Read 3269351 times

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13780 on: June 08, 2022, 07:49:57 am »
That sounds quite a fun and easy prep game!   Just need a random timer set up.  Probably could set up a ppt to do it.  Thanks.

It's all done for you.  It's called Bad Luck Billy and it's from Tay's Toolkit.  Some teacher (presumably named Tay) who put up a link in the lesson plans to a bunch of great ppts. she made. 

www.taysteachingtoo lkit.com

Lots of great stuff there. 

« Reply #13781 on: June 08, 2022, 09:00:12 am »
CoT deemed it necessary to come into my office to say "Close the door perfectly" (about the classroom. I closed it but I guess not all the way) Does it really matter that much?

I thought I was petty but some of the Korean teachers are next level

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13782 on: June 08, 2022, 09:43:58 am »
My co-teacher is driving me nuts. She comes into my room every 10-15 minutes to show me / confirm stuff I already told her a million times. It's nothing complicated at all... I really hate having to hand-hold people through things they should really know how to do.
Maybe she has an ulterior motive.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13783 on: June 08, 2022, 11:02:53 am »
With parties, one needs to know the platform, party history, and the direction the party wants the country to go with respect to dozens and dozens of different issues. Single issue referendums would only require knowledge of the issue at hand.

with parties you only need a vague idea of their stance on key issues because there's like a 0.01% chance that theyre going to do anything/get any of it into legislation, lol. single issue referendums are going directly into effect.

even if you need more political literacy to make an informed decision on a party, having that political literacy is less important. even if we assume the referendum is on something relatively simple, having that smaller amount of political literacy is more important.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13784 on: June 08, 2022, 11:42:31 am »
So less required, but more important to actually have that basic knowledge. Yeah, that sounds about right.
Maybe have a mini quiz at the beginning of the actual voting, so verify that the voter understands the issue they're voting on.

I feel that with enough accessibility options for the handicapped, and with the questions strictly limited to those most relevant to background knowledge of the topic at hand, it could be possible to do it without being discriminatory or biased.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #13785 on: June 08, 2022, 11:59:39 am »
i think there definitely is, and i'm not opposed to political referendums as long as there's some sort of quality control when it comes to the voterbase. this wasn't so much an issue when they were drafting the constitution because blue collar voters were reasonably politically literate. of course this was back when reading was the primary form of entertainment and listening to debates was an important social event, and before tv and the radio reduced political messaging to bite-sized slogans.

unfortunately i dont think referendums will ever come to pass. even if there were a reasonable way to conduct them, no party on the left or right would agree with it (the left would call it too restrictive, the right would claim the opposite, both would call for an investigation whenever their side lost, etc). and while i am thinking mainly in the context of american politics here, i would hazard to guess that its much the same in any country with an entrenched political class

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13786 on: June 08, 2022, 12:12:34 pm »
I can't disagree.
What needs to happen is the complete dissolution of political parties, and *replace* it with issue based voting.

And while I'm blue-skying, maybe replace nation states with non-geographically based shared-interest groups, invest in long term research programs, limit military budgets, and focus on reducing inequity both at the global and at the local scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgkThdzX-8

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #13787 on: June 08, 2022, 02:23:09 pm »
i mean, somebody has to actually implement what's voted on, yes? if that level of oversight exists and we vote on who gets to do it, parties inevitably form. if people are appointed in some other way... well, i can't think of any alternative that isn't straight up worse than the former.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13788 on: June 08, 2022, 03:02:44 pm »
with parties you only need a vague idea of their stance on key issues because there's like a 0.01% chance that theyre going to do anything/get any of it into legislation, lol. single issue referendums are going directly into effect.

even if you need more political literacy to make an informed decision on a party, having that political literacy is less important. even if we assume the referendum is on something relatively simple, having that smaller amount of political literacy is more important.

One thing I do like about the US system is individula members can vote freely, though there is a problem with money and lobbying from the Koch brothers to Soros and Schwab ("you will own nothing and be happy").  All corporate and union money should be banned and media should be restrained from biased one sided reporting.  Individual donations to the hearts content.  As much as you want. 
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.

« Reply #13789 on: June 08, 2022, 07:20:33 pm »
So less required, but more important to actually have that basic knowledge. Yeah, that sounds about right.
Maybe have a mini quiz at the beginning of the actual voting, so verify that the voter understands the issue they're voting on.

I feel that with enough accessibility options for the handicapped, and with the questions strictly limited to those most relevant to background knowledge of the topic at hand, it could be possible to do it without being discriminatory or biased.

i think there definitely is, and i'm not opposed to political referendums as long as there's some sort of quality control when it comes to the voterbase. this wasn't so much an issue when they were drafting the constitution because blue collar voters were reasonably politically literate. of course this was back when reading was the primary form of entertainment and listening to debates was an important social event, and before tv and the radio reduced political messaging to bite-sized slogans.

unfortunately i dont think referendums will ever come to pass. even if there were a reasonable way to conduct them, no party on the left or right would agree with it (the left would call it too restrictive, the right would claim the opposite, both would call for an investigation whenever their side lost, etc). and while i am thinking mainly in the context of american politics here, i would hazard to guess that its much the same in any country with an entrenched political class

YOU ARE BOTH FOOLS.  :P :P :P

Monarchy or bust!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13790 on: June 09, 2022, 09:03:06 am »
YOU ARE BOTH FOOLS.  :P :P :P

Monarchy or bust!
Yes, fine, okay. But only if I get to wear the crown.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #13791 on: June 09, 2022, 09:24:21 am »

Holding referendums are not that uncommon in Oz. What is less common though is the actual success rate of referendums. Our system is a kind of Washminster mutation, but by design, referendums changing a constitution, are very difficult to pass. There wouldn't be much point in having a constitution if it could be changed willy nilly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 09:25:55 am by Adel »

« Reply #13792 on: June 09, 2022, 10:46:50 am »
It's all done for you.  It's called Bad Luck Billy and it's from Tay's Toolkit.  Some teacher (presumably named Tay) who put up a link in the lesson plans to a bunch of great ppts. she made. 

www.taysteachingtoo lkit.com
Lots of great stuff there. 

Thank you for this web site - there look so be some good things here.  Maybe I can use some for my online summer camps this year!!!! 

I hoped I had finished with online camps but due to major renovations at my school we must do online camps.   Summer and Winter camps all during the long summer vacation as we don't get any winter vacation this year.  (Just thought I had better rant and vent a bit as this is the ranting and venting page!

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
« Reply #13793 on: June 09, 2022, 10:47:23 am »
Monarchy or bust!

Marti, the shite you gave me after I posted (somewhat jokingly) about supporting the British Monarchy, and here you are joking about it as well. Huh, go figure! Makes me wonder...?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13794 on: June 09, 2022, 11:01:31 am »
Marti, the shite you gave me after I posted (somewhat jokingly) about supporting the British Monarchy, and here you are joking about it as well. Huh, go figure! Makes me wonder...?

After Queen E, they can all go to the moon for all I care. 

« Reply #13795 on: June 09, 2022, 12:22:30 pm »
Marti, the shite you gave me after I posted (somewhat jokingly) about supporting the British Monarchy nationally sponsored invasion, theft, rape and murder aka 'colonialism', and here you are joking about it as well. Huh, go figure! Makes me wonder...?

And I somewhat jokingly pointed out how your Empire is done, your country a has-been, that you don't 'Rule the Waves' anymore and that your precious football clubs are all getting colonized by Americans and Arabs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 12:25:08 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13796 on: June 09, 2022, 12:24:27 pm »
After Queen E, they can all go to the moon for all I care.

What makes the current queen special?
"I put quite a few pics online and got rated anywhere from 8.2 to 9.6 by lots of chicks. Of course, I can't claim to have the same looks now though Koreans are always saying "handsome" - hangook77

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13797 on: June 09, 2022, 12:31:24 pm »
What makes the current queen special?

I half agree with you.  I just think she's the sane one compared to the rest of them.  William and Kate are sort of okay.  But the rest of them are loony tunes. 

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
« Reply #13798 on: June 09, 2022, 12:35:30 pm »
And I somewhat jokingly pointed out how your Empire is done, your country a has-been, that you don't 'Rule the Waves' anymore and that your precious football clubs are all getting colonized by Americans and Arabs.

Marti, I'm from a colony. I'm not British. Most of my relatives are a darker shade of pale. We don't have any precious football clubs, but we do have a some amatuer soccer clubs. And New Zealand never ruled the waves. Also, you didn't get that I was messing around.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #13799 on: June 09, 2022, 12:46:23 pm »
Marti, is a bit slow at times. He doesn't really pick-up on the whole colonial culture/mentality thing. It was quite evident in that Accadacca thread.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 12:48:21 pm by Adel »