Read 3269397 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13620 on: March 01, 2022, 01:37:40 pm »
When exactly is the contract ending? If you have at least a month, then you have the right to use a so called 계약갱신청구권. This ensures that the landlord can't raise the rent more than 5%.
He was supposed to let you know about the planned raise from 6 months to 1 month before the end of the contract. If they let you know with less then a month remaining, then they have no right to raise. If there is more than one month left, you should text or call the landlord immediately, and tell them that you will use a 계약갱신청구권. Record the call. Don't wait with it untill tomorrow. Best would be to text, kakao and call as well. Timing is crucial.
And you can ask for advice tomorrow from a co-worker or a budongsan. But not the budongsan where you signed your current contract. They will likely be on the landlord's side because they keep bringing them new business. So they would just feed you some bs how you are wrong.

The contract ends the last day of March. So it would seem they gave me exactly one month notice. How thoughtful of them.

I appreciate your response. Truthfully, I thought there would be some eventual fallout from moving here. On the day I went to put down the key money last year the manager was rude as hell and looked at me like a was a cobra. A bad omen. However, no real issues until last week.  I was brushing my teeth on the couch (don't you judge me) and one of my neighbors across the hall slammed her door to leave so loudly that fight-or-flight kicked in and I think I thought we were being bombed, as my heart raced and couch shook. It was 1 a.m. and was not the first time she's done that. I opened my door, caught up with her down the hallway, pointed to her door, and very firmly told her not to slam her door. I  looked all the more menacing with toothpaste dripping down my chin, and I think she thought I was literally frothing at the mouth. No doubt a word was mentioned to management about a rabid foreigner.

Life goes on. Time to leave. But I'll always have those memories.  8)

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #13621 on: March 01, 2022, 01:50:17 pm »
The contract ends the last day of March. So it would seem they gave me exactly one month notice. How thoughtful of them.

I appreciate your response. Truthfully, I thought there would be some eventual fallout from moving here. On the day I went to put down the key money last year the manager was rude as hell and looked at me like a was a cobra. A bad omen. However, no real issues until last week.  I was brushing my teeth on the couch (don't you judge me) and one of my neighbors across the hall slammed her door to leave so loudly that fight-or-flight kicked in and I think I thought we were being bombed, as my heart raced and couch shook. It was 1 a.m. and was not the first time she's done that. I opened my door, caught up with her down the hallway, pointed to her door, and very firmly told her not to slam her door. I  looked all the more menacing with toothpaste dripping down my chin, and I think she thought I was literally frothing at the mouth. No doubt a word was mentioned to management about a rabid foreigner.

Life goes on. Time to leave. But I'll always have those memories.  8)

If they notified you today, and the contract ends on the last day of this month, then it is less than a month's notice. Yesterday would've been the last day when they could notify you.
I could be wrong though but to me it seems you have the right to stay and they can't even raise the rent. So if you want to stay, seek some professional advice from a budongsan. Ask a Korean friend to help you with this.
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

« Reply #13622 on: March 01, 2022, 04:21:00 pm »
Why would Corona make rent go up? Everyone pays rent always. For all months. For all time. For everyone.

5 mill extra? The FACK

« Reply #13623 on: March 01, 2022, 06:21:41 pm »
If it was a two year contract, you have a lot of protection if you choose to renew for another two years. I've forgotten the exact rules, but you should look into it.

« Reply #13624 on: March 01, 2022, 10:30:13 pm »
1 year contract. The corona thing is clearly an attempt to squeeze out more money. Maybe the global economy was such that their interest rates were lower, thus landlords wanting more key money? Hell if I know. I never took economics 101 in Community College.

Tis the best of times, tis the worst of times. I've been screwed so many times here that the ol' bum is now like the grand canyon receiving a thrown thumbtack.

I hear the grass is greener in China, though. Right?

;)

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #13625 on: March 01, 2022, 11:03:28 pm »
1 year contract.

Actually, even if the contract was made for one year, you can stay there for two years. All rental contracts are for two years, even if it's written for less than 2 years. It's the law.
So you can just stay there for another year and a landlord can't do anything about it. Can't raise the rent unless you agree and can't put you out. You have the right to stay!
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

« Reply #13626 on: March 02, 2022, 12:03:53 pm »
I JUST broke my clicker thingy. I'm so mad at myself.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13627 on: March 02, 2022, 12:56:46 pm »
219,241 new coronavirus infections today.

Iím shocked!

How much higher can the daily total become?

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #13628 on: March 02, 2022, 03:00:52 pm »

Iím shocked!

275,000 was the estimate for the peak.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13629 on: March 02, 2022, 09:59:59 pm »
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that about 43% of the country has had the virus.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/01/health/140-million-covid-19-infections/index.html

Wisconsin has the highest seroprevalence, with an estimated 56.1% of its population infected by the coronavirus at some point.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ __________________
I'm surprised by how contagious this virus is. That's the sad part. The good news is it's less lethal than we had originally feared, looking at an infection to death ratio. It's way less than 1%. Even for a country as aged, unvaccinated, and out of shape as America.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #13630 on: March 03, 2022, 05:57:31 pm »

Iím shocked!

They just started testing 3 million children twice a week. That will bring out cases that would go undetected otherwise. Even if just 2-3% of those tests will be positive, that will increase the already high daily figures significantly.
Tomorrow will be a new daily record again.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13631 on: March 04, 2022, 11:44:07 am »
This was supposed to be a year of recovery for a travel industry hit hard by the global coronavirus pandemic. But Russia's invasion of Ukraine may have just changed that.

After two years of disrupted travel due to ever-changing Covid-19 restrictions, airlines and tour operators are once again bracing for closed skies, cancellations and a cloud of uncertainty over international travel.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/russia-ukraine-hurt-travel-recovery-cmd/index.html

Global crude oil price surges will make any type of travel more expensive. Coupled with potentially longer air routes that need more fuel as they circumvent closed Russian air space, the higher prices will eventually need to be passed on to the consumer.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13632 on: March 04, 2022, 06:00:36 pm »
Tomorrow will be a new daily record again.

The prediction came true, and by a heck of a lot.  :shocked:

266,853 new coronavirus infections

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220304000185

Health authorities expected the current wave to peak at some 250,000 daily cases in mid-March but the daily cases have already exceeded the projected figure.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #13633 on: March 05, 2022, 07:51:27 am »
The prediction came true, and by a heck of a lot.  :shocked:

266,853 new coronavirus infections

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220304000185

Health authorities expected the current wave to peak at some 250,000 daily cases in mid-March but the daily cases have already exceeded the projected figure.

Not my prediction.
https://corona-live.com/
Yesterday's numbers at 11pm were slightly higher compared to the day before at the same time. So the official figure that will be published in an hour or so will likely be another new record. Or close to it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 07:54:55 am by Lazio »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13634 on: March 05, 2022, 10:09:38 am »
Over a quarter million again today.
___________________ __________________
The health authorities have said the current wave is expected to peak at some 350,000 daily cases in around mid-March as the highly contagious omicron variant is raging across the nation.

Expected daily peak revised from 250k to 350k? Big jump. Might have to be revised higher. 400k?

Fauci said Omicron will find nearly everyone eventually. Do you think that will happen in Korea? How many millions will end up having had coronavirus?

The business curfew was extended at a time when cases reached an all time high. Seems like odd timing. Maybe related to the election?

« Reply #13635 on: March 07, 2022, 11:48:49 am »
I stayed up too late last night.

I also forgot to bring my new clicker thingy to school today.

« Reply #13636 on: March 14, 2022, 11:50:10 am »
Am I the only one who cringes whenever someone brings up their alleged IQ? No?

Then why dafuq do some people do it? What exactly do they think they're accomplishing? Do they think it's a flex?

Because my knee-jerk response to it is to think that they're lying about their IQs, lol. It's such a socially cringey thing to do and normally has no place in a discussion or argument whatsoever, and it's hard for me to accept that someone with a legitimately high IQ wouldn't get that.

But then I remember that there are all kinds of intelligences, and that they don't necessarily transfer.

Still tho. Telling me your IQ when I didn't ask is basically the same as telling me you're a douche. My silence afterwards isn't due to reverence or feeling intimidated or whatever you're trying to get from me. What I'm actually doing is trying really, really hard to contain my scorn, lol. Good job, you sure showed me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:52:24 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #13637 on: March 14, 2022, 11:57:40 am »
Sort of related, I pulled a back muscle somehow.  :cry:

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13638 on: March 14, 2022, 12:04:58 pm »
Sort of related, I pulled a back muscle somehow.  :cry:
From holding in all the scorn?
 :smiley:

My rant of the day: differences in opinion are one thing, but I *really* wish people would fact check statements before posting them online. Some comments are just exhausting to read.  :sad:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 12:17:05 pm by Kyndo »

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13639 on: March 14, 2022, 12:24:35 pm »
This was supposed to be a year of recovery for a travel industry hit hard by the global coronavirus pandemic. But Russia's invasion of Ukraine may have just changed that.

After two years of disrupted travel due to ever-changing Covid-19 restrictions, airlines and tour operators are once again bracing for closed skies, cancellations and a cloud of uncertainty over international travel.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/russia-ukraine-hurt-travel-recovery-cmd/index.html

Global crude oil price surges will make any type of travel more expensive. Coupled with potentially longer air routes that need more fuel as they circumvent closed Russian air space, the higher prices will eventually need to be passed on to the consumer.

The media always needs something to hyperventilate about.  Non stop negativity and your brain cells become altered if you watch too much of that garbage.  First it was orange man bad, then it was covid was going to kill us all, now it's all about Russia (though I do disagree with the invasion).  What next?
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.