Read 2843844 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13420 on: October 29, 2021, 07:57:07 am »
Just outside the window from my desk, at my Thur/Fri school, is a road. On the left side, closest to my window, is an incredible garden and a small house. This guy has bushes, trees, plants flowers and even a bonzai tree, he really takes excellent care of it and knows what he's doing. On the right side of the road is the side of a little hill, with trees and a few of farm patches. It strongly resembles 'The Shire'.

It's one of the best views you could ask for.... until...

A few weeks ago, this old dude rocks up and plonks down the ugliest f***ing metal shipping container right between this man's garden and the road. The container sits on old tires and all it's going to take is a heavy rainfall for that whole thing to slide into his garden. The container is covered with plastic and black mesh, that looks like it was bitten, not cut, to size. It IS THE ugliest damn structure in existence, I think the old guy is using it for a greenhouse. Not only is it ugly, but it now shades this man's garden and I'm sure much of his plants are going to die.

Definitely no plans where involved and I can't see this guy giving his approval to have this monstrosity put right next to his beloved garden. How is this allowed to happen?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13421 on: October 29, 2021, 08:56:52 am »
sounds like you need a HOA  :afro:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13422 on: October 29, 2021, 09:02:26 am »
sounds like you need a HOA  :afro:

HOAs are the strangest concept to me. "Our collective property prices will go down if someone paints their garage door brown."

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/17v1fx/what_are_your_homeowners_association_hoa_horror/

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13423 on: October 29, 2021, 09:08:28 am »
a lot of them are pretty weird yeah. wouldnt move somewhere with them personally, city regulations should be good enough to keep stuff mostly normal

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13424 on: October 29, 2021, 11:12:18 am »
a lot of them are pretty weird yeah. wouldnt move somewhere with them personally, city regulations should be good enough to keep stuff mostly normal

My father was the president of his HOA in a gated community in Florida.  He was pushed into because no one was opposing the current dictator and my dad, at 65, was one of the young bucks of the would be coup members.  He won and as much as he didn't want it, he took to it like a duck to water.  Amazing how many people agree to the covenant for the community with the expectation they'll just be able to ignore those rules later on.  Not with HOA President OnNut Sr. around.  Leave your garage door open over night and someone WILL complain, and my dad would issue a warning.  His street loved it but it became a pain in the ass and he wanted out after he had to deal with a reprimanded deputy who threatened to pull him over anytime he saw him on the road.  My dad actually had to make a formal complaint to the Sheriff's office about the guy.  It took awhile to get out because the only other person who wanted the job was the guy they ousted in the first place, so they had to wait until a new candidate showed interest.
I started to become concerned when one afternoon we were driving through and we saw these crackers from central casting driving in a John Deere vehicle with fishin' poles, and my dad literally pulled the car over, leapt out and went running after them to stop them because they were outsiders trying to go fishing in the community.  I had to explain to my dad after he returned without bullet wounds that President of the HOA was not in fact a title that bestowed great powers over the local cracker community in the Sarasota area. 

« Reply #13425 on: November 02, 2021, 08:02:54 am »
The past couple of weeks have been really, really hard. It's not going to get any better until this semester finally ends, too.

Kind of dreading next year as the problems that exist now are definitely going to carry over, but I'll be nice and recharged by then. I'll have spent a few weeks outside of Korea, I'll have a new wardrobe, I'll have restocked toiletries, I'll have spent some time with my mom and brother and being able to socialize with my people again.

But until then, I'm seriously working on fumes right now.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13426 on: November 02, 2021, 08:15:16 am »
Chin up! We're well past the semester mid point! Soon it'll be back to back Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's Day holiday lessons! Those are always a blast!
But, yeah, I'm looking forward to vacation season as well. I probably can't go anywhere out of country(we have a 2 year old who obviously can't be vaccinated, so quarantine regulations are a bit of an issue), but it'll sure be nice to relax for a bit1
... and are those fumes possibly originating from the most destructive forces in human history?   :shocked: :wink:

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #13427 on: November 02, 2021, 09:24:06 am »
The past couple of weeks have been really, really hard. It's not going to get any better until this semester finally ends, too.

Kind of dreading next year as the problems that exist now are definitely going to carry over, but I'll be nice and recharged by then. I'll have spent a few weeks outside of Korea, I'll have a new wardrobe, I'll have restocked toiletries, I'll have spent some time with my mom and brother and being able to socialize with my people again.

But until then, I'm seriously working on fumes right now.

Are we allowed to travel outside of Korea this winter? :o
I haven't heard a travel update in a while.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13428 on: November 02, 2021, 09:27:28 am »
HOAs are the strangest concept to me. "Our collective property prices will go down if someone paints their garage door brown."

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/17v1fx/what_are_your_homeowners_association_hoa_horror/

HOAs are weird.  They  are Communist villages in the midst of a capitalist free society.  My relatives complain about them all the time.  And half the time, the local government cops out on their responsibility and then make the HOA do it.  They even have to pay for more police patrols.  No gated community or anything.  Dumb as Commie shit with lots of bitching and lame rule management.  Never saw such a thing in Canada.  People mind their own business though something extreme the city will come by and warn you or fine you for repeated offences.  But nothing as intense as these homeowners associations.  You must comply and do as you are told always with those things with lots of nitpicking and nagging.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13429 on: November 02, 2021, 09:29:02 am »

I wouldn't plan on it.  I think Turdo in Canada said you wouldn't be allowed to fly out or it would be difficult.  So, if you went home may be difficult to leave,  Then another corona surge and everything gets tightened up while you are gone.  Not wise to leave.  Plus umpteen hours gagging behind a mask on a plane.  No thanks. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13430 on: November 02, 2021, 09:29:29 am »

There should be a travel updates sticky thread considering what's gone on the last year and a half and how important vacations abroad are for a lot of us.  I keep longingly searching flights on Kayak for February and really want to click "buy'. I want to be able take advantage of my Korean Air Morning Calm status before I lose it. 

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13431 on: November 02, 2021, 09:43:36 am »
I wouldn't plan on it.  I think Turdo in Canada said you wouldn't be allowed to fly out or it would be difficult.  So, if you went home may be difficult to leave,  Then another corona surge and everything gets tightened up while you are gone.  Not wise to leave.  Plus umpteen hours gagging behind a mask on a plane.  No thanks.

I'm not Canadian though. :o

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13432 on: November 02, 2021, 09:45:28 am »

Isn't that dependent on where you want to go? It seems straight forward to get a re-entry permit. And if you've been vaccinated you won't need to quarantine upon your return (which has now been reduced to 10 days for those that require it.) Leaving and returning to Korea wouldn't be the problem.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13433 on: November 02, 2021, 09:45:50 am »
There should be a travel updates sticky thread considering what's gone on the last year and a half and how important vacations abroad are for a lot of us.  I keep longingly searching flights on Kayak for February and really want to click "buy'. I want to be able take advantage of my Korean Air Morning Calm status before I lose it.

Yeah, the last thing I heard was before summer. They were working on a travel bubble with nearby countries that have handled covid well - Taiwan and such.
But, thought we still need special permission from immigration to leave, I haven't heard a change from this.
I know a teacher in my area went back to the US during chuseok for a week, but no idea how they were able to haha.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #13434 on: November 02, 2021, 09:46:47 am »
Isn't that dependent on where you want to go? It seems straight forward to get a re-entry permit. And if you've been vaccinated you won't need to quarantine upon your return (which has now been reduced to 10 days for those that require it.) Leaving and returning to Korea wouldn't be the problem.

No idea, like I mentioned, I haven't heard any updates in terms of traveling since before summer.
I'm fully vaxxed though. :o

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13435 on: November 02, 2021, 09:51:23 am »
No idea, like I mentioned, I haven't heard any updates in terms of traveling since before summer.
I'm fully vaxxed though. :o

I suppose, in theory, they could refuse to give you a re-entry permit.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13436 on: November 02, 2021, 09:51:34 am »
I'm not Canadian though. :o

You're lucky not to have a shit leader like that.  Though if you're American, Biden ain't much better. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13437 on: November 02, 2021, 10:04:40 am »
Kayos is fortunate to come from a country that took social distancing measures, mask mandates, and travel restrictions super seriously, unlike Canada and the US.
As a result, they've only had about 6,500 infections, and only 28 covid related deaths (one of the lowest per capita in the world).  :smiley:

Although from what I can tell, NZ has seen a bit of an uptick recently with the new variants.  :sad:

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13438 on: November 02, 2021, 10:07:16 am »
Kayos is fortunate to come from a country that took social distancing measures, mask mandates, and travel restrictions super seriously, unlike Canada and the US.
As a result, they've only had about 6,500 infections, and only 28 covid related deaths (one of the lowest per capita in the world).  :smiley:

Although from what I can tell, NZ has seen a bit of an uptick recently with the new variants.  :sad:

Herd immunity is low there now and once things open up a bit it spreads.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13439 on: November 02, 2021, 10:13:47 am »
From what I can tell, NZ has 88% of it's pop vaccinated with 1 dose, and 76% with the full 2 dose course. They haven't opened up yet.
  They've achieved the 70% herd immunity threshold some time ago (although they haven't quite hit the 90% threshold they're aiming for before lifting all restrictions).

[Source]