• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13560 on: December 15, 2021, 01:57:07 pm »
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211206004051315?section=national/national#none

The expected pushback from parents

"Teenage students and parents are mounting protests over the looming enforcement of vaccine passports for adolescents, saying the measure amounts to forcing vaccination upon minors and could hinder the learning rights of the unvaccinated."

"Despite complaints, health authorities said there will be no shelving or postponing of the measure.

"Given the high value of the measure in protecting adolescents against COVID-19 infections, the public interest from giving protection outsizes the learning rights," Son Young-rae, a senior health ministry official, said in a briefing."

This government has done the same thing with restricting crypto earlier in the year, especially restricting foreigners.  It is an incredible mark of stubbornness where they do what they want and ignore what others want or need.  Seems pretty arrogant and high handed to me.  If the elections aren't rigged, then they will lose next year's Presidential election. 
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13561 on: December 15, 2021, 01:57:20 pm »
If you're going to be covid paranoid, just stay home and live in fear?  Isn't it better than being out and panicked all the time?  I have always eaten out and never had an issue since this began.

Aren't you the guy who has been scared to go to Seoul?
"I put quite a few pics online and got rated anywhere from 8.2 to 9.6 by lots of chicks. Of course, I can't claim to have the same looks now though Koreans are always saying "handsome" - hangook77

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13562 on: December 15, 2021, 01:59:02 pm »
Aren't you the guy who has been scared to go to Seoul?

I still eat at restaurants in my town and do things. 

My point is I don't go to a restaurant (or up to Seoul) and then freak out once I get there.  If you are going to freak out, then just stay home. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13563 on: December 15, 2021, 02:00:48 pm »
I have a massive headache, and I forgot to bring Advil with me to school. I'll try to sneak out to a pharmacy in a bit, but I'm dying rn.

Hopefully, your school isn't lame.  I had many schools where I could just out out and they were cool.  Recently, I got a couple of schools that act strangely and read the contract line by line.  Hopefully, it works for you.  I got 4 schools and I always keep a mini pharmacy at all my schools just in case. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 07:01:35 am by Kyndo »

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #13564 on: December 15, 2021, 02:07:20 pm »
I still eat at restaurants in my town and do things. 

Are they checking vaccine passports at restaurants in your town?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13565 on: December 15, 2021, 02:22:23 pm »
This government has done the same thing with restricting crypto earlier in the year, especially restricting foreigners.  It is an incredible mark of stubbornness where they do what they want and ignore what others want or need.

Did you see taxation of crypto has been delayed until at least 2023. But…the no foreigners bit stayed in place. Maybe because foreigners can’t vote?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13566 on: December 15, 2021, 02:56:03 pm »
Did you see taxation of crypto has been delayed until at least 2023. But…the no foreigners bit stayed in place. Maybe because foreigners can’t vote?

Well, the Korean left has always been the more racist of the two ideologies.  They have to speak more politely now because things get translated now.  But go back 10 or 15 years when people were more inclined to speak what they thought (no filter) and see what some are still thinking. 

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #13567 on: December 15, 2021, 03:05:25 pm »
I don't know.  I haven't been this week yet.  I heard an un vaccinated person can only be solo or a crowd can only have one person.  I guess, I will find out if they changed the rule and became more fascist.  Anyways, I was eating out with no fear unlike some.
Proof of vaccine became mandatory and enforced this week. Notably in schools, restaurants, gyms, and hagwons. Surely you've been informed about this from your school. You would be working illegally, and your school would be fined several million won if it were discovered you were unvaccinated.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #13568 on: December 16, 2021, 07:57:28 am »
On Tuesday, I had to go to a big city hospital to get my sleep checked, even had a referral from my local clinic doctor to get my sleep tested, when I made the appointment, I told them all the symptoms, and said my doctor (who often just tries to bury a problem with meds) said it's time to get tested to find out what is causing my insomnia and has given me a referral letter to get a sleep study done. They said ok, and made the booking. I also requested seeing just a GP in the hospital about my knee and shoulder as I think I might have injured them during exercise, got told no problem.
I get to the hospital on Tuesday, the doctor in the sleep area just gives me a consultation, refuses to honor the referral, and gives me the exact same medicine that my local doctor gives me. They also never set something up to check my knee or shoulder and refused to let me see a doctor about them.

After having to go to hospitals here A LOT last year cause of some major health issues, my experience has been, while it's affordable and generally pretty quick to be seen here, it takes a long time for a doctor to take you seriously, and when they finally do, they are very inefficient with how they check you out. When I went with my co-teacher, the hospital trips to my tiny local area were often more efficient compared to when I'd go to a big city hospital with an international section.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #13569 on: December 16, 2021, 08:05:16 am »
After having to go to hospitals here A LOT last year cause of some major health issues, my experience has been, while it's affordable and generally pretty quick to be seen here, it takes a long time for a doctor to take you seriously, and when they finally do, they are very inefficient with how they check you out.

On the flip side, when I went to a local clinic to check out my abdominal pain earlier this year (a pain that I was hand-waving away as a delayed reaction to the vaccine or something, or idk, food poisoning), even though the ultrasound didn't show anything, the lady who checked me there was firm that the location of the pain was concerning, and that I needed more tests elsewhere. Local hospital was swamped (Corona and a strike, I think), so I went to some surgery/health center, and within like three hours, I had a CT scan and was prepping for surgery to get my appendix out.

After reading lots of stories of people who tried to wait appendicitis out (not knowing what it was); I'm very glad that she made me get that second test.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13570 on: December 16, 2021, 08:15:52 am »
On the flip side, when I went to a local clinic to check out my abdominal pain earlier this year (a pain that I was hand-waving away as a delayed reaction to the vaccine or something, or idk, food poisoning), even though the ultrasound didn't show anything, the lady who checked me there was firm that the location of the pain was concerning, and that I needed more tests elsewhere. Local hospital was swamped (Corona and a strike, I think), so I went to some surgery/health center, and within like three hours, I had a CT scan and was prepping for surgery to get my appendix out.

After reading lots of stories of people who tried to wait appendicitis out (not knowing what it was); I'm very glad that she made me get that second test.

Health care here is superior to Canada.  Staff at the ER hospital back home try to brush you off and get rid of you avoiding ordering tests and arguing with you in a testy way plus you have to wait 15 or 20 hours.  Not really much in the way of private clnics or hospitals.  I think there is a private MRI clinic and a couple of other small facilities.  Still have to make an appointment but you pay the whole thing which is a lot more than here.  Korea pays much of it whether you go to a private clinic or a public one.  Korea is also very fast.  (Of course there are cons too.)

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13571 on: December 16, 2021, 08:48:26 am »

Nice, for me last year, I had insomnia for a few months, and then I started getting discomfort around my heart area. Got rushed to my local hospital where they quickly tested me, and showed me as healthy, they referred me to a big hospital in Seoul. During the first consultation, about my insomnia, they said: Sleep better. They told me all the ways I can help improve my sleep (everything I was already doing), and then kept telling me to sleep better, and ignore the discomfort around the heart. I had to keep going to my local area, and then the doctor there personally called the doctor at the big hospital, who then reluctantly sent me to a cardiologist, but ignored all my insomnia stuff. They used the year slowly testing my heart which showed it as healthy. My insomnia kept getting worse, I eventually found a sleep clinic locally who gives me meds to help me sleep, but every 2 - 4 months, my insomnia gets worse and I have to take stronger meds.

Recently, I started getting chest discomfort again, in a different area, my insomnia is also getting worse again, so my local doctors both gave me a referral to a different big hospital in a different city who, again, don't seem to be taking my issues seriously at all. Funnily enough, I have a Korean friend, she recently got insomnia herself, and on her first visit to the doctor - at the same hospital I went to, they rushed her into a sleep study, whereas, I can't even get the tests other doctors think I need with their referrals.

I'm glad you had a good outcome with yours, mine tend to be just wasting my time and money >.<

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #13572 on: December 16, 2021, 09:19:53 am »
"Corona" as a word, especially a capital letter, is NOT the English word for COVID-19 or the recent coronovirus.

It is the name of a beer you can buy at most corner stores in Korea.

Konglish ain't English. It is a kind of Korean. Loan words are changed and used however in other languages.

A "hot dog" in the Korean language is a friggin' corn dog in English: no bun, no hot dog. Not in English.

Similarly, pastries aren't bread. The bread="bbang" translation isn't equivalent. Many things Koreans call "bbang" is not bread in English. The litmus test: if it isn't used to make sandwiches or spread butter, jam on... it ain't bread.(99 times out of 100)

Rant over.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:22:21 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13573 on: December 16, 2021, 09:28:49 am »
"Corona" as a word, especially a capital letter, is NOT the English word for COVID-19 or the recent coronovirus.

It is the name of a beer you can buy at most corner stores in Korea.

Konglish ain't English. It is a kind of Korean. Loan words are changed and used however in other languages.

A "hot dog" in the Korean language is a friggin' corn dog in English: no bun, no hot dog. Not in English.

Similarly, pastries aren't bread. The bread="bang" translation isn't equivalent. Many things Koreans call "bang" is not bread in English. The litmus test: if it isn't used to make sandwiches or spread butter, jam on... it ain't bread.(99 times out of 100)

Rant over.

Actually, in NZ we have used hotdog the same way Koreans use hotdog, for at least 30 odd years.
A deep fried, battered, sausage on a stick is also a hotdog in NZ; We also use hotdog for a sausage in a bun with tomato sauce, and sometimes mustard. We don't use corn dog in NZ, at least, I've never heard someone use the term corndog in NZ.

I also use "Corona" to refer to covid-19/coronavirus, as it's faster to type/write/say, it's more like using a nickname than Konglish. In the same way you might call a person named 'Zackery' 'Zac', or 'Christopher' 'Chris'.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13574 on: December 16, 2021, 10:15:04 am »
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20211216000074

Just in time to enjoy those Christmas and New Year gatherings.

"The government has halted the measure for phased daily recovery as infections continue to surge. From Saturday, the number of people allowed to attend private gatherings will be reduced to four and entertainment facilities, restaurants, and cafes will only be open until 9 p.m. nationwide."
"I put quite a few pics online and got rated anywhere from 8.2 to 9.6 by lots of chicks. Of course, I can't claim to have the same looks now though Koreans are always saying "handsome" - hangook77

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13575 on: December 16, 2021, 10:32:06 am »
You're dead right Kayos! I said a similar thing over in the 'egg roll' thread. While I'd heard the word 'corn dog' from American films, I'd never actually seen one. For some reason I always thought that they were corn, or some form, on a stick.
And yeah, we all know that Corona is a beer (Van Islander). Like you Kayos, I just use the word 'Corona' to refer to COVID. It's just easier when everyone else around you is using the same nickname/expression.

Same here, I thought a corn dog was more similar to a cornfritter or something, but made of corn haha.

I agree, and my life motto is: Anything that makes my life easier. :P

« Reply #13576 on: December 16, 2021, 10:59:10 am »
Anyone who thinks the rules of language are to be dictatated from the top-down and do not actually come around from the bottom up are fighting a futile struggle. People will say what they will. The people have always had the final say. Yes, teach formal language for formal use but recognize its limits.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #13577 on: December 16, 2021, 12:03:43 pm »
1. The batter is made from corn flour. That's why it's a corn dog. The thing is an American invention. Again, in American English: a sausage on a stick ain't a hot dog. You need a bun.

2. You won't see "Corona" in a sentence in the New York Times to refer to the recent coronavirus or COVID-19.

3. Of course many foreigners in Korea adopt Konglish as if it is English, especially when talking with Koreans. LOAN words have a long history of shape shifting. That croissant ain't bread but heck if locals say they had bread for breakfast you roll with it.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13578 on: December 16, 2021, 01:37:58 pm »
1. The batter is made from corn flour. That's why it's a corn dog. The thing is an American invention. Again, in American English: a sausage on a stick ain't a hot dog. You need a bun.

2. You won't see "Corona" in a sentence in the New York Times to refer to the recent coronavirus or COVID-19.

3. Of course many foreigners in Korea adopt Konglish as if it is English, especially when talking with Koreans. LOAN words have a long history of shape shifting. That croissant ain't bread but heck if locals say they had bread for breakfast you roll with it.

1. Like what Kurt said, you only said English, not specifically American English, in NZ, and pretty sure Australia too, hotdog can be used for sausage on a stick, unsure about UK, SA, and Can though.  Also, if you are being nit-picky about where things come from, Americans have the phrase: "As American as apple pie." to refer to something that is very American, but the apple pie originates from England, so why are you Americans using it the wrong way?  :P :P

2. Of course not, media outlets tend to have to be formal, unless it's an opinion piece, so of course they are going to be using 'coronavirus' or 'covid-19'. However, when talking to others, we tend to be less formal unless the situation requires formalities, so using 'corona' instead of 'covid-19' or 'coronavirus' is perfectly fine, and not really Konglish. In fact, when my parents, who haven't been outside of NZ, and my friends from NZ contact me, even they use corona instead of covid-19 or coronavirus.

« Reply #13579 on: December 28, 2021, 07:54:55 am »
Red or Green?

RED) Hey, let's take a side street with two left turns that goes through the apartment complex
OR
B) let's go straight with no left turns and is half the distance. He can cross the street.

I don't think he's stupid or trying to rip me off. but Jesus, we're already on a 6 lane road that flows well. I'm not some princess that needs to be dropped off at the door of my school.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:04:24 am by CO2 »