• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #14000 on: August 12, 2022, 04:08:11 pm »
You have been nuked anyway.

Regards- SquatJ and the LVL 1 gang.

oh man.  those were all overwhelmingly positive....  I just wanted the new recruits to get some helpful advice.  They're literally betting a year of their lives on this guy. if you're going to make a monumental decision like coming overseas to teach English, and uproot your whole life, I dont see why some helpful advice wouldn't be appreciated. 

The only reason could be that ScootJ is paying to advertise his business....

Mods,   is ScottJ paying to advertise his business? Why were the positive comments on his jobs deleted?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #14001 on: August 13, 2022, 02:20:10 pm »
Salman Rushdie was attacked on stage, and is now on a ventilator and unable to speak.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62528689.amp
---------------------------
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:36:44 am by L I »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #14002 on: August 13, 2022, 05:51:23 pm »
Salman Rushdie was attacked on stage, and is now on a ventilator and unable to speak.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62528689.amp
---------------------------

Discussion here, twenty minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMhku6GdzVs
I expected it to happen decades ago.

The world is a dangerous place to assert an idea. What you think can get you killed.

"You are free to say anything you want, as loud as you want, as long as no one hears it."
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #14003 on: August 16, 2022, 08:09:29 am »
Isn't that the Zodiac Killer?

no thats ted cruz

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14004 on: August 16, 2022, 02:05:19 pm »

« Reply #14005 on: August 17, 2022, 10:39:56 am »
People who white knight for animals without actually knowing anything about the animals.

They take all the fun out of cute animal vids and claim there's abuse when there is none.

Animal abuse and cruelty does happen and needs to be called out whenever we see it. But no, just because a cat decides to steal a bag of bread from its owners doesn't mean its owners must be starving it, Karen.

A fox that cries and rolls around on the ground whenever it sees its caretaker must mean it's being beaten? That's what foxes do whenever they're happy or excited, Ken.

"NOT CUTE OR FUNNY" is like their battlecry or something.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #14006 on: August 22, 2022, 09:11:25 am »
The world is a dangerous place to assert an idea. What you think can get you killed.

Rushdie is reportedly on a ventilator, with an uncertain future, the only certainty being that, if he lives, he will be maimed for life.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/salman-rushdie-and-the-power-of-words

Everyone has a right to be offended by whatever offends them, and everyone on earth has a right to articulate their offense. No one has a right to maim or kill someone because our words offend them. Blasphemy is not a mighty category demanding respect but a pitiful invention of those who cannot tolerate having their pet convictions criticized. It demands no respect from anyone; on the contrary, it requires solidarity among all decent people in opposing it.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #14007 on: August 22, 2022, 10:38:25 am »
No one has a right to maim or kill someone because our words offend them.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #14008 on: August 22, 2022, 11:55:43 am »
Are Mods removing critical comments of job postings now?

I thought the site added a rule about posting stuff to job ads, I could be wrong, but I remember something about that a while ago.
I think it was Kyndo that said, if we need to be critical about a job posting, we now have to make a new thread and put a link to the ad in it.
This was a while back, so I could be wrong on this. :O

« Reply #14009 on: August 22, 2022, 12:01:04 pm »
I thought the site added a rule about posting stuff to job ads, I could be wrong, but I remember something about that a while ago.
I think it was Kyndo that said, if we need to be critical about a job posting, we now have to make a new thread and put a link to the ad in it.

I remember reading something similar. I don't remember all of the details, only that it was regarded as a matter of professional courtesy to remove any comments from job postings, and then someone responded to all of the mutterings by saying you could still comment but it needed to be in its own separate thread.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #14010 on: August 22, 2022, 12:12:19 pm »
I remember reading something similar. I don't remember all of the details, only that it was regarded as a matter of professional courtesy to remove any comments from job postings, and then someone responded to all of the mutterings by saying you could still comment but it needed to be in its own separate thread.

Yes, and then people pointed out how ridiculous that would be to make a new posting on every B.S. job that got put up as it would push every other topic off the page.  The alternative would be that on a site for teachers people would just stop posting useful information about bad jobs to prospective teachers. 

« Reply #14011 on: August 22, 2022, 12:47:57 pm »
People should just assume that all job ads posted on this site are bad. I haven't personally seen one here that wasn't a bottom-of-the-barrel scrap.

They range from bad-but-standard to they-think-they-own-you-and-can-do-whatever-they-want-because-****-the-law.

Tbh, I think that's why they get posted here. Casting a wider net for those harder-to-fill positions.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 12:51:25 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #14012 on: August 22, 2022, 02:02:47 pm »
Job postings being immune to criticism is idiotic. SquatJ is a blight and probably doesn't scrub his feet in the shower.

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• Pohang South Korea
« Reply #14013 on: August 23, 2022, 01:21:16 pm »
Those jobs being posted are attempting to take advantage of new teachers who have no idea what they should be getting. Its counterproductive to allow those predatory recruiters to keep posting their trash jobs on a site MEANT TO HELP TEACHERS!  Scoot is not helping any teachers. He is only concerned about his cut of the recruiter fee. He is doing a disservice to all teachers here by personally being responsible for the lowering of wages.

« Reply #14014 on: August 23, 2022, 02:36:28 pm »
I think, but take this with a grain of salt, that people posting job ads here have to pay a subscription to do so.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14015 on: August 23, 2022, 02:48:32 pm »
I think, but take this with a grain of salt, that people posting job ads here have to pay a subscription to do so.
That used to be the case, for sure - I remember there being a banner on wayg's home page listing prices.
I'm not sure if it still is, though.

I, uh, vaguely remember reading this too.
I wasn't explaining how things were going from there on out. I was suggesting a possible avenue to express frustration now that job-post-comment-moderation policy had changed.

I think that a single thread with links to offending ads would probably be a lot less tedious that making a new thread for each one.
Also, I remember thinking at the time that now more than ever it would be really helpful to immediately flag and report illegal job posts (ie one that would violate e2 visa terms, or don't abide by Korean labour laws). I've seen a bunch of those over the last year or two.

Finally, in my opinion, politely pointing out that a job position's salary is essentially just minimum wage probably wouldn't get deleted. The problem was (or so I heard) that certain posters were having a bit too much fun ripping into the job posters, and a bunch of complaints were made.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 03:05:40 pm by Kyndo »

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• Pohang South Korea
« Reply #14016 on: August 23, 2022, 03:10:52 pm »
That used to be the case, for sure - I remember there being a banner on wayg's home page listing prices.

I wasn't explaining how things were going from there on out. I was suggesting a possible avenue to express frustration now that job-post-comment-moderation policy had changed.

I think that a single thread with links to offending ads would probably be a lot less tedious that making a new thread for each one.
Also, I remember thinking at the time that now more than ever it would be really helpful to immediately flag and report illegal job posts (ie one that would violate e2 visa terms, or don't abide by Korean labour laws). I've seen a bunch of those over the last year or two.

Finally, in my opinion, politely pointing out that a job position's salary is essentially just minimum wage probably wouldn't get deleted. The problem was (or so I heard) that certain posters were having a bit too much fun ripping into the job posters, and a bunch of complaints were made.

complaints were made by who?  Scoot doesnt even respond to his jobs posts.  I messaged him once and he added me to his list on kakao chat where he was spamming a whole group with the same terrible job ads.  I had to block him.  its his scam.  if you send him a text message, he immediately adds you to his kakao group where youre all spammed with his job ads.

Which mod is deleting the posts?  Is it you? What reason could there be to stop people from offering teachers helpful advice about a particular "recruiter" or their "jobs"

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #14017 on: August 23, 2022, 03:12:39 pm »

What about posting stuff about the job ads itself and not ripping into the poster?
i.e. Vacation is low, wages are below minimum, no sick days, high amount of teaching hours, etc.
I feel like pointing them out on the ad would be more beneficial for the people who would use the forums to look for a job, to point out what could be a red flag/s with the listing/s.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #14018 on: August 23, 2022, 03:20:18 pm »
What about posting stuff about the job ads itself and not ripping into the poster?
i.e. Vacation is low, wages are below minimum, no sick days, high amount of teaching hours, etc.
I feel like pointing them out on the ad would be more beneficial for the people who would use the forums to look for a job, to point out what could be a red flag/s with the listing/s.

Exactly, people who read the job posting aren't necessarily going to then head to the unrelated discussion forums to see if a thread was made about the posting )if it's still trending).  On a site for teachers a crappy job posting deserves to be called out.  If job posters are paying and then are able to get complaints scrubbed, that's a disservice to the users of this place.  If they aren't paying and are still able to get complaints removed, that's a sign of a mod with itchy delete fingers. 

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #14019 on: August 23, 2022, 03:29:45 pm »
Mods wont address it and deletions will continue (funny that, I've seen the occasional drunk attack by van himself on some job postings).
As bake and augustiner said, the point is to hold the recruiters accountable and warn off naive jobseekers from terrible jobs. I understand kyndo is spitballing ideas to appease both sides but a megathread elsewhere wont help newcomers.

This policy is contributing towards the ongoing deterioration of job remuneration.