Read 3269388 times

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13740 on: May 31, 2022, 07:35:05 am »
It seems with the pandemic we had a nice break from the election circus until the last few months, but I forgot how amateurishly theatrical these campaigns can be.  My elementary school elections are held with more dignity.  It's just so annoying every rush hour.  Loads of placard waving sheep dressed up and dancing along to children's songs adapted for their candidate.  They restrict traffic flow in the subway stations and make the morning commute more chaotic.  The one big intersection I cross in the morning has this heroic ajeosshi come out with his traffic light sabre as if he's Moses parting the red sea to allow everyone to cross, on the GREEN light.  Thanks, pal.  You've got my vote if you'll just get out of the f**kin' way.  I've talked to the Koreans in my various circles and without exception (WITHOUT EXCEPTION DMart, so no need to pontificate on their behalf) and they also find it incredibly annoying.  I guess they just put up with it.  The idiots were blocking the entire entrance to Subway Sub this morning.  I had to push through them.  At least, we get tomorrow off as a reward. 

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #13741 on: May 31, 2022, 07:50:07 am »

It's hard as a teacher to let mistakes go.

I hear ya.  I still have a hard time with the thread where you came on and tried to admonish the poster and entire board because you didn't understand that he had used the term "breads" correctly, but went off on some tangent about how bread is uncountable.  "Breads" of course, is perfectly fine when used to refer to different kinds of breads, which is how the poster had employed it.  And then, you refused to acknowledge your mistake.  Boy oh boy, as an English teacher that was frustrating.  On the upside I did use your mistake as a motivation activity in my grade three class that day.  Turning lemons into lemonade is what I always say. 

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #13742 on: May 31, 2022, 08:00:43 am »
It seems with the pandemic we had a nice break from the election circus until the last few months, but I forgot how amateurishly theatrical these campaigns can be.  My elementary school elections are held with more dignity.  It's just so annoying every rush hour.  Loads of placard waving sheep dressed up and dancing along to children's songs adapted for their candidate.  They restrict traffic flow in the subway stations and make the morning commute more chaotic.  The one big intersection I cross in the morning has this heroic ajeosshi come out with his traffic light sabre as if he's Moses parting the red sea to allow everyone to cross, on the GREEN light.  Thanks, pal.  You've got my vote if you'll just get out of the f**kin' way.  I've talked to the Koreans in my various circles and without exception (WITHOUT EXCEPTION DMart, so no need to pontificate on their behalf) and they also find it incredibly annoying.  I guess they just put up with it.  The idiots were blocking the entire entrance to Subway Sub this morning.  I had to push through them.  At least, we get tomorrow off as a reward. 

Someone can correct me on this, as I'm not sure. But it seems that years ago this shit show of loud trucks and dancing ajummas went on for longer before elections. Now they are only allowed to start this kind of campaigning 2 weeks or so before election day. Which is still better than 1 month.
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #13743 on: May 31, 2022, 08:09:52 am »
Someone can correct me on this, as I'm not sure. But it seems that years ago this shit show of loud trucks and dancing ajummas went on for longer before elections. Now they are only allowed to start this kind of campaigning 2 weeks or so before election day. Which is still better than 1 month.

It started immediately after the election with them standing in the subways right around me.  I thought it was them thanking the voters for their win, but it was all parties.  I didn't realize the other election was coming right up.  But, it did seem to really only kick into high gear with the trucks and placard waving morons in the last couple of weeks.  But, I go from one busy station to another in the mornings so there isn't any let up on my commute.  Thank God that one kind red jacketed guy is there to let me know I can cross on a green light each morning and to place himself in the way of the stopped cars to protect all of us. 

« Reply #13744 on: May 31, 2022, 08:15:27 am »
I want to know why they do it at all.

Does it really help them to win votes?

Seems counter-intuitive to me. But then maybe it's more of a maintenance kind of thing. I can see how some of the older folks might get miffed if a candidate didn't do something like this because then it might appear to them that the candidate doesn't care or whatever.

I don't know, voters can be stupid. That's why stupid shit like this happen. But I really want to see some hard numbers regarding this. Does it actually make a difference, or is it really only done out of "tradition"?

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #13745 on: May 31, 2022, 08:31:10 am »
It started immediately after the election with them standing in the subways right around me.  I thought it was them thanking the voters for their win, but it was all parties.  I didn't realize the other election was coming right up.  But, it did seem to really only kick into high gear with the trucks and placard waving morons in the last couple of weeks.  But, I go from one busy station to another in the mornings so there isn't any let up on my commute.  Thank God that one kind red jacketed guy is there to let me know I can cross on a green light each morning and to place himself in the way of the stopped cars to protect all of us. 

So this time the campaign officially started 13 days before election day. Only after that this loud, getting in your face campaign is allowed. But I don't know how that compares to previous elections. I think it's shorter than it used to be.

https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=329424
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

« Reply #13746 on: May 31, 2022, 09:08:49 am »

It seems most people haven't figured out/can't be bothered to obey the rules of a double-lane roundabout.

Now, you have 2 or 3 bongo trucks from different candidates all blaring their respective nursery rhymes, IN THE ROUNDABOUT, and parked halfway across the roundabout exit. This nuisance added to the usual morning chaos of disregard for the rules of the road makes your blood boil.

"Yeah dude, having 'Baby Shark' rattling through my car is exactly what I want to hear after a long day before/after work, you got my vote."

Like hweshik culture, this is something I see dying off in the next few decades.

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
« Reply #13747 on: May 31, 2022, 09:14:55 am »
I had a guy standing on a small island (with a heap of others) where one small street merged with another. From about 10 metres he was yelling 4, 4, 4...and flashing two sets of 4 fingers at me. I was creeping along and stopped right beside him. He loked at me through the open window, stopped mid 4, dropped his flashing fingers, and quickly turned away. He hadn't realized that he was performing for a foreigner...made me laugh though.

Yeah, and it is dangerous. One guy in a Bongo truck at the small roundabout down the road, decided to stop and talk to the No 2 people. No one could move. Then No 1 person, like Augustiner's clown jumps out and directs traffic at the next merging street. Really annoying, but thankfully this one is only every four years. 

Oh, and while we're at it, I'm getting increasing frustrated at the 50% of drivers who stop inside a roundabout and back traffic up. There needs to be a national TV campaign  >:(

Ha! Aristocrat is on the same wave length this morning  ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 01:26:40 pm by Rye »

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13748 on: May 31, 2022, 01:06:39 pm »

Legally, in Korea, you may only actively campaign two weeks before the election day.  Korea has many dumb restrictions on free speech (their take on the libel law and other things, too). 
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13749 on: May 31, 2022, 01:14:57 pm »
Legally, in Korea, you may only actively campaign two weeks before the election day.  Korea has many dumb restrictions on free speech (their take on the libel law and other things, too). 
I agree that some of the slander/libel laws are a little bit godawful, but I'm pretty happy about having their campaigning limited to only 2 weeks. Imagine if this went on for an entire season?  :shocked: :huh: :cry:
 I'd go nuts!

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
« Reply #13750 on: May 31, 2022, 01:32:03 pm »
Van Islander and his damn pedantic pickery on grammar mistakes is making me go back and correct small, minor infractions. It's driving me nuts. It's like waiting for 'Chimp' to come swooping along.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13751 on: May 31, 2022, 01:38:44 pm »
You've just made mistakes in capitalization and period placement. Clean them up before saying all us university grads are your *****. RANT OVER.

Plus: Bonus: "What kind of _______?" The word on the line isn't to be singular or plural.

NOT: WHAT KIND OF AN ARGUMENT?
BUT INSTEAD: WHAT KIND OF ARGUMENT?

LI may be an English as a 2nd language learner. I assume so based on the fact he has made so many smart statements (the alternative is Amercan Presidental-ish).
It's hard as a teacher to let mistakes go.

fun fact, nobody cares

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #13752 on: May 31, 2022, 03:10:55 pm »

in Canada (where your'e from) its 50 days.  thats still way too long
imagine if we had to put up with the Ted Cruz's of korea constantly blathering on about nothing to campaign for a couple sheckles.  The shorter the campaign, the better.  waste less money.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13753 on: June 02, 2022, 01:39:16 pm »
I agree that some of the slander/libel laws are a little bit godawful, but I'm pretty happy about having their campaigning limited to only 2 weeks. Imagine if this went on for an entire season?  :shocked: :huh: :cry:
 I'd go nuts!

The problem is how do new candidates make themselves known in the district they are running in?  They can't really unless they are already famous.  So, they end up being limited to these music trucks where they don't actually say what they will do or what they stand for.  I don't think 3 or 4 months campaigning before the election is unreasonable especially if it is an outsider trying to make themself known.  For now, a new candidate has to be solely dependent on their party which makes them more controlled.  It is really hard to challenge the system or the status quo with such restrictions on free speech. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13754 on: June 02, 2022, 01:50:22 pm »
in Canada (where your'e from) its 50 days.  thats still way too long
imagine if we had to put up with the Ted Cruz's of korea constantly blathering on about nothing to campaign for a couple sheckles.  The shorter the campaign, the better.  waste less money.

Sort of.  Official campaigning though this is a new thing.  Maybe past 10 or 15 years or something like that.  The official election campaign spending limits are in place.  But candidates go for the party nomination long before this and tend to unofficially campaign.  Also the party leaders may do some light touring, barbecues, etc. 

I remember for months before the 2015 election the governing Conservatives ran ads on Trudeau.  Once the election was declared election spending limits had to be respected.  It is nothing as strict as Korea.  But if an outsider wants to rally support, they need the time to make themselves known and put their ideas out there.  Campaigning in some ways never stops especially for newer and smallest parties.  For example, Maxime Bernier is always having events and speaking on issues. 

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1532053362472112129?cxt=HHwWgsC-8c-a-cIqAAAA

Some ads ran for months before the election in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQOcN5uOlBc

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13755 on: June 02, 2022, 01:53:40 pm »
Of course folks did vote for him and the rest has been ditzy history....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbmHVnA0JLg

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13756 on: June 02, 2022, 01:55:59 pm »
The problem is how do new candidates make themselves known in the district they are running in?  They can't really unless they are already famous.  So, they end up being limited to these music trucks where they don't actually say what they will do or what they stand for.  I don't think 3 or 4 months campaigning before the election is unreasonable especially if it is an outsider trying to make themself known.  For now, a new candidate has to be solely dependent on their party which makes them more controlled.  It is really hard to challenge the system or the status quo with such restrictions on free speech. 
Personally, I disagree.
We live in the digital era: anybody who wants to know about you and your party can look it up in less than a minute.
If you can't get people to care about what you represent in 2 weeks, you won't be able to get them to care with an extra 6.
In any case, the whole popularity contest portion of modern elections is a total joke (in a sad way, not a funny one), and has thoroughly subverted the spirit of democracy. You're electing somebody who will be deciding national /regional/municipal policies, not a class valedictorian! Mud slinging and obviously bogus promises that election campaigns seem to rely on as their primary draws are pure entertainment, nothing more. Election season is a circus.

I also think that restricting the period of time when political parties can disturb everybody around them with their idiocy to only a few weeks is not an infringement of free speech, especially considering that it's just a narrowing of existing restrictions. One imagines that party platforms are available to look up and examine at any time online if a voter is curious.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13757 on: June 02, 2022, 02:03:29 pm »
Personally, I disagree.
We live in the digital era: anybody who wants to know about you and your party can look it up in less than a minute.
If you can't get people to care about what you represent in 2 weeks, you won't be able to get them to care with an extra 6.
In any case, the whole popularity contest portion of modern elections is a total joke (in a sad way, not a funny one), and has thoroughly subverted the spirit of democracy. You're electing somebody who will be deciding national /regional/municipal policies, not a class valedictorian! Mud slinging and obviously bogus promises that election campaigns seem to rely on as their primary draws are pure entertainment, nothing more. Election season is a circus.

I also think that restricting the period of time when political parties can disturb everybody around them with their idiocy to only a few weeks is not an infringement of free speech, especially considering that it's just a narrowing of existing restrictions. One imagines that party platforms are available to look up and examine at any time online if a voter is curious.

You can't advertise before then.  People still want to meet you and you need to attend public meetings with question and answer sessions, go to the Saturday market shake hands etc.  The establishment politicians benefit by the Korean system.  An outsider challenging the system has a very hard time.  Most people aren't motivated by a web search.  They need to meet and see the person good or bad.  If America had this system, Hillary Clinton would have been the President in 2016.  Of course if you're a hard core lefty, then I guess you would like that.  But she is crooked as hell and more of the establishment and shows that things would never change.  No trade deals would have been renegotiated, etc.  No pushing NATO to pay 2 per cent of GDP for defense like they were suppose to do.  Etc etc. Also on the other side, Bernie would have not stood a chance to do as well as he did on the Democratic side even if the Clinton's rigged it against him with their artificial Superdelegates.    The point is change can't happen and outsiders can't challenge things with these extreme free speech restrictions.  Heck I don't even know what these dancing music trucks do?  There is even laws against speaking against your opponents and making a run for office. 

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #13758 on: June 02, 2022, 02:04:12 pm »
Of course folks did vote for him and the rest has been ditzy history....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbmHVnA0JLg
no one voted for Trudeau. 
in canada, we dont vote for the prime minister.
the party elects their own leader.

« Reply #13759 on: June 02, 2022, 02:13:14 pm »
My co-teacher is driving me nuts. She comes into my room every 10-15 minutes to show me / confirm stuff I already told her a million times. It's nothing complicated at all... I really hate having to hand-hold people through things they should really know how to do.