Read 2843806 times

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13480 on: November 02, 2021, 02:31:22 pm »
What if they are in my face and bothering me about it? What should I do then?

Challenge them to a Dance off, the kind you'd need to do if you are trying to raise money to save the rec' center.
Or some other form of contest you think you could best them in.

« Reply #13481 on: November 02, 2021, 02:42:28 pm »
Don't share your confused state of mind with us.  Just because you love dudes without nuts Mr Nut.  Don't project your propaganda onto the rest of us.  Keep that shit to yourself.  I don't care what kinks you're into in your free time.  But the rest of us could care less and don't need to listen to your bragging about it.  I understand now why you want to stay in Seoul for 2.1, trans hill in Itaewon is calling your name.  They shout out: "Where are my nuts?"  On Nut, your name is being called.  Go get your lovin' peachy boy....
Dude, grow the F up.

« Reply #13482 on: November 02, 2021, 02:47:25 pm »
Challenge them to a Dance off, the kind you'd need to do if you are trying to raise money to save the rec' center.
Or some other form of contest you think you could best them in.
Ahh the 80s...when conflicts were solved with absurd challenges ranging from dance-offs to spelling bees to lumberjack challenges and the gangs were basically "Draw a location+a sports team name/job out of a hat" and there you have it. "The Jersey Janitors? The Brooklyn Bears? The Soho Sailors? Sure!"

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13483 on: November 02, 2021, 02:51:07 pm »
Ahh the 80s...when conflicts were solved with absurd challenges ranging from dance-offs to spelling bees to lumberjack challenges and the gangs were basically "Draw a location+a sports team name/job out of a hat" and there you have it. "The Jersey Janitors? The Brooklyn Bears? The Soho Sailors? Sure!"

"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13484 on: November 02, 2021, 02:53:40 pm »
KEvin Bacon in that gif looks like the way Meryl Streep's skeleton would look if you made it smile and walk around a party being extra nice to everybody.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13485 on: November 02, 2021, 03:07:50 pm »

That form of conflict resolution needs to make a comeback. :o

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #13486 on: November 02, 2021, 05:44:09 pm »
…Plus umpteen hours gagging behind a mask on a plane.  No thanks. 

If wearing a mask makes you gag, you should get your halitosis treated.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13487 on: November 02, 2021, 06:25:36 pm »
Dude, grow the F up.

Dude, get a sense of humor....

« Reply #13488 on: November 03, 2021, 12:55:52 pm »
Dude, get a sense of humor....
Comedy lesson from the Rupert Pupkin of waygook.org. Thanks.

Your post wasn't funny. It was witless and devoid of any element of humor beyond that of the immature 5th grader who sees a bag of almonds on the desk and laughs "Nuts? HAHAHHAHA!!!"

You are to comedy what the Hindenburg was to flight and every one of us are Herbert Morrison having to witness it.

« Reply #13489 on: November 08, 2021, 11:13:49 am »
I_am_exhausted.

My worst classes are on Monday and Friday, the two worst days to have terrible classes, imo. Students are tired, they don't want to be in school, and problem students try to take it out on their teachers.

With final exams creeping closer, the vitriol has ramped way up, and some students have finally managed to dig themselves down far enough to hit fire and brimstone. SEVERAL of them have board meetings scheduled this week to discuss what will become of them. I suspect at least two of them will be expelled (aka "recommended for transfer").

The rest of them will probably return next year, and I doubt their behaviors will improve.

I really hate to say this, but I really don't like these particular students. They're kids, but most of them do not come from abusive households. They're 13-14 years old, old enough to know better. They've just been spoiled their whole lives. Their parents keep blaming the teachers and harassing the schools whenever their snowflakes get in trouble, and now these little assholes-in-training think they run the school. Meanwhile, kids with actual bad backgrounds with very little to no support behave better than they do.

Despite all of that, I do feel bad for them, because I still see kids sitting there not really understanding where their decisions are taking them. Their parents are the reasons why they are the way they are. But at the same time, they're at that age where they become their own people, and their decisions are solely their own now. What kind of people they choose to be at this point in their lives rests squarely on their shoulders, and their parents have NOT prepared them for that.

And I don't know how to feel about any of it except tired. I'm so sick of shitty parents ruining their kids.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 01:32:08 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #13490 on: November 08, 2021, 11:24:35 am »
I_am_exhausted.

My worst classes are on Monday and Friday, the two worst days to have terrible classes, imo. Students are tired, they don't want to be in school, and problem students try to take it out on their teachers.

This is exactly what happens when discipline extends no further than "Taking Minsoo out the class to talk to him".
These kids aren't stupid, they've quickly worked out that they can do whatever the hell they want as long as they're willing to endure a teacher telling them "Be quiet" for the 500th time or, horror, listening to a teacher lecture you about your bad behaviour.

The research has been done and it's been proven that kids learn through operant conditioning, positive and negative reinforcement. Minsoo makes an effort, reward his behaviour with encouragement and praise. Minsoo talks while the teacher is talking, punish him with writing out.

My CT, with a masters in education, doesn't employ these simple strategies and opts to buy a microphone so she can shout above the students or just gives the same students the same lecture week in and week out.

More than the parents, I blame the completely impotent education system. With all the bluster VPs and principals walk around with, not one of them has conceived the idea to enforce a school discipline system out of fear from the parents... pathetic.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13491 on: November 08, 2021, 11:46:06 am »
With all the bluster VPs and principals walk around with, not one of them has conceived the idea to enforce a school discipline system out of fear from the parents... pathetic.
This is what I don't understand. There's no tuition fee so how can the parents threaten in any meaningful way?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13492 on: November 08, 2021, 11:48:20 am »
If I had to guess: if enough students withdraw from a school, and its total numbers are reduced, its funding decreases the following year.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13493 on: November 08, 2021, 11:53:45 am »
This is exactly what happens when discipline extends no further than "Taking Minsoo out the class to talk to him".
These kids aren't stupid, they've quickly worked out that they can do whatever the hell they want as long as they're willing to endure a teacher telling them "Be quiet" for the 500th time or, horror, listening to a teacher lecture you about your bad behaviour.

The research has been done and it's been proven that kids learn through operant conditioning, positive and negative reinforcement. Minsoo makes an effort, reward his behaviour with encouragement and praise. Minsoo talks while the teacher is talking, punish him with writing out.

My CT, with a masters in education, doesn't employ these simple strategies and opts to buy a microphone so she can shout above the students or just gives the same students the same lecture week in and week out.

More than the parents, I blame the completely impotent education system. With all the bluster VPs and principals walk around with, not one of them has conceived the idea to enforce a school discipline system out of fear from the parents... pathetic.

Blame the legal system and the overemphasis on "human rights" in Korea.  It is an entirely new thing that has radically changed things here over night.  New laws, fear of new regulations, have everyone checking on each other and in a state of fear.  Getting worse here all the time and all in exchange for no raise to the salaries. 

On the other hand, this new "human rights" thing in Korea prob means more foreigners can challenge discrimination when they are denied services or anything else now.  I don't want to enter racist clubs in Gangnam or (now ) Itaewon.  But some of you E2's should take it to the new Human Rights COmmission since they are bending voer backwards to be ridiculous.  The waygooks might as well get something out of it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 11:56:33 am by hangook77 »

« Reply #13494 on: November 08, 2021, 12:05:11 pm »
Well, that's part of it, but a lot of it also has to do with defamation and loss of face.

Say, for example, a student assaults a teacher. Under Korean law, that teacher has the right to press charges against that student, and to sue the student and his/her parents for that assault. Culturally speaking, though, this is considered an incredibly low move of the teacher and would probably ruin that teacher's career. The teacher is expected to forgive the student, no matter what, so that the student may learn from their mistake and not have their future ruined by a bad mark on their record. If the teacher refuses to do this, they'll most likely get bullied right out of their profession, and black-listed everywhere.

On the other hand, though, students and parents may sue the teachers or schools for any perceived slight. Moreso, though, there are numerous incidences of parents contacting media organizations and making all sorts of claims against their kids' schools/teachers. Even when not named directly, enough information gets dropped or leaked that people can pretty much figure out who the involved persons are, and this has caused massive problems for both the schools and the teachers.

So schools try to avoid it, even if it means catering to the whims of the parents, even if those parents are 100% wrong.

In the past, and they still do this now, students with major behavior issues (often violent) were relocated to out-of-the-way rural schools, places so isolated that these students often had to stay in dorms. They didn't receive any kind of treatment, they were just kept separate from everyone else until they could graduate. But a lot of these schools have gotten or are getting shut down due to the lack of students, and on top of that more and more parents will not accept that their kids need intervention. Then add to that Korea's still poor stance of anything to do with psychological/mental welfare.

Cultural values that have not adapted well to shifting views and needs have basically created a rock and a hard place kind of scenario for schools, and laws that need to be created and enforced to protect both teachers and students are at a standstill. The laws that exist now heavily favor students (at least if they have parents with sufficient status), and any laws that protect teachers kind of get ignored by cultural expectations and hierarchy enforcing those expectations. This hits hard the other way, too, legitimately bad teachers get protected even if they're guilty of some pretty heinous abuse. Hierarchy tends to sweep a lot of things under the rug, regardless of laws.

It's not an easy problem to deal with, and there's no easy solution. The necessary changes they would need to make has some really strong political ramifications, and, honestly, I don't think what needs to be done will be done until the old guys in charge are finally retired or dead.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 02:22:13 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #13495 on: November 08, 2021, 12:10:19 pm »
The necessary changes they would need to make has some really strong political ramifications, and, honestly, I don't think what needs to be done will be done until the old guys in charge are finally retired or dead.

No truer words have been spoken.

Japan has the same problem, those in the most important positions of authority are Confucius dinosaurs, still clinging to their views from the 1950s.

It's going to require massive cultural shifts which need to be sped up by younger, more charismatic  and more passionate leaders who aren't afraid to take risks.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13496 on: November 08, 2021, 12:29:21 pm »
No truer words have been spoken.

Japan has the same problem, those in the most important positions of authority are Confucius dinosaurs, still clinging to their views from the 1950s.

It's going to require massive cultural shifts which need to be sped up by younger, more charismatic  and more passionate leaders who aren't afraid to take risks.

I agree with this, the good news, is the younger generations know, and seems, to understand this. It's basically a waiting game for them to reach the positions needed to start effecting change.
All my younger Korean, and Japanese, friends hate how things are still running under 'the old way', but say that most young people want things to change away from that. So, I think once they get into positions of power, it wouldn't be hard to make changes, since a lot of younger people will be for them, and hopefully at that time, the older gens stuck to their outdated ways are outnumbered by younger voters.

« Reply #13497 on: November 08, 2021, 12:36:36 pm »
Ooo, is there a website or something with approved countries?
I'm fully vaxxed, so likely wouldn't be a problem with the other stuff. :o

I'm pretty sure there is, but I don't know what it is, haha. It's probably a Korean website all in Korean, honestly.

These are a couple of FB groups that stay pretty up-to-date on the goings-on of the virus, including travel stuff. I tried to do a search but I think what I'm typing is either too specific or too vague, so my searches are a little too all over the place. One's a private group, one's a public:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/537368577187946/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/koreacovid19newsanddiscussion

« Reply #13498 on: November 08, 2021, 12:50:50 pm »
Ehh....Korea has undertaken some pretty drastic changes since 1950 and done pretty good with mass integration and conversion of its populace accepting a foreign religion whose followers DO exert influence in politics.

Give them some credit. That old generation has actually been pretty progressive all things considered, considering how much they've moved in that time.

If there's one thing that gets my goat a little- It's NETs who are activists from their phones lecturing older Koreans who lived under a military dictatorship and likely saw their university go on strike with significant demonstrations during the 1980s. Many of those old people they lecture got tear gassed and billy clubbed.

NET: "We know more about progress and rights. Why aren't you changing your culture? Listen to us you dinosaur!"
Ajosshi: "All those who have been tear-gassed protesting their dictator and helped turn their country into a democracy raise their hands! Thank you."
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 12:54:55 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13499 on: November 08, 2021, 01:56:40 pm »
Ehh....Korea has undertaken some pretty drastic changes since 1950 and done pretty good with mass integration and conversion of its populace accepting a foreign religion whose followers DO exert influence in politics.

Give them some credit. That old generation has actually been pretty progressive all things considered, considering how much they've moved in that time.

If there's one thing that gets my goat a little- It's NETs who are activists from their phones lecturing older Koreans who lived under a military dictatorship and likely saw their university go on strike with significant demonstrations during the 1980s. Many of those old people they lecture got tear gassed and billy clubbed.

NET: "We know more about progress and rights. Why aren't you changing your culture? Listen to us you dinosaur!"
Ajosshi: "All those who have been tear-gassed protesting their dictator and helped turn their country into a democracy raise their hands! Thank you."

I don't think anyone here is going that far but, Korea, and Japan, are in this weird state between the old ways and the progression they have made.
Both in Korea and Japan, it's really hard for people there to use paid vacation time. Japan doesn't even have sick days. In Korea, it's still kind of expected people come to work sick - even during our current covid times (I say this as 3 teachers around me are frequently coughing like they have a cold, and they've been doing so since last week).
Korea has come far in the last 80 odd years, but I feel like for it to progress more, they need younger people that are more in tune with todays issues. This happens back home too, the older generation has more experience in the political game and stuff, and even if they have made great progress during their time, they end up falling out of tune with current issues, and they are often stuck in their ways already, so they try to use the old ways of thinking to solve new problems. That usually ends up making things worse, not resolving anything, or resolves some issues but makes new issues out of things that weren't an issue to begin with.

A good example of this in Korea is trying to fix the birth rates. The government has been trying to incentivize people having children, but the people making the incentives don't seem to be aware why people don't really seem to want children these days, and while the incentives are better than nothing, don't really tackle the root of the problem. However, a younger person is likely going to understand the younger generation and why, and could likely come up with better incentives; or could suggest better changes elsewhere to help with the concerns the younger gen has about raising kids.

Then we have the student behavioral issues Chinguetti mentioned. We aren't really in the hierarchy and can see, and talk about, the issues. People in power might be turning a blind eye to stay in power, ontop of it being a slightly complicated issue to solve by taking in cultural differences and stuff into account. I think young people do see the issues, I have middle school students complain to me about some students being allowed to get away with anything, and they both understand, and hate, how things like that aren't getting changed. One of my students changed from my old Wednesday school, to my new Wednesday school, solely because the teachers were doing nothing about all the poorly behaved students (which was most of them), those students were hindering that student's learning, teachers couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it, so the student who wanted to learn had to change to an environment where they could actually learn.

I think most people are bringing up issues because they want Korea to be better, and are pointing out areas that can still be improved, rather than you thinking we are trying to lecture the older Korean people who had to suffer to make the positive changes they made.