the tinted windows? What are they hiding?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14029 on: August 26, 2022, 09:07:30 am »
College expenses have skyrocketed far far more than inflation.

Classic Stossel: College Costs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tRoAfeLEWvc

Did you know that the University of Missouri is proud to have a “leisure resort” on campus?  Naomi Riley, author of The Faculty Lounges: And Other Reasons Why You Won't Get the College Education You Pay For, explains how government aid led to massive tuition hikes.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14030 on: August 26, 2022, 09:15:04 am »
Not everyone should go to college. We need blue collar workers, too.

And when people buy something on credit, they shouldn’t years later decide the cost was too high, so they shouldn’t have to pay the money owed. Dishonest and unethical. Running up government debt is also unethical. Makes you popular at the time… but there are implications down the road.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14031 on: August 26, 2022, 09:19:38 am »
I’m wondering about all the reasons university tuition has gone up. Higher quality of education? One thing I read is fewer donations from wealthy citizens compared to years past. Another might be high demand. So many students go to university after high school; there is now a skilled trades shortage.

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #14032 on: August 26, 2022, 01:24:41 pm »
its been hilarious to see the official white house twitter account retweeting republicans objections to the student debt forgiveness along with the ammount of ppp loan that republican had forgiven.  Marge was like $180,000  but a couple were in the millions.  Know sexual deviant Matt Gaetz was in the $450,000 dollar range of debt forgiven. Traditionally, not paying your debts was reserved for the very wealthy and privileged. It upsets them soooo much to have some poor students get a couple of sheckles.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14033 on: August 26, 2022, 01:31:55 pm »
How about forgiving no one’s loans and not adding so much federal debt each year? Balanced budgets are good.

Free money everyone! I’m cutting taxes while increasing spending. Yay! Who will pay the tab? People in the future. Future generations. It’s unfair. No more free handouts if running huge deficits would be the unpopular but morally right thing to do.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14034 on: August 26, 2022, 01:46:14 pm »
PPP loans was part of the coronavirus cash giveaway. If businesses used the money for payroll expenses they could get the “loan” forgiven.

Sucks so much money was given away to businesses to keep them afloat during the pandemic.

Also sucks so much money was given away to ordinary citizens in the form of unemployment checks exceeding what they normally made full time.

Huge, huge, huge governmental debt racked up.

The party that gives away the most stuff wins the next election.

Take all this money! It’s on the house! We’re not paying for it, so why should we care?

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #14035 on: August 26, 2022, 01:49:19 pm »
PPP loans was part of the coronavirus cash giveaway. If businesses used the money for payroll expenses they could get the “loan” forgiven.

Sucks so much money was given away to businesses to keep them afloat during the pandemic.

Also sucks so much money was given away to ordinary citizens in the form of unemployment checks exceeding what they normally made full time.

Huge, huge, huge governmental debt racked up.

The party that gives away the most stuff wins the next election.

Take all this money! It’s on the house! We’re not paying for it, so why should we care?

I hope, as a man of principle, you didn't cash those covid relief checks.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14036 on: August 26, 2022, 01:56:07 pm »
I wasn’t happy about big Covid relief checks going out being paid for by expanding debt. I’d rather it didn’t happen. But it did because there was an election coming up. The result of all the coronavirus spending: inflation. And future inflation for people who didn’t get the checks.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #14037 on: August 26, 2022, 02:13:25 pm »
I wasn’t happy about big Covid relief checks going out being paid for by expanding debt. I’d rather it didn’t happen. But it did because there was an election coming up. The result of all the coronavirus spending: inflation. And future inflation for people who didn’t get the checks.

Not happy but you stayed quiet and cashed those checks. I'm guessing you're more vocal about the student debt relief because you personally don't benefit from it.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14038 on: August 26, 2022, 02:18:39 pm »
No. I don’t want to benefit from something that is unfair. I wouldn’t be happy about something unfair happening just because I would personally benefit. You would?

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #14039 on: August 26, 2022, 02:24:02 pm »
No. I don’t want to benefit from something that is unfair. I wouldn’t be happy about something unfair happening just because I would personally benefit. You would?

I don't think anyone would.