Read 2843817 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13560 on: December 02, 2021, 02:33:13 pm »
How long until fully vaccinated people will be allowed to return to living normal lives?

How long will the pandemic last?

I foolishly thought those with immunization would be able to travel and not wear a mask and not have to keep getting tested and quarantine. I pray we’ll be able to get back to how things were someday soon.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13561 on: December 02, 2021, 02:40:17 pm »
How long until fully vaccinated people will be allowed to return to living normal lives?

I foolishly thought those with immunization would be able to travel and not wear a mask and not have to keep getting tested and quarantine. I pray we’ll be able to get back to how things were someday soon.

I've assumed masks and testing will stay for a while. I can see masks being required for at least the 2022 school year.
It's disappointing to see the return of quarantine requirements. Hopefully, it's not extended too long and those who are vaccinated will be able to avoid it in January.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. That’s the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me I’m the smartest person they’ve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13562 on: December 03, 2021, 09:47:27 am »

Never.  Hence all the promises in exchange for getting the vaccine are worthless. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13563 on: December 03, 2021, 09:48:58 am »
All those ranting about Korea's low wages maybe should read these stories.  Seems a great time in America to kick your boss to the curb.  Get a raise too.  (Interesting read.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/r77uun/i_work_at_wendys_and_i_was_told_today_franchise/

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13564 on: December 03, 2021, 09:50:21 am »
Why doesn't that Wendy's allow whiring?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13565 on: December 03, 2021, 09:51:57 am »
All those ranting about Korea's low wages maybe should read these stories.

sooo, you and your alt account? just message the article to them, i mean yourself.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13566 on: December 03, 2021, 10:01:16 am »
sooo, you and your alt account? just message the article to them, i mean yourself.

Don't have an alt account.  I'm not CO2.  Sorry to disappoint.  I just posted the feed for interest.  Take it or leave it.  Once covid is done, I may be tempted myself. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 10:26:04 am by hangook77 »

« Reply #13567 on: December 03, 2021, 10:16:09 am »
Some old fella clipped my car last night. I was parked and sitting in the drivers seat while my wife ducked into the shop for a fresh chicken. I nearly shit myself, as my car rocked and crackled. The old guy was blasting it as he went past. I leaned on my horn and he pulled up down the road, and reversed back. This guy about 80 in the shade appears. By this time my wife was back, and she pushed me back inside the car. He looked shaken up, and said he couldn't judge distances at night any more...very sorry, and I felt bad for him...but he should give up night driving. Luckily, for all the noise, it was his car that was damaged. Mine was just fine.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13568 on: December 03, 2021, 11:12:42 am »
Night driving can be tricky.
Driving in the city in the rain can be downright scary, as the road marking aren't always very clear and all the lights make everything look a bit wonky, especially if one has tinted windows.

I also hate those intersections on bigger roads with 3 or 4 lanes that don't clearly delineate the lanes in the actual intersection. When there's low visibility (raining/snowing), it's basically just guessing where you ought to be driving by watching the cars ahead of you... and who knows whether or not they're getting it right...

I've been driving here for about 6 or 7 years and haven't been in an accident yet, but sometimes I feel that it's all just been about luck...  :sad:

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13569 on: December 03, 2021, 11:27:23 am »
Night driving can be tricky.
Driving in the city in the rain can be downright scary, as the road marking aren't always very clear and all the lights make everything look a bit wonky, especially if one has tinted windows.

I also hate those intersections on bigger roads with 3 or 4 lanes that don't clearly delineate the lanes in the actual intersection. When there's low visibility (raining/snowing), it's basically just guessing where you ought to be driving by watching the cars ahead of you... and who knows whether or not they're getting it right...

I've been driving here for about 6 or 7 years and haven't been in an accident yet, but sometimes I feel that it's all just been about luck...  :sad:

Luck and a gaurdian angel.  It depends on where you drive.  In the country or a mid sized smaller city or a bigger city or near a bigger city. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13570 on: December 03, 2021, 11:49:16 am »
There's a student with a ............ walker? and she has some milbility issues, so in the cafeteria she sits by herslef every lunchtime.

Why? I can understand that with mentally challenged students that this may be necessary. I don't relish that fact but maybe they have problems being aorund other people too much or what have you, but the girl with the walker? Why?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13571 on: December 04, 2021, 07:16:25 am »
Report: World's 100 most polluted cities are all in Asia
https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-worlds-100-most-polluted-181639527.html
Millions die each year due to air pollution. In 2012 alone, the WHO reported that 7 million people — or 1 in 8 of the total global deaths — died as a result of air pollution.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13572 on: December 04, 2021, 08:03:17 pm »
Report: World's 100 most polluted cities are all in Asia
https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-worlds-100-most-polluted-181639527.html
Millions die each year due to air pollution. In 2012 alone, the WHO reported that 7 million people — or 1 in 8 of the total global deaths — died as a result of air pollution.
Indeed. Air pollution causes heart attacks. Back in 1996 I convinced my then-wife to move away from our high-traffic Toronto apartment (directly across the street from Ernest Hemingway's home) because of clear stats of health outcomes of

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #13573 on: December 06, 2021, 07:36:11 am »
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/12/119_319935.html

"The "vaccine pass" system, which allows fully vaccinated people or those with negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) results to enter multiuse facilities, will also be expanded.

While the system was previously in use at indoor sports facilities, karaoke rooms, public bathhouses and nightlife establishments, it will now be applied to almost all indoor public facilities, including restaurants, cafes, private academies ("hakwons"), internet cafes, movie theaters, concert halls, libraries and museums."

Looks like the government is making a big push to have students vaccinated. Will hesitant parents value education that much?
Will this lead to teachers being required to get vaccinated?
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. That’s the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me I’m the smartest person they’ve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13574 on: December 06, 2021, 08:07:58 am »
Even with a high vaccination rate, will people be afraid of new variants forever? Covid-19 has spread in animals - bats, deer, cats, dogs. It will mutate there. The way to beat every variant of Covid is to have a strong immune system. It’s impossible to vaccinate every wild animal on earth, so we’ve got to have a conversation about being healthy.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13575 on: December 06, 2021, 08:09:46 am »
Even with a high vaccination rate, will people be afraid of new variants forever? Covid-19 has spread in animals - bats, deer, cats, dogs. It will mutate there. The way to beat every variant of Covid is to have a strong immune system. It’s impossible to vaccinate every wild animal on earth, so we’ve got to have a conversation about being healthy.

Uh oh.  You spoke some sense.  Careful, though.  The PC police might try to shut you down. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13576 on: December 06, 2021, 08:17:43 am »
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/12/119_319935.html

"The "vaccine pass" system, which allows fully vaccinated people or those with negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) results to enter multiuse facilities, will also be expanded.

While the system was previously in use at indoor sports facilities, karaoke rooms, public bathhouses and nightlife establishments, it will now be applied to almost all indoor public facilities, including restaurants, cafes, private academies ("hakwons"), internet cafes, movie theaters, concert halls, libraries and museums."

Looks like the government is making a big push to have students vaccinated. Will hesitant parents value education that much?
Will this lead to teachers being required to get vaccinated?

This newer article makes no mention of some of these things.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/12/119_319990.html

"""Private gatherings in restaurants and cafes can include only one unvaccinated individual. For example, in a group of six, five participants should be immunized, while the remaining one person should submit a negative PCR test result.

The health authorities noted that an unvaccinated person will be allowed to enter a restaurant, cafe or a theater without submitting a PCR test result, if they are alone."""

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #13577 on: December 06, 2021, 08:44:19 am »
This newer article makes no mention of some of these things.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/12/119_319990.html

"""Private gatherings in restaurants and cafes can include only one unvaccinated individual. For example, in a group of six, five participants should be immunized, while the remaining one person should submit a negative PCR test result.

The health authorities noted that an unvaccinated person will be allowed to enter a restaurant, cafe or a theater without submitting a PCR test result, if they are alone."""

I don't think the stricter requirements would be much of an inconvenience if you do things alone or if you are the only person in your social group unvaccinated. However, if hagwon teachers are required to be vaccinated or get tested every other day, it could quickly become annoying for those teachers.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13578 on: December 06, 2021, 11:52:57 am »
I don't think the stricter requirements would be much of an inconvenience if you do things alone or if you are the only person in your social group unvaccinated. However, if hagwon teachers are required to be vaccinated or get tested every other day, it could quickly become annoying for those teachers.

I guess time to quit go home.  But the question is would they come back or would Korea lose the teachers for good.  South Africans are already banned from coming in.  I expect some teacher shortages for a while then.  They will lose too many teachers. 

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #13579 on: December 06, 2021, 11:53:48 am »

Aren't all teachers vaccinated by now? I thought that was already a rule issued by the Ministry of Education?