Read 3269415 times

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13900 on: June 23, 2022, 10:04:39 am »
I agree, but like I mentioned in the new thread referencing that, there was no need to wipe the entire discussion.  That was irresponsible moderating.  Just should've taken out any posts that were having a go at homosexuality and left the ones that were dealing with the lesson plan.  It was the lesson plan forum.  Hardly inappropriate.

i like how they left the original post up then locked comments lol

« Reply #13901 on: June 23, 2022, 10:10:31 am »
Just want to say that if someone uses it and it does cause a fracas in Korea, that there is a chance it could come back to this site and cause all kinds of issues that the site operators probably don't want to deal with.

At best that would be bad publicity. Middle outcome of it being blocked by the govt (effectively the kiss of death for the site). At worst the phrase "distribution of content harmful to children"and some law we've never heard of...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 10:17:02 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13902 on: June 23, 2022, 10:34:04 am »
i like how they left the original post up then locked comments lol

I am not in favor of censorship much of the time unless it really is over the line like pedophilia and stuff affecting kids.  In which case, some censorship will be allowed.  But you are an idiot if you do a pride lesson in Korea or in most ESL destinations around the world.  Most countries are still quite conservative and may fire you or give you a stern warning.  Stay away from that in Korea.  Also if you live that way, I assume you will fly under the radar here and not be too open with it outside of a couple of districts of Seoul. 
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13903 on: June 23, 2022, 10:35:16 am »
Frustrating.  :sad:

Absolutely teaching that lesson here would have been a suicide mission. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13904 on: June 23, 2022, 10:41:48 am »
Absolutely teaching that lesson here would have been a suicide mission. 
It's frustrating that the derailment nixxed the discussion and the advice, I meant.

« Reply #13905 on: June 23, 2022, 10:46:05 am »
Yeah, the more I look at this, the more it's clear that this site is trusting its effective existence (and potentially some of the mods in Korea NOT facing criminal penalties) on some random 23-year old in rural Gyeongnam/Jeolla having the sense not to teach that lesson content because if they do, it's going to go over like a lead balloon and could spiral into a "story".

Bear in mind that the current administration in power gets a significant amount of backing from right-wing evangelicals. And that the party out of power has a nationalistic axe to grind and ain't the biggest fans of English education.

In the interests of the well-being of the members of this site and the site itself, people should REALLY be careful with this one, especially as moderation steps have been taken which could be construed as an effective endorsement of the lesson's content.

Sure, maybe one teacher and it gets just dealt with there. You get multiple reports popping up across the country...they're going to look for a distribution point.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 10:50:30 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #13906 on: June 23, 2022, 11:03:01 am »

« Reply #13907 on: June 23, 2022, 11:21:31 am »
The crossword puzzle is tough. Power _ _ _ _ _ _.

Ranger?

Also includes some school-related terms for the kids, such as "scissoring."

« Reply #13908 on: June 23, 2022, 11:25:40 am »
The crossword puzzle is tough. Power _ _ _ _ _ _.

Ranger?

Also includes some school-related terms for the kids, such as "scissoring."

wheninrome is joking but I did just download it and there are the words "bisexual" and "transgender" in there. Do those words upset me? Not a chance.

Would I explain them to 12 year old ESL students in Korea? Not on your f**king life. 

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13909 on: June 23, 2022, 11:29:14 am »
It's frustrating that the derailment nixxed the discussion and the advice, I meant.

Yes, but why weren't just the offending comments removed and the sound advice left?  That's the part that confuses me.  And now it's been left up and locked, which, as DMart says, seems to be an endorsement.  Forget whether you agree or disagree with Pride celebrations.  We all know that if anyone does this with little kids there is going to be blowback for that teacher.  And it very well may be blowback, especially at a hakwan, that gets them swiftly booted.  The mod that wiped the entire thread and locked it should be explaining their decision.  They seem to have gone A.W.O.L. on this.  It's clearly something that has drawn a lot of attention from a variety of the waygook community, so what's with the silence?  Dumb things done by one or two teachers affect the whole teaching community over here.  They don't look at it as isolated instances, but rather as an indication of all our behaviours.  ESL teachers have a vested interest in some idiot NOT using those materials.  We're not just shooting the sh*t on this one. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:38:20 am by Augustiner »

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #13910 on: June 23, 2022, 11:31:45 am »
In the interests of the well-being of the members of this site and the site itself, people should REALLY be careful with this one, especially as moderation steps have been taken which could be construed as an effective endorsement of the lesson's content.

Who is the mod responsible anyway? The only visible mods around here are Kyndo and Van. I think mods should be accountable for their choices, I don't much like that there are some mods deleting and locking things while having 0 interaction with this community.

i think the original thread should be deleted for all the reasons outlined already. The guy is plugging his own twinkl website anyway, so it's not like that OP is benefitting Arsalan by hosting it here for the paid subscribers.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13911 on: June 23, 2022, 11:41:35 am »

Fair enough. 

But whether you are really pro, really against, or kind of pragmatically in between, we all know how it would go over in 99% of schools here. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13912 on: June 23, 2022, 12:05:37 pm »
Yeah, the more I look at this, the more it's clear that this site is trusting its effective existence (and potentially some of the mods in Korea NOT facing criminal penalties) on some random 23-year old in rural Gyeongnam/Jeolla having the sense not to teach that lesson content because if they do, it's going to go over like a lead balloon and could spiral into a "story".

Bear in mind that the current administration in power gets a significant amount of backing from right-wing evangelicals. And that the party out of power has a nationalistic axe to grind and ain't the biggest fans of English education.

Sure, maybe one teacher and it gets just dealt with there. You get multiple reports popping up across the country...they're going to look for a distribution point.

There's  a possibility that every registered user of the site could be sought for criminal charges. If we don't do enough to remove it, we are all endorsing it.
"I put quite a few pics online and got rated anywhere from 8.2 to 9.6 by lots of chicks. Of course, I can't claim to have the same looks now though Koreans are always saying "handsome" - hangook77

« Reply #13913 on: June 23, 2022, 12:08:20 pm »
every registered user of the site could be sought for criminal charges.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13914 on: June 23, 2022, 12:20:16 pm »

Is it really any more ridiculous than this?

"the more I look at this, the more it's clear that this site is trusting its effective existence (and potentially some of the mods in Korea NOT facing criminal penalties) on some random 23-year old in rural Gyeongnam/Jeolla

...they're going to look for a distribution point."
"I put quite a few pics online and got rated anywhere from 8.2 to 9.6 by lots of chicks. Of course, I can't claim to have the same looks now though Koreans are always saying "handsome" - hangook77

« Reply #13915 on: June 23, 2022, 12:28:50 pm »
Controversy Grows Over 'Transgender English Lesson'

-Dong-A English Daily 

On the 17th parents from Uiseong-eup protested the school policy of "Transgender in English Class". The residents were led by National Assemblyman Choi from the region demanding that "No Transgender in English Class" be followed as regulation and for an investigation into online distribution sources of "content harmful to children and national welfare." This protest is expected to be joined by others in South Jelloa, Gyeonggi and a request for a protest in Seoul is being applied by 'Concerned Parents Group'.

The incident started on the 13th when a Foreign Teacher Ms. A presented a lesson on "Pride Month" to the 4th and 5th grade classes of Uiseong Elementary School students. The next day the school was confronted by many parents and the Principal Gu apologized. The offending Native Teacher was terminated under the regulation 27.5 of local school charter. However the parents anger is not solved and the frustration continues. On the Naver cafe 'Moral School Education' parents from private English academies and other schools also said that they thought their student had seen these lessons. The 'Transgender Teaching' happened in Hwasun-eup Middle School, private academy in Suwon-si, several private academy in Seoul and one high school in Daejeon. The lesson had apparently been distributed online by English Teachers Professionals Site 'waygook.org' and was viewed by 2 thousand 1 hundred times with unknown number of downloads.

The parents says that the Native Teacher Ms. A taught students English sexual terms and suggested that they might be bisexual or transgender and to accept such a status for themselves as children. She also printed and distributed material to support adaptation to 'homosexual lifestyle and celebration' and asked this to be taken home and presented to family members and seniors according to what parents asked the students. Ms. A did not issue any statement to Dong-A news and current status is unknown.

Police are now investigating whether the teachers involved as well as the site is guilty of violating 'The Public Welfare Law 1997 on Distribution of Content Harmful to Children' as well as the '2008 Special Law on Sexual Protection from Teachers' and various regulations regarding sexual education in school. It is known that the owners and operators of the site are based in Korea and as such could be under authorities power for investigation. As of now the site is no longer active after attacks from Netizens and police declaring it ' potentially harmful site' and temporarily blocking log-in for preventative safety.

Current Status of Site of English Teachers and 'Transgender Sexual English Lesson' name of 'waygook.org'
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 12:43:19 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #13916 on: June 23, 2022, 12:39:49 pm »

I don't know.

« Reply #13917 on: June 23, 2022, 12:45:20 pm »

Read what I wrote above and tell me that couldn't happen in Korea...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 12:50:44 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #13918 on: June 23, 2022, 12:46:54 pm »
I don't think this site has to worry about anything. You know that somewhere right now there is a blue-haired Western k-pop fan in some classroom in Korea asking the boys if they are really sure they are boys and encouraging the girls to play with Chaos Space Marine Warhammer 40k tanks.

« Reply #13919 on: June 23, 2022, 12:50:24 pm »
encouraging the girls to play with Chaos Space Marine Warhammer 40k tanks.
That sounds like me saying "encouraging kids to read 'Dragons of Autumn Twilight' and paint miniatures of Tanis Half-Elven' or 'Having the kids debate whether Ron Jones or James Horner was the greatest source of Star Trek music'