Read 2728791 times

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13320 on: October 15, 2021, 03:14:44 pm »
Part of the final assignment for my dreaded Afrikaans module is to write an original essay.

It's not a long essay, but I've got to choose from a list of topics:

- Seasons of Life
- Can't get it out of my mind
- It's spring in my heart

The sounds like the type of sh*t 12yr old lovestruck girls, who're really into horses, write about. FFS, your students are in their 20s and 30s!

This is your chance to put yourself into the shoes of the 12 year old lovestruck girls you'll be teaching. It's spring in your heart. Now write about it  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #13321 on: October 15, 2021, 03:25:14 pm »
Part of the final assignment for my dreaded Afrikaans module is to write an original essay.

It's not a long essay, but I've got to choose from a list of topics:

- Seasons of Life
- Can't get it out of my mind
- It's spring in my heart

The sounds like the type of sh*t 12yr old lovestruck girls, who're really into horses, write about. FFS, your students are in their 20s and 30s!
You could go dark on the second one.

« Reply #13322 on: October 19, 2021, 03:08:51 pm »
The codling of the CT at my Tuesday school is driving me up the wall.

Today, I gave the 5th grade students a worksheet on numbers, they enjoyed it. This would be my final lesson on numbers, they're familiar with how to read and write numbers into the trillions using a very simple technique I taught.

Part of the worksheet included a section where they had to fill in the question:

Q - ___________________ ___________________
A - 5000 won

So a student might fill in:

Q - (How much is the ice-cream?)
A - 5000 won

I added some ridiculously high numbers, in the billions, to encourage them to get fun and creative with their answers (got a lot of requests of how to spell Chanel, Gucci, Prada etc.)
I also provided simple picture dictionaries, with nouns, so even the lowest level student could just find a picture of an airplane and copy the spelling.

I modified a few of the questions so the numbers would be written in words:

Q - ___________________ ___________________ __
A - It's Fifty-five thousand won

Obviously, this amount of thought process was too much to expect from some students, particularly the laziest ones who ask the teacher to explain and do "EVERYTHING" for them. While I was busy with a student, my
CT wrote down all the worded numbers from the worksheet into numbers so the students no longer had to open their notebooks, check the number spelling they wrote down last week, to verify and work out for themselves.

Last week, I gave my 4th graders a worksheet for comprehension. A few simple sentences were written on the worksheet  eg.

(The red fox is on the bed)
(The cat is big)
(The dog is in the box)

The students would read these sentences and draw an appropriate pictures next to each sentence. This was all well within their ability is I've been gradually working from vowels, consonants, CVC words, basic sight words and  long vowel sounds
since the beginning of the year. What did she do? She hastily drew her own pictures next to each sentence and stuck it on the board... Now English class has become art class, all they had to do was copy her drawings.

What the actual f*ck is wrong with you, lady?

« Reply #13323 on: October 20, 2021, 08:09:41 am »
The codling of the CT at my Tuesday school is driving me up the wall.

Yeah, I have a similar situation at my middle school. One co teacher constantly translates EVERYTHING. The kids don't even try, even though it's MIDDLE SCHOOL and I use plenty of gestures. We'll play games every so often where half the challenge is understanding the question ("Jeju island is famous for this fruit." -> tangerine/orange). And she'll instantly translate the question and OF COURSE the game becomes a bit boring/too easy since even my lowest level kids know "orange."

Like...at least wait for kids to ask... or only translate "famous" and let kids still try to work out what the sentence means..

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13324 on: October 20, 2021, 03:07:22 pm »
A state-backed propaganda epic depicting the defeat of US troops to Chinese soldiers during the Korean War is currently on track to become China's highest-grossing film ever.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/squid-game-unlikely-adapted-chinese-043214386.html

The film coincided with a concerted effort by Beijing to whip up nationalist sentiment on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Chinese Communist Party.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #13325 on: October 20, 2021, 03:17:26 pm »
look im no tankie and i have as many problems with the chinese government as the next guy, but isn't this like every hollywood war movie? a couple of americans in a tank blowing german tanks to bits and whatnot?

of course, we were on the right side ;) but it seems no less nationalist?

i have a strong feeling im gonna get skewered for this
more gg more skill

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13326 on: October 20, 2021, 03:31:22 pm »
look im no tankie and i have as many problems with the chinese government as the next guy, but isn't this like every hollywood war movie? a couple of americans in a tank blowing german tanks to bits and whatnot?

of course, we were on the right side ;) but it seems no less nationalist?

i have a strong feeling im gonna get skewered for this

i dont disagree that we have an equally strong nationalistic streak, but the key difference is hollywood doing it themselves to appeal to the redneck demographic vs. a state-sponsored movie for general consumption or whatever.

of course the USA has put out plenty of propaganda of its own, so you have a point either way, i just dont necessarily think hollywood films count towards that lol

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13327 on: October 20, 2021, 03:48:10 pm »
Are you kidding me? How is a Chinese victory over the Americans in the Korean War equivalent to a an American victory over Germans in World War II? Chinese involvement in the Korean War is the reason North Korea exists today. Untold suffering.

« Reply #13328 on: October 20, 2021, 04:08:13 pm »
Are you kidding me? How is a Chinese victory over the Americans in the Korean War equivalent to a an American victory over Germans in World War II? Chinese involvement in the Korean War is the reason North Korea exists today. Untold suffering.
Well at the time in 1950 the world was still dealing with that whole "Europeans+Japan have the right to own and colonize the rest of the world and deny their subjects equality, freedom and independence" thing. The Chinese at the tike had no idea if the Americans were just going to be another iteration of the British, French, Japanese, Belgians, Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish that had come along.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #13329 on: October 21, 2021, 07:30:21 am »
i dont disagree that we have an equally strong nationalistic streak, but the key difference is hollywood doing it themselves to appeal to the redneck demographic vs. a state-sponsored movie for general consumption or whatever.

of course the USA has put out plenty of propaganda of its own, so you have a point either way, i just dont necessarily think hollywood films count towards that lol

that is a key difference. excellent point, sticky

!delta
more gg more skill

« Reply #13330 on: October 21, 2021, 11:43:04 am »
My schools have started using the heaters already. I don't think it's cold enough for that, yet, but it wouldn't be as much of an issue if they didn't crank it so high.

I felt like I've been walking in and out of boilers all morning.

« Reply #13331 on: October 21, 2021, 12:29:04 pm »

Counterpoint: A lot of those Hollywood blockbusters are made in cooperation with the U.S. Military and thus the line between government and private gets blurred considerably.

Top Gun and Hunt for Red October had massive support from the U.S. Navy. Black Hawk Down got considerable support from the U.S. Army.

« Reply #13332 on: October 22, 2021, 01:24:46 am »
I've read on this forum so MANY times about feminism/feminazis/3rd wave feminists!  A lot of fear from a lot of men...I don't think a lot of men know what they are even complaining about when it comes to feminism at all.  They are focusing on a minority of radical feminists.  At its core feminism is just about equality. 

This article from Forbes is really coherent and can assuage some men's fears about what feminism means at its core.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathycaprino/2017/03/08/what-is-feminism-and-why-do-so-many-women-and-men-hate-it/?sh=862a28d7e8e6

Also food for thought...look at Women's Suffrage (the ability for Women to even actually VOTE) in this wikipedia link
which shows in each country when women were allowed to vote. For me this is  crazy when I look at this... If it weren't for feminists I wouldn't even be able to vote, the basic right of a citizen.  The average is about 1950!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_suffrage

I'm also providing a link I found in the Forbes article (it was a TED talk) which talks about biases
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq_xYSOZrgU

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 02:04:12 am by dippedinblush »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13333 on: October 22, 2021, 04:33:28 am »
My schools have started using the heaters already. I don't think it's cold enough for that, yet, but it wouldn't be as much of an issue if they didn't crank it so high.

By burning fossil fuels, they're hastening climate change and increasing fine dust air pollution. The higher the heat, the more environmental destruction.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13334 on: October 22, 2021, 07:42:45 am »
Which is why its very sad that KLorea is turning away from nuclear plants.
Imagine, rather than choking on noxious fumes, one could be basking in the healthy glow of ionizing radiation!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13335 on: October 24, 2021, 04:16:31 pm »
Nearly 70 percent of the population has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, but some people still believe and spread misinformation and conspiracy theories about the vaccines, refusing to get injections.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/10/119_317466.html

An even more serious problem is that those people are encouraging others around them not to get vaccinated.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _________________

How long until society can get back to normal? When's this pandemic gonna end?  :cry:

« Reply #13336 on: October 24, 2021, 04:36:02 pm »
Nearly 70 percent of the population has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, but some people still believe and spread misinformation and conspiracy theories about the vaccines, refusing to get injections.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2021/10/119_317466.html

An even more serious problem is that those people are encouraging others around them not to get vaccinated.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _________________

How long until society can get back to normal? When's this pandemic gonna end?  :cry:

With you on this LI. The anti vaxes and conspiracy theorists are making it so difficult for the rest.
22 months since I've been to a restaurant. 23 months since I've spent a night away from my house. We went for a family walk around the lake a couple of minutes from my house, this afternoon. Having a face full of mask just made it unpleasant. Back to some sort of normal would be so good.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13337 on: October 25, 2021, 06:29:16 pm »
Gotta take a coronavirus test to travel abroad. That blows, especially considering the high cost. Foreigners have to pay extra:

Who else was thinking once we got vaccinated we'd be good to go? Well, we thought wrong. We'll be having to wear masks for a looonnngg time to come.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 06:47:44 pm by L I »

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #13338 on: October 25, 2021, 07:26:02 pm »
Gotta take a coronavirus test to travel abroad. That blows, especially considering the high cost. Foreigners have to pay extra:

Who else was thinking once we got vaccinated we'd be good to go? Well, we thought wrong. We'll be having to wear masks for a looonnngg time to come.

You don't have to get tested to travel abroad. That depends on your destination. Some places require a negative test ( no more than 72 hours before departure) to even board the plane or enter said country. You can prepare this test at designated places all over the country. It costs 70-80k but there are some cheaper places too.
If someone is dumb enough to go to the airport without one, they can have it done there.
Korea doesn't require a negative test to exit the country!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:28:45 pm by Lazio »

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13339 on: October 26, 2021, 07:33:54 am »

Last time I checked, the price was actually based on contributing to the NHIS. Foreigners who have national health insurance pay the same price as Koreans. You also don't need to get the test done at the airport. Go to a local clinic/hospital/health center and get one. It will be cheaper than the airport test.