Read 2728783 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13240 on: September 29, 2021, 06:51:12 pm »
Lose some weight. You know, comorbidities and all that, plus you won't be bothered by the heat as much.

No way DeMartino!  Last week all of the air conditioners in my school on the top two floors were out of order and it was so so humid and stuffy because of the weather, even though we opened all the windows (usually the weather and temp is not like this for the end of September). 

The Administrative office fixed the air conditioners in two days despite the date (almost October).  Every teacher and student complained because we were sweating and very uncomfortable.  The humidity is the problem!..Not the temperature.

I am a normal weight and I was perspiring like crazy.  Add to that 30 plus bodies in a room....yuck.

Now maybe you are talking about someone's personal home...and I will say that I haven't used my air conditioner for two weeks cause I have a good crossbreeze and I can use my fan to direct the air flow.

People that don't have that, I can totally understand them using their airconditioner right now. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 07:01:24 pm by dippedinblush »

« Reply #13241 on: September 29, 2021, 07:00:01 pm »
No way DeMartino!  Last week all of the air conditioners in my school on the top two floors was out of order and it was so so humid and stuffy because of the weather, even though we opened all the windows (usually the weather and temp is not like this for the end of September). 

The Administrative office fixed the air conditioners in two days despite the date (almost October).  Every teacher and student complained because we were sweating and very uncomfortable.  The humidity is the problem!..Not the temperature.

I am a normal weight and I was perspiring like crazy.  Add to that 30 plus bodies in a room....yuck.
This was a bit of jab at hangook77 and his vax stance.

Man is like "Just lose weight and beat COVID".

Alright. "Lose weight and beat the heat!" If you want to go down that road lol.

« Reply #13242 on: September 29, 2021, 07:04:07 pm »
OK, gotcha!  I don't read a lot of the threads fully.  P.S. You are so silly DM :cheesy:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 07:09:35 pm by dippedinblush »

« Reply #13243 on: September 29, 2021, 07:56:05 pm »
On the contrary, you've given no evidence as to whether they do or do not listen to rock music. All you've offered is loose conjecture and anecdotes which you've tried to pass off as a comprehensive cultural commentary on the black community's music tastes.

Unfortunately, streaming is not broken down into racial groups percentages.
Questions, for you and everyone else-
1) Why do you assume they're lying when they say they don't know The Beatles or the song?
2) If they are lying, how come their comment pages aren't filled with black people being surprised they don't know The Beatles and calling them liars?

The attempted answers to this should be good.

« Reply #13244 on: September 29, 2021, 07:58:41 pm »
OK, gotcha!  I don't read a lot of the threads fully.  P.S. You are so silly DM :cheesy:
Lol. Thanks. Though I think most here would use some other adjectives!

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #13245 on: September 29, 2021, 08:13:14 pm »
1) Why do you assume they're lying when they say they don't know The Beatles or the song?
2) If they are lying, how come their comment pages aren't filled with black people being surprised they don't know The Beatles and calling them liars?

1) Why do you assume they're not? There's a reason why there's no YouTube videos with "Person listens to their favorite song for the 100th time - see their stunned reaction" as the title.
2) People see it for what it is, a niche attempt to gain more viewers by pleading ignorance. It was interesting the first couple of times but now those videos are just boring.

« Reply #13246 on: September 29, 2021, 08:14:36 pm »
Lol. Thanks. Though I think most here would use some other adjectives!

You are also very kind and caring too....You have PM'd me and given me great advice which was not just based on "URI NARA", it was based on empathy and concern.  I think others should know you are not just that URI NARA person....although I think you are being silly with this shit rn tbo..... LOL

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13247 on: September 30, 2021, 07:57:43 am »

So you went on all the reaction sites I was referencing and read all the comments?  Alone that's amazing.  How did you know which ones I was talking about?  And not everyone is you.  You couldn't read the Food You Miss thread without looking to argue, but most people are a little more secure and just move on.  Something, you are unable to do. 

Again, for some reason you elevate your answers as gospel, yet even before you've read any you are already referring to others answers as "attempted."  You are an authority on the west and on Korea in nobody's eyes.  You need to realise that.  I know your short man syndrome won't allow that FACT to stop you from making an ass of yourself on here, but I just feel you should know,  Your comments carry very little weight. 

I stand by what I've said.  Some savvy Black Youtubers knew how to draw in numbers by playing to the music tastes of white folk.  They know what they're doing. Then everyone piled in.  It's like Koreans seeing a certain kind of business is doing well, so they open the same kind of business two doors up and wonder why it seems they both only have half the business as before.  Then they see a third business opening at the corner. 

HaHa, got six classes in a row and a baseball game to check in on when I have time.  I thought I'd throw in the Korean business parallel to give Marti a bone for the day. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13248 on: September 30, 2021, 09:09:52 am »
Some students attitudes really piss me off. This is more related to Zoom classes.

I'll ask a question. Today it was "What do you wonder about?" Their goal was to make a sentence and then I would look it up on google.

So I pull a student's number randomly (getting volunteers is hard and once those volunteers have all gone, you kinda have to start pointing fingers).

:police: Alright Sheila, what do you wonder about?

*microphone goes on*

5 seconds pass

:police: Sheila?

5 seconds pass

:police: Sheila, what do you wonder about? What is your sentence?

10 seconds

Co-T: Sheila, what are you doing? What is your sentence?

5 secs pass

:police: Sheila, do you or do you NOT have a sentence.

10 secs pass

:-* 선생님, 모르겠어요

:police: Well, then tell me that first. Stop wasting our time.

___________________ ___________________ _____________

Honestly, I'm gonna find out eventually that you don't have any work done. You can waste 5 secs of class time or just sit there with your mic on for a minute and freeze. I understand that this stuff isn't easy, however............ .....

I gave you 3 mins to make one sentence, prior to sharing the questions. You're at home on a computer, bloody translate it. I can't tell that you used the translation app, and, even if I would RATHER have you think it up yourself, AN answer is better than NO answer.

If you REALLY are lost, just tell me. Again, I'm gonna find out you have no answer anyway. "Hey, question. What is it, Sheila? :)" *4 secs go by* "Welp, you're off the hook, Sheila. BYE!" Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

I told the class, you can waste 5 secs of my time or a minute. The minute waste makes me WAY more upset.

UGH 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 09:12:48 am by CO2 »

« Reply #13249 on: September 30, 2021, 09:34:47 am »
C02 you literally just described my first period class today~

Those types of students make the class come to a grinding halt, and if you have enough of these slug-types in one class, teaching becomes painful!~  It seems as if students like "Sheila" just have no shame in wasting everyone's time and making the whole mood AWKWARD!  Like, Sheila, everyone is staring at you, waiting for you to say something, ANYTHING....and you're fumbling around with your mic, staring blankly and apathetically at the screen like HUH, DUH, WUH!!!  I sometimes want to yell T-T-T-TODAY, JUNIOR!!!!!!

I'm also soooo over asking the students to turn on their mics over and over and over.  It's like they'll turn them back on for 30 seconds and then turn  them off again. LOL   GRRRRRRRR! 

P.S.  the fact that you named her Sheila is so perfect!!!!  :laugh: 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 09:41:05 am by dippedinblush »

« Reply #13250 on: September 30, 2021, 10:59:49 am »
So you went on all the reaction sites I was referencing and read all the comments?  Alone that's amazing.  How did you know which ones I was talking about?  And not everyone is you.  You couldn't read the Food You Miss thread without looking to argue, but most people are a little more secure and just move on.  Something, you are unable to do. 

Again, for some reason you elevate your answers as gospel, yet even before you've read any you are already referring to others answers as "attempted."  You are an authority on the west and on Korea in nobody's eyes.  You need to realise that.  I know your short man syndrome won't allow that FACT to stop you from making an ass of yourself on here, but I just feel you should know,  Your comments carry very little weight. 

I stand by what I've said.  Some savvy Black Youtubers knew how to draw in numbers by playing to the music tastes of white folk.  They know what they're doing. Then everyone piled in.  It's like Koreans seeing a certain kind of business is doing well, so they open the same kind of business two doors up and wonder why it seems they both only have half the business as before.  Then they see a third business opening at the corner. 

HaHa, got six classes in a row and a baseball game to check in on when I have time.  I thought I'd throw in the Korean business parallel to give Marti a bone for the day. 
Dude, you're not arguing the point, you're just personally attacking me.

Black person says "I've never heard this music before. As a black person, we didn't grow up listening to this kind of music."

Reaction A: "Oh really? I guess that makes sense. What kind of music did you listen to? Who was big? Lets hear your thoughts on this Beatles song."

Reaction B: "You're lying and saying this for attention. Of course you know The Beatles. Of course The Beatles were a thing. How can you not know The Beatles? Whats wrong with you? You're LYING."

One reaction is normal, the other reaction is someone unhinged.

Lets look at the evidence for this being possible-
1) The lack of black people saying this isnt a thing
2) The fact that most people accept that the youtubers are listening for the first time
3) The fact that black people in America have their own strong vibrant musical tradition that permeates black life
4) The fact that many black communities are quite isolated from white American life. Even in big cities. Like, you won't see a white person for weeks or months.
5) We ourselves personally live this where expats in Korea, including long-termers are completely oblivious to Korean stuff.

Thats before you get to any personal experiences.

I just don't get why you can't accept their claim and insist they're lying? Like, that seems pretty presumptuous.

« Reply #13251 on: September 30, 2021, 11:05:16 am »
Where did I argue on the food thread? SPQR started it with his baseless rant.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:08:01 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13252 on: September 30, 2021, 11:22:18 am »
Damn MeMartino going after the fat folks. if this had been a Korean complaining about it being cold abroad you would have wrote "millions of years of genetics . . . educate yourself".

Oh yeah and news flash not everyone lives in Seoul. Hence why folk can't just nip to the shop to buy 3 ounces of momma's home grown cottage cheese. 

I ain't fat sunny boy.  Korea is a hot and humid country with the heat lasting longer the last few years.  My air con works fine right now.  As for Cottage cheese.  Not sure what you are rambling on about.  I never mentioned anything about cheese in my spiel.  Get off the drugs.  As for Dee Martino, he must defend anything Korean at all costs. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13253 on: September 30, 2021, 11:38:25 am »
Some students attitudes really piss me off. This is more related to Zoom classes.

I'll ask a question. Today it was "What do you wonder about?" Their goal was to make a sentence and then I would look it up on google.

So I pull a student's number randomly (getting volunteers is hard and once those volunteers have all gone, you kinda have to start pointing fingers).

:police: Alright Sheila, what do you wonder about?

*microphone goes on*

5 seconds pass

:police: Sheila?

5 seconds pass

:police: Sheila, what do you wonder about? What is your sentence?

10 seconds

Co-T: Sheila, what are you doing? What is your sentence?

5 secs pass

:police: Sheila, do you or do you NOT have a sentence.

10 secs pass

:-* 선생님, 모르겠어요

:police: Well, then tell me that first. Stop wasting our time.

___________________ ___________________ _____________

Honestly, I'm gonna find out eventually that you don't have any work done. You can waste 5 secs of class time or just sit there with your mic on for a minute and freeze. I understand that this stuff isn't easy, however............ .....

I gave you 3 mins to make one sentence, prior to sharing the questions. You're at home on a computer, bloody translate it. I can't tell that you used the translation app, and, even if I would RATHER have you think it up yourself, AN answer is better than NO answer.

If you REALLY are lost, just tell me. Again, I'm gonna find out you have no answer anyway. "Hey, question. What is it, Sheila? :)" *4 secs go by* "Welp, you're off the hook, Sheila. BYE!" Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

I told the class, you can waste 5 secs of my time or a minute. The minute waste makes me WAY more upset.

UGH 

You still doing the online classes?  Wow!  My schools haven't done that since 2020.

« Reply #13254 on: September 30, 2021, 11:42:17 am »
I ain't fat sunny boy. 
Picture you posted wasn't exactly svelte.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13255 on: September 30, 2021, 11:45:14 am »
You still doing the online classes?  Wow!  My schools haven't done that since 2020.

Welcome to 수도권. It's 2 grades here, one grade online.

« Reply #13256 on: September 30, 2021, 12:19:48 pm »

What would really super irritate me about all of this is when they'd be all silent for me but would then immediately answer my coT. For some of the students I know it's because of anxiety, but for others it's more like:

That's okay, kid, we're going to see each other face-to-face next week, and I'm going to make you answer every_single_questi on.  :evil:

« Reply #13257 on: September 30, 2021, 01:04:48 pm »
What would really super irritate me about all of this is when they'd be all silent for me but would then immediately answer my coT. For some of the students I know it's because of anxiety, but for others it's more like:

I get those, but what I found more annoying are the robots.

The poor robots aren't lazy, they've just had every iota of critical thinking beaten out of them, all they understand is 'listen and repeat'.

(Calling students to my desk so they can read their work, labels above pictures)
(I'm informally assessing reading and comprehension)

Me - What's this <points at athlete>

Robot - athlete

Me - Good, name 3 athletes.

Robot - ...Name 3 athletes

Me - ...No, name 3 athletes, like Messi, Ronaldo, Usain Bolt <Showing my hand as I count on my fingers>

Robot - ....... <shows hand and counts as he say> .... name...three...athl ete

Me -.... What's your name?

Robot -....What's your name?

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #13258 on: September 30, 2021, 02:08:43 pm »
I get those, but what I found more annoying are the robots.

The poor robots aren't lazy, they've just had every iota of critical thinking beaten out of them, all they understand is 'listen and repeat'.

(Calling students to my desk so they can read their work, labels above pictures)
(I'm informally assessing reading and comprehension)

Me - What's this <points at athlete>

Robot - athlete

Me - Good, name 3 athletes.

Robot - ...Name 3 athletes

Me - ...No, name 3 athletes, like Messi, Ronaldo, Usain Bolt <Showing my hand as I count on my fingers>

Robot - ....... <shows hand and counts as he say> .... name...three...athl ete

Me -.... What's your name?

Robot -....What's your name?

I get your frustration at that. But, to also be fair, I couldn't name 3 athletes myself haha.
I think the worst are the ones who have just given up. What you do informally is essentially what I do for my speaking tests, just 1 on 1 with the questions we've been learning in class.
I have some minor visual aids for a couple questions / for the lower level students, but I have grade 3 middle schoolers that will say "I don't know" before I've even finished the question, and I have questions like: What's your favourite X?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13259 on: September 30, 2021, 02:24:15 pm »
I couldn't name 3 athletes myself haha.

You’ve never heard of Michael Jordan? Wayne Gretzky? Muhammad Ali? Tom Brady? Kim Yuna? Babe Ruth? Tiger Woods? None of those names ring a bell?