Read 3173264 times

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13200 on: September 29, 2021, 07:35:48 am »
Is there some of that? Sure. But that doesn't mean it isn't genuine for many.

Like I said, just because some people think EVERYONE knows a certain song doesn't make it true.

Awareness of popular music and TV is not that universal.

Remember when the room temperature thread happened and everyone thought it was "weird" that people found 24 "cold" and I was like uhh...thats a thing a with women and black people. You know the whole taking coats to the movies and shopping malls thing which was greeted by a collective "Huh???"

Like thats something really basic. I've known it since elementary school. But if you didnt grow up in a diverse community you'd have zero concept of it. I'm telling you, music and Seinfeld is the same thing.

I don't recall that discussion, but seeing as I grew up in a diverse city and most people here did, you're not considered the authority on these matters that you seem to believe you are.  It means nothing to me when you start to make sh*t up off the top of your head about what is going on in Black communities.  You operate under the assumption your experiences in the metropolises of Minnesota or wherever you're from are the yard stick for the rest of us.  I've been to Minneapolis.  Seemed pretty white to me compared to Toronto.  We also know what happens in other ethnic communities.  Thanks for condescending, though. 

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #13201 on: September 29, 2021, 11:42:11 am »
I don't recall that discussion, but seeing as I grew up in a diverse city and most people here did, you're not considered the authority on these matters that you seem to believe you are.  It means nothing to me when you start to make sh*t up off the top of your head about what is going on in Black communities.  You operate under the assumption your experiences in the metropolises of Minnesota or wherever you're from are the yard stick for the rest of us.  I've been to Minneapolis.  Seemed pretty white to me compared to Toronto.  We also know what happens in other ethnic communities.  Thanks for condescending, though. 

The tale he spun way back on Dave's was that Marty grew up in Detroit and his family had a farm there (yeah, Detroit) and he worked in a pizza hut whilst learning to fly planes. So, of course, he knows all about black communities and black culture.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13202 on: September 29, 2021, 11:45:06 am »
The tale he spun way back on Dave's was that Marty grew up in Detroit and his family had a farm there (yeah, Detroit) and he worked in a pizza hut whilst learning to fly planes. So, of course, he knows all about black communities and black culture.

Well, Marti is proof, if you just imagine your past, you can have done anything!

« Reply #13203 on: September 29, 2021, 12:22:42 pm »
If you knew anything about Dave's, you'd know Captain Corea once suggested I was making it all up, then I friended him on facebook. Never said a word after that.

Anyways, if you had read carefully you'd know it was

Grew up on farm outside of Ann Arbor. You know in SE Michigan you can drive 15 minutes and then be out in the countryside, yes?
Grandparents on one side lived in Detroit. Would go there a lot. Latter with friends.
Latter lived in Ypsilanti after moving out.

Yes, my parents owned a small plane. Just like tens of thousands of other families around the United States. Some dads had motorcycles. Some had old cars. Some had boats. My dad had a plane. (well and then he got the Triumph, fixed it and sold it before I could even ride it...and the hovercraft he built...and then sold...)

I got lucky with my upbringing and I'm not going to apologize for it. The fact that you think this is somehow impossible is more a reflection on your poor thinking skills and understanding. Or perhaps its a reflection on your own bland childhood. I'm sorry if that's what you had, but it's not my fault and you shouldn't take it out on me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 12:29:27 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #13204 on: September 29, 2021, 12:47:04 pm »
We also know what happens in other ethnic communities.  Thanks for condescending, though. 
Lol. You don't know shit. What you think you know because you rolled through Chinatown in Toronto once? Did you pull a Rob Ford and go blaze one with the homies once?Notice how none of your points are based on person-to-person experience? It's all "I grew up in a diverse city, so I would know."

I'm telling you that this whole "I don't know The Beatles" thing is real because I've actually been there for it. In person. Yes, it's a thing. Yes, some black people have never watched Seinfeld. Just like some white people have never watched Living Single. White people going up to black people and making a big deal about "What? You don't know who AC/DC is? You've never listened to the Rolling Stones? You don't think The Beatles are the greatest thing ever?" is something black people vent about. How do I know this? Because I've been there multiple times in houses or at cookouts or in cars as black people vented about it or something similar. Anyone who has spent any decent amount of time around black folks would know this and know that it's something black people have to put up with. You'd know if you spent a day.

Since you know so much, answer me this- Why don't most black kids who grew up in black neighborhoods listen to rock and why wouldn't they know who The Beatles are (in all but the most basic of terms)? You should know. You claim to know "ethnic communities." Well then you should know this, both the simple answer and the details.

« Reply #13205 on: September 29, 2021, 01:03:57 pm »
Also, notice how you've stopped making points and giving examples of how black people SHOULD know this? Lets see so far
1) You didn't get the Seinfeld-Curb joke
2) You think all black youtubers are alike and they all come from the same place
3) You haven't grasped that white people could do the same thing both as "10 different kinds of white people" (i.e. suburban/country/British/hipster/etc.) and not know things that black people in majority black communities would all know
4) You haven't noticed how no black person is surprised that another black person doesn't know Seinfeld or The Beatles. It is literally ONLY white people that are surprised that black people don't know this. Why is this? Why are black people not surprised that another black person has never heard The Beatles or watched Seinfeld?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13206 on: September 29, 2021, 01:29:34 pm »
I'm ranting that it stays hot much longer than in past years.  I remember it always cooled off humidity gone by around September 25th.  In recent years, it seems to stick around for two weeks longer and sometimes even 3.  So, on that note, look for October 8th or 9th for the good weather to arrive.  Warm and not humid.  Sadly, that good weather still leaves around the same time and doesn't extend.  Short window around late October temps fall off even more.  Anyways, here's the weather for fall 2021. 
I put this quote under my profile because D.L. Orean is jealous of me.  He quotes my every word like gospel and stalks my every move online.  He even puts fake quotes under his profile.  How lame is that?  He must be real ugly if he's going to such great lengths to comment on my own appearance....

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13207 on: September 29, 2021, 01:35:10 pm »
On the bright side, still some good pics out and about.  Less severe than summer.  (Though why older Koreans have been wearing coats for weeks, I'll never get.  I'll prob get the air conditioner shut off by mid October.)
I put this quote under my profile because D.L. Orean is jealous of me.  He quotes my every word like gospel and stalks my every move online.  He even puts fake quotes under his profile.  How lame is that?  He must be real ugly if he's going to such great lengths to comment on my own appearance....

« Reply #13208 on: September 29, 2021, 01:39:09 pm »
Lose some weight. You know, comorbidities and all that, plus you won't be bothered by the heat as much.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #13209 on: September 29, 2021, 01:40:26 pm »
Lose some weight. You know, comorbidities and all that, plus you won't be bothered by the heat as much.

I did.  Still hot.  I was skinny when I first arrived and it was also too hot here.  Air con works just fine though.

At any rate, the heat lasts longer into the fall than it use to (about past 5 or 6 years or so) and the good weather arrives on October 8th or so.  Just a heads up for anyone making outdoor plans.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:43:25 pm by hangook77 »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13210 on: September 29, 2021, 02:02:06 pm »
Lol. You don't know shit. What you think you know because you rolled through Chinatown in Toronto once? Did you pull a Rob Ford and go blaze one with the homies once?Notice how none of your points are based on person-to-person experience? It's all "I grew up in a diverse city, so I would know."

I'm telling you that this whole "I don't know The Beatles" thing is real because I've actually been there for it. In person. Yes, it's a thing. Yes, some black people have never watched Seinfeld. Just like some white people have never watched Living Single. White people going up to black people and making a big deal about "What? You don't know who AC/DC is? You've never listened to the Rolling Stones? You don't think The Beatles are the greatest thing ever?" is something black people vent about. How do I know this? Because I've been there multiple times in houses or at cookouts or in cars as black people vented about it or something similar. Anyone who has spent any decent amount of time around black folks would know this and know that it's something black people have to put up with. You'd know if you spent a day.

Since you know so much, answer me this- Why don't most black kids who grew up in black neighborhoods listen to rock and why wouldn't they know who The Beatles are (in all but the most basic of terms)? You should know. You claim to know "ethnic communities." Well then you should know this, both the simple answer and the details.

Why would YOU have the answer?  You're not a Black person who grew up in a Black community.  Your person to person experiences are made up. You're full of sh*t as always.  You claim certain things and try to put yourself on a pedestal, then dismiss out of hand other people's claims.  No one gives you that credibility.  You're the most prolific poster on here by far, and theonly  title you've pretty much unanimously earned on here is the guy who knows jacksh*t and lies all the time.  What reality do you live in where you think you get to qualify people's experiences?  The majority of yours are made up, and still unimpressive.  That may be the saddest part.  You've wasted hours on here fabricating a ho hum existence. 

And if you don't get it, I can't explain the Curb clip any better.  The joke is that white people find it funny that Leon doesn't know who Seinfeld is, because they can't imagine people didn't watch it.  Did you get that when Larry asked him if he hadn't ever seen the show? 

Bringing up Rob Ford and one of our Chinatowns signifies you don't know much about Toronto.   I don't think anyone in Toronto considers any of our Chinatowns exotic.  But, where you grew up anyone of a different background was clearly something to take note of.  I did not grow up in the 'burbs or on a farm.  I guess running into some Black people in a Black community was such a mind blower for you it's etched in your memory.  I referred to things like that as the subway ride to school and people I knew.  That's right, my school bus was an underground train and all sorts of people rode it.  Wow!!! 

My favourite Marti line there:

"I'm telling you that this whole "I don't know The Beatles" thing is real because I've actually been there for it. In person." 

HaHaHa, Tru dat, you lived it my man, 8 mile brother.  Idiot. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 02:49:51 pm by OnNut81 »

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #13211 on: September 29, 2021, 02:56:16 pm »
I did.  Still hot.  I was skinny when I first arrived and it was also too hot here.  Air con works just fine though.

At any rate, the heat lasts longer into the fall than it use to (about past 5 or 6 years or so) and the good weather arrives on October 8th or so.  Just a heads up for anyone making outdoor plans.   

Damn MeMartino going after the fat folks. if this had been a Korean complaining about it being cold abroad you would have wrote "millions of years of genetics . . . educate yourself".

Oh yeah and news flash not everyone lives in Seoul. Hence why folk can't just nip to the shop to buy 3 ounces of momma's home grown cottage cheese. 
Soggy undergarments

« Reply #13212 on: September 29, 2021, 02:56:37 pm »
The majority of yours are made up, and still unimpressive.  That may be the saddest part.  You've wasted hours on here fabricating a ho hum existence. 
Again, others have claimed I was making stuff up, both Captain Corea and Mr. C. Both of them were proved wrong. With receipts.

The stuff I've said I've been through isn't that remarkable. I'm sorry if your life is such a pile of nothing that it seems remarkable, but it's not.

on here is the guy who knows jacksh*t and lies all the time.
If you think I'm the one who knows jackshit, it's because you know jackshit. Have you noticed that the people who disagree with me the most (i.e. MayorHaggar, SPQR, gogators!) don't exactly come across as the brightest bulbs?

The joke is that white people find it funny that Leon doesn't know who Seinfeld is, because they can't imagine people didn't watch it.
Yeah, that was my point. White people can't imagine that people haven't watched Seinfeld, but the reality is, for black people, Seinfeld was no big deal and many black people didn't watch it. Why do white people think this way? Because they live in a bubble. And when you say "They know The Beatles", that shows the bubble they live in.

But, where you grew up anyone of a different background was clearly something to take note of.  I did not grow up in the 'burbs or on a farm.  I guess running into some Black people in a Black community was such a mind blower for you it's etched in your memory. 

Ann Arbor is a very diverse city and the schools are incredibly diverse experiences. Ann Arbor is one of the wokest cities in the U.S. And Ypsi and Detroit, well.. you trying to say they're white?

But that doesn't mean shit if you don't actually hang out with other people.

I guess running into some Black people in a Black community was such a mind blower for you it's etched in your memory.  I referred to things like that as the subway ride to school.  That's right, my school bus was an underground train and all sorts of people rode it.  Wow!!!

Again, you seem to think that riding on a subway and living in a diverse city makes you aware.

Nothing you have said involves interacting and talking with black people. It's all "I live in Toronto and it's diverse."

None of you denials involve "I was at a family reunion and everyone was singing The Beatles and Led Zeppelin and talking about who was greater The Beatles or The Stones". No stories about how in church group everyone was talking about Seinfeld and Nirvana.

As I said, this complaint about white people making this assumption is not something I just heard once. It is something that black people HAVE TO PUT UP WITH and all know about.

And you'd know about it too if you'd spent a day. But you haven't. Go talk about how diverse Toronto is we all know that's just cover for the fact that you have ZERO EXPERIENCE.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 03:11:09 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13213 on: September 29, 2021, 03:09:29 pm »
Mr DeMartino: Red Wings --> Wig Nerds

OnNut81: Maple Leafs --> Flame Speal

I know who my money is on!

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13214 on: September 29, 2021, 03:13:20 pm »
Again, others have claimed I was making stuff up, both Captain Corea and Mr. C. Both of them were proved wrong. With receipts.

The stuff I've said I've been through isn't that remarkable. I'm sorry if your life is such a pile of nothing that it seems remarkable, but it's not.
If you think I'm the one who knows jackshit, it's because you know jackshit. Have you noticed that the people who disagree with me the most (i.e. MayorHaggar, SPQR, gogators!) don't exactly come across as the brightest bulbs?
Yeah, that was my point. White people can't imagine that people haven't watched Seinfeld, but the reality is, for black people, Seinfeld was no big deal and many black people didn't watch it. Why do white people think this way? Because they live in a bubble. And when you say "They know The Beatles", that shows the bubble they live in.

Ann Arbor is a very diverse city and the schools are incredibly diverse experiences. Ann Arbor is one of the wokest cities in the U.S. And Ypsi and Detroit, well.. you trying to say they're white?

But that doesn't mean shit if you don't actually hang out with other people.

Again, you seem to think that riding on a subway and living in a diverse city makes you aware.

Nothing you have said involves interacting and talking with black people. It's all "I live in Toronto and it's diverse."

Everyone disagrees with you. 

What have you said that is anything more than I've said.  It's like talking to a child sometimes.  Take a step back and look how juvenile you sound.  One, I don't care if you believe me or not.    Two, what interactions did you reference that have anymore credibility than mine?  Names, dates, transcripts of conversations you had with real Black communities about their taste in music and TV?  Do you see how silly you come across?  You don't believe me and I don't believe you.  And enough with the childish "Oh yeah, well these people didn't believe me and now they believe me. I can guarantee you it's not going to be you that drives me back to rejoining Facebook."  I said Toronto is diverse and you said Ann Arbor is diverse.  Ok, but my statement is just saying it, while yours is...just saying it? 

And going back to my original argument about all these channels on Youtube popping up by Black people claiming not to know anything about these artists or music.  Why are they now all of a sudden throwing up these channels if they don't know or have any interest in who these artists are?  That would seem to contradict your stance, wouldn't it?  How would they know to do 15 different reactions to the Edmund Fitzgerald unless they were aware of what white people were listening to back in the seventies.  But, you claimed from your experiences in "Black like Martino" that they wouldn't know any of that stuff.  Strange, then all these Black Youtubers are just nailing what white people are watching and listening to.  Almost like they know.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13215 on: September 29, 2021, 03:21:54 pm »
This, AGAIN, boils down to awareness and not cultural trends.

I'm aware of the existence of a whole lot of black culture stuff.

I don't care how popular The Beatles are or are not in any given subsection of Western society. If I'm told that a huge chunk of any given group are not even aware that The Beatles are a band............... Like. NO.

White people are not going and putting The Supremes on and saying "SHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT T WAHT IS THIS? WHATTTT?????????" EN MASSE on youtube.

Diana Ross was one of them, they're from the 60s and they're Motown. Done. THAT'S the extent of my knowledge. I'm AWARE they exist.

You keep arguing that Seinfeld wasn't big in the black community. Alright? No one claimed that. And given time, TV ages a lot faster. Ask anyone under 15 if they know what it is, black or not. They might not have heard of it. Music ages less quickly for the true massive artists. Madonna can still tour and sell out massive stadiums. Gilligan's island gets put on channel 453 every Thursday at 1AM cuz the rights are 400$ to air an episode.

« Reply #13216 on: September 29, 2021, 03:34:58 pm »
I don't care how popular The Beatles are or are not in any given subsection of Western society. If I'm told that a huge chunk of any given group are not even aware that The Beatles are a band............... Like. NO.
I don't think any of the reaction vid people are claiming they've never heard of them ever ever, just that they've never heard their music or had it really register, though in some cases that might be true. In a community that's 98% black, things that you assume would penetrate culturally, aren't.

White people are not going and putting The Supremes on and saying "SHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT T WAHT IS THIS? WHATTTT?????????" EN MASSE on youtube
Maybe they should. I bet you could find a bunch of white people who have never listened to Patti LaBelle or Luther Vandross. A bunch of white people had no idea about drumline and the Battle of the Bands until the movie with Nick Canon. Probably no idea about marching band fights.

Maybe you should make a reaction vid for your next vid. Sit down and listen to some Reflections, some Love Child, some Someday We'll be Together, some Stoned Love. "White person listens to Supremes for the first time"

Detroit and SE Michigan, we've had our problems racially, but one thing we all agree on is that Berry Gordy and The Funk Brothers and all the singers of Motown Records made  the greatest music of the 60s and 70s, not some mop-headed Brits whose music you can't even f*ck to.

« Reply #13217 on: September 29, 2021, 03:38:41 pm »
Also, OnNut81, waiting on your answer- Why don't most black kids who grew up in black neighborhoods listen to rock and why wouldn't they know who The Beatles are (in all but the most basic of terms)? You should know. You claim to know "ethnic communities." Well then you should know this, both the simple answer and the details.

« Reply #13218 on: September 29, 2021, 04:10:35 pm »
Maybe they should. I bet you could find a bunch of white people who have never listened to Patti LaBelle or Luther Vandross. A bunch of white people had no idea about drumline and the Battle of the Bands until the movie with Nick Canon. Probably no idea about marching band fights.

I don't think that's really comparing like for like. The only black artist who's come close to the Beatles sales would be Michael Jackson, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of white people of a certain age would know at least one of his songs

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #13219 on: September 29, 2021, 05:28:40 pm »
Also, OnNut81, waiting on your answer- Why don't most black kids who grew up in black neighborhoods listen to rock and why wouldn't they know who The Beatles are (in all but the most basic of terms)? You should know. You claim to know "ethnic communities." Well then you should know this, both the simple answer and the details.

Look at the comment sections of rock music on YouTube. Plenty of black peoples identity with rock music amongst other music genres.