Read 3269349 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13880 on: June 20, 2022, 09:39:22 am »
During the last 6 months, every scooter/delivery driver in the city has decided that it would be a great idea to drill holes/replace the stock mufflers of their scooters.

Crickets, birds or the wind? No sir, I long for the obnoxiously loud fart noises these things make throughout the day and night.

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
« Reply #13881 on: June 20, 2022, 04:39:08 pm »
My local bank (Shinhan) has gone from a 6 teller bank to digital, as from today. The nearest 'in person' bank is now 25 minutes away. I guess that's just the way it is, but I'm still a little peeved. Hopefully there is a person helping out all those who are digitally challenged. And yes, I do have short fingers, before someone comes in with a question.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #13882 on: June 22, 2022, 01:34:06 am »
KB has gone from 4 regular tellers to 1.5. ... putting up barriers to block the view of the counters as one waits, not seeing the less workers and the thumb-moving supervisors.

Let may say though, this 1917ish to 2021ish change is equivalent to the sea change back in Canada from 1998 to 1993.

Use your ATM or GHY.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

« Reply #13883 on: June 22, 2022, 10:23:10 am »
I'm a USA citizen, wanting to get a driver's license in Korea.  All I need to do is give my US driver's license to Korean DMW and take a written test, but the problem is my license is expired.  Great, no problem, because my state allows renewal by mail.  Request renewal packet and they mail it to my house here in Korea.  Fill out the application, visit a hospital and get an eye exam and get the doctor to fill out the form.  Go to the bank and get an international money order.  Send everything through DHL.  Get word a few days later from my state's DMV that my license cannot be renewed because it expired over a year ago ( 1.5 years ago.)  So frustrating.  No mention of that rule on the website or when I was communicating with them about getting the renewal packet.  I've never had a ticket or an accident, been driving for almost 15 years, renewed my license multiple times, albeit when I was a physically in my state, and now I'm told it's impossible to renew by mail because it's a year after expiration.  I guess I will wait until my next trip home, hopefully this winter.  Frustrating!!

« Reply #13884 on: June 22, 2022, 10:57:29 am »
I don't get why they expire............ Like, I didn't forget how to f**king drive. You wanna charge me a fee cuz I messed up? Fine, but why on EARTH do we need to do the tests from the beginning? It's ridiculous. Maybe if you haven't driven in 10 years or something, but 2 years?

WHAT IS RED LIGHT? HOW TURN?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13885 on: June 22, 2022, 11:01:52 am »
I guess I will wait until my next trip home, hopefully this winter.  Frustrating!!
If you're desperate, you could always just take your driver's test from scratch here in Korea. They offer it in English.
It was a hassle (because I lived more than an hour's drive away from the facility), but I did eventually manage to do it.

« Reply #13886 on: June 22, 2022, 11:56:20 am »
I don't get why they expire............ Like, I didn't forget how to f**king drive. You wanna charge me a fee cuz I messed up? Fine, but why on EARTH do we need to do the tests from the beginning? It's ridiculous. Maybe if you haven't driven in 10 years or something, but 2 years?

Medical and liability are likely. Expired license could be construed as an indicator of potential incapacity (either physical or mental), necessitating proof of such.

I mean, I agree it's dumb, but I could also totally see the above leading to some court settlement.

« Reply #13887 on: June 22, 2022, 01:08:31 pm »

Eyesight deteriorates with age. A friend of mine's father drove for quite a while before telling anyone that he was nearly blind. A miracle he didn't cause an accident.

I'll say that it should only be necessary to do a vision, hearing and reaction test every few years.

« Reply #13888 on: June 22, 2022, 01:35:59 pm »
I'll say that it should only be necessary to do a vision, hearing and reaction test every few years.
Yeah, fair play. I just mean that a 40 yo who has it expire and then comes back in 2 years (for whatever reason, it doesn't REALLY matter) shouldn't have to do the writing test or the driving test again. Why should they?

« Reply #13889 on: June 22, 2022, 01:44:40 pm »
Yeah, fair play. I just mean that a 40 yo who has it expire and then comes back in 2 years (for whatever reason, it doesn't REALLY matter) shouldn't have to do the writing test or the driving test again. Why should they?

Sorry, as a South African I can't feel any sympathy for you guys. Not sure how it is now, but not too long ago in SA, you'd have to wait 6-8 months to book a learner's test and another 6-8 months or more to book a driver's test, were you'd likely fail as the examiners are some of the most miserable c*nts alive and/or are fishing for a bribe. You'd wait another 6-8 months to do your driver's test only to find out the learners license expires after a year so you'd have ot redo the whole thing... so, people would just drive without licenses or take 5yrs to get one.

In Korea, it took me a grand total of 2 days to write my learners, do it, book the drivers, pass the test and get my Korean license.

You guys have it good.

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #13890 on: June 22, 2022, 02:00:22 pm »
haha   every story about south africa is hilarious to me.  why is anyone still there?  where do they work?   i assume everyone is just working on their uncles game farm right?

« Reply #13891 on: June 22, 2022, 03:31:40 pm »
If you're desperate, you could always just take your driver's test from scratch here in Korea. They offer it in English.
It was a hassle (because I lived more than an hour's drive away from the facility), but I did eventually manage to do it.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

« Reply #13892 on: June 22, 2022, 03:38:01 pm »
Eyesight deteriorates with age. A friend of mine's father drove for quite a while before telling anyone that he was nearly blind. A miracle he didn't cause an accident.

Which makes sense, hence why I paid 80,000 won for a peripheral vison test and had a regular eye examination by a doctor at a university hospital here.  The doctor was kind enough to fill out (in English) the eye-examination form that my state's DMV gave me.  It's funny because whenever I would renew my license back home, the only medical "test" necessary was just looking in a thing that resembled a microscope and reading one (!) row of letters.  That was it. Those workers at the DMV who had me read the letters were definitely not eye doctors, last I checked. 

« Reply #13893 on: June 22, 2022, 03:39:34 pm »

Agree with you!! And I'm a young 30 years old, even more likely to have healthy eyes  :laugh:.

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #13894 on: June 22, 2022, 04:07:33 pm »
All the helpful advice about that lesson on "Pride month" was ruined (and moderated) because some of you morons couldn't just keep your personal bigotry to yourselves.

congratulations.
a

« Reply #13895 on: June 22, 2022, 04:18:23 pm »
I was gonna make a gay joke here, butt f*** it.

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
« Reply #13896 on: June 22, 2022, 05:55:27 pm »
That'll teach me for actually doing some teaching today. I missed it all  :lipsrsealed:

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13897 on: June 23, 2022, 07:57:07 am »
All the helpful advice about that lesson on "Pride month" was ruined (and moderated) because some of you morons couldn't just keep your personal bigotry to yourselves.

congratulations.
a

I agree, but like I mentioned in the new thread referencing that, there was no need to wipe the entire discussion.  That was irresponsible moderating.  Just should've taken out any posts that were having a go at homosexuality and left the ones that were dealing with the lesson plan.  It was the lesson plan forum.  Hardly inappropriate. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13898 on: June 23, 2022, 07:58:26 am »
congratulations.

Frustrating.  :sad:

« Reply #13899 on: June 23, 2022, 09:46:54 am »
The smacketh has been layeth down!