Read 2842921 times

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13600 on: December 16, 2021, 08:48:26 am »
On the flip side, when I went to a local clinic to check out my abdominal pain earlier this year (a pain that I was hand-waving away as a delayed reaction to the vaccine or something, or idk, food poisoning), even though the ultrasound didn't show anything, the lady who checked me there was firm that the location of the pain was concerning, and that I needed more tests elsewhere. Local hospital was swamped (Corona and a strike, I think), so I went to some surgery/health center, and within like three hours, I had a CT scan and was prepping for surgery to get my appendix out.

After reading lots of stories of people who tried to wait appendicitis out (not knowing what it was); I'm very glad that she made me get that second test.

Nice, for me last year, I had insomnia for a few months, and then I started getting discomfort around my heart area. Got rushed to my local hospital where they quickly tested me, and showed me as healthy, they referred me to a big hospital in Seoul. During the first consultation, about my insomnia, they said: Sleep better. They told me all the ways I can help improve my sleep (everything I was already doing), and then kept telling me to sleep better, and ignore the discomfort around the heart. I had to keep going to my local area, and then the doctor there personally called the doctor at the big hospital, who then reluctantly sent me to a cardiologist, but ignored all my insomnia stuff. They used the year slowly testing my heart which showed it as healthy. My insomnia kept getting worse, I eventually found a sleep clinic locally who gives me meds to help me sleep, but every 2 - 4 months, my insomnia gets worse and I have to take stronger meds.

Recently, I started getting chest discomfort again, in a different area, my insomnia is also getting worse again, so my local doctors both gave me a referral to a different big hospital in a different city who, again, don't seem to be taking my issues seriously at all. Funnily enough, I have a Korean friend, she recently got insomnia herself, and on her first visit to the doctor - at the same hospital I went to, they rushed her into a sleep study, whereas, I can't even get the tests other doctors think I need with their referrals.

I'm glad you had a good outcome with yours, mine tend to be just wasting my time and money >.<

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13601 on: December 16, 2021, 09:19:53 am »
"Corona" as a word, especially a capital letter, is NOT the English word for COVID-19 or the recent coronovirus.

It is the name of a beer you can buy at most corner stores in Korea.

Konglish ain't English. It is a kind of Korean. Loan words are changed and used however in other languages.

A "hot dog" in the Korean language is a friggin' corn dog in English: no bun, no hot dog. Not in English.

Similarly, pastries aren't bread. The bread="bbang" translation isn't equivalent. Many things Koreans call "bbang" is not bread in English. The litmus test: if it isn't used to make sandwiches or spread butter, jam on... it ain't bread.(99 times out of 100)

Rant over.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:22:21 am by VanIslander »

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13602 on: December 16, 2021, 09:28:49 am »
"Corona" as a word, especially a capital letter, is NOT the English word for COVID-19 or the recent coronovirus.

It is the name of a beer you can buy at most corner stores in Korea.

Konglish ain't English. It is a kind of Korean. Loan words are changed and used however in other languages.

A "hot dog" in the Korean language is a friggin' corn dog in English: no bun, no hot dog. Not in English.

Similarly, pastries aren't bread. The bread="bang" translation isn't equivalent. Many things Koreans call "bang" is not bread in English. The litmus test: if it isn't used to make sandwiches or spread butter, jam on... it ain't bread.(99 times out of 100)

Rant over.

Actually, in NZ we have used hotdog the same way Koreans use hotdog, for at least 30 odd years.
A deep fried, battered, sausage on a stick is also a hotdog in NZ; We also use hotdog for a sausage in a bun with tomato sauce, and sometimes mustard. We don't use corn dog in NZ, at least, I've never heard someone use the term corndog in NZ.

I also use "Corona" to refer to covid-19/coronavirus, as it's faster to type/write/say, it's more like using a nickname than Konglish. In the same way you might call a person named 'Zackery' 'Zac', or 'Christopher' 'Chris'.

« Reply #13603 on: December 16, 2021, 10:07:15 am »
Actually, in NZ we have used hotdog the same way Koreans use hotdog, for at least 30 odd years.
A deep fried, battered, sausage on a stick is also a hotdog in NZ; We also use hotdog for a sausage in a bun with tomato sauce, and sometimes mustard. We don't use corn dog in NZ, at least, I've never heard someone use the term corndog in NZ.
I also use "Corona" to refer to covid-19/coronavirus, as it's faster to type/write/say, it's more like using a nickname than Konglish. In the same way you might call a person named 'Zackery' 'Zac', or 'Christopher' 'Chris'.

You're dead right Kayos! I said a similar thing over in the 'egg roll' thread. While I'd heard the word 'corn dog' from American films, I'd never actually seen one. For some reason I always thought that they were corn, or some form, on a stick.
And yeah, we all know that Corona is a beer (Van Islander). Like you Kayos, I just use the word 'Corona' to refer to COVID. It's just easier when everyone else around you is using the same nickname/expression.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13604 on: December 16, 2021, 10:15:04 am »
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20211216000074

Just in time to enjoy those Christmas and New Year gatherings.

"The government has halted the measure for phased daily recovery as infections continue to surge. From Saturday, the number of people allowed to attend private gatherings will be reduced to four and entertainment facilities, restaurants, and cafes will only be open until 9 p.m. nationwide."
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. That’s the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me I’m the smartest person they’ve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13605 on: December 16, 2021, 10:32:06 am »
You're dead right Kayos! I said a similar thing over in the 'egg roll' thread. While I'd heard the word 'corn dog' from American films, I'd never actually seen one. For some reason I always thought that they were corn, or some form, on a stick.
And yeah, we all know that Corona is a beer (Van Islander). Like you Kayos, I just use the word 'Corona' to refer to COVID. It's just easier when everyone else around you is using the same nickname/expression.

Same here, I thought a corn dog was more similar to a cornfritter or something, but made of corn haha.

I agree, and my life motto is: Anything that makes my life easier. :P

« Reply #13606 on: December 16, 2021, 10:59:10 am »
Anyone who thinks the rules of language are to be dictatated from the top-down and do not actually come around from the bottom up are fighting a futile struggle. People will say what they will. The people have always had the final say. Yes, teach formal language for formal use but recognize its limits.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13607 on: December 16, 2021, 12:03:43 pm »
1. The batter is made from corn flour. That's why it's a corn dog. The thing is an American invention. Again, in American English: a sausage on a stick ain't a hot dog. You need a bun.

2. You won't see "Corona" in a sentence in the New York Times to refer to the recent coronavirus or COVID-19.

3. Of course many foreigners in Korea adopt Konglish as if it is English, especially when talking with Koreans. LOAN words have a long history of shape shifting. That croissant ain't bread but heck if locals say they had bread for breakfast you roll with it.

« Reply #13608 on: December 16, 2021, 01:15:00 pm »
1.... Again, in American English: a sausage on a stick ain't a hot dog. You need a bun.

This is the first time you mentioned 'American'. You just said English. So, there is no 'again'. Hence the reply from Kayos and confirmation from me. In NZ English, a sausage on a stick is a hot dog. By saying 'again', you are coming across as condescending. Leopards and spots and all the rest!

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13609 on: December 16, 2021, 01:37:58 pm »
1. The batter is made from corn flour. That's why it's a corn dog. The thing is an American invention. Again, in American English: a sausage on a stick ain't a hot dog. You need a bun.

2. You won't see "Corona" in a sentence in the New York Times to refer to the recent coronavirus or COVID-19.

3. Of course many foreigners in Korea adopt Konglish as if it is English, especially when talking with Koreans. LOAN words have a long history of shape shifting. That croissant ain't bread but heck if locals say they had bread for breakfast you roll with it.

1. Like what Kurt said, you only said English, not specifically American English, in NZ, and pretty sure Australia too, hotdog can be used for sausage on a stick, unsure about UK, SA, and Can though.  Also, if you are being nit-picky about where things come from, Americans have the phrase: "As American as apple pie." to refer to something that is very American, but the apple pie originates from England, so why are you Americans using it the wrong way?  :P :P

2. Of course not, media outlets tend to have to be formal, unless it's an opinion piece, so of course they are going to be using 'coronavirus' or 'covid-19'. However, when talking to others, we tend to be less formal unless the situation requires formalities, so using 'corona' instead of 'covid-19' or 'coronavirus' is perfectly fine, and not really Konglish. In fact, when my parents, who haven't been outside of NZ, and my friends from NZ contact me, even they use corona instead of covid-19 or coronavirus.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13610 on: December 28, 2021, 07:54:55 am »
Red or Green?

RED) Hey, let's take a side street with two left turns that goes through the apartment complex
OR
B) let's go straight with no left turns and is half the distance. He can cross the street.

I don't think he's stupid or trying to rip me off. but Jesus, we're already on a 6 lane road that flows well. I'm not some princess that needs to be dropped off at the door of my school.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:04:24 am by CO2 »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13611 on: December 28, 2021, 08:04:24 am »
Red or Green?

RED) Het let's take a side street with two left turns that goes through the apartment complex
OR
B) let's go straight with no left turns and is half the distance. He can cross the street.

I don't think he's stupid or trying to rip me off. but Jesus, we're already on a 6 lane road that flows well. I'm not some princess that needs to be dropped off at the door of my school.
Wage vs. salary?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13612 on: December 28, 2021, 08:24:12 am »
All that blank space on the left of the red line is Anyang Prison. hahahaa
It's huge.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13613 on: December 31, 2021, 10:36:58 am »
Reading an old blog:
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________
Immigration asked for only two documents. Proof of residence and proof of employment.

https://bmvanhise.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/renewing-your-f-2-7-points-visa-in-korea/

Visa extension would not only be “no problem”, but I was getting a 5-year extension!
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _________

What an enormous change! Now a looonng list of documents is needed as well as point requirements met just to get a one year extension. WTF! Any other point visa holders out there feeling this pain?

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #13614 on: December 31, 2021, 02:30:37 pm »
Reading an old blog:
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________
Immigration asked for only two documents. Proof of residence and proof of employment.

https://bmvanhise.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/renewing-your-f-2-7-points-visa-in-korea/

Visa extension would not only be “no problem”, but I was getting a 5-year extension!
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _________

What an enormous change! Now a looonng list of documents is needed as well as point requirements met just to get a one year extension. WTF! Any other point visa holders out there feeling this pain?

I got my points visa back in 2017, and haven't had to renew it yet, because the officer gave me five years off the bat, for some reason (which I'm glad I got). I'm still unsure why, but my theory is that it's because I went to a rural office, they weren't busy (I think there was one other person there), and I went alone, did the whole thing in Korean, and had all my documents prepped (they seemed prepared for me to be missing something, or not to have the right amount of cash on me, but I did my research - on that blog you posted).

After those changes, though, I'm switching to the marriage visa (which I'm lucky to be able to do), and hoping to change to a residency visa from that two years down the road.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13615 on: December 31, 2021, 02:43:04 pm »
five years off the bat

Same. Five years to one year is a hell of a downgrade. Takes so many documents to renew now. A harder process than for an E-2. For a public school teacher, what’s the advantage of the F-2-7 if it’s just for a year? There is none I guess except for the hope the rules will revert to better. But seeing as how there’s been a continued downhill trajectory, I’d be surprised if things started going in the other direction.