Read 2594941 times

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13140 on: July 09, 2021, 12:55:18 pm »
Why?  What's happened that would affect winter vacation plans?  Looks like students won't be coming in much leading up to the break, but I was also told today our vaccination period would happen between July 28th and August 7th.  They're imposing more stringent restrictions for two weeks, are they not?

We were hoping to meet up with some friends from back home and go for a vacation abroad.
What with the delta variant ramping up here, I worry that social distancing and lockdown regulations will make it difficult to travel.
I also worry that if the vaccines don't prove to be effective against Covid-delta, travel restrictions might come into play again.

I'm certain of nothing, of course, but I do worry.  :sad:

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13141 on: July 09, 2021, 01:06:40 pm »
We were hoping to meet up with some friends from back home and go for a vacation abroad.
What with the delta variant ramping up here, I worry that social distancing and lockdown regulations will make it difficult to travel.
I also worry that if the vaccines don't prove to be effective against Covid-delta, travel restrictions might come into play again.

I'm certain of nothing, of course, but I do worry.  :sad:

Oh, I see you're just concerned about it.  Yeah, me too.  But, I worried you had seen some notice from an office of education banning overseas travel for the remainder of the school year.  I am banking on a few weeks abroad next February to get me through another summer in Korea. 

« Reply #13142 on: July 09, 2021, 01:14:56 pm »
That's the tourism bureau's slogan these days: "It's not the vacation you want to take, it's the vacation you have to take"  I can have fun travelling around Korea, but when my expectation is to be in North America or Europe and I find myself in Korea, it's a downer. 
I think that's fair. People who wish they were able to take a trip back home to see the folks or came over here as part of a greater tourism plan, or had a plan set for some vacation spectacular in Europe or China or wherever, I can sympathize with their frustrations.

The "Dude, I need to get out of here to some SE Asian country so I can do a bunch of drugs and hookers. They need to change the laws!!!!" crowd? Like, get some perspective. Same with the people upset with Level IV because they can't hang out. And same with the people who need to head to Cheonan to party. You can't always think with your glands.

But yeah, some people here seem to have this almost compulsive need to travel and they start to get really selfish about it if anything disrupts that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 01:19:53 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #13143 on: July 09, 2021, 01:15:33 pm »
That's the tourism bureau's slogan these days: "It's not the vacation you want to take, it's the vacation you have to take"  I can have fun travelling around Korea, but when my expectation is to be in North America or Europe and I find myself in Korea, it's a downer. 

To each their own, but it's always baffled me how people think they NEED to leave a country to take a holiday.

For me, travelling is not about relaxing, it's about exploring and discovering. Perhaps I'm getting old, but after a hellish semester like this one, I'm happy staying right where I am during the holiday period.
I've got A/C, a grill, a balcony, a gym, a track, boardgames, music equipment and video games, that's more than enough to charge my batteries.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13144 on: July 09, 2021, 01:23:19 pm »
The "Dude, I need to get out of here to some SE Asian country so I can do a bunch of drugs and hookers. They need to change the laws!!!!" crowd? Like, get some perspective.
I used to think that this was just some kind of crass exaggeration, but I've met some uni instructors who were actually bragging about how they enjoyed that kind of debauchery every winter (minus the drugs because Wow! That might jeopardize their jobs back in Korea!) over in Thailand. It kinda blew my mind how unaware they were about how they were creeping the rest of us totally out. Just gross.

Honestly, I don't think that particular crowd should be teaching in Korea in the first place.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13145 on: July 09, 2021, 01:23:21 pm »
To each their own, but it's always baffled me how people think they NEED to leave a country to take a holiday.

For me, travelling is not about relaxing, it's about exploring and discovering.
Then the beaches of Guam and Thailand aren't for you.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13146 on: July 09, 2021, 01:27:13 pm »
I'm still bitter I can't visit Lichtenstein this vacation. I heard he lives in the tropics.

He promised me a helicopter ride!

« Reply #13147 on: July 09, 2021, 01:29:39 pm »

For me, travelling is not about relaxing, it's about exploring and discovering. Perhaps I'm getting old, but after a hellish semester like this one, I'm happy staying right where I am during the holiday period.
I've got A/C, a grill, a balcony, a gym, a track, boardgames, music equipment and video games, that's more than enough to charge my batteries.

Same for me. I haven't been out of Korea since 2005. I've said before, my idea of a good vacation is sitting on a beach with a few beers and a BBQ. If I can't go to the beach then my home can also be pretty good.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13148 on: July 09, 2021, 01:29:40 pm »

I'm guessing you misquoted me and meant to quote someone who had written something about people NEEDING to leave a country to take a vacation.  I wrote about WANTING to go abroad, as in each to their own, right?  Lots of people want to go and experience a different culture and continent.  I want to, so I do.  If you want to chill out at home, all the power to you.  It's not my thing but it certainly doesn't baffle me when people don't share my taste in vacation styles. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #13149 on: July 09, 2021, 01:31:36 pm »
I'm still bitter I can't visit Lichtenstein this vacation. I heard he lives in the tropics.

He promised me a helicopter ride!

What are you doing in exchange for that fancy helicopter ride?

« Reply #13150 on: July 09, 2021, 01:42:52 pm »
I'm guessing you misquoted me and meant to quote someone who had written something about people NEEDING to leave a country to take a vacation.  I wrote about WANTING to go abroad, as in each to their own, right?  Lots of people want to go and experience a different culture and continent.  I want to, so I do.  If you want to chill out at home, all the power to you.  It's not my thing but it certainly doesn't baffle me when people don't share my taste in vacation styles. 
Yeah, I didn't get that vibe from you at all. Like I said, there's plenty of legit reasons for being bummed and wanting to leave the country. How could anyone begrudge someone who maybe had a big trip across Europe planned or was going to do a once-in-a-lifetime hike across Nepal or something like that and it all got canceled and now they're facing ANOTHER year of waiting?

I think Aristocrat and others are speaking towards the "I NEED to get out of here" crowd that seems to compulsively do it every 6 months, either for some sort of travel obsession or for glandular purposes.

Me personally, I was really looking forward to either going back home and seeing the folks (COVID permitting). Maybe catch up with old friends. It does suck that it looks to be on hold. 

« Reply #13151 on: July 09, 2021, 01:57:11 pm »
Then the beaches of Guam and Thailand aren't for you.

If a beach doesn't have really good waves to surf and/or I don't have my board, I couldn't be less interested.
Decades of the adrenaline of surfing desensitises you to the relatively pointless and boring activity of siting on a beach and doing nothing.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #13152 on: July 09, 2021, 01:58:51 pm »
What are you doing in exchange for that fancy helicopter ride?

휘파람 직업

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13153 on: July 09, 2021, 02:02:41 pm »
Yeah, I didn't get that vibe from you at all. Like I said, there's plenty of legit reasons for being bummed and wanting to leave the country. How could anyone begrudge someone who maybe had a big trip across Europe planned or was going to do a once-in-a-lifetime hike across Nepal or something like that and it all got canceled and now they're facing ANOTHER year of waiting?

I think Aristocrat and others are speaking towards the "I NEED to get out of here" crowd that seems to compulsively do it every 6 months, either for some sort of travel obsession or for glandular purposes.

Me personally, I was really looking forward to either going back home and seeing the folks (COVID permitting). Maybe catch up with old friends. It does suck that it looks to be on hold. 

I understand his point, but was just confused as to why he quoted me.  I spent about a decade where because of a relationship with my Thai ex, it was either trips to Toronto or wherever my dad was living in the U.S. (San Fran area then Florida) and hitting Thailand every year.  I liked it, but once I got my freedom and started dating a Korean woman who not only had a job, but makes a nice chunk more than me, we started going to new places every year and I realised how much I missed it.  So, last year was planned out doing Florence and working our way up to Munich and it was cancelled and cancelled again.  So, staying in Korea, for me, is much less exciting.  In my living memory I've never not at least gone to one other country in a calendar year.  And, yes, I am including crossing the Rainbow Bridge to Niagara Falls, N.Y. in some of my younger years.  That place makes you not want to travel, though.  What a dump. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #13154 on: July 09, 2021, 02:03:32 pm »
I google image searched glandular looking for a funny picture and I very much regret doing that.

Speaking of travel, let's jump back to September of 2019.

:-* Kevin, it's your mother. We're finally, after you living there for 7 years, going to come and visit Korea next year in 2020.

:police: OH SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT T

Well, you can imagine how that turned out.

« Reply #13155 on: July 09, 2021, 02:06:33 pm »
Hahah Demartino!  "Glandular purposes"!!!  :laugh: 

« Reply #13156 on: July 09, 2021, 02:49:12 pm »
I understand his point, but was just confused as to why he quoted me. 

Was just a general response to the gist of what I was reading. Apologies if it felt like a personal attack, it wasn't.

Though not always the case, many who need to travel somewhere every damn weekend or get on a plane every 6 months end up doing little more than travelling between places to eat, drinking, chatting and filling up their Instagram

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #13157 on: July 09, 2021, 02:50:50 pm »
While it is fun. It's actually misleading. If you look at which country more and more develops new words and also injects technical terminology and academic lingo into its vernacular, it is undoubtedly the United States.

In fact, if you look at terms that are used for things, particularly those that are recently developed, American English appears to place a greater emphasis on distinction and concept.

I mean 'elevator vs. lift' and 'parking lot vs. car park' Someone sure is simplified and it's not the Americans.

I could care less.  :blank:
Soggy undergarments

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13158 on: July 09, 2021, 03:05:23 pm »
Was just a general response to the gist of what I was reading. Apologies if it felt like a personal attack, it wasn't.

Though not always the case, many who need to travel somewhere every damn weekend or get on a plane every 6 months end up doing little more than travelling between places to eat, drinking, chatting and filling up their Instagram

Yeah, thanks.  I didn't want to get lumped in with that group.  I know the kind that just have a list of all the places they need to go and take a selfie so they can come back and show everyone what they did.  I don't like to move from place to place.  I like to spend at least a week in a new city and just randomly explore.  My GF is fortunately not concerned with hitting the hot spots as well.  I told her she must be the only South Korean to go to San Francisco and never go on a cable car or go to Alcatraz.  A highlight for me is getting whatever transit pass a city uses for public transportation and getting to know my way around by subway or tram.  If I had an instagram account I don't think a shot of me holding an Oyster Card in front of a tube station would get many likes. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13159 on: July 09, 2021, 03:18:01 pm »
Variety is the spice of life.

Nice to be able leave Korea occasionally. Occasionally, as in once a year or more.

Most people feel that way I think.

Want to have the option to escape the extremely hot and humid summer. And the polluted winter.

Also, to live life. Itís short. Want to experience a lot.